2021 Finals Wk 2: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Sea Eagles
50%
Roosters
No votes
Panthers
30%
Eels
20%

Total votes: 10

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2021 Finals Wk 2: Teams and Game Day

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
BJ wrote: September 19, 2021, 9:02 am Yep. The refs have eased up on calling offside and interference in the ruck during the finals.
Yes, they are refereeing the finals in a very different way. It started a week or two early. It happens every year, but the wild swings in the style of officiating this year have been disgraceful. And the officials are not to blame. The NRL is to blame.
Happened after the 3rd Origin, just gradually winding it back a little - but not telling anyone it was happening. I think it played a large part in our club winning a few games at the back of the year - most notably a 'grinding' win against Parra.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That pass by Ray Stone at the end to Paulo being the decoy pretty much sums up his second half. Mahoney would have made such a big difference to this game. I thought Parra should have won.
Bash and barge game too. Storm should be feeling pretty good about their chances.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 19, 2021, 9:16 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 19, 2021, 8:34 am
greeneyed wrote: September 19, 2021, 8:07 am
Just about wrote the exact same post in another thread. And I promise, hand on heart, I read this one afterwards!
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby ... ff608b3acc

*Canberra Milk and GE not included….
Yeah, I've seen all the media sentiment... I've never felt so outvoted.

The last set, Parra had a set on the Penrith line to win the game... they go to Paulo off the scrum, Regan Campbell Gillard, then Paulo again. Almost beggars belief. "Great game" though, "proud of the boys" lol

With you 100%
that game was CRYING out for someone with some creative flair to take the game over, and had someone been able to do it, his team would have won by 20

I got raiders PTSD watching it... two sides playing for field position, playing for the grind, no one willing to take a chance for fear of giving the other team possession in their attacking half.

It's so evidently clear to me what wins in 2021, and it's expansive football. Manly cut the roosters to ribbons being being aggressive and throwing combo punches from all over the park... Penrith and Parra were playing though their sets and kicking, there was on offer beyond that

So congrats to Parra and their brave effort in such a tough game, their season is over and had someone taken that game, they'd be alive. And shouts to penrith for grinding through to another win, they get the pleasure of walking into the shed down 20+ against melbourne next week if they play like that. Golf claps all around.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Hasn't kikau fallen in a heap at the backend. Do we think it's contract related or he's just not turning up when you expect a strike weapon to?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think Kikau is like most edge forwards
When the halves are playing fast and direct, and with great confidence, an edge forward like Kikau will be a weapon

But the panthers halves are struggling badly at the moment imo. They don’t appear to have a real plan of attack and they’re just trying to get through games. Pressure of a premiership or bust season might be an issue too

But the reality is Kikau is not getting a lot of really quality looks from his halves right now. Edge forwards will always look average when that’s happened
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's a circular argument. Their halves aren't playing behind a dominant pack like last season and earlier in the year. They also aren't questioning the defence as much - not as many bodies in motion - as Gus would say they look tired. Carrying more injuries than last year too.

Last year Barrett was being praised for their attack and with him no longer there... they do say that it takes a season to move on from a former coaches structure and style... maybe that is also part of it.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

zim wrote: September 19, 2021, 12:27 pm Hasn't kikau fallen in a heap at the backend. Do we think it's contract related or he's just not turning up when you expect a strike weapon to?
Kikau had a cut to his right knee which was taped up and also went off early with a rolled ankle. Not syndesmosis so should be available for next week according to Ivan Cleary.

One of the defensive plays of the night for mine was the Stephen Crichton leap for an intercept. Eels tried a wide high cut out pass to the left where they had a two man overlap. It would have been a try for sure only the tall athletic Crichton leapt for it at full stretch and brought it down maintaining possession as he hit the ground. Not only great reading of the play but sensational execution and a try saving moment imo. If it had come off it may have given the Eels the momentum to win.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

RedRaider wrote: September 19, 2021, 2:38 pm
zim wrote: September 19, 2021, 12:27 pm Hasn't kikau fallen in a heap at the backend. Do we think it's contract related or he's just not turning up when you expect a strike weapon to?
Kikau had a cut to his right knee which was taped up and also went off early with a rolled ankle. Not syndesmosis so should be available for next week according to Ivan Cleary.

One of the defensive plays of the night for mine was the Stephen Crichton leap for an intercept. Eels tried a wide high cut out pass to the left where they had a two man overlap. It would have been a try for sure only the tall athletic Crichton leapt for it at full stretch and brought it down maintaining possession as he hit the ground. Not only great reading of the play but sensational execution and a try saving moment imo. If it had come off it may have given the Eels the momentum to win.
I meant his overall form in the last month not really specific to this game although I think it does help highlight it. He got through 30mins so should be making an impact.
Maybe it's got something to do with the dip in Luai's form as well.

That Chricton play was a game changer.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Kikau thrives on fast ruck play, and that has been phased out for the last month or so, markedly for the finals.
He wont see any next week either against Storm.