2021 Finals Wk 3: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Manly Sea Eagles, 7:50pm at Lang Park

Rabbitohs: 1. Blake Taaffe 2. Alex Johnston 3. Dane Gagai 4. Campbell Graham 5. Jaxson Paulo 6. Cody Walker 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Mark Nicholls 9. Damien Cook 10. Tevita Tatola 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Cameron Murray 14. Benji Marshall 15. Jacob Host 16. Thomas Burgess 17. Jai Arrow 18. Taane Milne 19. Patrick Mago 20. Braidon Burns 21. Jed Cartwright

Sea Eagles: 1. Tom Trbojevic 2. Jason Saab 3. Brad Parker 4. Morgan Harper 5. Reuben Garrick 6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Josh Aloiai 9. Lachlan Croker 10. Martin Taupau 11. Haumole Olakau’atu 12. Josh Schuster 13. Jake Trbojevic 14. Dylan Walker 15. Karl Lawton 16. Sean Keppie 17. Taniela Paseka 18. Toafofoa Sipley 19. Moses Suli 20. Curtis Sironen 21. Tevita Funa

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 25

Melbourne Storm v Penrith Panthers, 4:00pm, Lang Park

Storm: 1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. George Jennings 3. Reimis Smith 4. Justin Olam 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Brandon Smith 10. Christian Welch 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenneath Bromwich 13. Dale Finucane 14. Harry Grant 15. Tui Kamikamica 16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 17. Nicholas Hynes 18. Aaron Pene 19. Tom Eisenhuth 20. Chris Lewis 21. Isaac Lumelume

Panthers: 1. Dylan Edwards 2. Stephen Crichton 3. Paul Momirovski 4. Matt Burton 5. Brent Naden 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Moses Leota 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Kurt Capewell 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Tyrone May 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Tevita Pangai Junior 17. Liam Martin 18. Izack Tago 19. Spencer Leniu 20. J’maine Hopgood 21. Brian To’o
The Greenhouse score update service
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2021 Finals Wk 3: Teams and Game Day

Post by Canberra Milk »

This is interesting, and even more evidence that the grind is dead:

The nutty statistic that has Manly’s mad professor on cusp of grand final: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-nu ... 58u3t.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 23, 2021, 1:40 pm This is interesting, and even more evidence that the grind is dead:

The nutty statistic that has Manly’s mad professor on cusp of grand final: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-nu ... 58u3t.html
What does it say?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

It says that field position has become more important than possession (eg that completion rates are not correlated with success), and that teams who use the ball are best off

Which led me to think that, a key part of grinding is minimising errors by reducing the amount of passes. This article/data suggests that would be a flawed strategy
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Canberra Milk wrote:It says that field position has become more important than possession (eg that completion rates are not correlated with success), and that teams who use the ball are best off

Which led me to think that, a key part of grinding is minimising errors by reducing the amount of passes. This article/data suggests that would be a flawed strategy
teams that use the ball with adventure win.

2019 Roosters had the most errors, Manly 2021 have the most errors, Bulldogs 2021 had the highest completion rate.

I'd be interested in most completions rather than completion rate as that would show who controls possession.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: September 23, 2021, 4:09 pm
Canberra Milk wrote:It says that field position has become more important than possession (eg that completion rates are not correlated with success), and that teams who use the ball are best off

teams that use the ball with adventure win.

2019 Roosters had the most errors, Manly 2021 have the most errors, Bulldogs 2021 had the highest completion rate.

I'd be interested in most completions rather than completion rate as that would show who controls possession.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I think possession share is still important. The top six teams for possession share are: Storm, Rabbitohs, Eels, Panthers, Titans, Sea Eagles. Only the Roosters have low possession share, among the top teams. The Bulldogs have the highest completion rate... but the lowest possession share. The teams that like to pass the ball... and hold possession through things like repeat sets etc... are the teams that are doing well under the Vlandysball rules. Possession helps give you momentum and keep it.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 4:28 pm I think possession share is still important. The top six teams for possession share are: Storm, Rabbitohs, Eels, Panthers, Titans, Sea Eagles. Only the Roosters have low possession share, among the top teams. The Bulldogs have the highest completion rate... but the lowest possession share. The teams that like to pass the ball... and hold possession through things like repeat sets etc... are the teams that are doing well under the Vlandysball rules. Possession helps give you momentum and keep it.
That's interesting - where did you get that stat? What were the rankings for field position? I can only imagine it's correlated with the top teams

I wonder if that's why Ricky/Hodgson likes kicking early, because on paper it improves field position. But in practice under Vlandysball, it's not the right kind of field position. You need field position *with the ball* perhaps. Like you say, from repeat sets etc. I mean it's common sense really
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That article really drives how poorly we adapted to the new normal
The good teams are trying to get as many possessions as they can and using the football with reckless abandon, whilst we're playing with the width of a train track and handing the ball over a tackle early.

Is it any wonder our results were poor?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:18 am
greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 4:28 pm I think possession share is still important. The top six teams for possession share are: Storm, Rabbitohs, Eels, Panthers, Titans, Sea Eagles. Only the Roosters have low possession share, among the top teams. The Bulldogs have the highest completion rate... but the lowest possession share. The teams that like to pass the ball... and hold possession through things like repeat sets etc... are the teams that are doing well under the Vlandysball rules. Possession helps give you momentum and keep it.
That's interesting - where did you get that stat? What were the rankings for field position? I can only imagine it's correlated with the top teams

I wonder if that's why Ricky/Hodgson likes kicking early, because on paper it improves field position. But in practice under Vlandysball, it's not the right kind of field position. You need field position *with the ball* perhaps. Like you say, from repeat sets etc. I mean it's common sense really
I use the stats on NRL.com and the Fox Sports Lab mostly. Those come from NRL.com.

https://www.nrl.com/stats/
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... =runMetres

Fox Sports give stats for field position for each game (territory share, essentially time spent in opposition half and tackles in the opposition red zone) but not in aggregate. NRL.com gives no stats for that.

Someone might have an alternative source for field position stats. If so, I'd like to see them too!

I did go through each Raiders game for this season at one stage, to see if the Raiders were consistently losing the territroy share. But it was pretty mixed, as I recall. Preponderance to even share or lower share though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders had one of the lower conversion rates of red zone tackles to points.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not sure who to go for here. I would love to see the Rabbitohs lose four Preliminary Finals in a row. But I'd hate to see the Sea Eagles in the Grand Final. And I'd hate to see the Rabbitohs in the Grand Final.

Hopefully, the worst team wins, the Storm beat the Panthers and it is another premiership for Raiders Hall of Famer Bellyache.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Manly could have legitimately stopped play there
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That was awful by the officials
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:12 pm That was awful by the officials
Yeah he looked crook
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Keppie knocked out and Klein doesn't call time off.. disgraceful

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Not sure who to go for here. I would love to see the Rabbitohs lose four Preliminary Finals in a row. But I'd hate to see the Sea Eagles in the Grand Final. And I'd hate to see the Rabbitohs in the Grand Final.

Hopefully, the worst team wins, the Storm beat the Panthers and it is another premiership for Raiders Hall of Famer Bellyache.
I can't understand why someone in the Covid thread accused you of an anti Sydney/NSW agenda
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:16 pm
greeneyed wrote:Not sure who to go for here. I would love to see the Rabbitohs lose four Preliminary Finals in a row. But I'd hate to see the Sea Eagles in the Grand Final. And I'd hate to see the Rabbitohs in the Grand Final.

I can't understand why someone in the Covid thread accused you of an anti Sydney/NSW agenda
Or why anyone would think you're just a cheerleader for NSW?!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:

Because I hate the Broncos? I'd have thought any sensible person would. I quite like the Titans and Cowboys though, and I'm not pretty enough to be a cheerleader.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Penalty try is conversion from in front - hmmm
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders had the offending player still sent to the bin when a penalty try was in the offing but actually scored fairly.

Not sure why Cherry Evans got off scott free for what he did.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:21 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Because I hate the Broncos? I'd have thought any sensible person would. I quite like the Titans and Cowboys though, and I'm not pretty enough to be a cheerleader.

Of course you are!

To be serious, the idea that I might be biased against a whole **** State, because I don't like the NSW Blues or teams in Sydney (hey I don't like the Broncos, the Cowboys and the Titans either) is downright ridiculous. It's a matter of who I dislike least. To suggest it influences views on public policy is even sillier.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

He’s not bad that turbo fella
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:21 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Of course you are!

To be serious, the idea that I might be biased against a whole **** State, because I don't like the NSW Blues or teams in Sydney (hey I don't like the Broncos, the Cowboys and the Titans either) is downright ridiculous. It's a matter of who I dislike least. To suggest it influences views on public policy is even sillier.
You misread my post. I said that I can't understand
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That's a rough no try
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Saab not having his finest game so far
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:32 pm That's a rough no try
I think it was probably the correct call by the rules, but no way was Reynolds getting near the play. It’s frustrating
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Surely Manly number 4 is an 80s pop star whose been sent back in time to play NRL in 2021.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

2 in that tackle on the Manly strip
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The game needs controversy- award the try haha
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Do we agree the grand final is played tomorrow? Neither of these teams troubling Storm or Panthers
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Liking that the Sea Eagles have two no trys.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:31 pm You misread my post. I said that I can't understand
No, didn't misread anything.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Which member of Debarge is Morgan Harper?Image
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Great try saving defence there from Croker.

I don’t think I’ve ever said that before :roflmao
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:Great try saving defence there from Croker.

I don’t think I’ve ever said that before :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Souffs 18-0