Canberra Raiders stay out of 2021 NSW Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bay53
Steve Walters

Re: Mounties end NSW Cup time with Canberra Raiders

Post by Bay53 »

The Mounties club in Mt Pritchard has closed after it was discovered that a patron attended the club whilst infectious with COVID 19.

Anyone who attended the club during that time is required to self isolate.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-w ... -c-1197152
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looks like pub crawls are the thing to do when you catch COVID-19
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:Looks like pub crawls are the thing to do when you catch COVID-19
gives you cravings for schooners, Qlders clearly don't need to worry

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote:As an aside, in the first year of the relationship I got a chance to sit in the Mounties coaches box for a game at Canberra Stadium. They gave me a shirt in large size but it was a really small cut. I squeezed into it on the day but it never fitted properly. It has sat in the cupboard ever since.

At the start of the year I set myself a goal to lose some weight. One of the things I wanted to do was fit into the Mounties shirt. I have lost 22kg since January and it now fits easily. Now the relationship ends!!
Woah, 22kg is not insignificant, well done! What was your secret?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The Nickman wrote: July 28, 2020, 6:04 am
Bay53 wrote:As an aside, in the first year of the relationship I got a chance to sit in the Mounties coaches box for a game at Canberra Stadium. They gave me a shirt in large size but it was a really small cut. I squeezed into it on the day but it never fitted properly. It has sat in the cupboard ever since.

At the start of the year I set myself a goal to lose some weight. One of the things I wanted to do was fit into the Mounties shirt. I have lost 22kg since January and it now fits easily. Now the relationship ends!!
Woah, 22kg is not insignificant, well done! What was your secret?
Lite n easy mate, plus got my bike fixed and stayed really active during lockdown. Have probably reverted to a couple of bad habits in the past couple of weeks, need to get back on the wagon.

As you know well, I was never much of a drinker, so that wasn’t my problem.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

So any ideas who our new feeder club will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Broncos after they get relegated?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Raiders better be pushing for their own NSW cup side. Combine our reserves with a few CRRL hand picked players and under 20s on occasion. It's the only way I'll be happy, and in the end isn't that all that matters?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: August 15, 2020, 10:13 pm Raiders better be pushing for their own NSW cup side. Combine our reserves with a few CRRL hand picked players and under 20s on occasion. It's the only way I'll be happy, and in the end isn't that all that matters?
Absolutely. That's what needs to happen.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

zim wrote:Raiders better be pushing for their own NSW cup side. Combine our reserves with a few CRRL hand picked players and under 20s on occasion. It's the only way I'll be happy, and in the end isn't that all that matters?
That would be awesome, base them
In Goulburn!

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Queanbeyan? KW could get that done

Edrick The Entertainer
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Nadruku wrote: August 17, 2020, 8:23 pm
zim wrote:Raiders better be pushing for their own NSW cup side. Combine our reserves with a few CRRL hand picked players and under 20s on occasion. It's the only way I'll be happy, and in the end isn't that all that matters?
That would be awesome, base them
In Goulburn!

From an away game day travel point of view, Goulburn makes sense. Only an hour or so away from ACT , so not that big a deal as far as training goes.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders set to go it alone rather than form NSW Cup alliance

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders set to go it alone rather than form NSW Cup alliance

The Canberra Raiders are set to go it alone in 2021 rather than form an affiliation with a NSW Cup side. The Raiders spoke to the Wentworthville Magpies, as well as a couple of Queensland Cup teams but will resist making an official allegiance with a team.

They could have a loose affiliation with a NSW Cup team or rely on interclub scrimmages. They could also use the Canberra Raiders Cup, like they have with their under-20s.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's disappointing. Looks like the top 30 will be top 28 or 26 and development player numbers will be cut from the current six... Understandable given that, and given COVID, but it will be very bad for development of our players if they're not participating in the next tier down... should NSW Cup go ahead.

As I've previously mentioned, Flegg, SG Ball and Harold Matthews will increase by a year next year. (Under 21s, Under 19s and Under 17s).
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

NSWRL confirms NSW Cup in 2021

The NSW Rugby League today confirmed it will run a 10-team NSW Cup competition in 2021 in line with the NRL competition.

Read more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2020/11/1 ... p-in-2021/

No mention of who the 10 teams are but would assume this confirms no Raiders team, given Warriors have also exited. This leaves the 10 Sydney teams with a direct feeder.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

This going to open up opportunities for local Canberra Raiders Cup players in a similar way to John I Dent Cup players in Union. Question is, do Raiders seed their second tier players equally among clubs to improve the local comp or start up a "junior" Raiders team to build up combinations, etc?

I expect it will be the latter and we'll see a repeat of what happened with the Raiders U20s side that notched up a record score in their GF.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think the club is expecting the NSWRL will run Jersey Flegg and junior reps next year too... the age brackets will increase by a year (Under 21s, 19s...). So if that happens, the Raiders look like running Jersey Flegg (U21s) as their own lower grade team... and then farming out the open age players somehow... either to Canberra Raiders Cup teams or to a NSW Cup team (somewhere!). I doubt they'll want to run their own team in Canberra Raiders Cup again. If they were to do that, they'd be better off running a full NSW Cup team (in terms of development etc).
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Raiders 2021 junior representative structure

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed they will field four teams in NSWRL Competitions in 2021, with teams in the Jersey Flegg, SG Ball Cup, Harold Matthews Cup and Tarsha Gale Cup.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/11 ... structure/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Returning NSW Cup not on Canberra Raiders' radar

The Canberra Raiders have opted against using the NSW Cup for their players that miss out on the NRL team. Instead, they could use a combination of the NSW Jersey Flegg Cup, which will be an under-21 competition in 2021, and the Canberra Raiders Cup to keep their fringe players in shape. The club will reassess before 2022.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders stay out of 2021 NSW Cup

Post by -TW- »

That's fair, if a majority of the fringe guys are under 21 then why weaken one side and have an extra cost of running another

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: November 10, 2020, 8:11 pm That's fair, if a majority of the fringe guys are under 21 then why weaken one side and have an extra cost of running another

I can see an argument for it if COVID protocols are very strict, making it difficult for players to move in and out of a bubble next year in any case. But it’s not a sustainable development model. Your best young players should be being tested in NSW Cup.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Realistically there should have been a national 2nd grade this year considering the covid bubbles, salary cap dispensation to fill squads for 2 teams.

I doubt it will be as strict next year seeing there's about 80 cases left in the country, unless there's another major outbreak preseason

ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

RTW wrote: July 12, 2020, 9:02 pm Norths seem to be the odd team out, they don’t seem to get the best players their junior clubs are smaller then the other two and I could see Broncos letting them go as a cost cutting process. We also have about 6 players on our books who went to School just around the corner from Devils so e obviously have eyes on the area.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Spot on. Would be good if the club secured Wavell.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

RTW wrote: July 13, 2020, 6:04 pm
bonehead wrote:
RTW wrote:I can’t remember exact details but the Broncos put a hold on their partnerships with the Q cup teams back in April due to all this covid business. This is what allowed the Redcliffe Dolphins to team up with the Warriors.

If we were looking to affiliate with a Q cup team
it would make sense due to travel and costs etc that we would link up with a Brisbane and surrounding regions team. All of these teams are currently affiliated with NRL clubs so you would need to convince a club to jump ship

Storm have Sunny Coast Falcons and Easts tigers and share players pretty equally. Sunny Coast are currently hosting the storm and the Tigers are in the middle of applying to be the 17th franchise.

Ipswich Jets joined up with the knights in 2019 so that relationship is to fresh to induce any change.

This also rules out Redcliffe Dolphins who like Easts Tigers are applying to be the 17th franchise but have just in the last month linked with the Warriors.

Tweed Seagulls and Burleigh Bears are locked in with the Titans and they have really stepped up their junior development in recent times.

This leaves the Broncos teams Souths Logan, Wynnum Manly and Norths Devils. I think the Broncos would happily reduce their involvement on one of these teams and the obvious choice is Norths.

They have invested a lot of money into Souths Logan and I could go into a lot more detail on why they won’t let them go but it is obvious to anyone up this way that they see SL as a big part of their future.

Wynnum’s junior development has improved over the last couple of years since the NYC finished and I believe this is in part due to the Broncos influence.

Norths seem to be the odd team out, they don’t seem to get the best players their junior clubs are smaller then the other two and I could see Broncos letting them go as a cost cutting process. We also have about 6 players on our books who went to School just around the corner from Devils so e obviously have eyes on the area.

What's the go with Toowoomba? they were a rich nursery area

A reboot of the club was talked about a couple of years ago from the Titans. I think they even played the dragons in a premiership match and from memory got a touch up in Toowoomba. I’m not sure what happened with that in the end.

Apparently was killed of by Broncos-linked Toowoomba RL members.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

There’s a rumour doing the rounds (and I am taking it with a pinch of salt), that the Raiders are joining with the Sharks in sending their fringe players to Newtown. Anyone heard anything on this?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Fringe first graders potentially playing in the Canberra competition is absolute madness. Actually almost idiocy considering it gives every other club a significant leg up before you touch on all of the other implications.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: November 11, 2020, 6:40 am There’s a rumour doing the rounds (and I am taking it with a pinch of salt), that the Raiders are joining with the Sharks in sending their fringe players to Newtown. Anyone heard anything on this?
Haven't heard a peep but you'd think it would end up with argy bargy about who got how many players in and which positions on a week to week fight. Not sure Newtown would want to put themselves in that position. Doesn't sound fun or good for a club.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BadnMean wrote:
TongueFTW wrote: November 11, 2020, 6:40 am There’s a rumour doing the rounds (and I am taking it with a pinch of salt), that the Raiders are joining with the Sharks in sending their fringe players to Newtown. Anyone heard anything on this?
Haven't heard a peep but you'd think it would end up with argy bargy about who got how many players in and which positions on a week to week fight. Not sure Newtown would want to put themselves in that position. Doesn't sound fun or good for a club.
Melbourne did it with the Sharks a few years ago, where Melbourne sent excess players to play in the feeder side

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: November 12, 2020, 5:05 pm
BadnMean wrote:
Melbourne did it with the Sharks a few years ago, where Melbourne sent excess players to play in the feeder side

And they won the comp easily. Newtown are the reigning premiers so not sure the other clubs would allow it.

I wouldn’t mind if personally, going to a few games at Henson Park to watch the Jets. It is not a great ground to watch because it is an oval but they do some sensational things like the beer, footy and food festival and they get some massive crowds.

https://beerfootyfood.com/