Azza's Photo Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Azza's Photo Thread

Post by Azza »

Many of you would have come to love the objectionable, arrogant, cynical twat that has defined Azza over the last few years on the GH. While this perception no doubt bears an element of truth, there is another side to the great man.

One of my great loves is photography, and in recent times I've been doing some seascapes. Given the poor form of the team at the moment, I hope a few of these can offer you some solace in this dark time as a Raiders supporter.

I'll update as I have more images, but here are a few starters (flickr page here as well if you want to see all my images http://www.flickr.com/photos/34755634@N08/)

North Curl Curl Tidal Pool by ozarun55

Warriewood Beach at Sunrise by ozarun55

Dawn at Long Reef, April 2011 by ozarun55

North Narrabeen Tidal Pool by ozarun55

Sunrise at Canyon X by ozarun55, on Flickr
Last edited by Azza on April 30, 2011, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Re: Azza's Photo Thread

Post by Chickas shoe »

Beautiful Azza, like the first one particularly. Land/seascape stuff is tricky and you really have a handle on it. I've studied photography and am pretty keen and do a bit of live music stuff - care to share some tips? You obviously use longer exposures, how do you figure what to use? do you use a tripod? do you trick stuff up with Photoshop or are they raw images?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** Azz,**** this is fantastic.
This place is woke.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Thanks for the kind words Chicka and Matthew Waddlebum.

In answer to your question Chicka, a tripod is essential to seascape photography.

It's sort of hard to condense what I've picked up over the last couple of years into a concise paragraph but what I have learned a lot from is looking at what other photographers do, scoping out locations in advance and persisting with visiting locations until the conditions are right for a cracker shot. What I will say is that this is really something anyone with a bit of commitment can do - I started off knowing nothing about this sort of work.

You do need to have a good understanding of the use of shutter speed/aperture and ISO when doing any form of photography and seascapes are no different. A camera's ability to capture the full range of colour in a scene is limited, particularly at sunset and sunrise when the colours can be very intense. So there is an element of post processing involved in some of these photos, mainly to 'blend' two different photos together to capture the full range of colour.

My aim though is to never overcook a shot as you see many people do - i don't mind if it looks slightly surreal but there is a balance to be had. As your skills evolve, so does your photography and the way I shoot photos now bears little resemblance to what I was doing even 12 months ago.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Wow those are incredible.

That tidal pool is amazing, it actually looks like something you would see on the Xbox 360/ps3.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

I kinda thought you might have used two photos blended to get some of those (particularly #4?). Cool work mate, hats off. I'll have to give it a try like that. I tend not to use a tripod and don't photoshop a lot. This is my Flickr stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25448842@N06/
and a few highlights
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

They are beautiful shots.

Sunrise at canyon , is that real? it looks amazing
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

All these shots are real - don't add anything in that wasn't there. I'm lucky enough to live near some beautiful scenery i guess.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Good stuff dude.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

my gf and i just have spent some $800 on shots of Bondi and seascape stuff from a guy who opperates out of http://www.aquabumps.com/
we brought 2 medium sized prints and a glass encased print that i choose for a centre peice, which is this photograph:

those photos of yours azza are as good and maybe even better thant the guy who we happily handed over nearly $1000 too and we werent the only ones hand fist fulls of cash to this guy, his store was absolutely packed, you'd be absolutely mad not to look into selling them mate. Fantastic stuff
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Azza's Photo Thread

Post by Rick »

Awesome, thanks for putting them on!
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Good work Azza, nice and artistic unlike most people who claim to be photographers, if you hadnt said they were photos I wouldve put money on them being airbrush paintings
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

That's sick man!!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote:Yah, completely sick man.
You an idiot.
theRads
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campo

Post by theRads »

i too think that is sick man

lol good stuff
theRads
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Credit when it's due ... great shots, great work :)
Last edited by Inactive on June 19, 2011, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Great photos Azza
Inactive

Post by Inactive »

Azza wrote:All these shots are real - don't add anything in that wasn't there. I'm lucky enough to live near some beautiful scenery i guess.
without post-processing there is no way you'd get those shots

I'm starting to smell a rat guys
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Never been your biggest fan Azza, but damn they're good. Like, wow.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

You've never been my biggest fan Kris Man because I wind you up like there's no tomorrow and think Phil Graham was an overrated sack of potatoes. :lol: Don't take me so seriously and all will be well in your world.

Thanks for your kind words.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

Bay56 wrote:
Azza wrote:All these shots are real - don't add anything in that wasn't there. I'm lucky enough to live near some beautiful scenery i guess.
without post-processing there is no way you'd get those shots

I'm starting to smell a rat guys
I've taken some amazing photos with an old film camera (35mm?) that came out spectacular like Azza's, but I've only got a standard digital camera these days. I've never taken the time to work out how to operate it manually, I mainly use the automatic settings on it that try to "correct" anything that it thinks can be improved. One day I'll get a DSLR and start getting top-notch pics like Azza.
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

My wife and I have taken an interest in photography recently, and these shots only serve to inspire us further. We spent a few hours at the local Camera House on Sunday sussing out some bargains with the SLRs.

Thanks azza.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

And coincidentally my girlfriend just sent me some photos of the Chilean volcano, unbelievable.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yes dubby... happy to give advice, but the key message I want to portray in this thread is that anyone, with a bit of commitment and passion, can produce these sorts of photos.
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

What camera do you use??

HDR photography would work really great for these kind of shots. pretty hard to make look good but easily my favorite kind of photography for sunsets and stuff.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote:My wife and I have taken an interest in photography recently, and these shots only serve to inspire us further. We spent a few hours at the local Camera House on Sunday sussing out some bargains with the SLRs.

Thanks azza.

Just bought my missus a Nikon D7000

great camera
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Gus- wrote:What camera do you use??

HDR photography would work really great for these kind of shots. pretty hard to make look good but easily my favorite kind of photography for sunsets and stuff.
Use a Pentax SLR, though not the most brilliant doobywacker that was ever invented - that's my point, you can get great shots from even a semi-decent camera.

I'm not a fan of the overcooked HDR stuff, though the fountain one was actually a HDR blend.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Raidersrawesome wrote:
dubby wrote:My wife and I have taken an interest in photography recently, and these shots only serve to inspire us further. We spent a few hours at the local Camera House on Sunday sussing out some bargains with the SLRs.

Thanks azza.

great camera
That is one of the camera's we were looking at. :)
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote:
Raidersrawesome wrote:

Thanks azza.

great camera
That is one of the camera's we were looking at. :)

I did a little research and it kept pointing me back to this camera. Ive found it very easy to use and the quality is perfect. Mind you Im not an expert photographer , not by a long shot :)
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The other was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2k, it reviews really well.

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

That is simply amazing.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I really like this one,would look great above my bar.
This place is woke.