Previously unknown facts about ourselves

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Re: Previously unknown facts about ourselves

Post by -GD- »

Decorous Muse wrote:there is already a whole section dedicated to it: viewforum.php?f=2
:roflmao :roflmao
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Mum passed away on Wednesday morning at 1:30am. I was holding her hand.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Woodgers, I'm really sorry to hear. My sympathies are with you and your family.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Woodgers wrote:Mum passed away on Wednesday morning at 1:30am. I was holding her hand.
Sorry to hear that Paully.

All the best to you, Steve and family. :(
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

greeneyed wrote:Woodgers, I'm really sorry to hear. My sympathies are with you and your family.
Hey mate can I just say something while i'm hurting a bit. I don't really spend a massive amount of time online, when I logon to a computer I usually only check Facebook, mostly to see what my relatives overseas are up to, or I come onto the GH. At times when everything is negative I don't like a lot of things about this place but for the most part I enjoy it even if we are losing. I've said to my Wife before, the GH is my online family, my community. I can talk about anything on here even if it isn't footy and i've met some brilliant people through this website, including yourself. I'm glad I found this place, and i'm very thankful that yourself especially keeps a place like this alive. There are a lot of people on this website that i've never met in person, but due to what you and others have done I feel supported during a really bad time. Don't ever undersell what this place can do for a person, or the Canberra Raiders can do for us all. It might be a really bad time for me but the Canberra Raiders and their fans have made me feel a lot better. There are a lot of things wrong with this club but i'm thankful i'm a part of it.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Condolences to you and your family Woodgers. Sad and tough time for you .
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Very sad to hear that Woodgers. All the best for you and your family.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Woodgers, gutted for you. Hope you'll be OK.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Post by Stuat »

Sorry to hear Woodgers. My condolences
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Add to that Woodgers, blokes like you make supporting the Raiders better. All the best to you and your family.
Edrick The Entertainer
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Very sorry to hear that Paul. Condolences to you and your family
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I am really sorry woodgers :(

My sincerest best to you and your family.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Very sorry to hear that :( RIP

Condolences to yourself, family and friends.
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Albi »

Awful news woodgers.. Go hug your wife and kids and tell them you love them and take care of yourself
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Irwinfletch
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Irwinfletch »

Sincere condolences to you and your family.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Sorry to hear that woodgers, my sympathies
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

My condolences also Woodgers. All the best to you and your family. :(
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

KW wrote:Not sure if the below is unknows, anyways

29, married for 2 years, one son born in January
Used to be a massive Bulldogs fan
Recently became addicted to reading personal finance magazines and books
Considering running for Queanbeyan Council :)

KW
** Bump **

In light of recent events, I thought this was pretty cool to see from a post 5 years ago.

Dubs - You still into Go Karting? Maybe a trek out to Luddenham is on the cards!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Quality thread bump

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Ha ha no fui. Motocross these days. Sorta
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Haha I was never really into bikes. I have a bucket list of driving anything with wheels I can get my hands on. Did Motocross as a kid, but it never caught on.

When I get back from hols, I might do a call out and see if there's any GH members interested in a Go Kart sesh. A GH social. Luddenham is great, a reasonably new track, just got Paintball set up as well. Huburtus Country Club is just around the corner for post race drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

If you go karting at Luddenham I'm in!

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

dubby wrote:I feel prompted to share a bit more about myself having read some really great stuff about you blokes.

. My mum was only 16 when she gave birth to me. As a single mum we put up with some crap from the narrow minded persona of small town country folk back in the 70s. Needless to say mum and I are very close. I have a very special place in my heart for young single mums and their kids. I know what its like to be poor and to feel different. I try and do whatever I can when I can to help them.

. Met my dad in 2005. One of the best moments of my life. Suddenly I made sense; I had his looks (poor bastard), personality and so much more.

. I am very introverted and private. I hate loud neighbours and people who impose their sense of a good time on me. I'm almost reclusive.

. I think I'm the most boring person in the world. But I couldn't care less. I love to read, talk to my mates, watch the Raiders and play Xbox. The best times I've had revolve around those things, not adrenaline laced activity. Well, I do love V8s and fast go karts!

. Its unlikely my wife and I will have children. Our heart is more towards helping others and hopefully being a mentor.

. I have considered Chaplaincy as a career. Once again, its for the kids who have rough lives at home.

. I take a great interest in people and their behaviour. It fascinates me. I love watching Forensic Files, CSI Australia and trying to understand peoples motivations, behaviour and finding out their lifes story. It intrigues me to learn what makes people do what they do.

. I have a serious nature. Analytical and deep thinking. It does my head in at times and it makes me intense. This turns people off me if they don't know me. I love deep discussion, I despise gossip.

. I think my best trait is my loyalty. Like woodgers, I would do anything for a mate or family member. If you are a mate of dubby, you are a mate for life.

. I am Christian guy. This isolates me from people and I'm used to the :shock: face people give me when they find that out. Its usually followed by something like a :doubt: face followed by a :thumbsdown then a :hi

Thanks Albi, I've bared my soul on an open forum. :( Image

(and I am a mad Stephen King fan. I have bloody heaps of his books at home. my favourits are The Stand, Under the Dome and Blaze.)
I almost don't recognize this guy

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm surprised I didn't post in this thread.. I posted in everything else back in the day

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

dubby wrote:.I am very introverted and private. I hate loud neighbours and people who impose their sense of a good time on me. I'm almost reclusive.

. I think I'm the most boring person in the world. But I couldn't care less. I love to read, talk to my mates, watch the Raiders and play Xbox. The best times I've had revolve around those things, not adrenaline laced activity. Well, I do love V8s and fast go karts!

. I take a great interest in people and their behaviour. It fascinates me. I love watching Forensic Files, CSI Australia and trying to understand peoples motivations, behaviour and finding out their lifes story. It intrigues me to learn what makes people do what they do.

. I have a serious nature. Analytical and deep thinking. It does my head in at times and it makes me intense. This turns people off me if they don't know me. I love deep discussion, I despise gossip.

. I think my best trait is my loyalty. Like woodgers, I would do anything for a mate or family member. If you are a mate of dubby, you are a mate for life.
Honestly, I read these points and thought "Yeah, me too." The Analytical part is great at work, but I struggle to turn it off at home.

Oh and I'm loving Dark Tower

Nickman's love of NSW
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Dark Tower gets better with each book.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

KW
** Another Bump **

Another bump on this one, just to say congrats. It’s not very often you see someone’s trajectory play out like this. It’s pretty damn cool.

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Considering running for US president.

Watch me go fellas
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:Considering running for US president.

Watch me go fellas
"Sleepy Gangers", I like it

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 13, 2022, 8:44 pm

KW
** Another Bump **

Another bump on this one, just to say congrats. It’s not very often you see someone’s trajectory play out like this. It’s pretty damn cool.
It's truly remarkable to see a dude have a dream and acheive it
I remember after knowing for very little time, remarking to my wife that there was no doubt in my mind he'd be mayor of QBN one day. I've never known a man love a place like KW loves QBN. QBN couldnt have a mayor more passionate about the region.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I remember saying to Donald Trump in 1984 “I reckon there’s a better chance that KW will be the mayor of Queanbeyan before you become President”.

How wrong could I be.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote: January 13, 2022, 9:16 pm Considering running for US president.

Watch me go fellas
I think I’d rather another term from Sleepy Joe..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No worries PJ, you’re not in my target demographic for victory
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Hey I’m not sayin you can’t run for Prez, you’d make a great leader of the free world.

But let SleepyJoe do his 2 terms..just for the laughs.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Restocking this thread, inspired by Q’s forklift chat.

Not sure if I mentioned this fact about myself, but when I moved to Sydney at 18, I moved into what was sold to me as a boarding house in Blacktown. Turned out to be a halfway house for freshly released ex-cons. Was an eye opener for a relatively naive country kid, but interesting.

Nickman's love of NSW