Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:I just got back from the Snowies Ultra - awesome race! Used it as training and felt a million bucks for 45k, bonked a bit in the last 5, but that’s why you train. I get to try again at the 6 foot Track marathon in 3 weeks. I’m holding 90-100k a week for the last month, barring last week as it tapered into the race, did about 70. Actually pulled up pretty well today and rode around gunghalin lake to shake the legs loose. Tomorrow will be the hurty day.
Wow that's pretty big kms. I'm going to 66km this week, hopeful of building up to 75km.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: February 22, 2021, 7:31 pm
Coastalraider wrote:I just got back from the Snowies Ultra - awesome race! Used it as training and felt a million bucks for 45k, bonked a bit in the last 5, but that’s why you train. I get to try again at the 6 foot Track marathon in 3 weeks. I’m holding 90-100k a week for the last month, barring last week as it tapered into the race, did about 70. Actually pulled up pretty well today and rode around gunghalin lake to shake the legs loose. Tomorrow will be the hurty day.
Wow that's pretty big kms. I'm going to 66km this week, hopeful of building up to 75km.
That’s built up over a while, it’s a balancing act for sure, very easy to get too ambitions and miss time injured.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well, earlier in the week on a slow run I started getting burning and shooting pain just above my ankle. It was only 11km and I had trouble walking afterwards.

I thought that I was screwed, and while I'm still worried about it, after resting it the rest of the week I was able to run an 18km trail race today. It niggled and it's a bit sore now, but better than earlier in the week.

Managed to knock 4 seconds off my previous time for this race and got 23rd out of 240. Happy with that effort.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 7, 2021, 11:38 am Well, earlier in the week on a slow run I started getting burning and shooting pain just above my ankle. It was only 11km and I had trouble walking afterwards.

I thought that I was screwed, and while I'm still worried about it, after resting it the rest of the week I was able to run an 18km trail race today. It niggled and it's a bit sore now, but better than earlier in the week.

Managed to knock 4 seconds off my previous time for this race and got 23rd out of 240. Happy with that effort.
Nice job on today, great to hear the ankle ‘kind of’ held up. Tonnes of fisiocrem, a theragun, a beer and Netflix. The best rehab combo😂

I had a ‘decent’ week trying to bounce back from Snowies Ultra, got in 85k and will do another couple of 10-20k easy pace runs in the next couple of days before winding back for 6 foot track marathon on Saturday. Trying a different taper this time, instead of using a week as a taper window, I’m going to train as normal until Wednesday and have a short, sharp break. See what happens!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Report on how that taper goes (as well as your race lol). I've felt first 4-5 days of tapering cus leave my legs feeling sluggish. Like some kind of muscle reaction to change of exercise schedule, it's weird.

Saturday looking a little warm up there for this time of the year. Top of 27C. But just run faster to finish before the peak yeah?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: March 8, 2021, 3:02 pm Report on how that taper goes (as well as your race lol). I've felt first 4-5 days of tapering cus leave my legs feeling sluggish. Like some kind of muscle reaction to change of exercise schedule, it's weird.

Saturday looking a little warm up there for this time of the year. Top of 27C. But just run faster to finish before the peak yeah?

My wave isn’t starting until 8, so I’ll have to crank it up :roflmao
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Hahaha, do you have a time goal in mind or nar

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

No, just a training run. Somewhere around 6 hours without much fatigue would be ideal, doesn’t disrupt the training load too much. I felt a million bucks after Snowies Ultra, but it wasn’t as severe as 6foot.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Yeah nice. Remember to take your shoes and socks off when crossing Coxs River. I didn't, even though I saw everyone else doing so. Lesson learned, you'll end up taking them off anyway to get the pebbles out and you'll lose even more time.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: March 9, 2021, 9:13 am Yeah nice. Remember to take your shoes and socks off when crossing Coxs River. I didn't, even though I saw everyone else doing so. Lesson learned, you'll end up taking them off anyway to get the pebbles out and you'll lose even more time.

Thanks mate, good tip.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So good news from the physio. Tibialis posterior tendonitis. A bit of strapping, a heel wedge, isometric exercises for tib post and strengthen my chicken leg calves and she'll be right. No reduction in training volume for now.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 9, 2021, 7:52 pm So good news from the physio. Tibialis posterior tendonitis. A bit of strapping, a heel wedge, isometric exercises for tib post and strengthen my chicken leg calves and she'll be right. No reduction in training volume for now.
Great news!!!!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Man that 6 foot course is tough.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sounded doable to me until I found out that was the width not the length
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Man that 6 foot course is tough.
How did you go?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 14, 2021, 6:58 pm
How did you go?
Fair. Had to dig pretty deep, it’s a tough course. Nothing in particular but the sequence of the course messes with you. 15 odd Kay downhill means your quads and flexors are trash, then a couple of hours steep climbing, by the time to get to the good runnable stuff you’re already rooted. But I’m glad to have done it, good training and an iconic race. Did a 6.09 which is about where I thought I’d be, but the course was slower than I thought.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
How did you go?
Fair. Had to dig pretty deep, it’s a tough course. Nothing in particular but the sequence of the course messes with you. 15 odd Kay downhill means your quads and flexors are trash, then a couple of hours steep climbing, by the time to get to the good runnable stuff you’re already rooted. But I’m glad to have done it, good training and an iconic race. Did a 6.09 which is about where I thought I’d be, but the course was slower than I thought.
Well done.

I'm not sure if you are on the UTA100 Facebook page, but there is a guy posting on that that just did 6 foot in a similar time to you and is obviously in a world of hurt. He was asking about how comparable the two races were. Many people indicating that the 6 foot is more ouchy.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 15, 2021, 7:15 am
Coastalraider wrote:
How did you go?
Well done.

I'm not sure if you are on the UTA100 Facebook page, but there is a guy posting on that that just did 6 foot in a similar time to you and is obviously in a world of hurt. He was asking about how comparable the two races were. Many people indicating that the 6 foot is more ouchy.
Yep I was very interested in reading that. But its a totally different mindset - the 80k I did was at a totally different pace and approach to hills.

On the 6 foot for example I paced to be really solid for 30 odd k, so I still had legs for the back section once you got away from the big climbs. I made 130 odd places up in the last 10-15k just because I Paced.

And I bloody loved it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I have two months and 8 days until I have to do a 10km run and I'd like to finish in under an hour. Only slight hitch here is that I currently can't do 10km, my longest in the last six months is probably about 7km a few weeks ago.

One saving grace is the weather in Rocky is noticeably less humid already and it was this period last year that I made steady gains. By June I was doing 10km runs in about 57/58.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I did a cheeky 11.5km this morning in Canberra and it was glorious. 16C when I started, no humidity. Sooooo much nicer running than on the GC drenched in sweat after 30s.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:I have two months and 8 days until I have to do a 10km run and I'd like to finish in under an hour. Only slight hitch here is that I currently can't do 10km, my longest in the last six months is probably about 7km a few weeks ago.

One saving grace is the weather in Rocky is noticeably less humid already and it was this period last year that I made steady gains. By June I was doing 10km runs in about 57/58.
Mate, the key to running longer distances is just running slower. Check this link below out. If you put in your 5km pace it will spit out your 10km estimate (equivalent tab) - but that is your 10km pace pushing it hard. Drop it back a bit, and build, or better still drop back to your "easy pace" (training tab) and get km in your legs.

https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 15, 2021, 1:25 pm
The Nickman wrote:I have two months and 8 days until I have to do a 10km run and I'd like to finish in under an hour. Only slight hitch here is that I currently can't do 10km, my longest in the last six months is probably about 7km a few weeks ago.

Mate, the key to running longer distances is just running slower. Check this link below out. If you put in your 5km pace it will spit out your 10km estimate (equivalent tab) - but that is your 10km pace pushing it hard. Drop it back a bit, and build, or better still drop back to your "easy pace" (training tab) and get km in your legs.

https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/
Yeah, I'll be right, like I said, it's the Rocky humidity the last few weeks coming into March that was killing me. You think Gold Coast was bad?

I expect genuine improvement now, even this morning was a pretty easy 4km and I had a BIG weekend.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra running festival this morning and what a great turnout. More runners and spectators than I expected. My target time for the half was 2 hours and I romped it in, in 1.59. Felt pretty good despite very little training in the past month. Had a week down the coast this past week and the apple cider training sessions really paid off.

Not sure on next race goals, but considering the Stromlo festival (either 30 or 50) in November. I need to set a goal to improve my training. Though I think uta 50 would be pretty cool to do.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:Canberra running festival this morning and what a great turnout. More runners and spectators than I expected. My target time for the half was 2 hours and I romped it in, in 1.59. Felt pretty good despite very little training in the past month. Had a week down the coast this past week and the apple cider training sessions really paid off.

Not sure on next race goals, but considering the Stromlo festival (either 30 or 50) in November. I need to set a goal to improve my training. Though I think uta 50 would be pretty cool to do.

Well done mate. It's a great feeling when you set those goals and meet them.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: April 11, 2021, 1:33 pm Canberra running festival this morning and what a great turnout. More runners and spectators than I expected. My target time for the half was 2 hours and I romped it in, in 1.59. Felt pretty good despite very little training in the past month. Had a week down the coast this past week and the apple cider training sessions really paid off.

That’s so good mate, well done!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 11, 2021, 2:02 pm
gergreg wrote:Canberra running festival this morning and what a great turnout. More runners and spectators than I expected. My target time for the half was 2 hours and I romped it in, in 1.59. Felt pretty good despite very little training in the past month. Had a week down the coast this past week and the apple cider training sessions really paid off.

How’s the UTA training going mate, you still on track?

The company I work for put in the Buffalo Stampede trail running festival this week in Bright, awesome week, awesome event. I was in charge of all logistics, on course aid etc, village build and was part time MC.

Also got to run the Sky Marathon on the Sunday, made 6 foot look easy. I was official starter, then jumped on the tail of the race, to see how many people I could pass! Passed 2/3rds of the field to finish in about 40th overall. A couple of quite days now while the quads recover, then back to it for the last block before UTA!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote: April 13, 2021, 10:55 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: April 11, 2021, 2:02 pm

How’s the UTA training going mate, you still on track?

The company I work for put in the Buffalo Stampede trail running festival this week in Bright, awesome week, awesome event. I was in charge of all logistics, on course aid etc, village build and was part time MC.

Also got to run the Sky Marathon on the Sunday, made 6 foot look easy. I was official starter, then jumped on the tail of the race, to see how many people I could pass! Passed 2/3rds of the field to finish in about 40th overall. A couple of quite days now while the quads recover, then back to it for the last block before UTA!
Great effort. Sounds like you have a pretty fun job.

Its getting there mate. I got 80km on my feet in last week, and expecting to do the same this week. That and a couple of 1/2 hour HIIT sessions, and 15 minutes hitting the stairwell at work. Realistically I can't do more than that, both from a time perspective, but also I'm feeling pretty fatigued this week. Will start a taper 2 weeks out.

Made myself a nice little Sunday circuit. 25km in Springbrook/Numinbah Valley. Down the big stairs, up the big stairs, down the little stairs, up the little stairs, down the big stairs, then 7 km along the creeks, then a 7km up hill run/walk to finish. 1050m elevation. Takes me about 3.5 hours at "easy pace". I call it Mini UTA.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Health and fitness

Post by The Nickman »

Just following on from this, I knocked out my first 10km in about six months last Tuesday, took it easy at the start to make sure I got there and got it in about 1:04:45

Fast forward a week and I’ve knocked 3min off to be about 1:01:45, pretty pleased to be rapidly getting back to where I was now the Bull Rocky humidity has **** off for another summer

Rocky River Run is about six weeks away now, I’ve never done the 10km course in this event, but honestly anywhere under an hour I’ll consider a raging success
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:

Just following on from this, I knocked out my first 10km in about six months last Tuesday, took it easy at the start to make sure I got there and got it in about 1:04:45

Fast forward a week and I’ve knocked 3min off to be about 1:01:45, pretty pleased to be rapidly getting back to where I was now the Bull Rocky humidity has **** off for another summer

Rocky River Run is about six weeks away now, I’ve never done the 10km course in this event, but honestly anywhere under an hour I’ll consider a raging success
Good stuff mate
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The Nickman wrote: April 14, 2021, 6:18 pm

Good on you. You off the beers?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote: April 16, 2021, 10:32 am

Don't be ridiculous.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2021, 10:34 am
yeh raiders wrote: April 16, 2021, 10:32 am

Don't be ridiculous.
:lol: Obviously on the Manshake then...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Nah, but I play touch Mondays and Wednesdays, and run three to four times a week in the morning, anywhere up to about 25km in total for the week. I've also been fasting for well over a year now and drink a lot of water and green tea at work. It all combines to have me about the healthiest I've been since I was in my early teens.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Solid stuff old friend, keep it up.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Really into mountain biking atm.

Probably picked a **** time to do it seeing the light after work disappears within 45m

Getting the hang of Stromlo, times are coming down on Strava which is good motivation

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk