Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Hi mate, sorry, I’ve been a bit quiet in here!! I picked up a lung/ear infection off the back of the 100, so only got my first run again today.

I’m pretty happy with how the race went, it wasn’t quite the time I was hoping for, but given I was having an off day (might be explained a little by the shot sleeps I had camping in 0° and the fact I got sick afterwards, may have carried a bit of illness in??) but I ‘emptied the tank’ in the day and got the best out of the situation.

Now I’m pondering the next step....
Hell yeah mate, you ran 100km/4400m! Come up and do Coastal High 50 in sept
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 24, 2021, 8:04 pm
Coastalraider wrote:Hi mate, sorry, I’ve been a bit quiet in here!! I picked up a lung/ear infection off the back of the 100, so only got my first run again today.

I’m pretty happy with how the race went, it wasn’t quite the time I was hoping for, but given I was having an off day (might be explained a little by the shot sleeps I had camping in 0° and the fact I got sick afterwards, may have carried a bit of illness in??) but I ‘emptied the tank’ in the day and got the best out of the situation.

GNW ultras are on in September, just trying to figure the distance. I’m think the 50 miler.

It’s the next big one that’s the question mark.... I’m thinking Tarawera and the 100 miler. But that’s a big step. I honestly don’t think I would train much more than for the 100k, you just have to hurt more. But that would need a lot of family consultation...
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've put my hand up for Tarawera, but 102km, not 100 miler
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

On Friday, my GF starting feeling nauseous and evidently brought home the stomach flu that had been going through the pre-school she works at. She spent the whole weekend feeling ill, with the worst symptom being nasty diarrhoea. I thought I’d managed to avoid it, but around lunchtime Monday I started feeling nauseous too, and it wasn’t long before I barfed up my breakfast and anything else that was still in my stomach. So currently feel like crap, trying not to vomit or **** my pants. A big FU to any parent who knowingly drops off a sick child at their childcare centre.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Since the whole foot thing, I decided to get onto my health and fitness proper. I’ve been doing 16/8, which was hard at first, but I’m used to it now. Also make sure I walk/run at least 30 mins a day.

3 weeks in and I’m down 5kgs
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Since the whole foot thing, I decided to get onto my health and fitness proper. I’ve been doing 16/8, which was hard at first, but I’m used to it now. Also make sure I walk/run at least 30 mins a day.

16/8 is great, it’s the lifestyle I live, but try throwing in an occasional 24 or 30-40 every couple of weeks and you feel truly amazing.

On a normal week I usually do one 30(ish) fast from Monday lunch until Tuesday dinner. Monday night I play touch and Tuesday morning I push out a 10km run.

I feel absolutely incredible by the end of the fast.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Health and fitness

Yeah I was reading the different techniques and I felt 16/8 was definitely the most doable to start with.

All I had to change (apart from the actual diet) is to skip breakfast and then I’m sweet from 12 - 8. When I’m in the office I generally do that anyway, so it was just copying that at home.

So I think a combo of that, eating better and committing to min 30-40 mins of walking or jogging each day has got the results
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 16, 2021, 8:48 am Yeah I was reading the different techniques and I felt 16/8 was definitely the most doable to start with.

All I had to change (apart from the actual diet) is to skip breakfast and then I’m sweet from 12 - 8. When I’m in the office I generally do that anyway, so it was just copying that at home.

So I think a combo of that, eating better and committing to min 30-40 mins of walking or jogging each day has got the results
The big change for me was not just skipping breakfast, but also changing my coffee from white with honey and cinnamon to pure black, otherwise you break your fast.

And 18/6 is a great fast if you simply want to lose weight, but if you're interested in the benefits from autophagy (cell regeneration), that's when you really need to push out to 24 hours. 40-48 for maximum benefit.

All studies I've read seem to suggest beyond 48 really is diminishing returns for the effort. **** that anyway.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:

GNW ultras are on in September, just trying to figure the distance. I’m think the 50 miler.

It’s the next big one that’s the question mark.... I’m thinking Tarawera and the 100 miler. But that’s a big step. I honestly don’t think I would train much more than for the 100k, you just have to hurt more. But that would need a lot of family consultation...
Thia is worth a read
https://squadrun.co.nz/miler-wof/
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 18, 2021, 7:12 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

Thia is worth a read
Thanks mate, good read.

I had the family meeting and debrief with my wife, and we are locking in Tarawera 100 miler in 2023 as the next goal. My daughter starts school next feb so doing a miler at the same time is obviously the wrong life balance.

Got my first race back tomorrow with a back to back half marathon and then straight into a 5k with my son at the local running festival.

Looking at the glenbrook marathon in august, and the GNW 50 miler is sept. One of the companies I work for has a new event coming up in vic later in the year I might run as well, more news to follow.

And I have one eye on the cradle mountain run, the full 80k of the overland track for next year, it looks like an amazing adventure.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: June 18, 2021, 7:12 pm
Coastalraider wrote:

Thia is worth a read
Thanks mate, good read.

I had the family meeting and debrief with my wife, and we are locking in Tarawera 100 miler in 2023 as the next goal. My daughter starts school next feb so doing a miler at the same time is obviously the wrong life balance.

Got my first race back tomorrow with a back to back half marathon and then straight into a 5k with my son at the local running festival.

Looking at the glenbrook marathon in august, and the GNW 50 miler is sept. One of the companies I work for has a new event coming up in vic later in the year I might run as well, more news to follow.

And I have one eye on the cradle mountain run, the full 80k of the overland track for next year, it looks like an amazing adventure.
Good luck this morning with the half.

I'm looking at 2023 as well.

Doing Tarawera 102km next year, UTA100, and will put my hand up for Blackall 100km as well. Still sniffing around for a Blackall ticket for this year, have Kokoda 48km next month and Coastal High 50 in September (which I'll likely do again next year)

That'll give me 2-3 50s, and 4-5 100s under my belt before attempting the miler.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Some idiot holding a sign on the side of the road just destroyed day 1 of the tour de France.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:Some idiot holding a sign on the side of the road just destroyed day 1 of the tour de France.

What happened?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The sign reads “ look mum I’m on tv”
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:

Martin got absolutely wiped out. Hit the road pretty hard with his head bouncing off the tarmac and then got smashed by several bikes. He did return to the race, riding on adrenalin but his arm didn't look good. One of the commentators thought she saw a lump on his arm and suggested it could have been a fracture. Will have to see how the dust settled but that idiot will probably have his life ruined.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Wowzers. For someone who doesn't watch the race, and occasionally sees news reports, the spectators seem to get very close. Has this happened before, and if not, was it only a matter of time?
Last edited by Dr Zaius on June 27, 2021, 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:Wowzers. For someone who doesn't watch the race, and occasionally sees news reports, the spectators seem to get very close. Has this happened before, and if not, was it only a matter of time?
One of them hit a dog a few years ago, not sure about hitting a person

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:Wowzers. For someone who doesn't watch the race, and occasionally sees news reports, the spectators seem to get very close. Has this happened before, and if not, was it only a matter of time?
It has happened a few times, probably most famously when Lance Armstrong hit a spectator. I vaguely remember that his handle bars got caught on a woman's bag strap and he went down. I think there was another incident where a camera man was leaning over a barricade near the finish line and got pummelled by one of the sprinters - maybe Sagan or Cavendish, both big boys and probably travelling at up to 70 kmh.

In recent years there has been an increase in police presence in some places because of poor behaviour - I think former champion Chris Froome has had cups of urine thrown on him and possibly spat on. I think this was caused by speculation he was a drug cheat - despite the sports / races terrible history of PED use.

Some of those big climbs are awful with riders virtually unable to even see the road because spectators on both sides just move to the middle of the road and then get out of the way at the last second. They can't put barricades there though.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Went a bit crazy yesterday. Got the lockdown blues.

Ran a 50k around my block. 125 laps :hmmm
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 15, 2021, 6:51 pm Since the whole foot thing, I decided to get onto my health and fitness proper. I’ve been doing 16/8, which was hard at first, but I’m used to it now. Also make sure I walk/run at least 30 mins a day.

Down to 7kgs now. Hit a bit of a plateau, but perservering

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Went a bit crazy yesterday. Got the lockdown blues.

Ran a 50k around my block. 125 laps :hmmm
Image Image Image That is insane. It's a wonder that your neighbours didn't call the police
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

His neighbours probably already know he's crazy doc.

I'm struggling to get into a training block after a reaction to Pfizer mixed with a head cold. Just trying to get some consistent runs in the legs. The 50 is only 4 months away.

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

You're nuts, Coastal

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Looked it up on Strava. Absolutely insane Image Image
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 13, 2021, 12:03 pm Looked it up on Strava. Absolutely insane Image Image
Had a sore left glute on Sunday… 500 left turns!!! Should have turned around at 25k but I liked the uphill better heading this way, shirt and sharp. Turning around it’s a longer uphill.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

One shoe is probably more worn out than the other
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Did you take photos as well? "Ahh, there's Shirley's house again."

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

hey kids, big Ben parliament house

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Did the 48km Kokoda Challenge yesterday. Our team killed it. Very pleasantly suprised and very happy
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well done mate, glad it was a good experience!

I thing Im remembering form last year now - take the opportunities to race when they come up, you never know when they will be taken away!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Well done mate, glad it was a good experience!

I thing Im remembering form last year now - take the opportunities to race when they come up, you never know when they will be taken away!
Exactly
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

So how’s everyone going in various states of lockdown??
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Health and fitness

Coastalraider wrote:So how’s everyone going in various states of lockdown??
I’m down 10kgs. From 100.3 in May to 89.8 yesterday

Through diet and exercise. I do a 30 min walk with a 10kg weighted vest in the morning. The afternoon is 30 - 40 mins of either upper body / lower body focused workouts, all body workouts or Yoga

I’m intrigued, BMI wise, I need to get to 75kg to be normal weight for my height (172cm), but I’ve never been that small. I kind of want to keep pushing to see if I can get there. 85kg is my goal, 80kg is my stretch, 75 is ZOMG

** EDIT - 89.8, not 99.8! **
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on August 27, 2021, 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:So how’s everyone going in various states of lockdown??
I’m down 10kgs. From 100.3 in May to 99.8 yesterday

Through diet and exercise. I do a 30 min walk with a 10kg weighted vest in the morning. The afternoon is 30 - 40 mins of either upper body / lower body focused workouts, all body workouts or Yoga

I’m intrigued, BMI wise, I need to get to 75kg to be normal weight for my height (172cm), but I’ve never been that small. I kind of want to keep pushing to see if I can get there. 85kg is my goal, 80kg is my stretch, 75 is ZOMG
great effort Fui Image

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer