Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Coronavirus

Post by -TW- »

So the issue is tone, not misinformation?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Another 41 cases in Hunter today.

LakMac 26
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seems to have taken off there PJ. Stay safe.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Good to see some common sense finally

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/stor ... in-sydney/

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

bonehead wrote: September 23, 2021, 3:00 pm Good to see some common sense finally

Damn it Boney, I was going to come for a beer.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 23, 2021, 3:00 pm Good to see some common sense finally

Damn it Boney, I was going to come for a beer.
I'll come to you

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

NSW looking at hitting 70% double jabbed on 5th October, at which point modelling would suggest that it will be heading towards 500 cases a day. They look like they will hit 90% single jab around the same time.

Victoria still on an upwards trajectory and will likely hit 70% double jabbed on the 28th October. They'll have well peaked by then and be back down to 250 per day. Hopefully the protests don't derail that.

NSW will likely get to 90% for over 16s and will soon be over 70% for the entire population. No doubt the other states will end up similar. The roll out was terrible for the first 6 months, entirely on the Feds, but gee they are impressive numbers compared to other countries. It's a testament to the sensibleness of Australians.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Yeah it is coming home with a wet sail.

And not a moment too soon. You can really see the fabric of societal cohesion fraying. Not sure how much longer we could have gone on in a state of lockdown inertia.

In a way the lightning rollout once supply and communications issues were finally overcome throws the Feds’ failures from June 20 to about August 21 into even sharper focus.

We realistically could and should have avoided the winter of discontent if they had have done their jobs.
Up The Milk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

RedRaider wrote: September 21, 2021, 9:37 pm Australia's first dose total has gone past 25million in part due to the 200,000 in the 12-15 age group who have had a first vaccination up to yesterday. Of some concern was a comment by Dan Andrews late last week and said again by NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard today talking about possible vaccine supply issues. Nothing public from the Feds that I have seen so far. No specifics from either politician to identify if they were talking about Pfizer or Moderna or both.
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default ... r-2021.pdf
Dan Andrews today was talking about Pfizer supply issues in October. He said that the PM advised them of the issue at last Friday's National Cabinet meeting. If this proves to be correct then the timing projections on population vaccination levels will have to be pushed back.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

with more jiggling and wiggling I got boney jr in for 1st shot pfizer today, at least when Aunty Gladys opens up I'll have 3/4 in my house double vaxxed and the 10yr old will be straight in when approved

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 1:25 pm Seems to have taken off there PJ. Stay safe.
It’s concerning for sure.

People should stay home when directed. They’re finding loopholes in the exercise rules.

I drove past a local dog park the other day and i kid you not…12,000 humans + their mutts.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

1043 cases in NsW today.
38 in the Hunter
8 in LakMac
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Double jab now for Fui. Even Gladys has made a cameo to this Vax hub this morning
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 24, 2021, 11:30 am Double jab now for Fui. Even Gladys has made a cameo to this Vax hub this morning
How’s she lookin ?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 24, 2021, 11:30 am Double jab now for Fui. Even Gladys has made a cameo to this Vax hub this morning
How’s she lookin ?
Only saw the back of her. Kerry was looking bubbly though
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 24, 2021, 1:16 pm
-PJ- wrote:
How’s she lookin ?
Only saw the back of her. Kerry was looking bubbly though
Was Marianne there ?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Just got my second jab of AZ, contrary to Steven's testimony I didn't turn into a monkey
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: September 24, 2021, 1:46 pm Just got my second jab of AZ, contrary to Steven's testimony I didn't turn into a monkey
Give it 24hrs. 🍌
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah, I have this sudden urge to constantly scratch my ****.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

You baboon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Wow this guy, Erik Locke, just smashed McGowan and Palaszczuk in an interview on ABC for playing politics with people's lives, and appealing to secessionist elements in WA and Queensland. He said that he knows the premiers personally and has more faith in the Victorian and NSW Premiers. He was very distressed. He is a former Victorian Labor Party State Secretary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Locke?wprov=sfla1

At 22 minutes
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/friday-br ... 169H034S00
Last edited by Dr Zaius on September 24, 2021, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Sounds interesting
Last edited by gangrenous on September 24, 2021, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:Secessionist*
Ta Image
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

One quarter of 12 to 15 year olds nationally have received their first dose. Great to see parents bringing their children forward in such great numbers.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 5:42 pm Wow this guy, Erik Locke, just smashed McGowan and Palaszczuk in an interview on ABC for playing politics with people's lives, and appealing to secessionist elements in WA and Queensland. He said that he knows the premiers personally and has more faith in the Victorian and NSW Premiers. He was very distressed. He is a former Victorian Labor Party State Secretary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Locke?wprov=sfla1

At 22 minutes
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/friday-br ... 169H034S00
They all play politics.

However Dan and gladys seem less interested in cheap shots and point scoring then anastacia…
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 6:05 pm One quarter of 12 to 15 year olds nationally have received their first dose. Great to see parents bringing their children forward in such great numbers.
If that was a genuine state by state 25% across the board, that would be better than most adult groups in WA.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So I had a watch of the video, and I really feel for the person who is unable to go to Western Australia to see his mother. He's not the only person in that situation. I have all my family in Queensland. But we know double vaccination is not protection from people catching COVID and spreading it. We know quarantine arrangements aren't perfect. What about the rights of people and families in COVID free jurisdictions to remain free of the threat?

The issue is... what do the Premiers of States like Queensland or Western Australia do right now? What do people reasonably expect them to do? Their States are presently COVID free. At some point, they will need to remove border controls. But presently, their populations are not close to fully vaccinated, they are not near the thresholds. That is predominantly not the fault of those States. It is due to the failure of the federal government's vaccination program.

The vaccination rates in NSW and Victoria are not primarily due to a successful vaccination program. To a significant extent, they are due to people forced into risking a vaccine (AstraZeneca) that they would prefer not to risk, due to the serious side effects (including death)... by a major COVID outbreak. It is not surprising that people without the threat of a COVID don't want to take that risk. Thankfully, safer vaccines have finally become available. NSW has also been helped by the federal government prioritising the supply of the safer vaccine to that State.

So what do States like Queensland or Western Australia... or South Australia or Tasmania do? South Australia is trialling home quarantine... but it is a risk. Do those who want to remove border controls want the States without an outbreak to infect their populations with COVID so that it stimulates the vaccination take up we've seen in jurisdictions with major COVID outbreaks? That's a ridiculous proposition.

The accountability for the current situation is not with the jurisdictions maintaining public health measures, while vaccination catches up. While vaccination becomes available to every person. It is with the NSW Government, that failed to take steps to control their outbreak initially.

We know some States that took quick action have been able to contain Delta. NSW didn't. We know implementing serious lockdowns quickly works, and at least contain outbreaks. The ACT is containing. Victoria yo-yoed, but seems to now be doing better than NSW.

Accountability is also with the Commonwealth Government, that failed to deliver a safe, timely vaccination program.

I certainly don't have much faith in any politicians after this pandemic. But in my view, the major public policy failings lie with the NSW and Commonwealth Governments over the past year. And, by the way, to suggest NSW and the Commonwealth have not been engaging in cheap political shots have not been observing. They've often been leading, chins out.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Whinging about a proven safe vaccine again

Like sands through the hour glass

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: September 24, 2021, 10:12 pm Whinging about a proven safe vaccine again

Like sands through the hour glass

Proving you don't understand relative risks yet again. And why the term "safe" is an absolute term and what that means.

Like sands through the hour glass. We're back to that point already. Yet again.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I plenty understand risk, and so do the people who took the vaccine, hence informed consent.

Saying they were forced into it like a hostage situation is a flat out lie, which you pedal time and time again

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:So I had a watch of the video, and I really feel for the person who is unable to go to Western Australia to see his mother. He's not the only person in that situation. I have all my family in Queensland. But we know double vaccination is not protection from people catching COVID and spreading it. We know quarantine arrangements aren't perfect. What about the rights of people and families in COVID free jurisdictions to remain free of the threat?

The issue is... what do the Premiers of States like Queensland or Western Australia do right now? What do people reasonably expect them to do? Their States are presently COVID free. At some point, they will need to remove border controls. But presently, their populations are not close to fully vaccinated, they are not near the thresholds. That is predominantly not the fault of those States. It is due to the failure of the federal government's vaccination program.

The vaccination rates in NSW and Victoria are not primarily due to a successful vaccination program. To a significant extent, they are due to people forced into risking a vaccine (AstraZeneca) that they would prefer not to risk, due to the serious side effects (including death)... and a major COVID outbreak. It is not surprising that people without the threat of a COVID don't want to take that risk. Thankfully, safer vaccines have finally become available. NSW has also been helped by the federal government prioritising the supply of the safer vaccine to that State.

So what do States like Queensland or Western Australia... or South Australia or Tasmania do? South Australia is trialling home quarantine... but it is a risk. Do those who want to remove border controls want the States without an outbreak to infect their populations with COVID so that it stimulates the vaccination take up we've seen in jurisdictions with major COVID outbreaks? That's a ridiculous proposition.

The accountability for the current situation is not with the jurisdictions maintaining public health measures, while vaccination catches up. While vaccination becomes available to every person. It is with the NSW Government, that failed to take steps to control their outbreak initially.

We know some States that took quick action have been able to contain Delta. NSW didn't. We know implementing serious lockdowns quickly works, and at least contain outbreaks. The ACT is containing. Victoria yo-yoed, but seems to now be doing better than NSW.

Accountability is also with the Commonwealth Government, that failed to deliver a safe, timely vaccination program.

I certainly don't have much faith in any politicians after this pandemic. But in my view, the major public policy failings lie with the NSW and Commonwealth Governments over the past year. And, by the way, to suggest NSW and the Commonwealth have not been engaging in cheap political shots have not been observing. They've often been leading, chins out.
We don't know that early lockdowns contain delta. ACT, Auckland, Victoria all locked down early, all still in lockdown over a month early. Victoria may yet still peak worse than NSW, maybe peak lower, but in the end the outbreaks will be similar. ACT have high vaccination rates like in NSW, who are also seeing a downward trend. Trying to draw parallels between the ACT and Melbourne suggest that you are either deliberately misrepresenting the situation, or just don't understand what is happening in Melbourne and Sydney. Canberra just doesn't have the type of communities that it is spreading in in our two largest cities.

But that is actually unrelated to my post and a tangent in a long, rambling attempt to muddy what the post is about - the premiers of Queensland and WA appealing to the parochial nature of their respective states, and playing political games with the lives of people. I made no comment on what other state or federal leaders have done, another distraction by you.

Here you have a Labor stalwart calling out their behaviour for what it is. Last year their actions were absolutely disgraceful. Barr has in no way treated people from Queanbeyan, Yass and Cooma with such utter lack of humility. Unforgivable the way that many people were treated by Palaszczuk. The young woman from Canberra, which hadn't had a case in 4 months, who was escorted to the morgue in a hazmat suit to view her father's body, and then escorted back to the airport. The border opened to the ACT the next week. The mother from Covid free Lismore who was not allowed to go with her newborn to Brisbane, which had a covid outbreak. The teenage boy from Covid free Tweed who was not allowed to Brisbane for his heart transplant check up. I could go on for hours. In Queensland the "health advice" on the border changed the very day after the election. The very day! You can't make this stuff up. And this year it remained open while the seriousness of the situation in NSW far exceeded anything that they saw last year, making a mockery that the closures last year were on health advice.

There is no doubt that the Queensland border needs to be closed currently. The question presented in the interview was in regards to what happens when Queensland (and WA) hit 80%. Through work I have been told to expect that at 80% the border will open. This man has his doubts, and with the language that the premier is using, his doubts are reasonable. The ABC fact checked Palaszczuk this week and found her to be cherry picking and misrepresenting the Doherty report to be alarmist. She has previously suggested they will remain closed until 95% of children were vaccinated - an unachievable target even if all age groups were approved for the vaccine. Which they aren't. Myself, my colleagues are becoming increasingly concerned that she won't open the border. I live in a border town, the lives of many people I know are disrupted daily - with good reason currently. The tourism industry here is on its knees. This virus is not going away, and once a reasonable level of vaccination is achieved, we have to learn to live with it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 24, 2021, 10:27 pm
greeneyed wrote:So I had a watch of the video, and I really feel for the person who is unable to go to Western Australia to see his mother. He's not the only person in that situation. I have all my family in Queensland. But we know double vaccination is not protection from people catching COVID and spreading it. We know quarantine arrangements aren't perfect. What about the rights of people and families in COVID free jurisdictions to remain free of the threat?

The vaccination rates in NSW and Victoria are not primarily due to a successful vaccination program. To a significant extent, they are due to people forced into risking a vaccine (AstraZeneca) that they would prefer not to risk, due to the serious side effects (including death)... and a major COVID outbreak. It is not surprising that people without the threat of a COVID don't want to take that risk. Thankfully, safer vaccines have finally become available. NSW has also been helped by the federal government prioritising the supply of the safer vaccine to that State.

We don't know that early lockdowns contain delta. ACT, Auckland, Victoria all locked down early, all still in lockdown over a month early. Victoria may yet still peak worse than NSW, maybe peak lower, but in the end the outbreaks will be similar. ACT have high vaccination rates like in NSW, who are also seeing a downward trend. Trying to draw parallels between the ACT and Melbourne suggest that you are either deliberately misrepresenting the situation, or just don't understand what is happening in Melbourne and Sydney. Canberra just doesn't have the type of communities that it is spreading in in our two largest cities.

But that is actually unrelated to my post and a tangent in a long, rambling attempt to muddy what the post is about - the premiers of Queensland and WA appealing to the parochial nature of their respective states, and playing political games with the lives of people. I made no comment on what other state or federal leaders have done, another distraction by you.

Here you have a Labor stalwart calling out their behaviour for what it is. Last year their actions were absolutely disgraceful. Barr has in no way treated people from Queanbeyan, Yass and Cooma with such utter lack of humility. Unforgivable the way that many people were treated by Palaszczuk. In Queensland the "health advice" on the border changed the very day after the election. The very day! And this year it remained open while the seriousness of the situation in NSW far exceeded anything that they saw last year.

There is no doubt that the Queensland border needs to be closed currently. The question presented in the interview was in regards to what happens when Queensland (and WA) hit 80%. Through work I have been told to expect that at 80% the border will open. This man has his doubts, and with the language that the premier is using, his doubts are reasonable. The ABC fact checked Palaszczuk this week and found her to be cherry picking and misrepresenting the Doherty report to be alarmist. She has previously suggested they will remain closed until 95% of children were vaccinated - an unachievable target even if all age groups were approved for the vaccine. Which they aren't. Myself, my colleagues are becoming increasingly concerned that she won't open the border. I live in a border town, the lives of many people I know are disrupted daily - with good reason currently. The tourism industry here is on its knees. This virus is not going away, and once a reasonable level of vaccination is achieved, we have to learn to live with it.
So you've produced a "long rambling" response. Here's my response. I don't regard it as rambling. It's probably long.

I've seen Liberal stalwarts criticising the failure of the NSW and Federal governments in this pandemic too. I've quoted one of them in this thread. But I don't place too much weight on a political party apparatchik. Especially ones I have to look up in Wikipedia to see who they are. As I've said before, my views are not partisan here. I'd rather think for myself and I'm quite capable of doing so.

You seem to accuse some Premiers of "playing political games with the lives of people". Others can quite justifiably say that they are protecting the lives of people and the people in their States. I understand the issues of medical support for border communities well. I live in the same sort of community. Dealing with those issues don't require completely open borders. These are not easy choices, which lead to you to one answer or another. To suggest otherwise is not being balanced.

We do know that some States have locked down early and halted Delta. We know that the ACT and Auckland have contained the spread despite initially relatively low vaccination rates, with swift lock downs... but can't knock them out. Some people came and told us early on that Victoria's experience showed that swift lock downs don't work... when they actually yo-yoed. We were told it would be worse than NSW. Now the growth rate there, at least at the moment, looks like it might not be what it was in Sydney. Time will tell on that. To suggest I am "deliberately misrepresenting" anything is offensive and I suggest you withdraw it. You might be surprised to discover I have a brain and I'm quite capable of comprehending what is happening in Sydney and Melbourne. Perhaps you don't understand what's happening in Canberra, by the way. It appears to be spreading here among poorer suburbs, among essential workers and in household groups. Perhaps you don't understand why it is stubborn in Canberra.

I'm not supporting everything the Queensland Government has done on border controls in the past. I support the approach to border communities that we have seen in the ACT. It has come with risks, no doubt. But it is the humane thing to do. You seem to think I'm supporting the Queensland Premier in everything she's done. I don't. I keep saying that I don't think any politician has covered themselves in any glory in this pandemic.

You've said that the interview was about what Queensland Government would do when they reached 80 per cent thresholds. It didn't mention 80 per cent at all. They were talking about "Christmas". As I understand it, the Queensland Premier is keeping options open, given the uncertainty. That's sensible in my view. Andrew Barr is under the same pressure to say, "what by when". He's sensibly keeping options open too, in my view. With respect to the Queensland Premier "cherry picking" the Doherty Report.... She's certainly made incorrect claims as far as I can see and that is to be condemned. Other leaders have been inappropriately throwing around the term "Doherty Report" too. The Prime Minister and NSW Premier have been doing it to try to claim some sort of advantage as well. Spinning things in the way they want. They're all politicians. None to be trusted. None to be lauded for everything they've done. Some to be absolutely condemned for some things they have done. As far as I can see, I'm one of the few people round here saying that. In terms of the damage done... the NSW and Federal governments are in a class of their own.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:I plenty understand risk, and so do the people who took the vaccine, hence informed consent.

Saying they were forced into it like a hostage situation is a flat out lie, which you pedal time and time again

Peddle*

He’s not saying you don’t understand risk. He’s saying you’re repeatedly missing that there are no absolutes here in safe/unsafe. Only safer. It’s about risk relative to something else.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I can tell you, without any shadow of a doubt. I was personally forced into that choice. I know others have been too. I understand you did not have to face that choice, based on your posts. I understand you have you own personal issues in relation to that and I'm glad you didn't face that choice. However, millions of other Australians have had to face the choice.

I suggest you withdraw the accusation I have lied, which you regularly throw around in this thread. I have not.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

In relation to my situation, if because of my condition I wasn't recommended to have the Pfizer vaccine, I would have considered the AZ vaccine. I would have understood the risks.

If your situation was different to the recommendation, then the vaccine you were offered may have been different.

No one is forced into anything, that was my point. The choice may not be what you like, but you weren't "forced" into it.

I withdraw the assertion you are a liar