Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: October 19, 2021, 8:17 am Latest - One staff member has decided this has all been too stressful and is off on sick leave. Ring leader two, who has referred to her vaccination status at least 15 times in emails has decided that not only has she never told us 'officially', but that we actually have no right to ask about her 'personal medical situation' thinks she's taking us to FWA for constructive dismissal.

**** this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
So are they refusing to work but expecting to get paid?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

T_R wrote: October 18, 2021, 11:44 am
bonehead wrote: October 18, 2021, 4:21 am
-TW- wrote:
hrundi89 wrote:
Timbo wrote: October 16, 2021, 11:13 am I don’t think I’ve been that angry in a while.

When someone is comparing their own pseudoscience nonsense to the systematic slaughter of a race of people and telling me I need to educate myself about the Holocaust so I can understand their point (I’ve been a modern history teacher at secondary and tertiary level for fifteen years), I could really feel the vein in my forehead start to throb.
I deal with his regularly from my MIL via my wife. It's basically damaged their relationship.

Her compromise was to wait for Novavax as its a "traditional" vaccine. Of course, now that the day is getting nearer for Novavax she is backing out of that as well.

This is off the back of her going to Trump fund-raisers in Sydney and declaring Craig Kelly her "Hero".

A sobering angle to this is that someone who we have worked with as a business and career coach is feeding her the misinformation which is just revving her up more. This other person is a former lawyer and quite an intelligent person, who has always had a fairly healthy approach to alternative health. She told a story recently (I heard vicariously) that she and her sister had the horrors when their father went and got vaxxed behind their backs then visited her and her baby niece.

She was horrified due to the risk of "shedding", which is apparently a low-risk side effect that some people who have been vaccinated with a live-virus vaccine can get which increases the likelihood of passing on the virus to others.

Only problem is, of course, none of the COVID vaccines use the live-virus technology.

This is when I knew she wasn't to be trusted.
Bet the standard response is Do YoUr ReSeArCh

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
the vaccine issue is destroying friendships, my parents in their 70s have lost lifelong friends who are anti-vax, my parents were tolerant to them but these people weren't willing to accept my parents being vaccinated.
Also Mrs Bone is losing her best friend who is a covid denier, this friend can't accept that we are vaccinated and is running around living the high life on a fake Vax certificate while we are careful where we go even out of lockdown as Mrs Bone works in aged care so needs to avoid exposure.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I'm going through a legal hell at the moment with our staff in Byron Bay. Basically, the government has told me that they can't come to work unless double vaxxed. They are 'refusing to disclose their status' and raising all kinds of hell. Their solution is that I should invent a 'special leave category' and pay them in full to stay home and do nothing.

This is despite the fact that they are all going to be unemployed if we can't hit vax rates sufficient to open international borders.

Christ, people are ****.
That’s rough!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I know heaps of people whom have had it and some who has have passed from it. :(
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

T_R wrote: October 19, 2021, 8:17 am Latest - One staff member has decided this has all been too stressful and is off on sick leave. Ring leader two, who has referred to her vaccination status at least 15 times in emails has decided that not only has she never told us 'officially', but that we actually have no right to ask about her 'personal medical situation' thinks she's taking us to FWA for constructive dismissal.

**** this.

I am curious, what's your likely path forward for resolving this issue?

Is the ability to travel overseas a requirement for travel agency staff? If so, perhaps it is possible to make a lawful and reasonable direction that all staff meet the externally-mandated prerequisites for international travel. :hmmm

Regardless, I hope I you find a way to nail some antivaxxers to the wall! Nobody needs this nonsense.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sterlk wrote: October 19, 2021, 5:18 pm

**** this.

Is the ability to travel overseas a requirement for travel agency staff? If so, perhaps it is possible to make a lawful and reasonable direction that all staff meet the externally-mandated prerequisites for international travel. :hmmm

Regardless, I hope I you find a way to nail some antivaxxers to the wall! Nobody needs this nonsense.
TR owns language schools (hopefully I haven't said something he wouldn't want me to there). I would think following the law in each jurisdiction is a basic thing... and the courts have recently upheld the NSW vaccine mandates as I understand it. So that's basically all he needs. It's doubtless very difficult in the meantime. The last thing you'd want after two years of major disruptions.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Hmm. Wonder where I got the travel agency thing from. I don't suppose another member runs a bunch of those?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sterlk wrote: October 19, 2021, 5:18 pm

**** this.

I'm pretty happy in our legal position - we will follow the state government mandates, and will assume that by acting in good faith in that regard that eventually employment law will catch up with it. Fingers crossed. Once something has gone to FWA, though, it's a $30,000 cost to the company to defend for the most part. Not sure in this case though...doubt they will touch it.

From a management point of view, it's more difficult. Honestly, half the town of Byron Bay is caught up in some ridiculous cult and are tying themselves into knots trying to convince themselves of more and more ridiculous scenarios. Every second person is now an epidemiologist, and everyone else is an employment lawyer (hence the 'we never officially told you' crap, or the idea that we would somehow create a special class of leave and continue paying them). Pretty hard to walk people back from that kind of position.

Really though, our industry is dead until borders open - I'm approaching two years since my last pay cheque. The idea that I'm meant to be in someway sympathetic to some moronic vaccine refusenik who has decided to act against their own best interests....well, it niggles a little.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Cant you just let them drop dead on the phones, ring the undertaker, glen 20 the seat and fill the position again?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Setting up in Byron sure seemed like a good idea at the time I imagine. Such a beautiful spot but I haven't been there for over a decade but my sister lives nearby. All you ever hear about is how all the wealthy people have moved in and spoilt it. The Hemsworth's, Kidman/Urban's and T_R's.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: October 19, 2021, 9:28 pm Setting up in Byron sure seemed like a good idea at the time I imagine. Such a beautiful spot but I haven't been there for over a decade but my sister lives nearby. All you ever hear about is how all the wealthy people have moved in and spoilt it. The Hemsworth's, Kidman/Urban's and T_R's.
Leave me out of it. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that town.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Nimbin has protected itself by creating gigantic pothole laden roads on all sides to stop the TRUrbans and TRHemsworths

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Going to Nimbin was legit one of the weirdest experiences I've had

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In terms of vaccines delivered per 100 of population Australia is now one of the most vaccinated places on Earth. In recent weeks Australia has exceeded the numbers in Germany, France, Italy and UK. See page 15 on the link below. Still below the levels of, for example, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan. Focus needs to be on remote and indigenous vax levels. Hopefully there will soon be a vax option for those under 12 years of age.
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default ... r-2021.pdf
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RedRaider wrote:In terms of vaccines delivered per 100 of population Australia is now one of the most vaccinated places on Earth. In recent weeks Australia has exceeded the numbers in Germany, France, Italy and UK. See page 15 on the link below. Still below the levels of, for example, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan. Focus needs to be on remote and indigenous vax levels. Hopefully there will soon be a vax option for those under 12 years of age.
When the Vax roll-out first commenced I'm sure remote indigenous communities was the priority? Maybe that prioritisation shifted with exploding case numbers in NSW and VIC?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders favoured to sign Adam Elliott

Vic about to hit 90% 1st vax to join NSW and ACT. Means they should 90% fully vaxed in the next month.

Of the laggards WA has just passed QLD on 1st vax at 74% vs 73%.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: October 20, 2021, 1:46 pm Vic about to hit 90% 1st vax to join NSW and ACT. Means they should 90% fully vaxed in the next month.

Vintage QLD imo
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: October 20, 2021, 2:00 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 20, 2021, 1:46 pm Vic about to hit 90% 1st vax to join NSW and ACT. Means they should 90% fully vaxed in the next month.

Vintage QLD imo
Setting it up for a last minute victory
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gergreg wrote: October 20, 2021, 6:35 am
RedRaider wrote:In terms of vaccines delivered per 100 of population Australia is now one of the most vaccinated places on Earth. In recent weeks Australia has exceeded the numbers in Germany, France, Italy and UK. See page 15 on the link below. Still below the levels of, for example, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan. Focus needs to be on remote and indigenous vax levels. Hopefully there will soon be a vax option for those under 12 years of age.
When the Vax roll-out first commenced I'm sure remote indigenous communities was the priority? Maybe that prioritisation shifted with exploding case numbers in NSW and VIC?
I know there have been Defence Forces used in regional NSW areas and RFDS has also been active. I saw on ABC TV last night that areas of North West Western Australia and Far North Qld have low vax levels - the number was under 50% first vax of over 16s in some areas. There was some reference to misinformation being spread about side effects. Hopefully the message about Covid-19 now being more the pandemic of the unvaccinated will counteract the misinformation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pretty sure early in the rollout I remember plaudits due to indigenous rates being out in front.

Looks like they were unable to sustain that.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We are wearing masks at work and will be until the workforce reaches 80% jabbed. I found out last week that we are only at 46%. I challenged this number with my boss at the time.

About 3 weeks ago our HR Dept handed out a form asking all employees if they had been vaccinated OR if they were getting vaccinated in the future. It was a very simple process..tick a box..A) Double jabbed. B) First jab and date that happened. C) 2nd jab booked and date.

Unfortunately only 200 employees out of about 1000 filled the form out. The majority of the workers had a @#$and HR attitude. So of the 200 forms returned 46% were vaccinated.

So I’ve suggested strongly to management they need to go around face to face and ask for prove of vaccination. This happened yesterday.

And bingo..75%.

Getting close to losing the mask.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

we got the green light that of full Vax with proof we could unmask, today our advice from a 3rd party industrial relations mob is no can't do that so mask back up till further notice

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I work with one other bloke, both vaccinated and keeping well apart.
Open ventilated shed and doing our own thing. We communicate with 2way radio.

Wearing masks seems unnecessary to me.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
gangrenous wrote:You’re on Schifty. First one to make him snap wins!
No challenge - already on the edge.

Fine. First one to make T_R snap loses Image
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I'll be wearing masks indefinitely as being able to mouth "**** off" to people under the cover of a mask is a great feeling.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: October 20, 2021, 8:00 pm
T_R wrote:

Can I backdate the times I made him snap?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bunnings is opening again. Yay
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Schifty wrote:
gangrenous wrote: October 20, 2021, 8:00 pm
T_R wrote:

Can I backdate the times I made him snap?
What? You mean like a Sharks drug suspension?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

gangrenous wrote: October 20, 2021, 6:26 pm Pretty sure early in the rollout I remember plaudits due to indigenous rates being out in front.

Looks like they were unable to sustain that.
Social media influencers, such as the below link, are going to be an issue in a voluntary vaccination system.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/ant ... aafbe57cd3
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Uber driver the next in line to try and bring qld unstuck.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Unfortunately the covid new case numbers rose in Victoria with more than 2200 announced today. These numbers today followed several days of decline. Sadly 12 more deaths reported.
https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/vict ... id-19-data
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Coastalraider wrote: October 21, 2021, 1:45 pm Uber driver the next in line to try and bring qld unstuck.
That's on me - booked flights and hotels for a Perth trip yesterday.

Sorry to all our QLD members.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You reckon you’d learn…
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

At some point, I need to travel!

But yeah, this is on me.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think you know what you need to do with Byron Bay.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We booked a trip to Fiji today
after all this isolation and home schooling and just general ****, we decided to just book something we know we can go that is wonderful and relaxing... and i actually think we'll get to go. Cant **** wait. Really just need to be on a sandy beach and HAMMERING cocktails

Our Japan trip, which we definitely went to because the silly china flu wasnt stopping us, is tentatively proposed for 2023 in the Botman household.