Coastalraider wrote:Happy 80% day nsw!
let's hope it works

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Coronavirus

Post by RedRaider »

Following NSW opening up last Monday I expected to see some spike in case numbers. So far the new cases in NSW are continuing to decline. Being at 301 reported up to 8pm last night.
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectiou ... s-nsw.aspx

The new case numbers although declining in Victoria are still stubbornly high. Over 1800 reported again today and sadly 7 more lives lost.
https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/vict ... id-19-data

Victoria is over 88% of over 16s with a first vax and 65% double vax. Hopefully the high and growing vax rates in Victoria will see the numbers needing Hospital start to decline.
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default ... r-2021.pdf
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The "national plan" clearly now a shambles. Quite a few reasonable points being made by Laura Tingle.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-16/ ... /100541594

Victoria now opening up at a pace which looks pretty risky, particularly given their case numbers. Guess time will tell whether their approach and that of NSW were sensible.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 761e17aa53

Very messy opening up of the ACT border as well. Clearly, the ACT Government thinks that a slower pace of easings than in NSW is sensible - given the tighter restrictions in Canberra. But extending the travel bubble with surrounding parts of regional NSW doesn't make a lot of sense if that is true (though it's all complicated by the NSW rules for the double vaccinated, while the ACT has, sensibily, decided not to go down that path).

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Had to get tested on Friday. A close contact at work last week. I was in and out of the Garran centre in 5 minutes. Confirmed, negative within 10 hours of the test.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I'm glad your test was negative gergreg. I know how much of a relief it is to have a negative test result having had an SMS sent to my wife and I a couple of weeks ago after being at a Mitre 10 store at the same time as a person who had tested positive.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Interesting thing. This virus has dominated our lives the past 18 months yet over that time I've only one person has contracted it. That was relatively early days of the pandemic and he caught it when working in UK. He had minimal symptoms and recovered while in hotel quarantine.

A work associate in the US had a housemate test positive but he didn't catch it himself.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I still don't know anyone who's had it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

X2

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Prefer if these self test kits at work where in the bum than the mouth, id love to swing in there on a monday morn rip the belt and pull down the king gees and present it.

This place is woke.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Question wrote: October 17, 2021, 3:07 pm Prefer if these self test kits at work where in the bum than the mouth, id love to swing in there on a monday morn rip the belt and pull down the king gees and present it.

Don’t you have the Jed Clampett long underwear with the flap in the back ?

No ?

Just me then..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Timbo wrote: October 16, 2021, 11:13 am I don’t think I’ve been that angry in a while.

When someone is comparing their own pseudoscience nonsense to the systematic slaughter of a race of people and telling me I need to educate myself about the Holocaust so I can understand their point (I’ve been a modern history teacher at secondary and tertiary level for fifteen years), I could really feel the vein in my forehead start to throb.
I deal with this regularly from my MIL via my wife. It's basically damaged their relationship.

Her compromise was to wait for Novavax as its a "traditional" vaccine. Of course, now that the day is getting nearer for Novavax she is backing out of that as well.

This is off the back of her going to Trump fund-raisers in Sydney and declaring Craig Kelly her "Hero".

A sobering angle to this is that someone who we have worked with as a business and career coach is feeding her the misinformation which is just revving her up more. This other person is a former lawyer and quite an intelligent person, who has always had a fairly healthy approach to alternative health. She told a story recently (I heard vicariously) that she and her sister had the horrors when their father went and got vaxxed behind their backs then visited her and her baby niece.

She was horrified due to the risk of "shedding", which is apparently a low-risk side effect that some people who have been vaccinated with a live-virus vaccine can get which increases the likelihood of passing on the virus to others.

Only problem is, of course, none of the COVID vaccines use the live-virus technology.

This is when I knew she wasn't to be trusted.
Last edited by hrundi89 on October 18, 2021, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

bonehead wrote: October 15, 2021, 7:56 pm thanks he'll be ok I'm sure, same as all parents just watching out for them.
How is Mrs Hrundi now further post 2nd dose?

Cheers mate I hope it goes ok.

She's ok, but she's had it prior to both vaccines, so I don't think it's related.

I only get it if I'm on a ladder or somewhere with some height and i look back etc. Wild Ropes was a bad idea.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

hrundi89 wrote:
Timbo wrote: October 16, 2021, 11:13 am I don’t think I’ve been that angry in a while.

When someone is comparing their own pseudoscience nonsense to the systematic slaughter of a race of people and telling me I need to educate myself about the Holocaust so I can understand their point (I’ve been a modern history teacher at secondary and tertiary level for fifteen years), I could really feel the vein in my forehead start to throb.
I deal with his regularly from my MIL via my wife. It's basically damaged their relationship.

Her compromise was to wait for Novavax as its a "traditional" vaccine. Of course, now that the day is getting nearer for Novavax she is backing out of that as well.

This is off the back of her going to Trump fund-raisers in Sydney and declaring Craig Kelly her "Hero".

A sobering angle to this is that someone who we have worked with as a business and career coach is feeding her the misinformation which is just revving her up more. This other person is a former lawyer and quite an intelligent person, who has always had a fairly healthy approach to alternative health. She told a story recently (I heard vicariously) that she and her sister had the horrors when their father went and got vaxxed behind their backs then visited her and her baby niece.

She was horrified due to the risk of "shedding", which is apparently a low-risk side effect that some people who have been vaccinated with a live-virus vaccine can get which increases the likelihood of passing on the virus to others.

Only problem is, of course, none of the COVID vaccines use the live-virus technology.

Bet the standard response is Do YoUr ReSeArCh

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:
hrundi89 wrote:

I deal with his regularly from my MIL via my wife. It's basically damaged their relationship.

the vaccine issue is destroying friendships, my parents in their 70s have lost lifelong friends who are anti-vax, my parents were tolerant to them but these people weren't willing to accept my parents being vaccinated.
Also Mrs Bone is losing her best friend who is a covid denier, this friend can't accept that we are vaccinated and is running around living the high life on a fake Vax certificate while we are careful where we go even out of lockdown as Mrs Bone works in aged care so needs to avoid exposure.

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The ACT has stopped reporting vaccination rates over 99 per cent to avoid confusion and anomalies when its official figure exceeds 100 per cent in the coming days. ACT Health said Canberra's first dose rate had ticked over 99 per cent by Thursday evening, based on Treasury population estimates from June. 79.5 per cent of Canberrans aged 12 and over are now fully vaccinated: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... aking_news
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

bonehead wrote: October 18, 2021, 4:21 am
-TW- wrote:
hrundi89 wrote:

the vaccine issue is destroying friendships, my parents in their 70s have lost lifelong friends who are anti-vax, my parents were tolerant to them but these people weren't willing to accept my parents being vaccinated.
Also Mrs Bone is losing her best friend who is a covid denier, this friend can't accept that we are vaccinated and is running around living the high life on a fake Vax certificate while we are careful where we go even out of lockdown as Mrs Bone works in aged care so needs to avoid exposure.

I'm going through a legal hell at the moment with our staff in Byron Bay. Basically, the government has told me that they can't come to work unless double vaxxed. They are 'refusing to disclose their status' and raising all kinds of hell. Their solution is that I should invent a 'special leave category' and pay them in full to stay home and do nothing.

This is despite the fact that they are all going to be unemployed if we can't hit vax rates sufficient to open international borders.

Christ, people are ****.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I've always found "I might be" such an odd response to "Are you a danger to yourself and others?" Especially if you've done the right thing already.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's chaos out there for relationships for sure
I've had to delete some FB "friends" because of their anti vaxx Bull but these are just people i knew in high school/uni and havent actually spoken or interacted with in years, so not a great loss :lol:

I'm really thankful that my parents and in laws are all vaccinated and did so eagerly, and my close friends are all the same
I would find it hard to converse with someone spouting that anti vax nonsense given how frustrating i've found home schooling with my kids.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: October 18, 2021, 11:44 am

I'm going through a legal hell at the moment with our staff in Byron Bay. Basically, the government has told me that they can't come to work unless double vaxxed. They are 'refusing to disclose their status' and raising all kinds of hell. Their solution is that I should invent a 'special leave category' and pay them in full to stay home and do nothing.

This is despite the fact that they are all going to be unemployed if we can't hit vax rates sufficient to open international borders.

Christ, people are ****.
Seems strange to me that you, as an employer, can't simply say to them:

Due to government regulations you've got two options:
1. Provide proof of double vaccination and resume
2. Take leave, and if you have no leave entitlements, you'll be on leave without pay

Then at some point they'll have to back down once leave entitlements run out and they need money?
I mean im sure if that was something you could do you've have done it... it's just weird that you cant.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
T_R wrote: October 18, 2021, 11:44 am

Christ, people are ****.
Seems strange to me that you, as an employer, can't simply say to them:

Due to government regulations you've got two options:
1. Provide proof of double vaccination and resume
2. Take leave, and if you have no leave entitlements, you'll be on leave without pay

Then at some point they'll have to back down once leave entitlements run out and they need money?
I mean im sure if that was something you could do you've have done it... it's just weird that you cant.
So what are you meant to do TR? Continue paying them until they retire, despite never working? I don't imagine this (covid) is just going to disappear.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

can't you just do what all the unvaxxed are doing and fake their certs

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that's it... like the answer cant possibly be free indefinite personal leave... and it's a government mandate, logically (though i guess obviously not legally) this is akin to me needing to provide proof of my forklift licence back when i was a forkie
like its just a regulation and either i provide it and get on with my job or my boss should be entitled to tell me the buzz off and find a new forkie

these are indeed strange times
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

80 per cent of people in the ACT aged 12 and over fully vaccinated: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

T_R wrote: October 18, 2021, 11:44 am I'm going through a legal hell at the moment with our staff in Byron Bay. Basically, the government has told me that they can't come to work unless double vaxxed. They are 'refusing to disclose their status' and raising all kinds of hell. Their solution is that I should invent a 'special leave category' and pay them in full to stay home and do nothing.

Christ, people are ****.
Peak Byron Bay, right here. Antivaxxer capital of Australia.

Only you know the state of your business, but I'd be tempted to just leave the Byron Bay branch closed until there are sufficient vaccinated staff for it to operate, and then only the vaxxed can work until the government rules say otherwise.

Not meeting the government conditions to operate means no work, no work means no pay.

Might be a step too far, but I'd be considering using this situation to axe them if you can swing it, and hire some replacements who aren't crazed antivaxxers... if such people exist in Byron Bay. There'd be a cost associated with it if you can't find a way to turf them outright, though you could hire some people who are willing to work under the government conditions, then make a bunch of the **** holdouts redundant.

If I recall correctly you run a travel agency of some description, which would likely rely on the travel experience of the agents to an extent. If that's accurate, antivaxxer staff are a problem you need to get rid of sooner or later - and it might be best to rip off the band-aid now. If they won't get the shot, they won't be able to travel in future, and therefore won't be able to rely on any post-2020 experiences professionally. The industry has changed around them, and they're no longer suitable for it.
Last edited by Sterlk on October 18, 2021, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I reckon the big majority of the anti-vaxxers are purely attention seekers. They don't want the vax and feel it necessary to tell everybody about their stance.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

a lot of it would be to rebel the "system"

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

All this has made me realise that I can surely move to Byron Bay and charge premium rates as vaccinated labour!
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: October 18, 2021, 6:33 pm All this has made me realise that I can surely move to Byron Bay and charge premium rates as vaccinated labour!
GH members to fill TR's staff shortage!

I'm in.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If he meets my salary demands I'm in

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can you imagine the working relationship between T_R and me? There’s a TV show in that!
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

It's so crazy it just might work.

Also I think I could drive him insane before you do.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You’re on Schifty. First one to make him snap wins!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote:You’re on Schifty. First one to make him snap wins!
No challenge - already on the edge.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Latest - One staff member has decided this has all been too stressful and is off on sick leave. Ring leader two, who has referred to her vaccination status at least 15 times in emails has decided that not only has she never told us 'officially', but that we actually have no right to ask about her 'personal medical situation' thinks she's taking us to FWA for constructive dismissal.

**** this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk