Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Coronavirus

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: July 27, 2021, 8:11 pm Pfizer now arriving in Australia at about 1 million doses per week and AZ being produced at about 1 million doses per week. Vaccinations are running at about 1 million doses per week, meaning there is no vaccine supply issue. Hopefully people in the Greater Sydney hot spot areas will see that the risk of catching Covid if unvaccinated is far higher than the much smaller risk of having AZ. Australian total vaccinations now at 11.4 million up to yesterday.
There certainly is a supply issue in relation to safe vaccines. Sadly, people are probably going to have to risk taking Astra Zeneca, given the massive failure of the Federal Government.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

RedRaider wrote: July 27, 2021, 8:11 pm Pfizer now arriving in Australia at about 1 million doses per week and AZ being produced at about 1 million doses per week. Vaccinations are running at about 1 million doses per week, meaning there is no vaccine supply issue. Hopefully people in the Greater Sydney hot spot areas will see that the risk of catching Covid if unvaccinated is far higher than the much smaller risk of having AZ. Australian total vaccinations now at 11.4 million up to yesterday.
Pfizer supply isn't the only concern. Until we can book an appointment that isn't in late September / early October we're a long way from safe. Only 3.44mil fully vaccinated currently.

If I was to have my Pfzier shot tomorrow I'd reach peak effectiveness on 1st of September (3 weeks to 2nd shot + 2). Which given the way it's been going sounds great to me.
Az I'd be there 6th October (8 weeks to 2nd shot for my age group + 2).

Edit: Dates.
Last edited by zim on July 27, 2021, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

zim wrote: July 27, 2021, 8:26 pm
Pfizer supply isn't the only concern. Until we can book an appointment that isn't in late September / early October we're a long way from safe. Only 3.44mil fully vaccinated currently.

If I was to have my Pfzier shot tomorrow I'd reach peak effectiveness on 1st of August (3 weeks to 2nd shot + 2). Which given the way it's been going sounds great to me.
Az I'd be there 6th September (8 weeks to 2nd shot for my age group + 2).
I gave up on Pfizer. I just booked in for AZ this Friday. It's a good vaccine, regardless of all the misinformation. Under 40 means it's an age before I can even get in for Pfizer.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
There certainly is a supply issue in relation to safe vaccines. Sadly, people are probably going to have to risk taking Astra Zeneca, given the massive failure of the Federal Government.
ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 has an acceptable safety profile and has been found to be efficacious against symptomatic COVID-19 in this interim analysis of ongoing clinical trials.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... ltext#sec1

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: July 27, 2021, 8:19 pm
It's not that big a risk and I'm happy to take it. Can't argue our PM and his government are a useless pack of clowns though.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yeah it's a shame we're even in that position. I was very close to booking in Az this week too until talking it through with my doctor. I'm now waiting a couple of weeks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote:If I was to have my Pfzier shot tomorrow I'd reach peak effectiveness on 1st of August (3 weeks to 2nd shot + 2). Which given the way it's been going sounds great to me.
Az I'd be there 6th September (8 weeks to 2nd shot for my age group + 2).
Think I’d better get you a calendar for Chrissy Zim
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

12 haikus?
Quickly looking at a digital calendar always goes wrong in my brain :lol:
Last edited by zim on July 27, 2021, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Azza wrote:It's not that big a risk and I'm happy to take it. Can't argue our PM and his government are a useless pack of clowns though.
Willing, sure.

Happy? Hmm…
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote:12 haikus?
Quickly looking at a digital calendar always goes wrong in my brain :lol:
I’m pretty lazy. How about the same haiku on each month?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Hey... that sounds like art to me. A bold and insightful comment on our modern society. Who hurt you?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Hey, that sounds like art
A bold insightful comment
On modern life - Pain?
Last edited by gangrenous on July 27, 2021, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

gangrenous wrote:
Azza wrote:It's not that big a risk and I'm happy to take it. Can't argue our PM and his government are a useless pack of clowns though.
Willing, sure.

Happy? Hmm…
Don't put words in my mouth. I'm very happy. The vaccine's fine.

Not quite as happy as I am about having a break from covid 19 expert Nicholas' man's drivel mind you.. But happy nonetheless.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth. I’m just saying I’d understand willing. Don’t really get happy.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

gangrenous wrote:I’m not trying to put words in your mouth. I’m just saying I’d understand willing. Don’t really get happy.
I'm happy to be doing my bit to get on top of this virus and help our lives return to some degree of normalcy. Not sure what's so hard to comprehend.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

gangrenous wrote: July 27, 2021, 9:03 pm Hey, that sounds like art
A bold insightful comment
On modern life - Pain?
Fantastic.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

That reason is why I get willing. But when there’s a safer alternative that could have been offered, that takes it from happy for me.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

gangrenous wrote:That reason is why I get willing. But when there’s a safer alternative that could have been offered, that takes it from happy for me.
If I didn't have to wait till October because of our useless vaccine rollout, I'd get Pfizer. But az is a perfectly cromulent alternative and in the circumstances in HAPPY to get it. It's not really a high risk so I'm fine with it

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

**** my life.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

I was more than happy and willing to get AZ just annoyed to wait for the second jab

While I get the concern from some..

Just like women with the pill.. Just like getting on a plane..

But taking AZ didn't concern me in the slightest..

I ride a motorbike every day in Canberra traffic that's far higher risk specially in the rain.. Ride to live.. Vaccinate to live.. Same same for me

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Results of testing have started to be returned on the central coast, there was a huge wave of people testing after our 20 odd hotspot locations were announced late Sunday. Yesterday’s numbers were released before the CC results had been returned, so today/tomorrow will be crucial to see if there has been local spread. The case in question was in the community for nearly a week and visited 20 locations around my place, so odds aren’t great.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Results of testing have started to be returned on the central coast, there was a huge wave of people testing after our 20 odd hotspot locations were announced late Sunday. Yesterday’s numbers were released before the CC results had been returned, so today/tomorrow will be crucial to see if there has been local spread. The case in question was in the community for nearly a week and visited 20 locations around my place, so odds aren’t great.
It's honestly hit and miss mate.

He could be like the 19 year old up here and pass it to no one, or he could be like Old Mate Limo Driver, wafting it through the air, and taking out everyone within a 10km radius.

Listening to a podcast with Prof Robert Booy the other day, he said that even with delta it's 20% of people that do 80 % of transmissions.

Need to round up these superspreaders, along with the freedom marchers, and ship them all off to an island somewhere.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 28, 2021, 9:12 am
Coastalraider wrote:Results of testing have started to be returned on the central coast, there was a huge wave of people testing after our 20 odd hotspot locations were announced late Sunday. Yesterday’s numbers were released before the CC results had been returned, so today/tomorrow will be crucial to see if there has been local spread. The case in question was in the community for nearly a week and visited 20 locations around my place, so odds aren’t great.

He could be like the 19 year old up here and pass it to no one, or he could be like Old Mate Limo Driver, wafting it through the air, and taking out everyone within a 10km radius.

Listening to a podcast with Prof Robert Booy the other day, he said that even with delta it's 20% of people that do 80 % of transmissions.

Need to round up these superspreaders, along with the freedom marchers, and ship them all off to an island somewhere.
Apparently there was some cafe owner on the central coast who attended the protests, ambled back up the coast and carried on his merry way opening up the cafe the next day, exposing the public.

Fire him into the sun or if there is a more unforgiving astronomical object, fire him into that.
Up The Milk
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 28, 2021, 9:39 am

Apparently there was some cafe owner on the central coast who attended the protests, ambled back up the coast and carried on his merry way opening up the cafe the next day, exposing the public.

Fire him into the sun or if there is a more unforgiving astronomical object, fire him into that.
That person in particular has been smashed on social media.

There are rumours up to 150 CC resident attended. Well find out I guess.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote: July 28, 2021, 9:39 am

That person in particular has been smashed on social media.

There are rumours up to 150 CC resident attended. Well find out I guess.
Hopefully a mass boycott of his business by locals
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Jesus Christ, another one. Lucky Sydney is such a **** show, more questions would be asked about what the hell is going on in Brisbane.

The man was infectious in the community since July 22 and was staying in the Roma Street City backpackers hostel.

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young voiced concern at the number of COVID-positive people who have been in the Queensland community.

"This is the thirteenth incursion of the virus into the community in Queensland over the last six weeks," Dr Young said.

"So it is becoming  increasingly concerning we are having these repeated incursions of the virus into Queensland.

"We are contact tracing people in the Rome Street backpackers."

13 incursions in 2 months. 13!
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Up to 130 infectious in the community.

The number we need to be focusing on, as explicitly emphasised by Gladys, is 46.
Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Need the ring of steel, people are being found by police in the skifields pretty regularly from Sydney

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-TW- wrote: July 28, 2021, 12:12 pm Need the ring of steel, people are being found by police in the skifields pretty regularly from Sydney

Bastards
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 27, 2021, 8:19 pm
GE I think there will be people who react to vaccines no matter what type. See below from the US:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/ ... mm7002e1_w

As of December 23, 2020, a reported 1,893,360 first doses of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine had been administered in the United States, and reports of 4,393 (0.2%) adverse events after receipt of Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine had been submitted to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). Among these, 175 case reports were identified for further review as possible cases of severe allergic reaction, including anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening allergic reaction that does occur rarely after vaccination, with onset typically within minutes to hours (3). Twenty-one cases were determined to be anaphylaxis (a rate of 11.1 per million doses administered), including 17 in persons with a documented history of allergies or allergic reactions, seven of whom had a history of anaphylaxis.

Thankfully the numbers who have such reactions to either Pfizer or AZ are very low. The evidence suggests neither is 100% safe for everyone, but neither is going without a vaccine during a pandemic. I am Pro-Vaccinations though, so I am biased and understand that others will take a different view.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider... of course there are risks of anaphylaxis... but that can be relatively easily treated. You can get that with the flu vaccine.

I'm talking about the side effect of a COVID vaccine - blood clots - that that can kill you or leave you with serious disability. The blood clots hit your brain or lungs and you're in desperate trouble. It's not easy to avoid - and by the time you treat it, if could well be all too late. In Australia, we have one vaccine with this side effect (Astra Zeneca) and one that doesn't (Pfizer). I've very little doubt that if we were not in the midst of a pandemic, Astra Zeneca would be withdrawn by the TGA. We are... and Astra Zeneca is the vaccine that the Australian government has in good supply. It has left many with little choice but to risk taking it. It is a massive failing of public policy that Australians have been left in this position. It was avoidable, as the federal government actually turned down the opportunity to secure earlier and much larger supplies of Pfizer.

I'm pro vaccination too. I've my flu injection and I've taken all sorts of other vaccines. Sadly, the bumbling of the federal government has played right into the hands of anti-vaxers.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GE, I don't know what the TGA would do if we weren't in a pandemic. I know the UK relied on AZ for a large number of their vaccinations. They seem to have taken the view that COVID protection is in the interest of the majority of their population and outweighs the low level of risk by taking AZ.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The UK was and still is in a fine mess. They did rely on Astra Zeneca as they had little choice. The sorry state of affairs in Australia is that we had effectively eliminated the virus, due to the good performance of the State governments. Sadly, the federal government completely wasted the time bought, with their vaccination program proving to be a massive failure. And now, due to the incompetence of the NSW Government, we have a major outbreak in Sydney, other States have been put at risk, and a significant part of our country's population is now left with the same risk choice that the UK people have faced. It was avoidable here, and we have witnessed one of the biggest failures of public policy that Australia has ever seen.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GE, I don't know of any nation which has eliminated the Delta variant. That is why vaccination is so important. My understanding is that vaccines do not prevent people getting the virus but they do reduce the likelihood of people being hospitalised. In other words, the vaccines make Covid more manageable for most people. According to reports I have read, Australia's first Delta cases only appeared in May 2021. 2 months ago. See below from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ious-is-it

We have seen how rapidly Delta has spread confirming how virulent the Delta strain is. Now that Delta is here, people have the choice to run the risk of going unvaccinated or taking the vaccines on offer. It will always be a choice for individuals, but the Delta variant has changed the considered view of ATAGI. I don't expect your view to change on AZ. But I do hope people over 18 at least consult their Doctor on whether taking the vaccine on offer is better than going unvaccinated in a pandemic.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Nations haven’t eliminated Delta, because there aren’t that many that eliminated Covid before having a Delta breakout.

Not saying it’s easy, but it’s not like there’s direct comparisons I’m aware of.