Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Coronavirus

Post by T_R »

So where are we with the whole coronavirus thingy?

I've been a little concerned for a while, though mostly from a commerical point of view (our bookings are VERY slow at the moment, particularly out of Asia). I've just been chatting to a friend based in China though, and am now halfway between 'gee, I hope they get on top of this soon' and 'I'm going to invest heavily in lime, since we're going to need so much of it for the mass graves'.

Much ado about nothing? Time to lock the gates of the compound and starting shooting at passersby? Where's this on your personal radar?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Coronavirus

Post by zim »

Middle ground. It's not much ado about nothing by any stretch but as with all these things there's a lot of added panic by media sources and the local idiot who doesn't think developing a vaccine is a good idea.
Given where we live just follow basic hygiene and don't eat peoples **** and you'll be fine.

Arstechnica is always a good source if you want to read up on things:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02 ... mushrooms/
Last edited by zim on February 5, 2020, 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Thank God you replied. I thought you were all already dead.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

You'd be surprised how often that happens. My vacant stare doesn't help things.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Do you think it's time to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Its pretty reliably held at a mortality rate of about 2% of known cases... It is very likely there is thousands of cases undocumented right now because symptoms never got serious enough to get on the radar, so the actual mortality rate on this is probably going to be extremely low and most deaths from it will be elderly people and those who suffered complications of other issues due to this disease.
They've already got it into labs around the world, vaccines and tests to identify it are already well on its way. So i think this will fizzle out pretty quickly without too much damage (obviously talking on a world scale, there is near enough to 500 people who have died now and that cant be dismissed, those people have friends and family who are no doubt deeply impacted)
But for me, i'm not that concerned from either a personal or world scale

What i find interesting is how medical science has kept this era of the human race clean of pandemics.
I often wonder how long we can sustain this? Are we just at a point of medical advancement that we'll never have another Bubonic Plague again? That seems rather unlikely to me.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If you're locking the gates and laying low in the bunker for a few months, TR. Make sure to save space for our old friend @The Nickman
He's been in a full blown panic about this for a few weeks now. We've had to talk him off the ledge a few times
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I wondered where he got to.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

He obviously picked a ledge without Wifi
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: February 5, 2020, 12:32 pm Its pretty reliably held at a mortality rate of about 2% of known cases... It is very likely there is thousands of cases undocumented right now because symptoms never got serious enough to get on the radar, so the actual mortality rate on this is probably going to be extremely low and most deaths from it will be elderly people and those who suffered complications of other issues due to this disease.
Had a long chat with a doctor friend, who talked me through the Lancet reporting on this. They have completely rejected the 2% figure - and in fact all data out of China. All 'official' data from the Lancet (which is probably as official as it gets in the med world, I guess) will be based on data drawn from overseas cases. Not necessarily worse than 2% (and actually better to this point), but much too early to say. She's not terribly concerned,by the way. Her take is that there have been no reported deaths anywhere outside the elderly, except in a small number of cases where there are clear issues of immune system compromise.

For those of us in the travel industry and related fields, it's going to be interesting times. Hopefully, it's a fizzler. For me, the absolute worst case outcome of this is Nickman showing up looking for somewhere to stay.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah I’m not worried yet. That said, we had the Bubonic Plague in 1720, Cholera in 1820, and Spanish Flu in 1920. Seems like we’re due for some form of mass plague this year
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Much ado.

Not particularly infectious.

Most people get a cold. A few people die. As pig said, the reported mortality rate is likely well over estimated due to the number of people with mild illness going undiagnosed.

It's curious the response. Clearly there is media driven hysteria, but the WHO and various health authorities responses have been very strong. I receive several "update emails" a day from QLD Health and local health. All of which say the same thing. I've no idea why they have to send so many to say so little. When I've spoken to people who have a good understanding of what is going on, they come across as meh.

Bird flu is where it is at. Cases have recently been detected in China. 50% mortality. If that thing mutates to allow human to human transmission, a whole lot of people are going to die.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Well, good, I guess

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:He obviously picked a ledge without Wifi
I think we just need a 'the NRL is against the poor Raiders' post to draw him out of the woodwork.

Lead us to that promise land Todd Greenberg vs Curtis Scott.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

They use an R0 value to indicate how contagious an infection is. Essentially it is an estimate of how many people an infected person will infect in a vulnerable (non immune) population.

From reports that I've seen Coronavirus has an R0 of around 1.5. In contrast, measles the most infectious disease in the world has an R0 of about 16. With a mortality rate of 0.2%,measles in a vulnerable population is far more dangerous. An example being the 80 dead children in Samoa at the end of last year.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:They use an R0 value to indicate how contagious an infection is. Essentially it is an estimate of how many people an infected person will infect in a vulnerable (non immune) population.

From reports that I've seen Coronavirus has an R0 of around 1.5. In contrast, measles the most infectious disease in the world has an R0 of about 16. With a mortality rate of 0.2%,measles in a vulnerable population is far more dangerous. An example being the 80 dead children in Samoa at the end of last year.
Where did you get the R0 data from? Ive heard much higher...?

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:They use an R0 value to indicate how contagious an infection is. Essentially it is an estimate of how many people an infected person will infect in a vulnerable (non immune) population.

I dunno. Somewhere. Hope that helps
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This says that WHO estimate between 1.5 to 2.5, but others are estimating as high as 5.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-c ... ead-2020-2

I was told by someone whose business it is to know that if I shared a lift with an infectious person I was highly unlikely to become infected.

Of the 9 people kept in isolation on the Gold Coast, 5 have now come back positive. 4 have not. They have all had very close contact with one another.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This is a really good podcast that I listen to. They are on the ball. I haven't listened to this episode yet. Perhaps they say that we are all going to die.
https://pca.st/o1707ndv
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:This is a really good podcast that I listen to. They are on the ball. I haven't listened to this episode yet. Perhaps they say that we are all going to die.
https://pca.st/o1707ndv
Thank you!

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:

No

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:

No

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Living in Singapore and places are selling out of face masks, packet noodles and condoms- people use them on their fingers so they don't have to touch lift buttons.

One of the local infections as a tour guide and another was a taxi driver so there is a bit of a worry it could go very big. Sphincters are clenched because we are all packed in so tight here with no where else to go...
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

BadnMean wrote:Living in Singapore and places are selling out of face masks, packet noodles and condoms- people use them on their fingers so they don't have to touch lift buttons.

One of the local infections as a tour guide and another was a taxi driver so there is a bit of a worry it could go very big. Sphincters are clenched because we are all packed in so tight here with no where else to go...
Face masks are gone everywhere. I need a pack for a trip to Taiwan next week (meetings I have arranged have requested that everyone wear them), but they are completely sold out in Noosa.

In Noosa!

People are worried.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Wish I had face mask shares...
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Though I note The Medical Elite, like Zaius here, are strutting around, secure in the knowledge that they can raid the supply closet.

Masks for the people!

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

T_R wrote: February 8, 2020, 2:26 pm
BadnMean wrote:Living in Singapore and places are selling out of face masks, packet noodles and condoms- people use them on their fingers so they don't have to touch lift buttons.

Face masks are gone everywhere. I need a pack for a trip to Taiwan next week (meetings I have arranged have requested that everyone wear them), but they are completely sold out in Noosa.

In Noosa!

People are worried.

To be fair, Satan has had grand plans for Noosa for a while...

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commen ... e451564cd6
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:Though I note The Medical Elite, like Zaius here, are strutting around, secure in the knowledge that they can raid the supply closet.

Masks for the people!

There have to be some perks to the job since they tightened up on Big Pharma rorts.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Unless someone coughs right in your face, you're not going to get this from breathing. Masks will protect you by stopping you putting your germy hands to your face, but not otherwise. Invest in hand sanitiser and use it often.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Found nickman at Woolooware golf club. Tried to say hi and he told me to get nicked. Classic Nickman.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Coronavirus

Post by Sid »

280 Australian citizens flying in from Wuhan are being quarantined around 7km from where I live, but I don’t seem to be as apprehensive about it as most around here seem to be. They’re not people who are infected, it seems a precautionary move to keep them here for a couple of weeks for screening etc.

Going by the majority of Facebook posts on the news articles regarding this, it seems without knowing precisely what the danger is, it’s time for everyone here to crack each other’s skulls open and feed on the goo inside.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: February 8, 2020, 9:04 pm 280 Australian citizens flying in from Wuhan are being quarantined around 7km from where I live, but I don’t seem to be as apprehensive about it as most around here seem to be. They’re not people who are infected, it seems a precautionary move to keep them here for a couple of weeks for screening etc.

Going by the majority of Facebook posts on the news articles regarding this, it seems without knowing precisely what the danger is, it’s time for everyone here to crack each other’s skulls open and feed on the goo inside.
He's right you know.

About the ox?

ABOUT EVERYTHING DAMMIT
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:
Sid wrote: February 8, 2020, 9:04 pm 280 Australian citizens flying in from Wuhan are being quarantined around 7km from where I live, but I don’t seem to be as apprehensive about it as most around here seem to be. They’re not people who are infected, it seems a precautionary move to keep them here for a couple of weeks for screening etc.

He's right you know.

About the ox?

ABOUT EVERYTHING DAMMIT
Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future’s not ours to see
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: February 8, 2020, 3:10 pm Unless someone coughs right in your face, you're not going to get this from breathing. Masks will protect you by stopping you putting your germy hands to your face, but not otherwise. Invest in hand sanitiser and use it often.
My grandson who is 6, goes to a public school in NSW Country. They must use hand sanitiser before entering the class room first thing in the morning, at every break and before going home. From what you have said Dr Z, NSW Education and his school is right on the money with this.

I understand that the deaths from Coronavirus has now overtaken those from SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome). Listen to the experts in the field, like Dr Z, and take sensible precautions. I am no expert, but an investment in hand sanitiser for the family to use often, would be a prudent move.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The knock ons have started - both the Chinese F1 Grand Prix and the Tokyo Marathon (minus pro field) have been cancelled due to health and travel risks.