Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mickey_Raider »

It is interesting and it prompts the question:

Is action taken which prevents disaster, but which is seen in some quarters as overkill; worse than an action perceived to be proportionate but which ends in disaster?

I don’t think it is.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:It is interesting and it prompts the question:

Is action taken which prevents disaster, but which is seen in some quarters as overkill; worse than an action perceived to be proportionate but which ends in disaster?

I don’t think it is.
Clearly not, but the key there is "prevents disaster". Some of the "short, sharp lockdowns" hailed a success by those that implemented it, saw no further cases identified and thus didn't prevent disaster, only prevented people from earning a living, going to school, seeing family etc. As Melbourne are finding out,, when a lockdown is needed, it's needed for more than a few days. Nothing short about them. The cynic in me believes that some of the "short sharp lockdowns" have been more about show than health. They haven't prevented disaster. We've seen the old adage "never let a crisis go to waste" play out on repeat from all sides of politics this pandemic.

Have SA over reacted? Time will tell. The epidemiologist on The Project tonight is a big fan of go hard go early described SA as going <very> hard <very> early. He felt it's because they have little experience in contact tracing outbreaks. Would Victoria, NSW or Queensland have locked down over this number of cases? I doubt it. That said, perhaps they've got intel that the Greek Restaurant is a superapreader event, and case numbers are about to explode, in which case - good call. Time will tell.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote: The game plan is shifting. I think that the current Victorian approach has the best balance. Once they had transmissions at the MCG they new that they had a problem and came down hard.
Now who might have predicted exactly this?…
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: The game plan is shifting. I think that the current Victorian approach has the best balance. Once they had transmissions at the MCG they new that they had a problem and came down hard.
Now who might have predicted exactly this?…
Huh?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gangrenous wrote: I think the issue now is that NSW rolling the dice has put other jurisdictions at risk. So that lockdown backup seems like it will not be an acceptable backup any longer. So I suspect we’ll see greater pressure in future for even NSW to go a circuit breaker route.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW has stuffed up big time. Now it’s in the regional NSW, Victoria and South Australia. The NSW Premier and Government have to take responsibility for putting a whole country at risk. I’m not seeing any regrets from them. Between Gladys Berejiklian and Scott Morrison we’ve seen one of the biggest failures in public policy ever seen in this country.

The hubris shown by Gladys Berejiklian… and telling other States how wrong they were etc etc. Regrettable… for the country. How wrong she was.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The reaction of the Orange, Blayney and Cabonne shires has been interesting. As far as I can glean from the published reports no one from the Orange area has been diagnosed with Covid so far. A person from South West Sydney with Covid while infectious visited the area. I hope the testing shows that no one from the area is positive. It is a 7 day lockdown from midnight tonight. I think the 'stay home' message has been delivered loud and often, but there are individuals who don't abide by the clear message.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Red Raider… there’s a case of community transmission in Blayney. And a number of close contact sites in Orange et al.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... 3cedab0c52
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 21, 2021, 12:06 am Red Raider… there’s a case of community transmission in Blayney. And a number of close contact sites in Orange et al.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... 3cedab0c52
Thanks GE. I heard on the ABC this morning about the case in Blayney. I hope the Go Hard, Go Early shutdown is successful. The testing will be all important in learning if the virus has been contained.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

112 cases and up to 73 cases infectious in the community today in NSW.

Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Out of 80,000 tests.. that's pretty good considering.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2021, 11:12 am Out of 80,000 tests.. that's pretty good considering.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I don't think you can call a result yielding an approximate doubling of the "potentially infectious in the community " result from 24 hours prior a good outcome.

Sounds downright grim to me.
Up The Milk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Not gonna lie, today’s update was a bit of a kick in the guts.

I know it’s a selfish reason, but I was really looking forward to having a bit of a birthday bash in a couple of weeks. Started cancelling bookings now, realising that won’t be happening again this year.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

feeling for you and the other sydneysiders Fui, can't imagine.
Today it feels inevitable the whole state or country is headed back to April 2020, I'm not sure I can do that again I'm just so busy at work I can't dedicate time to home schooling or trying to work from home in a house full

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

What a **** result. Doesn't feel like we are getting anywhere at the moment.

The last lockdown triggered the collapse of my last relationship, although I don't blame covid for that it probably did me a favour. But the mental health consequences and impacts on people of these lockdowns will be felt for years.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Anyone see Gladys on the tv this morning.

Girl needs a cuddle.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

There will be an inevitable transition period from our current position of locking down to attempt to essentially eliminate the virus (pre vaccination) to dealing with daily figures in the 10s of thousands with minimised hospitalisations/deaths (post vaccination).

Im starting to wonder if we are currently looking at the merger from our old stance of elimination to an early transition to the other model. This thing is spreading completely differently to the last strains, and I dont think (correct me if im wrong) that any other country has successfully eliminated a proper Delta strain spread once it has kicked off like this before.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Coastalraider wrote: July 21, 2021, 2:14 pm There will be an inevitable transition period from our current position of locking down to attempt to essentially eliminate the virus (pre vaccination) to dealing with daily figures in the 10s of thousands with minimised hospitalisations/deaths (post vaccination).

Im starting to wonder if we are currently looking at the merger from our old stance of elimination to an early transition to the other model. This thing is spreading completely differently to the last strains, and I dont think (correct me if im wrong) that any other country has successfully eliminated a proper Delta strain spread once it has kicked off like this before.
It's an interesting point. Our transition will be very different from places like Europe where they have 10s of thousands of cases yet are getting back to relative normality. The Open Golf, Tour De France, British GP all had packed crowds. Their fear of the virus is greatly diminished as the majority of the population have had access to vaccines. By contrast we've had relative freedom the past 8-10 months because we've been able to close ourselves off to a degree. Now with around 100 cases per day in our largest city and we're back to full lockdown because we're still in elimination mode.

At some stage we'll need to shift from one to the other. Expect that to come something in the next few months. In the 50+ age bracket (the highest risk category) we have 60% of the population at least partially vaccinated. With 12 weeks between 1st and 2nd jabs for AZ that figure will become fully vaccinated by end of September. With all the Pfizer vaccines now being distributed (along with shorter time span for full vax) we'll be looking at more than 50% of the total adult population fully vaccinated come Grand Final weekend. Question will then be how authorities respond to these kind of outbreaks when risk to the community has been greatly diminished.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Those aren't great numbers, but we're yet to see the results of the tightening of restrictions, so time will tell.

Increased restrictions mean that while those people haven't been in isolation, their activity in the community was hopefully limited to ducking into Woolies, and exercising away from others. They will be out and about less, and less people are out and about, meaning less people to infect for the next generation. Less exposure sites per person will mean that contact tracing can be performed more efficiently, and hopefully they can get ahead and isolate more before infectious. Hopefully come the weekend numbers start to come down.

Testing numbers are ridiculously high. 83k is about 1% of NSWs population or around 2% of Sydney's population in a day. In the last 7 days they've tested about 6% of the NSW population or 12% of Sydney's. That's a fair cross-section and they would have to have confidence that they are identifying most cases and have a good handle on how much disease is out there.

Overall its trending better than the Melbourne outbreak last year. But look at the Melbourne delta curve. Despite them locking down pretty quickly, its about to fly past the Avalon cluster, and will likely cap out at higher numbers than Crossroads. Its remarkably transmissible.Image
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The israelis are casting doubt on how effective Pfizer is against Delta as well, or at least two shots of Pfizer vs a third.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote: July 21, 2021, 3:03 pm
Coastalraider wrote: July 21, 2021, 2:14 pm There will be an inevitable transition period from our current position of locking down to attempt to essentially eliminate the virus (pre vaccination) to dealing with daily figures in the 10s of thousands with minimised hospitalisations/deaths (post vaccination).

It's an interesting point. Our transition will be very different from places like Europe where they have 10s of thousands of cases yet are getting back to relative normality. The Open Golf, Tour De France, British GP all had packed crowds. Their fear of the virus is greatly diminished as the majority of the population have had access to vaccines. By contrast we've had relative freedom the past 8-10 months because we've been able to close ourselves off to a degree. Now with around 100 cases per day in our largest city and we're back to full lockdown because we're still in elimination mode.

At some stage we'll need to shift from one to the other. Expect that to come something in the next few months. In the 50+ age bracket (the highest risk category) we have 60% of the population at least partially vaccinated. With 12 weeks between 1st and 2nd jabs for AZ that figure will become fully vaccinated by end of September. With all the Pfizer vaccines now being distributed (along with shorter time span for full vax) we'll be looking at more than 50% of the total adult population fully vaccinated come Grand Final weekend. Question will then be how authorities respond to these kind of outbreaks when risk to the community has been greatly diminished.
Problem will be the total mishmash of a response, although I expect that the three Eastern Seaboard states will have a similar approach, and just get on with life. Will be interesting to see if WA try to hold out as a Covid free island.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: July 21, 2021, 3:09 pm

Problem will be the total mishmash of a response, although I expect that the three Eastern Seaboard states will have a similar approach, and just get on with life. Will be interesting to see if WA try to hold out as a Covid free island.
Total mishmash of responses and messaging has been a big issue to date. None of our governments can claim innocence for that. We had a united front in the early days. Thats descended into the usual political point scoring over the past 6 months. To be expected given they are politicians. You get the feeling a lot of them are getting tired of playing this game, which has ultimately made nobody look good. Might get back to a more coordinated approach (except WA).
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 21, 2021, 3:09 pm

Total mishmash of responses and messaging has been a big issue to date. None of our governments can claim innocence for that. We had a united front in the early days. Thats descended into the usual political point scoring over the past 6 months. To be expected given they are politicians. You get the feeling a lot of them are getting tired of playing this game, which has ultimately made nobody look good. Might get back to a more coordinated approach (except WA).
Totally agree. In the early days there was the expectation that we were a couple of weeks behind Italy. United front.

As soon as we realised we were looking good the political point scoring began. I sure hope they are over it. I was over it during the initial Melbourne lockdown with the cheap shots from the Feds, and Palaszczuk playing with the lives of border town residents to win an election.

I think that everyone has had enough. Just roll out the **** vaccine, and once every one who wants it has had the opportunity to get it, open the border and welcome covid with open arms.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just having a look at UK, where I pointed out they're allowing full crowds at sporting events. They are about to top 1 million active cases and getting around 50,000 new cases per day. Of those million cases only 611 are listed as serious/critical. When you see that you can understand why they're not as concerned by the recent spike in active cases. Simply put vaccination is working and as a community they no longer live in fear of COVID.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It's going to be interesting to watch. They are tipping to hit 100,000 new cases a day in a month or two.

AZ has done the heavy lifting. The US is the other place to watch. They are largely the mRNA vaccines - Moderna and Pfizer - which likely reduce transmission as well as death. They are seeing cases rise, largely in states with low vaccination rates and are calling it a pandemic of the unvaccinated.
https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-cases ... 0f749.html
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

My friend in Chicago said they are basically handing out Pfizer on the street like chips, pleading with people to get vaccinated, they have so much vaccine. Here we are on the other hand like povos.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: July 21, 2021, 5:41 pm My friend in Chicago said they are basically handing out Pfizer on the street like chips, pleading with people to get vaccinated, they have so much vaccine. Here we are on the other hand like povos.
If we're currently getting 1 million doses a week as reported then we'll be in similar position.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: July 21, 2021, 5:59 pm
Azza wrote: July 21, 2021, 5:41 pm My friend in Chicago said they are basically handing out Pfizer on the street like chips, pleading with people to get vaccinated, they have so much vaccine. Here we are on the other hand like povos.
If we're currently getting 1 million doses a week as reported then we'll be in similar position.
I can't register to get vaccinated until late September / early October. To me, that's a terrible result. We may get to a similar position, but we've been way, way too slow.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: July 21, 2021, 6:08 pm
I can't register to get vaccinated until late September / early October. To me, that's a terrible result. We may get to a similar position, but we've been way, way too slow.
When they start wider distribution there will plenty available. They have to use up vials once taken out of storage.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: July 21, 2021, 6:14 pm
When they start wider distribution there will plenty available. They have to use up vials once taken out of storage.
My point is, to be getting the vaccine in the last quarter of this year potentially is a massive failure of public policy. I'm used to it though, this is the same bunch of clowns that botched the NBN.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Registration for people aged 30-39 opened up for people in the ACT today and 5000 signed up in the first 24 hours.

Now I get to play the waiting game.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: July 21, 2021, 6:49 pm
My point is, to be getting the vaccine in the last quarter of this year potentially is a massive failure of public policy. I'm used to it though, this is the same bunch of clowns that botched the NBN.
Noted.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Northern Raider wrote: July 21, 2021, 7:27 pm
Azza wrote: July 21, 2021, 6:49 pm
Noted.
I note your notation.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Schifty wrote: July 21, 2021, 7:04 pm Registration for people aged 30-39 opened up for people in the ACT today and 5000 signed up in the first 24 hours.

I got a rather unhelpful technical error message from the site when trying to sign up. It's either a tad broken at the moment, or they just hate me specifically.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sterlk wrote:
Schifty wrote: July 21, 2021, 7:04 pm Registration for people aged 30-39 opened up for people in the ACT today and 5000 signed up in the first 24 hours.

I got a rather unhelpful technical error message from the site when trying to sign up. It's either a tad broken at the moment, or they just hate me specifically.
I think that we all know the answer to that.

Watch your back, you obviously know too much