Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Re: Coronavirus

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: October 4, 2021, 9:10 am
papabear wrote: What you believe to be illogical may not be illogical.

Also The irony of mentions bf the caravan moving on when you third man in like Thaiday in his glory years is not lost on me. :p
Was this meant to be in response to Mickey given the caravan reference?
Yep quoting on my phone is a beast to big to tame.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

One of the toughest lockdowns in the world, over one case, but Auckland has succombed to the might of Delta.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/ja ... 58x1a.html
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I love the way the commentary all comes back to nsw. Like nsw invented delta, and there wasn’t someone further up the chain than us.

I haven’t once heard the nsw population blame it all on fedex and their flight crew.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Coastalraider wrote: October 5, 2021, 5:18 am I love the way the commentary all comes back to nsw. Like nsw invented delta, and there wasn’t someone further up the chain than us.

I haven’t once heard the nsw population blame it all on fedex and their flight crew.
true, it is a bit disappointing.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sad news from Victoria today with a record 1763 new infections recorded. Melbourne is now the most Covid locked down city in the world. The Delta variant is a game changer as what worked against earlier variants is not working as well against Delta.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/coron ... 9150f9793f
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And yet all of that doesn’t provide any excuse for the former NSW Premier and the NSW Government for failing to act promptly with proper public health measures. Swift lock downs might not be fully effective… but we know that quick action and tight controls can be and have been against the Delta strain in Australia. Meanwhile we have the very worst example of what happens - in NSW - when you don’t. It is very sad.

We also know what happens when the public health measures aren’t followed (or consistently effected) before widespread vaccination - in Victoria - due to a strange combination of anti vaxers and elements of the mainstream media actually encouraging people not to follow the measures. That’s sad too.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Lol ge

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Needs more bitching about AZ
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Needs more hiding from reality.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Needs more cheerleading for the NSW Government.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Whats not to love about a calculated bloodletting, to get normal living standards back and stop being scared of the big bad a wolf and learn to dance with it, good on NSW, good on you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Needs more cheerleading for the NSW Government.
No one mentioned NSW until you bought it up. The post was about Victoria, but you somehow made it about your grievances with NSW.

Literally every single one of your posts followa the exact same script. It's tedious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The agenda is very clear from some, and that’s to try and absolve the NSW Government from their major policy failings. My response was not to just one post. Just pointing out how the excuses for NSW don’t wash. Now I’m even being told that the vaccination program shouldn’t be criticised. Seriously.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:The agenda is very clear from some, and that’s to try and absolve the NSW Government from their major policy failings. My response was not to just one post. Just pointing out how the excuses for NSW don’t wash. Now I’m even being told that the vaccination program shouldn’t be criticised. Seriously.
You accusing people of agendas. Hello pot.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Needs more “bitching” about Queensland and Western Australia.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

NSW is like jarrod croker all circles back to NSW being at fault and then someone will come in and say all Canberra people have no idea it is a bit tedious just like with jarrod the same point has been made again and again and again.. That said if jarrod wasn't older and injured we would have got rid of covid ages ago..

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: October 5, 2021, 10:17 pm The agenda is very clear from some, and that’s to try and absolve the NSW Government from their major policy failings. My response was not to just one post. Just pointing out how the excuses for NSW don’t wash. Now I’m even being told that the vaccination program shouldn’t be criticised. Seriously.
I agree that the agenda is very clear from some.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I admit I have an agenda. My agenda is public accountability in government. I understand some may be motivated by a mix of political and even State allegiances - and we see a lot of excuses being peddled accordingly. The agenda of some in the media have unfortunately been driven by some very narrow vested interests, which are not in the broader community interest. On these issues I’m not motivated by political or State allegiance. I’ve been one of the few willing to point out the failings of just about every government. Unfortunately some failings have been greater than others, with much more significant consequences.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Those case numbers under 600 and falling sharply, vaccine figures headed into the 90s. Opening back up on the 11th. Finally almost through it.
The summer of zim is fast approaching. Great stuff.
Hopefully VIC rates start to turn now as well. From the graph I'm reading it looks like their past 7 day rolling case count has hit where NSW started to show signs of turning it around. They've just had a big drop in today's case count after yesterdays massive uptick.

Be nice to watch the ashes at the MCG.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The gym I go to will be requiring proof of vaccination on the first visit back. Got to say that makes me feel a lot better about going back.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:The gym I go to will be requiring proof of vaccination on the first visit back. Got to say that makes me feel a lot better about going back.
You'll have the gym almost to yourself. There's a strong anti-vax element in bro-culture/science.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

It's all coming up thrillho.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m afraid to go outside.

The Hunter is losing control with Covid cases.

93 today and the total is well over 1300.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote: October 6, 2021, 10:08 am I admit I have an agenda. My agenda is public accountability in government. I understand some may be motivated by a mix of political and even State allegiances - and we see a lot of excuses being peddled accordingly. The agenda of some in the media have unfortunately been driven by some very narrow vested interests, which are not in the broader community interest. On these issues I’m not motivated by political or State allegiance. I’ve been one of the few willing to point out the failings of just about every government. Unfortunately some failings have been greater than others, with much more significant consequences.
I do not think you are intentionally being dishonest.

I also think you genuinely believe the above post to be the case.

Why is it, do you think, that I and others think that you have an axe to grind against one particular state in general?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote: October 6, 2021, 4:08 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 6, 2021, 10:08 am I admit I have an agenda. My agenda is public accountability in government. I understand some may be motivated by a mix of political and even State allegiances - and we see a lot of excuses being peddled accordingly. The agenda of some in the media have unfortunately been driven by some very narrow vested interests, which are not in the broader community interest. On these issues I’m not motivated by political or State allegiance. I’ve been one of the few willing to point out the failings of just about every government. Unfortunately some failings have been greater than others, with much more significant consequences.

Why is it, do you think, that I and others think that you have an axe to grind against one particular state in general?
I guess you haven't read my posts fully or heard all my views. For example, I think the Victorian Government seriously messed up their hotel quarantine system last year, given the security arrangements implemented with an inadequate private security team. I think they probably eased public health measures in the current outbreak too quickly, twice now. I think a number of States have too tightly and unreasonably closed borders (Victoria, South Australia, Queensland and Western Australia) - particularly as they did not allow their own residents to return home - and some in a way that was damaging to border communities (notably Queensland). I think all of them have engaged in unnecessary political point scoring.

I won't repeat my concerns about the failings of the federal government in terms of quarantine and the vaccination program, and the NSW Government, in handling the latest outbreak. You've probably read those things... because there has been a lot of excuses made for the policy failings of both and one sided criticisms made about some other governments. And I've not been prepared to be silent when they're repeatedly made by others. Not to mention the posts which have aimed to disparage and misrepresent what I'm saying. Some have been downright abusive. If I choose, I'm happy to defend myself in response, as well.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote: October 6, 2021, 5:08 pm

I guess you haven't read my posts fully or heard all my views. For example, I think the Victorian Government seriously messed up their hotel quarantine system last year, given the security arrangements implemented with an inadequate private security team. I think they probably eased public health measures in the current outbreak too quickly, twice now. I think a number of States have too tightly and unreasonably closed borders (Victoria, South Australia, Queensland and Western Australia) - particularly as they did not allow their own residents to return home - and some in a way that was damaging to border communities (notably Queensland). I think all of them have engaged in unnecessary political point scoring.

I won't repeat my concerns about the failings of the federal government in terms of quarantine and the vaccination program, and the NSW Government, in handling the latest outbreak. You've probably read those things... because there has been a lot of excuses made for the policy failings of both and one sided criticisms made about some other governments. And I've not been prepared to be silent when they're repeatedly made by others. Not to mention the posts which have aimed to disparage and misrepresent what I'm saying. Some have been downright abusive. If I choose, I'm happy to defend myself in response, as well.
All reasonable criticisms.

Do you think that you have spent more time on some criticisms as opposed to others?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Coronavirus

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

irvste wrote:NSW is like jarrod croker all circles back to NSW being at fault and then someone will come in and say all Canberra people have no idea it is a bit tedious just like with jarrod the same point has been made again and again and again.. That said if jarrod wasn't older and injured we would have got rid of covid ages ago.. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Main difference is with Dom in charge, NSW will move to right wing
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't recall you being critical of unnecessary border restrictions, quite the opposite in fact. Nor do I recall you being critical of political point scoring apart from generalised statements and specific criticism of the Feds and NSW. Nor have you been measured with your praise, specifically the handling of large outbreaks last year without the need to lockdown entire mega cities.

I honestly don't think that a single person in this forum has come out in support of the Feds in regards to the quarantine and vaccination programs. You seem to take Red's updates on our vaccination program and some sort of compliment to the Feds. No one else is seeing it thst way.

As for Queensland and WA. I live in a town, and deal with people facing the consequences daily of inconsistent and at times completely irrelevant health orders, clearly designed for political gain. I'm angry, very angry at the Queensland government. And Mark McGowan is just about the biggest knob in Australian politics, up their with Dutton, Kelly et al.

As for NSWs handling of this current outbreak, I'm sure if you go back and read through the posts you will find that I was critical of their lockdown speed. Clearly their indecisiveness on locking down hard and fast was the wrong one. However these are not simple decisions, with black or white choices. The decision to move away from a previously, highly successful strategy, to lock down a vast, economically critical megacity with discreet geographical areas, the size of Sydney could be no means an easy one. Understanding the cognitive processes involved in making an incorrect decision does not excuse that decision.

Anyway, that's me out, this thread has become a **** fight. See you all in the new year, and good luck in the wars ahead.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote: October 6, 2021, 5:28 pm
All reasonable criticisms.

Do you think that you have spent more time on some criticisms as opposed to others?
Probably about as much time as others have been excusing the failings of the federal vaccination and quarantine programs and the NSW government’s mishandling of the latest outbreak, I’d say. It’s understandable that they’re the more controversial. As they have had by far the most serious consequences.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Greeneyed wrote:I understand some may be motivated by a mix of political and even State allegiances

Irony is dead.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Lockdown has been unbearable with Bunnings also shut... can't wait for it to open again.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Let's all lighten up...pub is booked for next Monday.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote: I honestly don't think that a single person in this forum has come out in support of the Feds in regards to the quarantine and vaccination programs. You seem to take Red's updates on our vaccination program and some sort of compliment to the Feds. No one else is seeing it thst way.
A refresher for you:
cat wrote:
You think labor could of done better?

Scotty isn't perfect but he was the one who shut the country down, started hotel quarantine ( uk, usa, etc didnt go down that path and look where they got to), started jobkeeper, jobseeker and all the other job things. Were they perfect? No but better then nothing, most countries had no financial support
He also organised the vaccination supply, ok AZ didn't work out but it was the best option at first as we could make it ourselves and was easier to transport so I get why he went with it. I also dont think AZ is this horror vaccine people have been brainwashed into believing.

So yeah i thank scotty
Also RedRaider objected to you saying that the government had put all their eggs in one basket for AZ, and the updates are very reminiscent of his approach in the climate change thread where he similarly supports the government’s wholly inept performance.

I think if you ask him directly you’ll find him supportive of ScoMo here as well.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Gangers, my posts in this thread have been based on facts about Corona virus and the response to it based on information produced by the Health Dept. and other sources, all of which I include, so people know where the information is coming from. As far as I am aware this is following GH rules. The posts don't have any purpose other than to put some facts into the thread.

I am interested in the daily Health Dept updates on the vaccine roll out because vaccination helps people. I am pro vaccination and have said so a number of times.

This is the Coronavirus thread, not the politics thread, so I stay with Coronavirus. I am concerned that there is no vaccination yet approved in Australia for those under 12 years of age. I am concerned Australia may not yet be done with Coronavirus and we currently have no ability to make our own mRNA vaccines. I am concerned there may be other variants worse than Delta which if Australia opens up too soon may get in.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 22be40be53