Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Coronavirus

Post by -TW- »

I think the 31st will be D-day.

That's 2 weeks after the non essential retail ban. Obviously delta spreads quicker, but if numbers don't begin to fall by then, it's hard to see a way out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm struggling to see a way out now. With a useless prime minister to boot it's hard to feel optimistic.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Azza wrote: July 26, 2021, 3:06 pm I'm struggling to see a way out now. With a useless prime minister to boot it's hard to feel optimistic.
It's really up to the public to get out of this not politicians.

Had grown adults not behaved like spoilt brats this would be over with by now.
WorkChoice
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

LP Raider wrote: July 26, 2021, 4:43 pm
Azza wrote: July 26, 2021, 3:06 pm I'm struggling to see a way out now. With a useless prime minister to boot it's hard to feel optimistic.

Forget it! It seems we are devolving as a species as the decades roll on.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LP Raider wrote:

Agreed, members of the public should really have gone out and sourced their own Pfizer vaccines, without any assistance from the government, before winter set in. Once sourced they should also have injected their own vaccine.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gergreg wrote: July 26, 2021, 5:00 pm
LP Raider wrote:

Agreed, members of the public should really have gone out and sourced their own Pfizer vaccines, without any assistance from the government, before winter set in. Once sourced they should also have injected their own vaccine.

Agreed!

I also think that back in mid-to-late June it really should have been incumbent on 2 million Sydneysiders to call their boss and declare they won't be working indefinitely because a COVID outbreak may or may not be occurring across the city. But demand full payment in the meantime.
Up The Milk
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

LP Raider wrote:

You're getting how the free world works then.
WorkChoice
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

gergreg wrote:
LP Raider wrote:

Yeah when this outbreak was just in the Eastern suburbs, those latte drinkers should have made the call to isolate the whole suburb to avoid it spreading throughout the rest of Sydney
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 26, 2021, 7:53 am This is a bit off topic, but talking about the role of social media, what are people's experiences and thoughts on Tik Tok. I've not used, but there are significant concerns. A Chinese owned company with an algorithm that determines your content, and has been accused of censorship.

The dark side of TikTok's algorithm
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-26/ ... /100277134
All I get is food hacks and people's kmart buys

The 2 ingredient oreo mug cake is worth and corruption of democracy IMO
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LP Raider wrote:
LP Raider wrote:

TBH I wouldn't know where to start with sourcing a Pfizer vaccine for me and my family. Where would you suggest, you seem to be in the know?

I guess I could watch YouTube to work out how to inject myself and my family, safely. They didn't quite cover it at the first aid training I did 7 years ago.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Start with Gumtree. You can get anything there
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Schifty wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 26, 2021, 7:53 am This is a bit off topic, but talking about the role of social media, what are people's experiences and thoughts on Tik Tok. I've not used, but there are significant concerns. A Chinese owned company with an algorithm that determines your content, and has been accused of censorship.

The dark side of TikTok's algorithm
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-26/ ... /100277134
All I get is food hacks and people's kmart buys

The 2 ingredient oreo mug cake is worth and corruption of democracy IMO
It's based off what you engage with, so if you watch a video full way through, that's what your algorithm starts giving you.

I dunno what this other **** is all about

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

gergreg wrote: July 26, 2021, 8:37 pm
LP Raider wrote:
LP Raider wrote:

TBH I wouldn't know where to start with sourcing a Pfizer vaccine for me and my family. Where would you suggest, you seem to be in the know?

I guess I could watch YouTube to work out how to inject myself and my family, safely. They didn't quite cover it at the first aid training I did 7 years ago.

EDIT
Last edited by greeneyed on July 26, 2021, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate comment
WorkChoice
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This is worth a watch. Quite awesome
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Queensland need to collectively buy up some lottery tickets...
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

172 cases today.

Crunched the data myself by trawling through nsw health tweets and doing the maths and can reveal the # of people infectious in the community is up to 111.

Headline figure quoted by NSW health was 60.
Up The Milk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah so lockdown is clearly not working to reduce case numbers, only flatten the curve somewhat. Troubling.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Id really like to see the causes of the infection in NSW to get a read on how the spread is occurring. The number of 'under investigation' cases could be simply the tracers havent caught up on all numbers yet, or the tracers have no idea. How many are household contacts, how many office transmission, how many were picked up in the community. That would give us a real indication of what parts of the lockdown are working and which aren't.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Coastalraider wrote: July 27, 2021, 1:04 pm Id really like to see the causes of the infection in NSW to get a read on how the spread is occurring. The number of 'under investigation' cases could be simply the tracers havent caught up on all numbers yet, or the tracers have no idea. How many are household contacts, how many office transmission, how many were picked up in the community. That would give us a real indication of what parts of the lockdown are working and which aren't.
Yeah, it's that next level of info that's needed if you're going to make any informed judgement. General information only leads to more conjecture.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well we can't keep treading water like this... the mental health implications will be felt for years.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:172 cases today.

Crunched the data myself by trawling through nsw health tweets and doing the maths and can reveal the # of people infectious in the community is up to 111.

Should have saved yourself the trouble Image
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 27, 2021, 2:55 pm

I don't quite get your angle mate. That is exactly the tweet that I used to arrive at the 111 figure.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:

I don't quite get your angle mate. That is exactly the tweet that I used to arrive at the 111 figure.
I assumed that you did it some other way, you made it sound like some sort of monumental expedition. It literally took me 10 seconds.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 27, 2021, 3:37 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:

I assumed that you did it some other way, you made it sound like some sort of monumental expedition. It literally took me 10 seconds.
:lol: JFC dude. I obviously didn't literally whip out the whiteboard, cancel my meetings and close the doors to conduct the calculations. I was being facetious.

But 10 mins deep into the presser I just wanted that information, and it still hadn't come. It finally does come in a tweet nest. Many media outlets still run with the headline figure for the rest of the day anyway. I think it is misleading and ultimately futile to do this, because downstream COVID case numbers don't lie.

As we discussed yesterday, I think it is slack. And moreover, I am starting to think that it might be contributing to some of the complacency/non-compliance across the city.
Up The Milk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Jumped the queue and got my first jab.

Grilling up some Wuhanese pangolin tonight to celebrate.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Reports today that now Novavax supplies are going to be delayed until next year.
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 27, 2021, 3:37 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:

Image JFC dude. I obviously didn't literally whip out the whiteboard, cancel my meetings and close the doors to conduct the calculations. I was being facetious.

But 10 mins deep into the presser I just wanted that information, and it still hadn't come. It finally does come in a tweet nest. Many media outlets still run with the headline figure for the rest of the day anyway. I think it is misleading and ultimately futile to do this, because downstream COVID case numbers don't lie.

As we discussed yesterday, I think it is slack. And moreover, I am starting to think that it might be contributing to some of the complacency/non-compliance across the city.
Was just trying to be helpful Image
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:Jumped the queue and got my first jab.

Grilling up some Wuhanese pangolin tonight to celebrate.

Quite nice with a garlic rub
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Some knob that teachers at Kings Grammar was reported by his own school for attending the covid spread march.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/the ... .html?btis
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Schifty wrote:Some knob that teachers at Kings Grammar was reported by his own school for attending the covid spread march.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/the ... .html?btis
Looks like one from St Ives High as well. I'm tipping that they don't teach science
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The lock down of the Blayney, Orange and Cabonne Shire Council Areas in the NSW Central West ends at midnight tonight. Thankfully no community transmission has been recorded. Sewage testing also proving to be clear of the Covid virus. This is positive news.

No positive news from Sydney with the headline number of Covid detection rising to 172 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night. Clearly this is moving in the wrong direction. Announcements to be made tomorrow about extending the lock down beyond 31 July. Tougher restrictions also likely.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

RedRaider wrote:The lock down of the Blayney, Orange and Cabonne Shire Council Areas in the NSW Central West ends at midnight tonight. Thankfully no community transmission has been recorded. Sewage testing also proving to be clear of the Covid virus. This is positive news.

No positive news from Sydney with the headline number of Covid detection rising to 172 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night. Clearly this is moving in the wrong direction. Announcements to be made tomorrow about extending the lock down beyond 31 July. Tougher restrictions also likely.
And Victorians everywhere are losing their **** over this
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Pfizer now arriving in Australia at about 1 million doses per week and AZ being produced at about 1 million doses per week. Vaccinations are running at about 1 million doses per week, meaning there is no vaccine supply issue. Hopefully people in the Greater Sydney hot spot areas will see that the risk of catching Covid if unvaccinated is far higher than the much smaller risk of having AZ. Australian total vaccinations now at 11.4 million up to yesterday.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

FOUR MORE WEEKS
FOUR MORE WEEKS

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10032827 ... ssion=true