Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Coronavirus

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Azza wrote:We're all, in this, together...
And everything we’ve done since this lockdown started has been off the back of following the best health advice in the state
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I haven't really followed this in Aus. How are you only at 12% vaccinated after eight months?

We have done this tougher than most (in the developed world) and one thing is certain - the only thing that stops this is vaccination.

Lock downs can slow it, so that healthcare resources can be managed, but they can't eliminate it.

I've seen some of the horrors pretty close up. Please, wherever you are in the country, if you haven't had a vaccine yet, book in for one today.

You need to have had both to be safe from the Delta variant, so you can't act too soon.

Choosing to wait for Pfizer ahead of AZ is like saying you'll take your chances walking down the motorway because sometimes some cars crash.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:10 pm All the talk about "living with it" is completely academic until we reach the critical threshold of vaccinations (which is still yet to be identified).

No premier is going to let it rip with a pathetic 12% of the population vaxxed.

A lot of the hand wringing and hyperbole about "locking down forever" is misguided. I don't think governments will sit around waiting for every last person to get vaccinated before shunning lockdowns. You would think it would be enough for every person to have had the opportunity to get vaccinated before doing so.

At that point, it is on the individuals, rather than the incompetence of government.
So long as we have the choice of a safe vaccine.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Complacency as we haven't had a major outbreak until Sydney this year, hesitancy as they cocked up the advice on AZ and back flipped on it about 6 times. And the over 70s dragging their **** and holding the rest of the country up

It's picked up pace the last 2 months, but the 4 prior it was hard going.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

MrPosh wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:49 pm I haven't really followed this in Aus. How are you only at 12% vaccinated after eight months?

We have done this tougher than most (in the developed world) and one thing is certain - the only thing that stops this is vaccination.

Lock downs can slow it, so that healthcare resources can be managed, but they can't eliminate it.

I've seen some of the horrors pretty close up. Please, wherever you are in the country, if you haven't had a vaccine yet, book in for one today.

You need to have had both to be safe from the Delta variant, so you can't act too soon.

Choosing to wait for Pfizer ahead of AZ is like saying you'll take your chances walking down the motorway because sometimes some cars crash.
There's one main numpty in this thread who is anti-AZ, most of the rest of us are fine with it. I'm getting my first jab tomorrow.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I don't think that NSW can just open up and let it rip until the other states are at a desirable level vaccination. Sydney is our major freight hub, it won't take long to spread everywhere.

On a brighter note, the UK seems to be holding steady, letting it rip with only about 56% the entire population fully vaccinated

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

So who had Andrew Voss tweeting "but what about big Pharma!" talking points on their 2021 bingo card?

He isn't anti vax but putting that stuff out only gives those views more air time.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Let it rip, the countries **** anyway
This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coronavirus

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote: As for the extended family visitation. What is wrong with these people. Why don't they hate their extended family like normal people? Image
They do. That’s why they’re trying to give them COVID Image
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

MrPosh wrote: Lock downs can slow it, so that healthcare resources can be managed, but they can't eliminate it.
That’s blatantly false. It can and has been eliminated through lockdowns in AUS/NZ.

You can argue that you can’t practically keep it out forever. But you certainly can eliminate by lockdowns depending on caseload and strain.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:52 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:10 pm All the talk about "living with it" is completely academic until we reach the critical threshold of vaccinations (which is still yet to be identified).

A lot of the hand wringing and hyperbole about "locking down forever" is misguided. I don't think governments will sit around waiting for every last person to get vaccinated before shunning lockdowns. You would think it would be enough for every person to have had the opportunity to get vaccinated before doing so.

At that point, it is on the individuals, rather than the incompetence of government.
So long as we have the choice of a safe vaccine.
Yeah when I say opportunity I am referring to Pfizer. And particularly once the public rollout has been exhausted and the balance of unvaccinated people only exists because of individual anti vax attitudes or vaccine hesitancy.

Previous polling indicated that roughly 25% of people had some level of vaccine hesitancy. But that was before these recent lockdowns. That number probably drops in that context.

Either way we are a long long way from that yet.
Up The Milk
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-TW- wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:46 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:All the talk about "living with it" is completely academic until we reach the critical threshold of vaccinations (which is still yet to be identified).

I think the Grattan institute are doing the target sums at the moment.

It will basically be majority of the population with enough padding in the ICU capacity to not completely overwhelm it

Edit: they've released this today https://grattan.edu.au/report/race-to-80/ 80% is their number

But my point is, 80% of what? If this hasn’t improved by the end of august, surely more vaccines will be directed to Sydney. We may be able to reach 80% in greater Sydney,
Meaning we can all go back to work but be restricted geographically. Then focus on the rest of nsw, keeping state borders shut.

If we wait for 80% of the country to be vaccinated greater Sydney will be in lockdown for the next 4 or so months, which having the largest population base locked up and not serving the economy surely won’t happen.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Question wrote: July 29, 2021, 7:30 pm Let it rip, the countries **** anyway
Agreed. Or give WA and McGowan all the int'l arrivals.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Coastalraider wrote: July 29, 2021, 8:00 pm
-TW- wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:46 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:All the talk about "living with it" is completely academic until we reach the critical threshold of vaccinations (which is still yet to be identified).

I think the Grattan institute are doing the target sums at the moment.

It will basically be majority of the population with enough padding in the ICU capacity to not completely overwhelm it

Edit: they've released this today https://grattan.edu.au/report/race-to-80/ 80% is their number

But my point is, 80% of what? If this hasn’t improved by the end of august, surely more vaccines will be directed to Sydney. We may be able to reach 80% in greater Sydney,
Meaning we can all go back to work but be restricted geographically. Then focus on the rest of nsw, keeping state borders shut.

If we wait for 80% of the country to be vaccinated greater Sydney will be in lockdown for the next 4 or so months, which having the largest population base locked up and not serving the economy surely won’t happen.
Article says 80% of the total population. That would therefore include children.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gangrenous wrote:Think we’re pretty much already in a Melbourne scenario. Hard to see it not going well into triple digits in coming days.
I hate being right.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

New COVID case in a Brisbane high school student. No known link to existing cases as yet. Watch this space.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Earlier this week, a study in Spain showed that the risk of developing blood clots from the AstraZeneca vaccine is the same as the Pfizer jab – and much more likely if you contract COVID-19.

The study, which is yet to be peer reviewed, compared data from over 1.3 million people who had been vaccinated in Catalonia in northern Spain.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10033587 ... ssion=true

Eagerly await the peer review on the study into this unsafe vaccine.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:New COVID case in a female Brisbane high school student. No known link to existing cases as yet. Watch this space.
BJ Mole reporting Jayden Okunbor may have to be stood down from the NRL Covid bubble due to this.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

BJ wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:New COVID case in a female Brisbane high school student. No known link to existing cases as yet. Watch this space.
BJ Mole reporting Jayden Okunbor may have to be stood down from the NRL Covid bubble due to this.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BJ wrote: July 30, 2021, 9:45 am
:lol: :clap:

Quality work BJ
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

-TW- wrote: July 30, 2021, 9:31 am Earlier this week, a study in Spain showed that the risk of developing blood clots from the AstraZeneca vaccine is the same as the Pfizer jab – and much more likely if you contract COVID-19.

The study, which is yet to be peer reviewed, compared data from over 1.3 million people who had been vaccinated in Catalonia in northern Spain.

Don't give Steven ammunition :lol:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

More than 210,000 vaccines given in Australia yesterday. A new record number and one that is still too low. Total vaccines given now top 12 million with over 39% having a first vaccine and over 18% have had both doses. Way too low in the Delta world we live in.
https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-a ... ne-rollout
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:Earlier this week, a study in Spain showed that the risk of developing blood clots from the AstraZeneca vaccine is the same as the Pfizer jab – and much more likely if you contract COVID-19.

Colour me skeptical.

First off that’s not going to be enough people. At rates of 1 in 100k if the vaccines were half/half you’re looking at 6 vs 6. Easily fall victim to shot noise.

If this is true where’s the data out of America? How many clots have they seen from vaccinating millions upon millions with Pfizer. Assuming they’ve got vaguely decent health data you should be able to compare outcomes from the UK and US very easily and have 2 orders of magnitude more data to get some decent significance.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I mean there’s this:

“Meanwhile, in the US, where more than 180 million doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been administered, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says there have been zero cases of TTS reported”

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinic ... a-vaccines

I know America’s health care is ****. But have they missed 1000 Pfizer induced TTS cases? Or are they prevented by eating s’mores?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The 25 cases in Europe from Pfizer is interesting

There has to be some form of genetic defect that leads to TTS. In a perfect world those get found before go live, but obviously.. circumstances are a bit different

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: July 30, 2021, 9:23 pm The 25 cases in Europe from Pfizer is interesting

There has to be some form of genetic defect that leads to TTS. In a perfect world those get found before go live, but obviously.. circumstances are a bit different

The condition existed before AZ vax. Something like 5 in every million people, which is why it was referred to as "rare". Possible that some are already susceptible to it and the vax is a trigger.

The Qld CHO commented yesterday that its also a known side effect of Hepavin. Of course we don't get headlines when somebody suffers TTS after taking Hepavin.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Great to see China leading the way at the Olympics, A real gem of a country that one.
This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:The Qld CHO commented yesterday that its also a known side effect of Hepavin. Of course we don't get headlines when somebody suffers TTS after taking Hepavin.
… which is logical and reasonable because the whole population doesn’t need to take Heparin, and if they do presumably their medical practitioners would be deeming the risk of not using Heparin as greater than using it.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

US man pleads guilty over attempted $430m COVID fraud on NSW

https://www.smh.com.au/business/banking ... 58ec1.html

TLDR

NSW Gov almost purchased 50 million non-existent face masks - at five times the retail rate - from a guy whose email address iyke14@yahoo.com.

US Authorities actually blocked the first $100,000 payment
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

If you're gonna go, go big.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: July 31, 2021, 9:35 am
Northern Raider wrote:The Qld CHO commented yesterday that its also a known side effect of Hepavin. Of course we don't get headlines when somebody suffers TTS after taking Hepavin.
… which is logical and reasonable because the whole population doesn’t need to take Heparin, and if they do presumably their medical practitioners would be deeming the risk of not using Heparin as greater than using it.
Fair point but it's still a case of risk vs benefit. Both are for treating life threatening ailments.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:
Fair point but it's still a case of risk vs benefit. Both are for treating life threatening ailments.
Yes, but again not direct comparison.

If there was a medicine called Zeparin that did the same, or better, without the clots, how much Heparin gets prescribed?

Question:
In a world of infinite vaccine supply. How many AZ shots would be given in Australia?

Being perfectly clear on my view - I think for a lot of people in Australia right now the right move is to get AZ. Based on the risk/benefit trade offs of the current and likely near future situations.

But absolutely light should be kept on the outcomes of those calls, and any updated risk info. The government should be held accountable for those decisions - not so much for the purpose of blame, but for making better decisions in future (though I’m all for throwing in blame where a poor choice was made in the face of an obvious call at the time as opposed to hindsight).
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Good news is that only 21 were infectious in the community.

Bad news is that is that it isn’t 21 at all, and is actually up to 152.
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: July 31, 2021, 10:48 am
Northern Raider wrote:
Yes, but again not direct comparison.

If there was a medicine called Zeparin that did the same, or better, without the clots, how much Heparin gets prescribed?

Question:
In a world of infinite vaccine supply. How many AZ shots would be given in Australia?

Being perfectly clear on my view - I think for a lot of people in Australia right now the right move is to get AZ. Based on the risk/benefit trade offs of the current and likely near future situations.

But absolutely light should be kept on the outcomes of those calls, and any updated risk info. The government should be held accountable for those decisions - not so much for the purpose of blame, but for making better decisions in future (though I’m all for throwing in blame where a poor choice was made in the face of an obvious call at the time as opposed to hindsight).
There are several alternatives to Heparin. Warfarin, Xarelto, even aspirin. I had a blood clot 2 years ago and was prescribed Xarelto. My mum had a blood clot in her heart a few years back. Was put on a daily dose of aspirin. Why doctors prescribed one over the other I can't say.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s tangential to the point I’m making.