The Politics Thread 2021

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

Coastalraider wrote: Nothing wrong with your stats, but I would add that 140odd million is a fair sample size to work out the average of the nations biases. Just because only 2/3rds voted doesn’t mean the remaining balance are all sensible democrats wishing for peace.
Not quite. You have a skew due to self selection. If they’re that passionate they’re probably more likely to vote (unless they’re so sold on the corruptness of the election they don’t even vote. Or possibly a lot of them are intellectually incapable of numbering boxes...).

Extrapolating out your results there are no children in the US.
Last edited by gangrenous on January 16, 2021, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Coastalraider »

That was 2/3rds of legal age voters voted this time, the most in history. I didn’t include children.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

That wasn’t my point.

The point was if your sample is not representative you should take care when extrapolating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Tomorrow is where it should all start to kick off again, lads. Get an early night, could be an interesting day leading into a huge week!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Tomorrow is where it should all start to kick off again, lads. Get an early night, could be an interesting day leading into a huge week!
Saturday or Sunday in the US?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Tomorrow is where it should all start to kick off again, lads. Get an early night, could be an interesting day leading into a huge week!
Saturday or Sunday in the US?
Saturday the 16th is when it’s all meant to start kicking off
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

The NRA is now financially bankrupt.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Olympus has fallen is on tele

Someone at Channel 10 has a sense of humour
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Is the US burning yet?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

What are you expecting to happen today? The inauguration isn’t until Wednesday 20th Jan.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The talk was of protests from 16th onwards.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Well doesn’t look like anything has gotten out of hand today.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No, probably means there won’t be anything until the 20th.

I think given they’re banning crowds, there should be ramped up law enforcement, and the most problematic will have already been having tea with the FBI my money would be on not a lot happening that’s beyond some clusters of people holding illiterate signs. But we’ll see.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

There will be 25,000 national guard in DC for the inauguration, so I wouldn’t expect much trouble there. There’ll probably be some small pockets of trouble elsewhere.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:No, probably means there won’t be anything until the 20th.

I think given they’re banning crowds, there should be ramped up law enforcement, and the most problematic will have already been having tea with the FBI my money would be on not a lot happening that’s beyond some clusters of people holding illiterate signs. But we’ll see.
Yeah, I’m leaning towards that myself too now, the closer we get to Inauguration Day.

The extremists who were involved in Jan 6 might be emboldened, but they won’t find any day in the next five anywhere near as easy now that security is ramped up to higher than Baghdad.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The majority of on-ground protagonists of this protest have probably been arrested.

What is left is just a bunch of stupid white gun -totin' hillbillies, trying to figure out what they can do now without the leadership of a President that has their back (particularly now that the FBI is serious about quashing this).

What is their motivation now? Their campaign is not really to save Trump per se (that horse has bolted), it's for the ideal of going back to the good ol days of white middle-America of the 1960s. It's not an actual thing...it's a concept.

Despite there being millions of people pining for their world to step back in time, I'm afraid the ****stick revolution was over before it really began.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

According to News.com*, there are places in the US who can't keep up with supply of guns and ammunition. Gun stores are posting signs up saying they're sold out of ammo.

Strap yourselves in everyone

*I know, News.com is a terrible source of news, but meh
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

News.com is trash. That asterisk can’t really be overlooked.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:According to News.com*, there are places in the US who can't keep up with supply of guns and ammunition. Gun stores are posting signs up saying they're sold out of ammo.

Gun sales have increased since the beginning of the pandemic. Americans preparing for the apocalypse.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 18, 2021, 8:14 am According to News.com*, there are places in the US who can't keep up with supply of guns and ammunition. Gun stores are posting signs up saying they're sold out of ammo.

Bear in mind that with power of the senate, the Dems can push through meaningful and significant gun reforms.
So that is going to be driving sales big time, people buying up guns and ammo now with the expectation that once the Dems are in, they'll push for legislation that limits the sale of certain weapons and types of ammo, as well as stricter background checks

Now that doesnt mean these newly purchased weapons wont be used in some sort of giant civil war/apocalypse scenario... but i think the threat of gun reform is probably driving sales as much as anything else
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So far this has been the worst uprising ever.

It's appearing more and more likely that either a) the insurgents are holding off now on everything until inauguration day, or 2) the sheer show of force and security finally being put out by the US Government has basically scared the so-called "patriots" back into their dark little holes for the time being.

I'm starting to lean more and more towards option ii here.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:So far this has been the worst uprising ever.

It's appearing more and more likely that either a) the insurgents are holding off now on everything until inauguration day, or 2) the sheer show of force and security finally being put out by the US Government has basically scared the so-called "patriots" back into their dark little holes for the time being.

I'd lean more to your option two. We had a few protests to deal with and there would be more police than protesters. They have an incredible amount of resources at their disposal - which is why I was so surprised at how they were so easily overrun. We used to go to a Saturday morning story time at the public library and had to go through x-ray machines and security checkpoints to enter a public library.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

That’s because people learning things is what got America into this mess! Don’t want to make access to dem book dings easy!
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Some state capitals did have small armed protests on the 17th but they were out numbered by police, saw an interview with a leader of one of the big militia groups they were staying away because they didn’t want the blame if the Proud Boys or boogaloos boys caused drama.

Less than 24hrs to go for Trumps reign, and less than 24hrs until he loses presidential protections from charges and investigations. :clap:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Botman wrote: January 18, 2021, 9:37 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 18, 2021, 8:14 am According to News.com*, there are places in the US who can't keep up with supply of guns and ammunition. Gun stores are posting signs up saying they're sold out of ammo.

Bear in mind that with power of the senate, the Dems can push through meaningful and significant gun reforms.
So that is going to be driving sales big time, people buying up guns and ammo now with the expectation that once the Dems are in, they'll push for legislation that limits the sale of certain weapons and types of ammo, as well as stricter background checks

Now that doesnt mean these newly purchased weapons wont be used in some sort of giant civil war/apocalypse scenario... but i think the threat of gun reform is probably driving sales as much as anything else
Yep gun sales always increase while Democrats are in power because of the fear mongering they’ll take their guns.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Imagine if there had been a US President who behaved in this fashion this past four years. Moving to watch.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Trumpsters last day in the White House..

Setting off the fire alarms and walking out in his undies would be a fitting end.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: January 20, 2021, 10:41 am Trumpsters last day in the White House..

Setting off the fire alarms and walking out in his undies would be a fitting end.
Personally I'd prefer it if he left the building, climbed into a cannon and got fired directly into the sun, but each to their own.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: January 19, 2021, 10:11 am So far this has been the worst uprising ever.

Most of these idiots have probably realised they are going to jail if they do anything stupid and then get identified.

No chance of the President covering their **** either, not that Trump would have done that anyway. He didn't care if they caught and died of COVID during his ridiculous campaign rallies.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Papa’s made the BetootaImage
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

By the time we all wake up tomorrow, the Trump era will be over.

I may even visit in the next few years, if their civil unrest dies out and the pandemic gets vaccinated to death.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sterlk wrote:By the time we all wake up tomorrow, the Trump era will be over.

I may even visit in the next few years, if their civil unrest dies out and the pandemic gets vaccinated to death.
Sadly, I don’t think the “Trump era” has finished at all and it’s possibly only just begun

Thank god his first term is almost over though
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Orange Buffoon has left the Whitehouse.

Thank Christ that chapter is over.