The Politics Thread 2021

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: May 10, 2021, 8:35 amwe just happen to be small enough that China can flex their muscles and suspend all trade with us without it doing much to their economy yet it’s brutal for ours.
Turnbull made a similar point from a military point of view in his bio. The US were pushing us to join them in 'freedom of navigation' exercises through the South China Sea. He refused on the grounds that while China would not initiate conflict with the US by ramming or attacking one of their ships, they might just see Australia as small enough to give it a go.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Sterlk wrote: April 22, 2021, 8:42 pm Within the month, Biden will be thrown out of office and Trump will be rightfully reinstated. You'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE! :lol:

Wonder how Qanon is going these days...
Well since you asked, apparently if Trump does get arrested and goes to gaol it’s all part of the plan as being wrongfully arrested will just make him more powerful.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So Barnaby is the acting PM huh? **** this ****
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I'm interested to see how this affects the Government's popularity - he's a controversial figure.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

If you didn’t already intensely dislike this government I doubt Barnaby changes a lot.

But yeah. What **** diabolical scenes that this clown is back.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 21, 2021, 6:54 pm If you didn’t already intensely dislike this government I doubt Barnaby changes a lot.

But yeah. What **** diabolical scenes that this clown is back.
I think that's probably right
People who like ScoMo and this government are unlikely to be moved by Barnaby being back

I think this botched roll out of the vaccine is probably the best foot hole the ALP have. They should be hammering this in the leadup to the next election.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Should be hammering mr “I don’t hold a hose” over 2019 as well. Less effective because voters have short memories, but the bushfires epitomised his “leadership” - completely reactionary with no planning and forethought. Only acting after the fact when people scream for it.

Looks like one of the reasons Barnaby is back is to rein in all this talk of carbon neutral by 2050 as well. What a bunch of asterisks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: June 21, 2021, 7:42 pm Should be hammering mr “I don’t hold a hose” over 2019 as well. Less effective because voters have short memories, but the bushfires epitomised his “leadership” - completely reactionary with no planning and forethought. Only acting after the fact when people scream for it.

Looks like one of the reasons Barnaby is back is to rein in all this talk of carbon neutral by 2050 as well. What a bunch of asterisks.
Yeah the timing of that bushfire fiasco was quite advantageous for ScoMo
He wouldnt have a **** prayer of re-election had that been an election year. Not only the tangiable decision making but so many awful viral moments for him with firey's refusing to shake his hand and telling him to get ****.
Just an absolute diaster, but yeah you're not wrong about short term memories with voters.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The ALP will find a way to **** it up again

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Maybe Gladys could run Federal LNP as well as State. Even stretched across both jobs at once I’d be confident we’d get a better outcome than ScoMo and Barnaby.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think the way Australia has coped with COVID will see the LNP comfortably re-elected again, to be perfectly Frank.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:I think the way Australia has coped with COVID will see the LNP comfortably re-elected again, to be perfectly Frank.
Very little of that has to do with the Feds. In fact the two responsibilities that the Feds have - quarantine and vaccination - they've made a meal of or delegated to the states. I guess that the average plonker won't realise that though.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I think the way Australia has coped with COVID will see the LNP comfortably re-elected again, to be perfectly Frank.
Very little of that has to do with the Feds. In fact the two responsibilities that the Feds have - quarantine and vaccination - they've made a meal of or delegated to the states. I guess that the average plonker won't realise that though.
No, cause the average plonker reads the telecrap who will plaster "Our great COVID success story" and "Australia needs ScoMo/Dutton/Frydenberg/Whoever Rupert appoints PM" before the next election

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
I don’t recall saying any of it had to do with the feds.

I’m telling you how I think the next election will go.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
No, cause the average plonker reads the telecrap who will plaster "Our great COVID success story" and "Australia needs ScoMo/Dutton/Frydenberg/Whoever Rupert appoints PM" before the next election

And once again left-leaning voters will blame the absolute failings of the Australian Labor Party/Greens Alliance to provide an alternative and competent government on the big bad “Murdoch media” just as Timmy has done here.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I think that the next election will be a minority government either way. Notionally it is 75-69 as we speak.

In WA there appears to be a certain level of resentment towards the feds. Stirling, Hasluck and Swan may switch to the ALP. Pearce will not be re-electing an alleged rapist on a 5% margin.

In QLD: Flynn, Leichardt, Longman, Herbert will all be in danger for the LNP.

The LNP will not be picking up seats in VIC and may even lose a seat or two.

In SA I think they will lose Boothby.

In TAS they will lose Braddon and maybe Bass.

ACT and NT will remain unchanged.

Now, in saying that, I fully expect the ALP to lose some seats in NSW, and offset some of the losses above. I am thinking the 3 Hunter seats in particular are in big danger. The agitation from Fitzgibbon and Meryl Swanson probably betrays that their internal polling shows they are in trouble.

I reckon we could be looking at a 2010-type election result.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-28/ ... /100250426

How many more of these corrupt programs were there?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Do we think there are any federal political implications for these winter COVID woes?

To be fair there is probably enough time for the LNP to get a critical mass of people populated before any election if it is in March/May next year.

Not much time to take a victory lap, but probably enough time to get it done.
Up The Milk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The sydney delta variant.

If sydney/nsw voters identify palaczuk with the federal labor party - the ALP is going to lose a lot more seats in NSW.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: July 16, 2021, 12:17 pm The sydney delta variant.

If sydney/nsw voters identify palaczuk with the federal labor party - the ALP is going to lose a lot more seats in NSW.
Not to say that they won't lose seats in NSW (I think they will, especially in the Hunter), but it won't be because of a comment from Palazcuk.

And if that is enough to change NSW peoples voting intentions, then I would be trembling if I was the LNP in analysing their VIC seats in light of federal and state LNP comments about Victoria during last years lockdown.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:The sydney delta variant.

That would be the weakest and stupidest reason for someone to vote for this **** government.

But people. So you could be right.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Do we think there are any federal political implications for these winter COVID woes?

To be fair there is probably enough time for the LNP to get a critical mass of people populated before any election if it is in March/May next year.

Well I for one will be voting against these Muppets. Honestly they had two jobs and completely **** ed them both. Absolute leadership vacuum.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote:Do we think there are any federal political implications for these winter COVID woes?

Well I for one will be voting against these Muppets. Honestly they had two jobs and completely **** ed them both. Absolute leadership vacuum.
I can't possibly vote LNP next time round...but did I really hear Albanese advocating a 2023 border opening yesterday?

Can we have someone with a plan, please?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: July 16, 2021, 7:28 pm
papabear wrote:The sydney delta variant.

That would be the weakest and stupidest reason for someone to vote for this **** government.

But people. So you could be right.
mate if you cant see that those sort of trump like comments are just mean and do nothing but piss people off - then... thats on you chief.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m sorry, if you base your decision on who the best federal government is, on a throwaway stupid comment from the state government is in another state, then I reckon you deserve a serve.

I don’t really think masses of voters tune into my ramblings in the politics thread either. So I doubt I’m contributing a lot to the Trump effect in the grand scheme of things.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Thoughts on the stage 3 tax cuts?

Progressive ideological purists will probably be furious.

However I think the LNP strategists will be despairing that a key attack line will have been taken away.
Up The Milk
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: July 27, 2021, 8:58 pm I’m sorry, if you base your decision on who the best federal government is, on a throwaway stupid comment from the state government is in another state, then I reckon you deserve a serve.

I don’t really think masses of voters tune into my ramblings in the politics thread either. So I doubt I’m contributing a lot to the Trump effect in the grand scheme of things.
1 - I do not base my decision on a stupid throw away comment from the state government in another state - but as noted in my original post where I said "if people do" it will cost labor NSW votes.
2 - I also disagree that it was a throw away comment - I think she thought about it, just like trump thought about his equivalent. Trying to garner nationalistic (in this case state) support at the cost of being a decent human.
3 - I don't think you are contributing to the trump effect and agree with your commentary regarding your reach and note it applies to mine as well.
4 - Simply put, whichever party you are lowering yourself to mean commentary, class warfare, rudeness, violence is never going to win you votes and tbh not what we expect of elected officials.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 28, 2021, 10:48 am Thoughts on the stage 3 tax cuts?

Progressive ideological purists will probably be furious.

However I think the LNP strategists will be despairing that a key attack line will have been taken away.
I agree with flattening the personal income tax system. All the current system does is increase compliance and tax planning costs.

I think our corporate is too low and personal rate is too high.

I am yet to meet someone who runs (or is highly involved) a small- medium size business who share a purist progressive ideology or whom agrees with such a punitive income tax system and comparatively large differential between certain tax brackets and the company tax rates.

And I pay a lot of both.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:
gangrenous wrote: July 27, 2021, 8:58 pm I’m sorry, if you base your decision on who the best federal government is, on a throwaway stupid comment from the state government is in another state, then I reckon you deserve a serve.

1 - I do not base my decision on a stupid throw away comment from the state government in another state - but as noted in my original post where I said "if people do" it will cost labor NSW votes.
2 - I also disagree that it was a throw away comment - I think she thought about it, just like trump thought about his equivalent. Trying to garner nationalistic (in this case state) support at the cost of being a decent human.
3 - I don't think you are contributing to the trump effect and agree with your commentary regarding your reach and note it applies to mine as well.
4 - Simply put, whichever party you are lowering yourself to mean commentary, class warfare, rudeness, violence is never going to win you votes and tbh not what we expect of elected officials.
1. Understood - see my first response. I’m using “you” in the general sense, not speaking of you specifically.
2. In the grand scheme of things in the decision of who should govern federally it counts for literally 0. It’s a factor in whether Queenslanders want her back again or not. It’s not even in the same ballpark as being in Hawaii while your country burns after you ignored the warnings.
3. Image
4. I think mean commentary, rudeness worked pretty well for some politicians in recent history. It shouldn’t, and it isn’t what I expect of them.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Parliament time live..

Opposition leader AA- The Prime Minister had two jobs this year and has failed to do both.
ScoMo- Mr Speaker, anyone who thinks the Prime Minister only has two jobs will NEVER have this job.

GOLD !!

That shut AA up real quick.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

-PJ- wrote: August 3, 2021, 2:06 pm Parliament time live..

Opposition leader AA- The Prime Minister had two jobs this year and has failed to do both.
ScoMo- Mr Speaker, anyone who thinks the Prime Minister only has two jobs will NEVER have this job.

GOLD !!

Yeah that'll learn him real good.

Doubt he will ever be able to recover from that zinger.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

-PJ- wrote: August 3, 2021, 2:06 pm Parliament time live..

GOLD !!

Looks like he managed to recover.

Nailed Morrison to the wall about his “Not a Race” comments.
Up The Milk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I love parliament “live”.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Why, it's just politicians giving scripted answers to scripted questions

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

So Hillsong founder Brian Houston has been charged with concealing offences..

You'll all be totally shocked to know he is currently overseas after recently being granted an exemption to travel.....