The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Television Thread

Post by greeneyed »

What a couple of bombshell nights of Love Island.

Aaron, model, reduced to a flood of tears two nights in a row comes up with the classic line, after his best friend is dumped from the “island”: “I hate crying… it wrecks my skin. It’s bad for your skin, rubbing and irritations”.

His partner consoles him: “But you know if you store it, you can get fat. Because the cortisol levels rise in your body.”

*Aaron stops crying.

This is brilliant television! No one could write that. No one.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And even better ending to tonight’s episode.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

You're a weird cat, GE...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2021, 10:23 pm Love Island tonight… outstanding.

Succession tonight… best show on the planet by some distance. What an opening for season three.
My wife watches Succession.

As well done as it is I have no desire to spend my time with rich scumbags. There are enough in the real world.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The other reality shows of choice at the moment: Below Deck and Below Deck Med. For a long time have been wondering what on earth was happening. But absolutely hooked now. I had to binge all the previous series that I could. Travel, beautiful scenery, luxury boats, mixed with a whole lot of rich, often drunk people behaving badly, and poor crew, often drunk, behaving badly or trying to get it on. Brilliant combination.

Then property renovation, building, buying and selling shows. Can't go wrong there either.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:The other reality shows of choice at the moment: Below Deck and Below Deck Med. For a long time have been wondering what on earth was happening. But absolutely hooked now. I had to binge all the previous series that I could. Travel, beautiful scenery, luxury boats, mixed with a whole lot of rich, often drunk people behaving badly, and poor crew, often drunk, behaving badly or trying to get it on. Brilliant combination.

Then property renovation, building, buying and selling shows. Can't go wrong there either.
You getting ideas for what to do on your Yacht GE?

So your perfect show would be about drunk renovators building and selling yachts, all while trying to find love and behaving badly
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: November 18, 2021, 5:54 pm
greeneyed wrote:The other reality shows of choice at the moment: Below Deck and Below Deck Med. For a long time have been wondering what on earth was happening. But absolutely hooked now. I had to binge all the previous series that I could. Travel, beautiful scenery, luxury boats, mixed with a whole lot of rich, often drunk people behaving badly, and poor crew, often drunk, behaving badly or trying to get it on. Brilliant combination.

You getting ideas for what to do on your Yacht GE?

So your perfect show would be about drunk renovators building and selling yachts, all while trying to find love and behaving badly
What a great show it would be!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now for the Love Island Australia final!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So that was the expected result. The US version of this show is a pale imitation, the narration being the big drawback, and the lack of irony. Americans are not good at self deprecation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished Season 1 of Yellowstone. I’m struggling to find the motivation to watch Season 2. I’m finding the death count a bit on the crazy side. The characters are pretty badly written, especially the daughter. Hoping it gets better
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watched "Love on the spectrum" today on Netflix. It's a caring and uplifting series, with the people involved lovely, charming, involving, at times funny, and real. If you get through it without shedding a tear, you're not a human being.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm just catching up on Sex Education S1-3. Pretty damn good.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Azza wrote:I'm just catching up on Sex Education S1-3. Pretty damn good.
I’m glad you called out S1-3, otherwise it would have made for some awkward conversations

Nickman's love of NSW
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Predictable.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I loved S1 and 2, struggling through the start of 3.

Could just be me with limited time at the moment not watching in solid chunks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We got really into that show for a while and stalled out toward the end of season 2, still on our list to come back to and finish off though.
Might be one of those shows we never get back to though.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: December 12, 2021, 10:33 pm Watched "Love on the spectrum" today on Netflix. It's a caring and uplifting series, with the people involved lovely, charming, involving, at times funny, and real. If you get through it without shedding a tear, you're not a human being.
Yeah we're watching it now, we loved season 1, pumped to have a season 2.
My wife does a lot of work with kids on the spectrum space, that's her primarily specialality, so it's tailor made for us. Great heart warming show.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Anyone else watching Get Back, the Beatles doco on Disney Plus? If not, definitely recommend.

It focused on them working on putting together 14 songs in 12 days for their last ever concert. It’s amazing to watch the process. Highlight has been watching McCartney working on Get Back. From basically working on the tube himself out of anger, to then seeing it come together and toying with the lyrics is incredible.

Also good watching them just sit around and chatting like they aren’t the greatest band of their generation is pretty cool.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: December 14, 2021, 6:21 pm Anyone else watching Get Back, the Beatles doco on Disney Plus? If not, definitely recommend.

It focused on them working on putting together 14 songs in 12 days for their last ever concert. It’s amazing to watch the process. Highlight has been watching McCartney working on Get Back. From basically working on the tube himself out of anger, to then seeing it come together and toying with the lyrics is incredible.

Also good watching them just sit around and chatting like they aren’t the greatest band of their generation is pretty cool.
Just finished the series. Wow what insight. I think even non-Beatles fans could appreciate this. It really gives you a look behind the curtain at the creative process of making an album. It's 8hrs over 3 eps. Apparently there was 16hrs of footage they went through, which I could have easily watched.

Can not get over how great George was. Im a touch biaised, because I tend to prefer the Beatles songs written by him. You could really sense in this series how no matter how great a songwriter George was, when you're in a band with Lennon and McCartney, you're always going to be 3rd best.

Also got a lot of respect for Ringo now. These guys are all fighting and arguing, and he's just sitting there, happy to be a part of it and being the calming influence the group needed

Nickman's love of NSW
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I’m half way through the second episode, I’m loving it. Not so much my wife, she’s a Beatles fan but wants the 90 minute version, 6 hours watching the blokes sit around in a studio just ain’t her cuppa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Brewdle wrote:I’m half way through the second episode, I’m loving it. Not so much my wife, she’s a Beatles fan but wants the 90 minute version, 6 hours watching the blokes sit around in a studio just ain’t her cuppa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I think they might have been better off doing 4x 2hrs than what they did. Peter Jackson loves an epic though.

But yeah, I could happily watch the whole 16hrs. That’s basically one season if they chunked it into 1hr slices

Nickman's love of NSW
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

Wow. Dopesick is extremely high quality TV. Well acted, intense and the true story of a sad reality.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Watched the first ep of Book of Boba Fett last week and it was good but nothing special
Ep 2 was one of my favourite episodes of television ive seen. Amazing stuff
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watched the first two seasons of the new adaptation of All Creatures Great and Small on BritBox. I’m old enough to remember the last TV adaptation and loved it… and this is no different. Wonderfully done. Two seasons of six episodes and two Christmas specials. Seven day free trial for BritBox…
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

never been a huge fan of DCEU... i like marvel because the characters are all flawed, where as the most of the main DC characters dont really have the depth that marvel characters do
but i've still watched most the DCEU stuff, including suicide squad which is one of the better bits of work out of DC... So i was curious about the new series Peacemaker and watched the first three eps today... it's really quite fun! Im excited for the next ep. Worth a look for any fan of super hero projects
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:never been a huge fan of DCEU... i like marvel because the characters are all flawed, where as the most of the main DC characters dont really have the depth that marvel characters do
but i've still watched most the DCEU stuff, including suicide squad which is one of the better bits of work out of DC... So i was curious about the new series Peacemaker and watched the first three eps today... it's really quite fun! Im excited for the next ep. Worth a look for any fan of super hero projects
I’m with you. With the exception of Batman, I always found DC to be vanilla and one dimensional.

I saw the ads to Peacemaker and was avoiding it, thinking it looked a bit Fox 8ish. But if you like it I’ll definitely give it a go.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Comic book characters are… comic book characters. Movies and TV shows based on comic books are generally full of comic book characters. They’re rubbish.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

The White Lotus is another winner from HBO
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:Comic book characters are… comic book characters. Movies and TV shows based on comic books are generally full of comic book characters. They’re rubbish.
The latest TV shows really aren’t.

The Marvel shows made post End Game are doing great at showing how each hero is dealing with PTSD after a stopping a worldwide threats, and the coping with the sacrifices made. Wandavision especially.

If you’re up for it, I’d suggest you give Punisher Season 1 a watch, then watch Daredevil S1 and S2. Punisher Season 2 is great, but you don’t really need to see it for the point I’m trying to make. Minimal spoilers, but there’s a scene between these 2 characters in DD S2 that is amazing. These 2 people, both with similar troubled pasts, debating their views on justice and which way is right. It’s one of my favourite scenes in television.

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: January 10, 2022, 8:30 pm Watched the first ep of Book of Boba Fett last week and it was good but nothing special
After 3 episodes I'm finding it a bit of a drag. The nostalgia factor only goes so far before it becomes jaded. As the series relies more in plot and characters the lack of inspiration is showing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 16, 2022, 10:55 am
Botman wrote: January 10, 2022, 8:30 pm Watched the first ep of Book of Boba Fett last week and it was good but nothing special
After 3 episodes I'm finding it a bit of a drag. The nostalgia factor only goes so far before it becomes jaded. As the series relies more in plot and characters the lack of inspiration is showing.
Im still very into it, and really enjoying though ep3 i thought was... tbh, pretty bad. The mos vesper power rangers didnt work at all for me... im hoping it's just a bad ep in a good show but i can see where why you'd be feeling this way.

Coming off Ep2 which was incredible to this was a big jolt thud back to earth
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 15, 2022, 10:46 pm Comic book characters are… comic book characters. Movies and TV shows based on comic books are generally full of comic book characters. They’re rubbish.
Unreal post from a guy live recapping Love Island to himself :lol:
As an unabashed lover of reality TV, im here to tell you brother, we dont get to turn our noses up at other genres and call them rubbish.
You can't bath in **** and tell someone else they stink.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 15, 2022, 10:46 pm Comic book characters are… comic book characters. Movies and TV shows based on comic books are generally full of comic book characters. They’re rubbish.
Unreal post from a guy live recapping Love Island to himself Image
As an unabashed lover of reality TV, im here to tell you brother, we dont get to turn our noses up at other genres and call them rubbish.
You can't bath in **** and tell someone else they stink.
But, but but ... the pretty blonde with long lashes and plastic ... well everything ... said she preferred water instead of h2o because "she was concerned about what goes into her body" ... as she flirtatiously looks across at her partner.

It's amazing television I tell ya.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 16, 2022, 2:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 16, 2022, 10:55 am
Im still very into it, and really enjoying though ep3 i thought was... tbh, pretty bad. The mos vesper power rangers didnt work at all for me... im hoping it's just a bad ep in a good show but i can see where why you'd be feeling this way.

Coming off Ep2 which was incredible to this was a big jolt thud back to earth
Yep, have to see where it goes from here. Ep1 was more of a teaser than anything. Ep2 stepped it up a notch and got me keen. Ep3 left me very underwhelmed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Have watched ep4 of Boba Fett. Much better than ep3 and has won me back to a degree. Had a lot more of the flashback sequences this time and that story arc has a better feel to it. Still not convinced by Boba Fett playing Don Corleone yet.