The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The Television Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Saw the first episode of The Haunting of Hill House. Nothing like I expected when I decided not to watch it when it first came out. It’s very good.
Yeah I think if you enjoyed Bly Manor, you’ll like Hill House. It’s the same production crew who did both

I’m keen to see which one you prefer now!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Sid »

I hadn't realised Flora from HoBM is also the voiceover for Peppa Pig

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sid wrote:I hadn't realised Flora from HoBM is also the voiceover for Peppa Pig

Yeah once you realise that, you can’t unhear her
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 21, 2020, 5:15 pm
greeneyed wrote:Saw the first episode of The Haunting of Hill House. Nothing like I expected when I decided not to watch it when it first came out. It’s very good.
Yeah I think if you enjoyed Bly Manor, you’ll like Hill House. It’s the same production crew who did both

I’m keen to see which one you prefer now!
I did like it, and I think it was superior to Bly Manor. I did find it harder to watch at stretch, because it was a bit more disturbing. I still don't understand who the tall man with the hat is though!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The tall guy who haunted the house looking for his bowler hat? I think from memory he was a guy who went insane and bricked himself in the basement?

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 28, 2020, 9:05 pm The tall guy who haunted the house looking for his bowler hat? I think from memory he was a guy who went insane and bricked himself in the basement?
Maybe. Must have missed that bit.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Anyone watching SAS Australia? I'm catching up on 7 Plus today... and it is actually pretty good.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Are we allowed to talk about good TV shows in this thread anymore or do you guys just watch utter ****?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fergus watches his fair share of crap..

Like love island.. what the hell man

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Love island ?

Fair go Fergus.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

That’s utterly ridiculous
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

What series are you watching The Nickman?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

We've almost finished watching Season 4 of Man in the High Castle, it's absolutely amazing.

It's set in an alternate reality where the Germans and Japanese won World War II, and America is split into three states: the Pacific States (the western edge of America, owned by the Japanese), the Neutral Zone (a lawless state in the middle of the country) and the Nazi Reich (the eastern side of America, with New York as the Nazi capital).

It's really, REALLY good.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not watching Love Island anymore. I've run out of episodes.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:We've almost finished watching Season 4 of Man in the High Castle, it's absolutely amazing.

It's set in an alternate reality where the Germans and Japanese won World War II, and America is split into three states: the Pacific States (the western edge of America, owned by the Japanese), the Neutral Zone (a lawless state in the middle of the country) and the Nazi Reich (the eastern side of America, with New York as the Nazi capital).

I think I've got the book at home somewhere and wanted to watch this. Is it on Netflix?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:We've almost finished watching Season 4 of Man in the High Castle, it's absolutely amazing.

I think I've got the book at home somewhere and wanted to watch this. Is it on Netflix?

Amazon Prime.

I didn't realise that Season 4 was out. Final season apparently. Good show
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 29, 2020, 5:14 pm
gergreg wrote:

Amazon Prime.

I didn't realise that Season 4 was out. Final season apparently. Good show
It's a GREAT show, but thanks for spoiling that we won't get another season... jerk.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

That actually sounds like quite a good show! Shame it's not on Nutflicks

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I'm a few episodes into DARK, wouldn't say I'm hooked on it yet

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: October 29, 2020, 6:06 pm

It's absolutely brilliant. And why aren't you on Prime? We've got Netflix, Stan AND Amazon Prime and it's still less than Foxtel used to be.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:

It's a Phillip k Dick book. Excellent sci-fi writer. He also wrote the bladerunner book (do androids dream of electric sheep).

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote:
Sid wrote: October 29, 2020, 6:06 pm

It's absolutely brilliant. And why aren't you on Prime? We've got Netflix, Stan AND Amazon Prime and it's still less than Foxtel used to be.
I haven’t watched it yet, but I saw the trailer and it’s in my Watchlist.

Definitely recommend Amazon Prime. It has some good shows on there. Got it for The Boys, stayed for everything else

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I axed Prime. The worst value of all the streaming services by a long way, even though it’s the cheapest. When they tried to charge me a rental fee to watch a movie, after watching nothing for a couple of months, that was the end of them for me. Very limited catalogue.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:I axed Prime. The worst value of all the streaming services by a long way, even though it’s the cheapest. When they tried to charge me a rental fee to watch a movie, after watching nothing for a couple of months, that was the end of them for me. Very limited catalogue.
Yeah I’ll give you that. I don’t like how they try to charge you to a rental fee, when you’re already paying them for streaming

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sid wrote:I'm a few episodes into DARK, wouldn't say I'm hooked on it yet
Same here Sid. Couple of episodes in and I’ve heard good things, but finding it hard to bring myself back and keep going.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gangrenous wrote:
Same here Sid. Couple of episodes in and I’ve heard good things, but finding it hard to bring myself back and keep going.
Do yourselves a favour and push through. I get the same way, and I’m glad I saw it through.

There are times where you’ll find it drags, that you’ll have no idea what’s going on, and that you’re questioning all of your life choices, but there’s a point where it all clicks and you’ll be glad you persevered

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix. Fantastic show. Surely one of the best of the year.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have watched the first three episodes of season four of The Crown. Gillian Anderson is quite miscast as Margaret Thatcher. Possibly the worst performance of the series so far. She is a caricature, so far. Hopefully she develops into it. One of the very best TV show nevertheless.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 29, 2020, 9:04 pm
gangrenous wrote:
Do yourselves a favour and push through. I get the same way, and I’m glad I saw it through.

There are times where you’ll find it drags, that you’ll have no idea what’s going on, and that you’re questioning all of your life choices, but there’s a point where it all clicks and you’ll be glad you persevered
Agreed with Fui, it’s worth persisting.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2020, 5:46 pm Just finished The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix. Fantastic show. Surely one of the best of the year.
We just started it last night, 3 eps in. Loving it so far.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Best of the year is a stretch, but considering the appalling quality available right now....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Looking forward to this season of The Amazing Race Australia

“Teams will have to fly from Thailand to Sydney. From there, they will have to take a COVID test and self isolate in a Hotel for 14 Days.
Once isolated, teams will face a Roadblock where only 1 team member can perform a task, due to social distancing.
On completion of this task, teams must then fly to Melbourne and self-isolate again for 14 days.
Once isolated, teams must make their way to the next pit stop, where one team may be infected.”

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have finished Season 4 of The Crown. No doubt, there are a lot of things in this show that are completely fictional... with reference to historical events. It has made for great television at times. It's has amazing production values.

Gillian Anderson, sadly, was mostly poor as Margaret Thatcher in this season... when previous actors have been outstanding in their roles of Prime Minister of the day. She never quite got over the impersonation phase, and it wasn't a good one. She should have done less impersonation and more genuine living of the role. She almost got there at times. Part of the problem for The Crown is that the closer it gets to modern times, the more we all remember the events personally. And we're probably harsher critics as a result.

This season was a reminder of how poorly Princess Diana was treated. No wonder the friends of Prince Charles are coming out of the woodwork to defend the gormless bloke. And he expects to be King of Australia (as a very low order of priority - it should be a low priority for us too). No doubt, Diana was not blameless. But she was a very young, impressionable woman, dragged into a horrible facade. Ultimately, the awful treatment she received from "the system" resulted in a premature death. The whole thing was very sad. Hopefully, her children can find a better way. I'm not sure either can.

The portrayal of Bob Hawke was embarrassing (for the show). The things "he" "said" in the show to Prince Charles were ridiculous. Not even Bob would have said that! But I guess that does emphasise that a lot of things in the show are done for dramatic effect and to synthesise a "feeling" of the time, or a viewpoint.

In any case, it has been a great show. I think there is one more season planned. Look forward to it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have started watching “Suits”. It’s no Boston Legal, but it’s a fun show.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If you make it past season 7 you've done well

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk