The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

The Television Thread

Post by greeneyed »

I have been watching The Tudors on Showcase on Foxtel... early life of Henry VIII and it is a fantastic show. It is no stuffy BBC drama... it is a very glossy, slick, fast paced show full of political intrigues and lots more. Great actors as well. Fantastic show.

http://www.sho.com/site/tudors/home.do
Um Jammer Lammy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: David Milne

Re: The Tudors

Post by Um Jammer Lammy »

The Tudors is a great show.

I think season 2 just started here last week, but I was unable to see it.

The girl who plays Anne Boleyn is a honey. :opps

Sam Neil is quality.
Golden Boogs 2006: McLinden Award
Golden Boogs 2007: Personality of the Year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Tudors

Post by greeneyed »

We have yet to see Season 2. Will be starting soon though. I've been watching repeats of Season 1 and catching up on what I've missed.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Movie and TV chat

Post by Michael »

Sterlk wrote:It appears Buc Nasty may beat me for the Newbie award :hmmm

I may have to inject him with etorphine hydrochloride and keep him somewhere until the awards are over. :lol:
That is the single creepiest thing anyone has ever posted on this forum. Are you Joseph Mengele in disguise?
Sterlk
David Furner

Movie and Sitcom Chat

Post by Sterlk »

Michael wrote:

I may have to inject him with etorphine hydrochloride and keep him somewhere until the awards are over. :lol:
That is the single creepiest thing anyone has ever posted on this forum. Are you Joseph Mengele in disguise?
I let out a laugh of self-satisfaction after reading that... :cool:

The only reason I know the name of that drug is because Dexter uses it... you've all seen that show right? I would've thought somebody would've got that reference.

Oh well :lol:
Michael
Mal Meninga

Re: Golden Boogs 2008 - Nominations

Post by Michael »

Sterlk wrote:
Michael wrote:

The only reason I know the name of that drug is because Dexter uses it... you've all seen that show right? I would've thought somebody would've got that reference.

Yes, I have seen both seasons of Dexter, I got the reference. But still, dude...creepy. :doubt:
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Sterlk wrote:
Michael wrote:

I don't think I have watched anything in the past few months that wasn't called Arrested Development.

If you had referenced the Blue Man Group, I would've been all over it.
#BoneMcCrone
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

equally had you referenced Seinfeld, Just Shoot Me or Two Guys and a Girl, id have been all over it
such a shame the last two i mentioned didnt take off, hilarious shows
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Raider_69 wrote:equally had you referenced Seinfeld, Just Shoot Me or Two Guys and a Girl, id have been all over it
I'm like Buc at the moment. I have watched all three seasons of Arrested Development at least once in the last two weeks. Getting sick this week just gave me a chance to watch Season 1 all over again.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Raider_69 wrote:equally had you referenced Seinfeld, Just Shoot Me or Two Guys and a Girl, id have been all over it
:hmmm ... I wouldn't go advertising any affinity for those latter two programs :thumbsdown

Seinfeld is easily the best TV show ever though.

TBH the only sitcoms that have followed it that can be considered truly great are the aforementioned Arrested Development, and the pseudo-sequel to Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiasm.
#BoneMcCrone
1-eyedgreen
Chris O'Sullivan
Location: Eating a steady diet of Government cheese, living in a van down by the river.

Post by 1-eyedgreen »

Buc Nasty wrote:
:hmmm ... I wouldn't go advertising any affinity for those latter two programs :thumbsdown

TBH the only sitcoms that have followed it that can be considered truly great are the aforementioned Arrested Development, and the pseudo-sequel to Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiasm.
I freakin love Arrested Development but I don't get Curb your Enthusiasm, all they do is argue and yell at each other?

Denis Leary's Rescue Me has been getting a workout at my place of late though.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my *****. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

1-eyedgreen wrote:
Buc Nasty wrote:

I freakin love Arrested Development but I don't get Curb your Enthusiasm, all they do is argue and yell at each other?

Denis Leary is nothin' but a peasant man's Bill Hicks.
#BoneMcCrone
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Buccy you must be watching different versions of those shows to me
Just Shoot Me, ill admit is more stupid humour then anything else but there are some cracking lines to come out of that show, some hilarious stuff in its first few seasons

Mean while Ryan Reynolds is just the ****, there is one man and one man alone who could have save blade 3 and it was him and he did it superbly, granted it was still pretty **** but he saved it from being a total balls up, he's absolutely hilarious in 2 guys and a girl, that along with Becker are probably my two favourite sitcoms of all time
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Raider_69 wrote:Buccy you must be watching different versions of those shows to me
Just Shoot Me, ill admit is more stupid humour then anything else but there are some cracking lines to come out of that show, some hilarious stuff in its first few seasons

Mean while Ryan Reynolds is just the ****, there is one man and one man alone who could have save blade 3 and it was him and he did it superbly, granted it was still pretty **** but he saved it from being a total balls up, he's absolutely hilarious in 2 guys and a girl, that along with Becker are probably my two favourite sitcoms of all time
I'm a film major obsessed with Kubrick, Scorsese, Cagney, Brando etc.

Ryan Reynolds has no place in my world.
#BoneMcCrone
1-eyedgreen
Chris O'Sullivan
Location: Eating a steady diet of Government cheese, living in a van down by the river.

Post by 1-eyedgreen »

Buc Nasty wrote:
1-eyedgreen wrote:
Buc Nasty wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of Leary's stand up, but from what i've seen of Bill Hicks (and i'll admit it's not a heap) he seems, like most loud mouth Americans, more intersested in telling you what to think and the way things are than making you laugh.

IMO political humour is the lowest of the low.

However i'm not sure if you're familiar with Rescue Me or not but while it is quite funny it's a drama and well worth checking out if you haven't already done so.
I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my *****. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

1-eyedgreen wrote:
Buc Nasty wrote:
1-eyedgreen wrote:
Buc Nasty wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of Leary's stand up, but from what i've seen of Bill Hicks (and i'll admit it's not a heap) he seems, like most loud mouth Americans, more intersested in telling you what to think and the way things are than making you laugh.

IMO political humour is the lowest of the low.

However i'm not sure if you're familiar with Rescue Me or not but while it is quite funny it's a drama and well worth checking out if you haven't already done so.
I'll admit Hicks could come off a little pretentious if you are an apolitical individual, but if you are already politically minded (and staunchly anti-Republican like myself) then Bill Hicks is nothing short of one of the most brilliant performers of the past century (and I say this with no sense of exaggeration).

Leary on the other hand, while being undeniably funny lacks the originality and flat out balls of Hicks.

There's an old joke among comedians. It goes something like this...

Q- 'Why is Bill Hicks dead and Denis Leary has his own TV show?'

A- 'Coz theres no cure for cancer'
#BoneMcCrone
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Buc Nasty wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:Buccy you must be watching different versions of those shows to me

I'm a film major obsessed with Kubrick, Scorsese, Cagney, Brando etc.

Ryan Reynolds has no place in my world.
dude, you're missing his magic! :lol:
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Ryan Reynolds = :thumbsup

2 guys and a girl and a pizza place = :thumbsup :thumbsup
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Finally! Someone who understands!!! :clap:
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Post by The Naked Zombie »

Ryan Reynolds rocks - although everything he's been in since Two Guys... has been rubbish. Granted, I don't think I've seen anything else he's been in, but I assume it's trash. Good bloke though.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Waiting was decent.
Van Wilder was hilarious

Smoking Aces was alright for a popcorn flick

the rest was pretty much trash
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Post by The Naked Zombie »

Nobody can top Corey Feldman though, the man's a genius. Yeah, most of his movies were made in a drug-crazed stupour but sue me, the bloke has more charisma in one needle-marked arm than the rest of the Hollywood hotshots put together.
Rick James
Jason Croker

Re: Movie and Sitcom Chat

Post by Rick James »

lawl you guys got splitsed

Anyways best show atm is The Mighty Boosh

SO GOOD!
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Watched season 1 of Dexter last week and got season 2 today, I feel a sicky comming on.

The best is still Entourage tho! why wont they just bring out the next season already
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Campo for PM wrote:Watched season 1 of Dexter last week and got season 2 today, I feel a sicky comming on.

The best is still Entourage tho! why wont they just bring out the next season already
You know that Season 3 of Dexter has just been released overseas? :D

For the record, the greatest TV show ever (aside from Arrested Development) is Deadwood. Period.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Michael wrote:
Campo for PM wrote:Watched season 1 of Dexter last week and got season 2 today, I feel a sicky comming on.

You know that Season 3 of Dexter has just been released overseas? :D

For the record, the greatest TV show ever (aside from Arrested Development) is Deadwood. Period.
I have never watched Deadwood...... :shock:
Rick James
Jason Croker

Re: Movie and TV chat

Post by Rick James »

MIGHTY BOOSH!!!
Canberra Raiders Fan since 1984
Gold Member #3939 since 2006
2009 Golden Boogs MIA Award Winner
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Just found this thread after the movement from the Boogs.

Dexter is awesome, How much of season 2 have you watched? I don't really want to spoil anything but It'd be good to have a Dexter chat with somebody.

Everybody I know who's watching it is watching as it airs on Ten, I don't think they've finished season 1 yet. Reminds me that House is on tonight, must watch it. I've been dying since the last season finale, cliffhanger.

God bless Foxtel, Showcase is a pretty kickass channel too.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

Dexter's my surprise hit of the year. I remember some people I know in the US telling me about it last year, and I thought "what a crap idea for a TV show". But I've been watching it each week on 10, and I've recorded Season 2 off Showcase ready to watch when I see the final episode on Sunday night. Then, I'll be downloading the Season 3 episodes each week.

I bought all 3 of the Dexter books on ebay yesterday, now I've gotta wait a few weeks til they arrive. I can see myself checking the mail expectantly every night until they show up.....

There's some interesting shows coming up in the US now. Little Britain USA starts this week and the US version of Kath and Kim starts in a few weeks as well. The 4th season of Prison Break and the 3rd season of Heroes have kicked off too (wait for some AMAZING twists in the first episodes), and the telemovie "24 Redemption" is showing in November, setting up the 7th season of 24 in January.
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Dr. Alex
Brett Mullins

Post by Dr. Alex »

I hate Dexter! ****.

TBH I only watched 10 minutes of the very first show... It just reminds me of American Psycho. And I really dont like the actor.

Entourage on the other hand is awesome, season 4 was a bit off but Season 5 is lookin' good!

Arrested Development :lol: Love it!
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I've seen a couple of references to season 3 of Dexter, for anybody who's not in the know; its not out yet and the first ep airs in the US on the 28th. Due to the time delay you probably won't be able to get it from the torrent sites until sometime on the 29th Aus time.

Jed, if you know the right search terms you can get all the books (in electronic form) from the net for free by... somewhat less legal means, and you won't have to wait 2 weeks.

Consider it. :hmmm

:lol:
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

As far as British Comedy goes, IT Crowd **** all over Mighty Boosh to be honest. Boosh has its moments but it is filled with so much useless crap and cheap laughs - I get over TMB very very quickly.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Sterlk wrote:

Just found this thread after the movement from the Boogs.

Dexter is awesome, How much of season 2 have you watched? I don't really want to spoil anything but It'd be good to have a Dexter chat with somebody.

Everybody I know who's watching it is watching as it airs on Ten, I don't think they've finished season 1 yet. Reminds me that House is on tonight, must watch it. I've been dying since the last season finale, cliffhanger.

God bless Foxtel, Showcase is a pretty kickass channel too.
Have not watched any of season 2 yet...............if i ever get away from work today :thumbsdown I will watch it.

Dexter looks like Brett Kimmorley
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

Sterlk wrote:Jed, if you know the right search terms you can get all the books (in electronic form) from the net for free by... somewhat less legal means, and you won't have to wait 2 weeks.
I sit in front of my computer monitor at work for 8 hours each day, the last thing I want is to have to sit in front of it to read a few hundred pages of a book :P thanks for the offer though.

Another show I rate is "Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t", I especially love when they interview new-age'ers and rip them a new one. They've just finished their 6th season (a little lacking IMO compared with their first few years)
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Im all over House, Prison Break and Sarah Conner Cronicles like a rash

have been downloading the news eps this past few weeks, Prison break season 4 is freaking awesome. Huge twist in ep 1. The following eps are **** quality though, my favourite charactor is t-bag, he cracks me up

Terminator has had a solid start to season 2, should be interesting to see where it goes

Watched ep 1 of the new house season last night, it was pretty good, but has imo, a sad ending.