Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread *Spoilers*

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

PigRickman wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 24, 2019, 1:37 pm Give it 3hrs and I can chime in.
Hmm, would it be worth having an Avengers thread to seperate the spoilers?
It’s moments like these we need a spoiler button
Good idea
When you get out and are ready, start a thread and let’s talk about it!
** Warning - Spoilers ahead **

This thread is to discuss all things related to the MCU. This will contain spoilers for those not up to date, particularly when it comes to Avengers - End Game.

To try our best to minimise the threat of spoilers, I would request any posters to avoid any reveals in the opening sentences of their post. That way, mobile users can rest a little easier. Most social media pages are being spoiler free for two weeks, so I think after the 8th we should be right for this request as well.

One more time, if you don’t want any spoilers for Avengers - End Game, press back now.

I’m not afraid to say it, this movie got me, and I was tearing up like a ****. Absolutely loved it, and I thought it was a perfect end to the first phase.

Before the movie, I didn’t feel I was ready for Stark to die, but once Dr Strange raised that finger, I was ready for it.

I loved the way the main guys arcs were tied off. The Russo’s and Feige could have been ruthless and decide to kill off people, but I’m glad they didn’t. Cap is done, and the door is open for a new person to take over. I’m actually hoping they use this as a way to end the Avengers “All Assemble” concept all together, and instead have Civil War style cross overs. I don’t think the next wave of heroes will be able to carry the franchise as well.

Thor was brilliant, finally a hero us dad bodded dudes can get behind. He’s meant to be done contract wise, but Hemsworth has said in interviews that he’s open for a Thor 4 if the MCU wants it.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread **Spoilers**

Post by Northern Raider »

I've always wanted a body like Thor. Finally achieved it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread *Spoilers*

It’s probably the most consistent thing I’ve seen on Reddit so far. So many Cosplayers will now be able to accurately dress as Thor

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread **Spoilers**

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 24, 2019, 6:58 pm I've always wanted a body like Thor. Finally achieved it.
Hahah that’s **** pure!!

I’ll post my thoughts after dinner

I’ve got a lot hahah
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: April 24, 2019, 6:58 pm I've always wanted a body like Thor. Finally achieved it.
Hahah that’s **** pure!!

I’ve got a lot hahah
I’m worried you hate it, and I’m already in defence mode in preparation haha

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 24, 2019, 8:01 pm
PigRickman wrote:
Hahah that’s **** pure!!

I’ve got a lot hahah
I’m worried you hate it, and I’m already in defence mode in preparation haha
Haha, I'm just waiting to take the opposite view of whatever Piggles says so I can argue. :lol:

Truth is I loved it. like the overriding story and there was some real gut wrenching emotion in it. There were a couple of aspects I wasn't totally sold on.
In summary I gave it 8/10. Didn't quite make it to the same level as Infinity War, which was so unbelievably **** awesome.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

SPOILERS AHEAD

TURN AROUND NOW....

It's funny you mentioned the fact they didnt get ruthless and kill off more people because that was the thing i didnt like about it! To me it felt like like there was really no casualties! We didnt even get a Cap death.

The Stark death hit me right in the heart because that little girl reminded me A LOT of my little girl and i was just **** destroyed by that. So that was good that the film gave us that, but that was it... and dont give me some Black Widow ****, no one REALLY gives a **** about her haha.

I think i understand it though, they obviously cant kill off people who will be in phase 4 and beyond. It's too commercial in that sense.

I think the entire thing would have been enhanced considerably in the final battle if we just lost some others... Cap should have died protecting the stones from Thanos, i think him making that sacrifice coupled with Stark would have been very powerful, the Hulk could have died but im fine with him not, killing off Widow, Cap and Stark and then coupling that with a few of the bit part players that no one gives much of a **** about like maybe Falcon, Rhodes, Hawkeye, Okeye, Nebula could have gone, Valkyrie, you'd never really miss any of them in the next phase... just a few more bodies to make it seem like there was a cost to all of this... ultimately we lose Widow and Stark and everyone else gets a happy ending... didnt like that.

In terms of the movie it self, that played out OK. It did a good job of tying everything together but some issues with that...

1. I could just miss the entire first part where they go and Kill Thanos. Just dont think it really provided anything, and i think that time would have been better spent on other issues such as the below. You could save that entire 30-40 minutes, and after Marvel saves Stark, they try and trace Thanos, can't and then..

2. Now you've got more time, what to do? Can i get 10 minutes on Hulk and Banner? Like they played that up SO Much, that entire thing in Infinity Wars... "we got a lot to work out" he said... we saw none of that! I was super keen to see how Banner reconciled the Hulk thing, i knew it was going to Professor Hulk but can i get a little bit how we got there?

3. Captain Marvel really didnt do a lot here. She saved Stark, showed up late and kicked some **** but she really didnt have a role significant enough to warrant the tease of that. There really didnt feel like a pay off on that either.

4. Im not really sure why when past Nebula was shot and killed, that it didnt kill current day. Just didnt make much sense to me.

Over all i think the film was a little disappointing but delivered some super **** cool moments.
And Thor absolutely stole the **** show, as he has in every film since they realised he can do comedy. Im excited a bit more about another Gaurdians movie if he's involved, i think Black Panther should continue, and i think it re-opened the door for Loki to return, which was cool cause i **** love Loki

alright, so that's my thoughts.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Just finished awesome!

Had a few things which surprised me and they included a bit which will outrage the anti SJW brigade which should be good for a laugh.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And here I was hoping that the whole thing would finally stop! Now there's another "phase"?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread *Spoilers*

Spoilers below...

PigRickman wrote: 1. I could just miss the entire first part where they go and Kill Thanos. Just dont think it really provided anything, and i think that time would have been better spent on other issues such as the below. You could save that entire 30-40 minutes, and after Marvel saves Stark, they try and trace Thanos, can't and then..
I think that part helps set the scene for Thor. I felt part of the reason Thor was depressed and shaken up about Thanos was because he killed a weak, unarmed and tired Thanos. In previous Thors, Thor has prided himself on having these epic honourable battles. Here he rages out and kills him dishonourably.
PigRickman wrote:3. Captain Marvel really didnt do a lot here. She saved Stark, showed up late and kicked some **** but she really didnt have a role significant enough to warrant the tease of that. There really didnt feel like a pay off on that either.
I’m honestly glad they handled her the way she did. She’s too overpowered to be there for the whole fight. I was worried that she was going to just steal the show, so to come in as the cavalry, it kind of makes her relevant while she’s not just whooping everything from the start.
It’s what I hate about Superman. Hard to keep it interesting when you’re invincible.
PigRickman wrote:4. Im not really sure why when past Nebula was shot and killed, that it didnt kill current day. Just didnt make much sense to me.
It makes sense in my head, but I’ve been struggling to articulate it. It’s to do with that speech they made about why they can’t go back in time and kill baby Thanos, and how time travel doesn’t work like Back to the Future tells us.

So the past is the past, that never changes in this timeline. Nebula coming into the Future creates two timelines
1. Where Nebula doesn’t travel into the future (Alive Nebula aka AB)
2. Where Nebula does travel into the future (Dead Nebula aka DB)
So when AB kills DB, it doesn’t have any implication to AB, because they’re from different timelines
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on April 24, 2019, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickman's love of NSW
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Yep sorry GE this phase ends after Spider-Man in June then a new one starts up, they have the next 5years planned then all the Fantastic Four and XMen stuff since they got the rights back, not to mention all the TV shows.

Pigman I wouldn’t expect Loki back in the movies even though they are talking about Thor 4 but he is getting his own 8 part tv series.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 24, 2019, 8:12 pm SPOILERS AHEAD

TURN AROUND NOW....

It's funny you mentioned the fact they didnt get ruthless and kill off more people because that was the thing i didnt like about it! To me it felt like like there was really no casualties! We didnt even get a Cap death.

The Stark death hit me right in the heart because that little girl reminded me A LOT of my little girl and i was just **** destroyed by that. So that was good that the film gave us that, but that was it... and dont give me some Black Widow ****, no one REALLY gives a **** about her haha.

I think i understand it though, they obviously cant kill off people who will be in phase 4 and beyond. It's too commercial in that sense.

I think the entire thing would have been enhanced considerably in the final battle if we just lost some others... Cap should have died protecting the stones from Thanos, i think him making that sacrifice coupled with Stark would have been very powerful, the Hulk could have died but im fine with him not, killing off Widow, Cap and Stark and then coupling that with a few of the bit part players that no one gives much of a **** about like maybe Falcon, Rhodes, Hawkeye, Okeye, Nebula could have gone, Valkyrie, you'd never really miss any of them in the next phase... just a few more bodies to make it seem like there was a cost to all of this... ultimately we lose Widow and Stark and everyone else gets a happy ending... didnt like that.

In terms of the movie it self, that played out OK. It did a good job of tying everything together but some issues with that...

1. I could just miss the entire first part where they go and Kill Thanos. Just dont think it really provided anything, and i think that time would have been better spent on other issues such as the below. You could save that entire 30-40 minutes, and after Marvel saves Stark, they try and trace Thanos, can't and then..

2. Now you've got more time, what to do? Can i get 10 minutes on Hulk and Banner? Like they played that up SO Much, that entire thing in Infinity Wars... "we got a lot to work out" he said... we saw none of that! I was super keen to see how Banner reconciled the Hulk thing, i knew it was going to Professor Hulk but can i get a little bit how we got there?

3. Captain Marvel really didnt do a lot here. She saved Stark, showed up late and kicked some **** but she really didnt have a role significant enough to warrant the tease of that. There really didnt feel like a pay off on that either.

4. Im not really sure why when past Nebula was shot and killed, that it didnt kill current day. Just didnt make much sense to me.

Over all i think the film was a little disappointing but delivered some super **** cool moments.
And Thor absolutely stole the **** show, as he has in every film since they realised he can do comedy. Im excited a bit more about another Gaurdians movie if he's involved, i think Black Panther should continue, and i think it re-opened the door for Loki to return, which was cool cause i **** love Loki

alright, so that's my thoughts.
1) Opening Thanos sequence. I hear what you're saying but I liked it in hindsight. It was like their plan succeeded but also failed. Set up the "We've got no other options left" and true feeling of final defeat.

2) Hulk transformatiin. Yeah, felt like we skipped some important character development there. Not overly taken with the final outcome of Smart Hulk either. His Jekyll and Hyde character still works better.

3) Captain Marvel. I now feel this whole arc just been crammed in with no real need. They could have comfortably followed the same plot and completely written around that character. A little disappointed she wasn't more critical to the story after being introduced after Infinity War.

4) Present Nebula surviving past Nebula bring killed. My simple explanation is that past Nebula was killed in the present do it did not affect present Nebula. All activities between the events still took place in theory. But.....it's time travel in movies. Don't overthink it as it can never make sense.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The rain in Spain mainly falls on the plain...

Said that just to throw off the app preview.

TBF, even though Cap didn’t die, his character is done. I was happy with his arc, he goes back and lived the life he wanted. Plus the scene is set for a changing of the guard, with Falcon set to be the new Cap.

I think the kid from Iron Man 3 turning up at the funeral is also a potential sign that a new Iron Man could be on the cards as well.

Also, I need to call out how awesome Hawkeye was. He finally got his chance to shine. Him turning around to see his family was dust got me.. TBF, I was a wreck through most of this movie.

Nickman's love of NSW
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Spoiler.

The professor Hulk bit didn’t worry me but as a former comic geek I knew the background to it.

My main point disappointment was Falcon becoming the new Capt, both him and Bucky have their turn in the comics but Bucky would be much better since he’s actually a super soldier and Falcons just a normal guy.

I guess the new Black Widow movie will have to be set in the past now.

Love the hashtag Josh Brolin did on Twitter with a behind shot of a naked Thanos , #washingavengerscumoff :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 24, 2019, 8:49 pm The rain in Spain mainly falls on the plain...

Said that just to throw off the app preview.

TBF, even though Cap didn’t die, his character is done. I was happy with his arc, he goes back and lived the life he wanted. Plus the scene is set for a changing of the guard, with Falcon set to be the new Cap.

I think the kid from Iron Man 3 turning up at the funeral is also a potential sign that a new Iron Man could be on the cards as well.

Also, I need to call out how awesome Hawkeye was. He finally got his chance to shine. Him turning around to see his family was dust got me.. TBF, I was a wreck through most of this movie.

Cap effectively retiring was fine with me. Yes, they could have waxed a few more characters but by not doing so they allowed the focus to remain on those that did snuff it. Otherwise you watch that emotionally supercharged funeral scene with the back of your mind going "what about [insert names], they died too?"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Needs more Korg. I seriously piss myself laughing in every scene he's in. I vote for stand alone Korg spinoff movie.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

But dont you guys hate pants?

I hate pants...

Re: the response to the final defeat feeling, i think you get that anyways with Thor because he had the chance, he had Thanos right where he wanted him and buried Stormbreaker into the chest. Thanos says "you should have gone for the head, *click*"
That's the failure, thats enough to drive that Dad Bod drunk arch... i just really thought that was filler time that could have been used more

@Manbush, i agree with you in that it was good that Captain Marvel didnt come in and dominate, that would have been awful but also the way they played up her involvement, it felt like she should have at least played a more vital role in the "end game", they just never paid off the investment put into that character in the lead up. @Northern Raider is right, the whole arc now feels just crammed in... honestly if you just rewrite another way for Stark and Nebula to get back to Earth, you actually dont even need her in the story at all.

Fair points on Nebula, i think NR's explanation helps but also Fui is right, i guess it's time travel and a movie and im probably just overthinking it :lol:

I've seen a lot of that response re: Cap not dying, it does tie off his arc, he's not coming back for any other film. He's old and washed now so in that respect they ended him without killing him... but i just didnt think that fit in with his character's destiny. It just felt like he and Stark were the two guys that were absolutely going to give their live for the greater good. I was ready to lose Cap in some insanely heroic way, maybe to save Bucky who picked up the shield... i dunno, it just was kind a flat. Was **** cool to see him wield Mjolnir

Agree with Manbush that Bucky should have been made the new Cap, Falcon is boring. QUIT BORING EVERYONE FALCON!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 24, 2019, 9:09 pm Needs more Korg. I seriously piss myself laughing in every scene he's in. I vote for stand alone Korg spinoff movie.
Korg is absolutely the **** tits. Forever and always
The great hope is that end game is done now and we can move on with the MCU revolving around it's main character. Korg.

"He called me a **** again" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 24, 2019, 9:15 pm Agree with Manbush that Bucky should have been made the new Cap, Falcon is boring. QUIT BORING EVERYONE FALCON!
I'm on board with this too. Bucky is Cap's oldest friend, he's a genetically engineered super-soldier, also has a redemption story. Makes so much more sense for him to take the mantle.

Falcon is a superhero because of his tech. Same as War Machine. I can't see how he could do much with just a shield.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 24, 2019, 9:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 24, 2019, 9:09 pm Needs more Korg. I seriously piss myself laughing in every scene he's in. I vote for stand alone Korg spinoff movie.
Korg is absolutely the **** tits. Forever and always
The great hope is that end game is done now and we can move on with the MCU revolving around it's main character. Korg.

"He called me a **** again" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haha **** i love him so much, i watched Ragnorok when i was in doing my sleep study, and i hooked up to 1000 different **** wires cackling like a loon throughout that film
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I must be one of the few people who don’t like Korg but that’s because the comics killed it for me, he’s meant to be a very serious hard ass hardened after having to kill his brothers, Meik was more the comedy relief.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: April 25, 2019, 7:35 am I must be one of the few people who don’t like Korg but that’s because the comics killed it for me, he’s meant to be a very serious hard ass hardened after having to kill his brothers, Meik was more the comedy relief.
I believe he wanted to be that character but didn't print enough pamphlets.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I wished the movies had more Korg as well. I was looking forward to seeing him again.

Taika Waititi is a genius. I’ve loved everything he’s done so far. Deciding to play Korg as a Kiwi because that’s what he wanted to see on tv was a brilliant move

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 25, 2019, 10:30 am
Manbush wrote: April 25, 2019, 7:35 am I must be one of the few people who don’t like Korg but that’s because the comics killed it for me, he’s meant to be a very serious hard ass hardened after having to kill his brothers, Meik was more the comedy relief.
I believe he wanted to be that character but didn't print enough pamphlets.
Hahah
Well played sir
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Special shoutout to the true hero of the show though. None it would have happened without them

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 26, 2019, 11:26 am Special shoutout to the true hero of the show though. None it would have happened without them

Shouts to the rat who saved everyone
Thanos sent packing by a rodent, an embarrassing day for a once proud super villain.
Sort it out Thanos and Nebula, send Thanos back to kill the rat.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

One thing about the movie. They made sure everyone could see that earth had gone to **** since Thanos wiped out half the population. After Infinity War there was definitely a feeling that Thanos may have actually been right even though his solution was overly harsh. They needed to show that it wasn't right but never really explained why it didn't work.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 26, 2019, 10:14 pm One thing about the movie. They made sure everyone could see that earth had gone to **** since Thanos wiped out half the population. After Infinity War there was definitely a feeling that Thanos may have actually been right even though his solution was overly harsh. They needed to show that it wasn't right but never really explained why it didn't work.
Yep, that was one of the things that occurred to me immediately after i saw it that i thought "man, give me 10 more minutes of that, rather than the killing thanos thing"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I've had some more friends go see it over the weekend which means we can talk about it more openly. :lol:

Most saying similar, really good movie but not up to Infinity Wars level. For some that led to mild dissapointment but as I said previously, the bar was set unfairly high by that movie. One thing all agreed on. Captain Marvel had surprisingly very little impact, particularly given she's the most powerful hero among them. Goes back to my comment that she's been shoehorned into the series right near the end. Better to either give her a bigger role or not include her at all. I'm inclined towards the latter as she's not a very interesting character. Don't know if thats due to acting, writing or directing. Maybe a combination of them all.

I think this was still a very good movie. They just didn't nail it like they have with some previous Marvel movies (Iron Man, Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, Infinity War best examples). Sits somewhere in the middle alongside the original Avengers movie.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah fair call. I still think it was a way to de-Power her. Same with them making Thor overweight, get him out of condition so he’s not so unstoppable.

Just read that Kevin Feige has said there won’t be another “All In” Marvel movie for the foreseeable future. Said the next one would have to be better than Infinity War and Endgame, so they’re focusing on standalones for time being.

I think that’s a smart move. I think it’s going to take a while to get themselves back to Avengers level. For me, there isn’t 5/6 standalone characters that can hold an Avengers movie

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Not now there isn't with Iron Man gone and Capt America pensioned off. Those were the pack leaders. What they can do is character crossover movies like Civil War and Spiderman Homecoming. The obvious one is Guardians with Thor.

Damn shame Black Widow is gone as a combo movie with her and Hawkeye could have been awesome. Neither has super powers and get by on their own skill. They also both have dark histories.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The interesting part of the MCU is going to be now that fox is involved, X-men being brought into it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:The interesting part of the MCU is going to be now that fox is involved, X-men being brought into it.
Yeah I’m expecting the MCU to burn the franchise to the ground and start afresh with a reboot.

They’ve confirmed Deadpool will stay R Rated, which is a smart move

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote:Damn shame Black Widow is gone as a combo movie with her and Hawkeye could have been awesome. Neither has super powers and get by on their own skill. They also both have dark histories.
One rumour doing the rounds is the Black Widow movie is going to be a combo one with Hawkeye, where we’ll find out what the hell happened in Budapest

Nickman's love of NSW