The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Film Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just watched Once Upon a Time.. in Hollywood. It’s a weird one. The script was good, the characters were great, but literally nothing happens for 2hrs, 10mins.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Alright gang, time for a good ol' fashioned weekend movie club. In these Covid times, how about we take turns nominating a movie we all must watch over the upcoming weekend, and get people's opinions

I'll start, because I have one Im curious to see your views. It's called The Invitation, and its on Netflix. The reason why Im curious is because it started a debate at work a few years ago, when one lady recommended it. Another lady in my team watched it, absolutely hated it and said it was "Literally, the worst movie I've ever seen."

So the debate started, we all watched it to see what side of the fence we sat on. I thought it was good, decent for what it was. Nowhere near the worst movie I've ever seen. That said, I was in a 3 - 2 minority.

So watch it over the weekend, and lets discuss which side of the fence you're on (I like it / I don't like it). For the record, its rated 6.6 on IMDB, described as a horror, but I thought it was pretty light on

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Starting right now!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I will tell you guys an amazing German academy award winning film on SBS on demand. The Lives of Others.

It’s about the Stasi, it’s no feel good story. But it’s a cracker.

Slow moving and suspenseful but at 8.4 on IMDB you can tell it’s good. One for serious film afficianadoes.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

My Saturdays are very busy these days with a lot of horse races to watch. Will see if I can squeeze this in.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Usually takes me a while to pick a film on Netflix to watch so I'll give it a crack. You've set the expectations pretty high

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Oh I wouldn’t go far that far. I think it’s a 6/7 out of 10. I was just more on the “I like it” side of the ledger

Nickman's love of NSW
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

BJ wrote: April 17, 2020, 4:44 pm I will tell you guys an amazing German academy award winning film on SBS on demand. The Lives of Others.

Slow moving and suspenseful but at 8.4 on IMDB you can tell it’s good. One for serious film afficianadoes.
agreed - a cracker
Sid
Ricky Stuart

The Film Thread

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Oh I wouldn’t go far that far. I think it’s a 6/7 out of 10. I was just more on the “I like it” side of the ledger
Was meant to be sarcastic given one lady said it was the worst film she’d seen and 3/5 hated it

Can put me down as being on the “thumbs up” side of the ledger, I thought it was good overall. I can see why it would divide people, but I kind of liked that the movie was (spoiler?) a slow burner and played out in its most natural way.

I’d been struggling to find a half decent thriller on Netflix, last recommendation I received was “The Silence” which was terrible

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That was about a 5/10.

Critics seemed like it very much, audiences not so much: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_invitation

It’s not my sort of film tbh. I really don’t like horror films, and this was probably more horror than thriller.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished watching Knives Out. 100% would recommend. It’s a very clever whodunnit. Haven’t seen a movie like it in ages

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just finished watching Knives Out. 100% would recommend. It’s a very clever whodunnit. Haven’t seen a movie like it in ages
Bummer, it's not on netflix

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Nah we hired it off Foxtel

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
-PJ- wrote: March 29, 2020, 12:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 29, 2020, 11:40 am
-PJ- wrote: March 29, 2020, 11:24 am These John Wick movies are the biggest load of crap I've ever seen..
Didn't mind it to start. Got increasingly more silly as they went on.
Silly covers it..
I didn't mind the first one. 2nd one was a bit ott. Torn about watching the third one. On the one hand, I feel like I need to finish the series, but on the other hand life's too short to be wasted on dud movies.
Just watched the 3rd one. Silly doesn’t even begin to describe it

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 19, 2020, 2:41 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
-PJ- wrote: March 29, 2020, 12:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 29, 2020, 11:40 am
-PJ- wrote: March 29, 2020, 11:24 am These John Wick movies are the biggest load of crap I've ever seen..
Didn't mind it to start. Got increasingly more silly as they went on.
Silly covers it..
I didn't mind the first one. 2nd one was a bit ott. Torn about watching the third one. On the one hand, I feel like I need to finish the series, but on the other hand life's too short to be wasted on dud movies.
Just watched the 3rd one. Silly doesn’t even begin to describe it
Rubbish right Fui ?

Crap..💩
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Northern Raider wrote: March 19, 2020, 9:01 am
greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2020, 10:38 pm I saw Yesterday, today. It’s not the best film in the world, this year or any year, but it was a bit of fun with a great sound track.
yeah it was decent entertainment. An easy movie to enjoy. Also hits home how many brilliant songs the Beetles produced.
"Beetles"...?

You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

hrundi89 wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: March 19, 2020, 9:01 am
greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2020, 10:38 pm I saw Yesterday, today. It’s not the best film in the world, this year or any year, but it was a bit of fun with a great sound track.
yeah it was decent entertainment. An easy movie to enjoy. Also hits home how many brilliant songs the Beetles produced.
"Beetles"...?

Much better band than the Rolin Strones or Abah.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I just watched 1917... and I reckon that's the fourth 2020 Oscar nominated film I've seen which is far superior to "Parasite".
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2020, 1:37 pm I just watched 1917... and I reckon that's the fourth 2020 Oscar nominated film I've seen which is far superior to "Parasite".
The Oscars lost relevance a long time ago. Nobody cares any more.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

We've started a movie club at work, it started because I asked them to watch The Invitation as well. Similar results, not many people liked it. Then I started scrawling through movies on Netflix. Inglorious Basterds was last week. Didn't watch that, so I'll double down this week. Today I've picked Prisoners, which has Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in it.

So if you want to join film club, you're more than welcome to

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Bloody Fui. Breaking the first and second rule of film club
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 1, 2020, 3:54 pm We've started a movie club at work, it started because I asked them to watch The Invitation as well. Similar results, not many people liked it. Then I started scrawling through movies on Netflix. Inglorious Basterds was last week. Didn't watch that, so I'll double down this week. Today I've picked Prisoners, which has Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in it.

Could you just tell us all the film assignment each week?

I also watched Ford v Ferrari yesterday. Very well crafted, acted, produced, great historical feel. The subject matter... car racing doesn’t do much for me so that might impact my assessment, but it’s no film of the year.
BJ
Steve Walters

The Film Thread

Post by BJ »

Ford v Ferrari? Not a patch on Ford v Pedestrian that I see in Tuggeranong most days.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 1, 2020, 3:54 pm We've started a movie club at work, it started because I asked them to watch The Invitation as well. Similar results, not many people liked it. Then I started scrawling through movies on Netflix. Inglorious Basterds was last week. Didn't watch that, so I'll double down this week. Today I've picked Prisoners, which has Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in it.

I also watched Ford v Ferrari yesterday. Very well crafted, acted, produced, great historical feel. The subject matter... car racing doesn’t do much for me so that might impact my assessment, but it’s no film of the year.
Unconscious bias

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: May 2, 2020, 10:45 am
greeneyed wrote:

Unconscious bias

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
No, I was being conscious about my bias.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I want to watch that also. I watched the Doco of the rivalry on Netflix. Interested to compare the pair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 5, 2020, 6:45 am Just watched Once Upon a Time.. in Hollywood. It’s a weird one. The script was good, the characters were great, but literally nothing happens for 2hrs, 10mins.
I finally got around to watching this, recorded it yonks ago...

Well..

I thought it was ok, kept me interested.

But you're right, nothing happens !! :shock:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Film Thread

Just watched Jojo Rabbit. Really enjoyed it. I wouldn’t say it’s Taika’s best, but definitely up there.

Found myself being really annoyed at Rebel Wilson. You could see she was doing a standard Rebel improv character, and I thought it really fell flat.

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 16, 2020, 10:05 pm Just watched Jojo Rabbit. Really enjoyed it. I wouldn’t say it’s Taika’s best, but definitely up there.

Found myself being really annoyed at Rebel Wilson. You could see she was doing a standard Rebel improv character, and I thought it really fell flat.
Saw it this week too and thought it was good.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 16, 2020, 10:05 pm Just watched Jojo Rabbit. Really enjoyed it. I wouldn’t say it’s Taika’s best, but definitely up there.

Have you seen Parasite?

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 16, 2020, 10:40 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Have you seen Parasite?
YES... I... HAVE...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 16, 2020, 10:40 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Have you seen Parasite?
YES... I... HAVE...
After watching Jojo, I got thinking about Parasite, and whether it was better from the Oscar perspective. I think Parasite is the better movie... but I don’t think it was Oscar worthy... I have to see the other noms and compare

Nickman's love of NSW
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BJ wrote: April 17, 2020, 4:44 pm I will tell you guys an amazing German academy award winning film on SBS on demand. The Lives of Others.

Possibly the greatest ever is Das Leben Der Anderen
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

julian87 wrote:

Possibly the greatest ever is Das Leben Der Anderen
Ja!