NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

Good little game emerging here. The fightin' Dan Campbell's are up for it again this week
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 21, 2021, 11:23 am Good little game emerging here. The fightin' Dan Campbell's are up for it again this week
more than holding their own
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just a thought experiment based on a throw off comment i heard on an NFL podcast...

How many games would this team win? 10+ surely?

QB: Mac Jones, Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Derrick Henry, Najee Harris, Kenyon Drake
WR: Amari Cooper, Jaylen Waddle
WR: Julio Jones, Davonte Smith
Slot: Calvin Ridley, Henry Ruggs II
TE: OJ Howard
RT: Alex Leatherwood
RG: Jonah Williams, Cam Robinson
C: Ryan Kelly, J.C. Hassenauer
LG: Landon Dickerson, Deonte Brown
LT: Jedrick Wills Jr, Andre Smith

DE: Jonathan Allen, Isiah Buggs
DT: Daron Payne, A'Shaun Robinson
DT: Christian Baremore, Johnny Dwight
DE: Quinnen Williams, Jarran Reed
WLB: Mack Wilson, Rashaan Evans
MLB: CJ Mosley, Terrell Lewis
SLB: Donte Hightower, Reggie Ragland
CB: Marlon Humprey, Dre Kirkpatrick
SS: Landon Collins, Ronnie Harrison Jr, Xavier McKinney
FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Eddie Jackson
CB: Patrick Surtain II, Trevon Diggs

That's an Alabama NFL depth chart, 45/53 man roster
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 21, 2021, 12:46 pm Just a thought experiment based on a throw off comment i heard on an NFL podcast...

How many games would this team win? 10+ surely?

QB: Mac Jones, Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Derrick Henry, Najee Harris, Kenyon Drake
WR: Amari Cooper, Jaylen Waddle
WR: Julio Jones, Davonte Smith
Slot: Calvin Ridley, Henry Ruggs II
TE: OJ Howard
RT: Alex Leatherwood
RG: Jonah Williams, Cam Robinson
C: Ryan Kelly, J.C. Hassenauer
LG: Landon Dickerson, Deonte Brown
LT: Jedrick Wills Jr, Andre Smith

DE: Jonathan Allen, Isiah Buggs
DT: Daron Payne, A'Shaun Robinson
DT: Christian Baremore, Johnny Dwight
DE: Quinnen Williams, Jarran Reed
WLB: Mack Wilson, Rashaan Evans
MLB: CJ Mosley, Terrell Lewis
SLB: Donte Hightower, Reggie Ragland
CB: Marlon Humprey, Dre Kirkpatrick
SS: Landon Collins, Ronnie Harrison Jr, Xavier McKinney
FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Eddie Jackson
CB: Patrick Surtain II, Trevon Diggs

That's an Alabama NFL depth chart, 45/53 man roster
DAAAAAAAAMN!!!

I mean Jones wont have to do much, other than give it to the open guy and not make mistakes - which is his kinda game. If thats not working Henry will make holes.
Your DBs are locking everyone down, AAAAAND, taking that ball away.
Your linebackers are lighting up ball runners and over the middle passes up, and if they miss Collins wont.

I reckon 10 isnt enough. Its in the +++ bracket for mine.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The DL lacks some real pass rush but it's a run stuffing monster, and the LB's are not great in coverage, so you could conceivably move the ball by dinking and dunking to your RB's and TE's against that defence, until they move Marlon Humprey down on to the TE and then you're pretty **** :lol:

Offensively the OL is just OK. A good pass rush could force the ball out quick... but that's kind of Mac's game and with those WRs... quick game will work just fine. :lol:

You can try and do it with other Colleges. But it falls apart pretty quickly, even teams like OSU, Clemson, LSU etc and it just falls apart along the lines. Just goes to show what a factory Bama is
Last edited by Botman on September 21, 2021, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 21, 2021, 1:51 pm The DL lacks some real pass rush but it's a run stuffing monster, and the LB's are not great in coverage, so you could conceivably move the ball by dinking and dunking to your RB's and TE's against that defence, until they move Marlon Humprey down on to the TE and then you're pretty **** :lol:

Offensively the OL is just OK. A good pass rush could force the ball out quick... but that's kind of Mac's game and with those WRs... quick game will work just fine. :lol:

You can try and do it with out Colleges. But it falls apart pretty quickly, even teams like OSU, Clemson, LSU etc and it just falls apart along the lines
Look at the cap though.... you arent spending in on the D-line or O-line :lol:
I reckon you would be just fine with them though, just because there are so many studs at the other spots. Those DBs are good enough that even the dinking and dunking will get stopped at some point.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Is ARod becoming a bit of a media hater?!?! I remember him as a media darling, but now he is spewing fire and brimstone. Is this the 1st sign of getting long in the tooth?!?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:56 am Is ARod becoming a bit of a media hater?!?! I remember him as a media darling, but now he is spewing fire and brimstone. Is this the 1st sign of getting long in the tooth?!?
I dont think so, he's always been a bit gruff with the media but he's a pretty honest guy with them too
He's taking aim at some former players and coaches who questioned his commitment to the team in what is in all likelihood his last year in GB because of the week 1
I think he's entitled to put them back in their box a little when he bounces back in week 2

the thing about Rodgers that most people didnt really talk about in week 1 was this isnt new... this thing where last week they got down 20+ and he just has this "**** it, this game is over" sort of attitude and starts throwing really dumb passes and not caring... he's done that multiple times in his career, sometimes he even lands those passes and it brings them back into the game
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 22, 2021, 12:46 pm
Matt wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:56 am Is ARod becoming a bit of a media hater?!?! I remember him as a media darling, but now he is spewing fire and brimstone. Is this the 1st sign of getting long in the tooth?!?
I dont think so, he's always been a bit gruff with the media but he's a pretty honest guy with them too
He's taking aim at some former players and coaches who questioned his commitment to the team in what is in all likelihood his last year in GB because of the week 1
I think he's entitled to put them back in their box a little when he bounces back in week 2

the thing about Rodgers that most people didnt really talk about in week 1 was this isnt new... this thing where last week they got down 20+ and he just has this "**** it, this game is over" sort of attitude and starts throwing really dumb passes and not caring... he's done that multiple times in his career, sometimes he even lands those passes and it brings them back into the game
Cowboys have been on the receiving end of 'hit and hope' a few times. Im aware.

I knew about the honesty, which is why the media love him, just never seen/ remember him being this grumpy and angry.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Looks like Philly will get a dose of Parsons at DE. We lost 2 more D linemen on the weekend - Armstrong and Watkins. We are getting Gregory back off the COVID list though.

Coop with a rib issue, means we might be down WR1 and WR3... ooph.

Neal is on the COVID list now.

Our injury/suspension/COVID toll after 3 wks is crazy
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/cow ... lays-where

Bucky Brooks talks up Mailata at around the 22nd min on 1 of the Cowboys podcasts
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's improvement is really quite special
It's pretty cool to see him getting recognition around the league
Against the niners he went against Nick Bosa for 33 pass blocking snaps... 0 sacks, 0 QB hits, 0 pressures allowed by Mailata in those snaps according to PFF.

There is play in that where Bosa is credited with a sack going against Mailata, however PFF determined that sack was on the RG/C even though Bosa ends up getting the credit... which i find a little strange but even if they did attribute that to Mailata, allowing 1 sack to a guy like Bosa given where Mailata is in his development is pretty damn good.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 24, 2021, 8:44 am He's improvement is really quite special
It's pretty cool to see him getting recognition around the league
Against the niners he went against Nick Bosa for 33 pass blocking snaps... 0 sacks, 0 QB hits, 0 pressures allowed by Mailata in those snaps according to PFF.

There is play in that where Bosa is credited with a sack going against Mailata, however PFF determined that sack was on the RG/C even though Bosa ends up getting the credit... which i find a little strange but even if they did attribute that to Mailata, allowing 1 sack to a guy like Bosa given where Mailata is in his development is pretty damn good.
100%
Its amazing that he is good enough to push Dillard elsewhere, who played it all his life.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Anea on Covid protocols now.
We don't have a DL left
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Mailata OUT vs Cowboys, Dillard starts. @Botman
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Great win over the Chiefs despite more illegal shift penalties!

And Justin Tucker just kicked a 66 yarder for the win!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Giants are going to have their worst year in history. Looking at the schedule... they're not beating anyone.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

gergreg wrote: September 27, 2021, 7:57 am Giants are going to have their worst year in history. Looking at the schedule... they're not beating anyone.
They're 0-3 after a soft opening schedule: vs Broncos, @WFT, vs Falcons.
Coming up: @Saints (post Hurricane Ida homecoming), @Cowboys, vs Rams
VERY good chance that this team ends up 0-6 again.
But don't worry, they'll win some meaningless games down the stretch, blowing their chance for a top 10 draft pick.
Heaven help us, this team sucks. They need a new OC and a new GM desperately.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 26, 2021, 6:49 am Mailata OUT vs Cowboys, Dillard starts. @Botman
Good chance for Dillard to show he's got something and convince a team to come and get him
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Monday Round up thoughts...no eagles game so you're spared my insane ramblings about my bad football team until tomorrow!
(ill break it up into games so it's not just a huge wall of text)

- Big shouts to Carson Wentz, playing on two sprained ankles and so very clearly limited, he played EVERY snap. A BIG win for the eagles first round pick hopes. The colts are in big trouble though. They're 0-3 and the schedule doesnt lighten up for a while.
- Couldnt be less impressed with the Titans. They'll PROBABLY win the division but this team is back to being the titooooons. They're just not a very interesting team.

- Atlanta's use of Kyle Pitts continues to confound me. The win not withstanding, is a very ordinary start to Authur Smith reign. If they didnt think Pitts was good enough to be featured from the get go, they should have taken a QB.
- The GGGGGGGGGmen getting stuffed in a box, on their own home field by a team like the Falcons bodes extremely poorly for their season to come. This team has the stink about them. I thought he was safe but im on Joe Judge watch now

- the chiefs continue to look sloppy and Mahomes isn't immune from that either. I still think they'll figure it out, but man, you'd not feel good about the KC SB tickets you're holding. The defence gives up too much in the red zone. Alarm bells firmly ringing imo.
- Herbert is an out and out stud. He just makes so many great plays. And i like this Staley defence and how they use their guys. If Derwin James stays healthy, he's a legit DPOY candidate even if he doesnt have the "counting" stats

- Big Ben Watch: Still absolutely washed. My guy threw on of the worst interceptions i've seen today and also managed to fall on his face when trying to throw a pass. It can't go on. Nothing else on this team matters until they get that sorted.
- Chase is going to be real good, he's making plays weekly and Burrow has innate trust in him. If they can just build up an OL, this bengals teams with Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins and Boyd could be pretty explosive.

- DA bears and Justin Field got off to... lets call it A start... 1 net passing yard in the game. Not a typo. 1. They had 47 net yards total... I mean i am really without words. Nagy should be sacked by the time we wake tomorrow.
- Browns played pretty poorly tbh, but they handled this game fine. This is now a browns team that you can expect to do their jobs and their success will be defined by how they go against the contenders

- the fightin dan campbells did not deserve to loss that game. And if not for a blown delay of game call on the play prior to the FG, they wouldnt have. Im sure at some point when they're 0-6 and 1-8 that the energy will go and they'll start rolling over but for now, they're in there making you earn it.
- Justin Tucker, the GOAT... NFL record, 66 yards off the crossbar. This performance was expected after the emotional win over KC last week, good to escape the let down game with a win.

- NO continue to confound me. I have no idea if they're good or not. I have no idea if Jameis is good or not. I dont think they are?
- I do know NE are not good. I've seen enough. It's just a boring, competent but not good football team. Mac Jones, despite the stat line, had his best game IMO, because at least he TRIED (and failed btw lol) to push the ball deep.

- The jags were in for a hot minute there, and after the kick 6, on the stroke of halftime they had a shot. But poor play calling, errors from Lawrence and a lack of balls up front ended their chances.
- Cards didnt play their best game and wound up fairly comfortable winners. I dont know if they're going to hold up against the elite teams in the NFC but im excited to find out. Feels a soft 3-0 imo.

- Josh Allen watch can take a break this week. He was back to his best here. Pin point throws in the intermediate areas, using his legs to stress defences, and spreading the ball around. His best game this year by a long way. The Bills D looks pretty good too. Very balanced team
- Washington's much vaunted D however has now been put to the sword 3 weeks running... are they really that good? Because if they're not, this team isnt winning the NFC E.

- This must feel like PTSD for the Jets... another rookie QB and another absolute **** show out of the gate. Way, WAY to early to give up on Wilson but yeeesh, this is not good so far. The coaching has left a lot to be desired too for a new staff
- No change in my denver thoughts other than the more they get Javonte Williams involved the better. He's so dynamic. Still dont think Teddy B can trade blows with Mahomes/Herbert in the division.

- the dolphins didnt look any better or worse with the QB change... think that's a bit of a problem. They've got some good players there but i am starting to wonder if they have the QB. But i really would like to see Tua get a good 10 weeks in this team to settle in and get going.
- the Raiders keep finding a way to get the job done. Another soft 3-0 team but i have to say Derek Carr is playing extremely well right now. Good for him and good for them. They're a bit fun.

- Seattle firmly in panic mode after backing up last weeks implosion with this. However unlike last week, they didnt give this game away, they were just out played. Something in the NFC W has got to give, maybe it's them?
- The vikings were probably extremely unlucky to be 0-2, with a made FG and a play here or there in OT, they could be 2-0. I hate watching Justin Jefferson, it makes me angry. He's so good and he should be an eagle.

- The Rams put on the most impressive display of the weekend. They didnt just beat the Bucs, they beat them down imo. Big shouts to my forever guy Djax, at 34 he's still the best deep ball threat in the league. Stafford missed him 2-3 other times too. Could have been a 5-250-2 td sort of game. LOVE him.
- This was a gut check for the Bucs, they had a few guys out but this is an offence they're going to have to deal with and today they couldnt. It's tough to bet against TB given all his success but this result really felt like a moment for me.

- Im officially fed up with Shanahan and SF and their Bull. Sure you win games, fine and dandy. But you're playing a clearly inferior QB, giving snaps to **** Rb's over your high draft picks and Brandon Aiyuk is still in the dog house... this **** aint hard. Get Lance in there, run the damn football and get Kittle, Debo and Aiyuk the ball on play action. They've been incredibly lucky to be 2-0 imo, their luck tonight ran out... also maybe dont snap the ball with 12 seconds to go on the play clock when you're trying to avoid Rodgers having too much time. Put your best players on the field and go to work, that's it.
- Rodgers was incredible, Davonte Adams was incredible. They played really well and got hosed on a few pretty brutal calls. Didnt matter, 37 seconds left, that's about 30 seconds too much to leave Rodgers. RELAX packer fans, they're going to be alright.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Great stuff Botman
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 27, 2021, 8:26 pm Great stuff Botman
My wife thanks you for acknowledgement
She hates the NFL and now i get to spew my nonsense here instead of to her. :lol:
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Trade alert!
Jags get: TE Dan Arnold and a 3rd
Panthers get: CB CJ Henderson and a 5th.
Stoked with this trade! Traded a journeyman TE for a top 10 draft pick in the 2nd year of his rookie deal. Is Urban Meyer the new Bill O’Brien?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Only downside, Darnold pass to D. Arnold is no more
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: September 28, 2021, 12:23 am Trade alert!
Stoked with this trade! Traded a journeyman TE for a top 10 draft pick in the 2nd year of his rookie deal. Is Urban Meyer the new Bill O’Brien?
Dan Arnold is a good player. Really think he’s underrated but the upside of Henderson is too good to pass up

Interested to see how he goes at a new place, I thought he was a pretty good prospect coming out. Matt Rhule is proving to be a solid HC Imo, so he’s got a shot
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 27, 2021, 8:58 pm
Matt wrote: September 27, 2021, 8:26 pm Great stuff Botman
My wife thanks you for acknowledgement
She hates the NFL and now i get to spew my nonsense here instead of to her. :lol:
My wifes eyes glaze over when I talk footy. However, I have a son who at least is interested in the NRL
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 28, 2021, 9:05 am
the bone wrote: September 28, 2021, 12:23 am Trade alert!
Dan Arnold is a good player. Really think he’s underrated but the upside of Henderson is too good to pass up

Interested to see how he goes at a new place, I thought he was a pretty good prospect coming out. Matt Rhule is proving to be a solid HC Imo, so he’s got a shot
WOW! Interesting move.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Good luck Botman...
Ok... maybe not :P :lol:
Matt
Don Furner