The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by gerg »

Was the culture worse before, than Paine carrying on like an absolute plonk at the SCG recently?

Agree with a few others. Our tactics were woeful. I think Starc is getting blamed undeservedly. To me, his body language was terrible in the last two tests and I thought he looked unhappy with the tactics. Like red said too much short stuff.
Whether those tactics were Langer or Paine or both we will probably never know.

How long before Ponting takes over as coach?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:Was the culture worse before, than Paine carrying on like an absolute plonk at the SCG recently?
I’d say brazen cheating on top of carrying on like plonks means it was worse before.

Just haven’t fixed it properly.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:Was the culture worse before, than Paine carrying on like an absolute plonk at the SCG recently?
I’d say brazen cheating on top of carrying on like plonks means it was worse before.

Just haven’t fixed it properly.
So we're tracking to be cheating again shortly?

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They're nowhere near as **** as they used to be atm

Warner would downright abuse blokes

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:They're nowhere near as **** as they used to be atm

and he got his ass handed to him by the saffas

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: January 23, 2021, 3:24 pm They're nowhere near as **** as they used to be atm

Yep. Paine was being a bit of a dick but really wasn't that bad.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: January 23, 2021, 3:24 pm They're nowhere near as **** as they used to be atm

Yep. Paine was being a bit of a dick but really wasn't that bad.
Fair enough. Must admit that cricket completely dropped off my radar for about 4 years there.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former NRL boss Greenberg lands top cricket job: https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/cr ... 3768821f5e

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Oh dear
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Rip ACA

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ponting backing Phillipe and Inglis as the next 2 keepers to watch in all 3 formats
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:Ponting backing Phillipe and Inglis as the next 2 keepers to watch in all 3 formats
must be a complete ****

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Who will be the first to receive an eye-balling?

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

is inglis a flat track bully? 2 shield tons in big totals on the same ground?

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

bonehead wrote: January 25, 2021, 8:59 pm is inglis a flat track bully? 2 shield tons in big totals on the same ground?

Has been a solid contributor, without being spectacular for a while now. Feels a bit "Tim Paine" for my liking.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Australia has named the squads for both the 3 test tour of South Africa and the T20 series in NZ. Wade has been axed from test squad but is in T20 squad.

Test squad Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins (vc), Sean Abbott, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner

Thats a lot of players for a short tour. Ironically its shallow on batsmen and deep on bowlers. Assuming Pucovski replaces Wade in the team that leaves only Head and Henriques as back ups. Carey could also play as a bat if need but doubt he displaces anybody but Paine. Swepson the back up spinner for Lyon. That leaves a stack of bowlers to back up Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc. They have Pattinson, Abbott, Neser and Steketee to fill up the net sessions.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Wade OUT, Carey IN. Kinda a no brainer, and yet, I've never seen Carey play as a batsmen. I agree, they needed to punt on a batsmen.

Steketee getting kudos for his T20 form. Though his shield form prior was also good. Interesting that he was picked over Richardson though, who is off to NZ for the T20s.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 27, 2021, 12:25 pm Wade OUT, Carey IN. Kinda a no brainer, and yet, I've never seen Carey play as a batsmen. I agree, they needed to punt on a batsmen.

Steketee getting kudos for his T20 form. Though his shield form prior was also good. Interesting that he was picked over Richardson though, who is off to NZ for the T20s.
Steketee is more for his good form at First Class level last couple of season plus his performances against India A. His BBL form has been OK but not the level that would propel him into a test candidate. Him and Abbott won't play anyway. Pattinson and Neser probably same.

With quarantine etc we can't fly out replacements so Carey is definitely there as cover for Paine. He could play as a batsman in a pinch but expect he's behind Head and Henriques in that regard so don't expect him to play unless Paine gets hurt.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yep NR is spot on. A reserve keeper is a must so that’s what Carey is. Stele tee is picked on FC and A team form but pretty much a net bowler.

Head or Moises should bat 5. Harris should be reserve opener only.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And we need to take bulk players as they can't use locals as net bowlers in the covid bubbles

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: January 27, 2021, 2:26 pm Yep NR is spot on. A reserve keeper is a must so that’s what Carey is. Stele tee is picked on FC and A team form but pretty much a net bowler.

Head or Moises should bat 5. Harris should be reserve opener only.
100%. Pucovski should resume his spot at the top of the order although there's a school of thought that Harris will remain opener and Pucovski will bat 5. Terrible idea IMO. Harris should only be picked as a last resort. For the number 5 spot they really should give Henriques a chance. Head was dropped for a reason and that hasn't changed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: January 27, 2021, 2:29 pm And we need to take bulk players as they can't use locals as net bowlers in the covid bubbles
That would make sense.

In regards to Jhye Richardson missing out. He's coming back from a shoulder injury. They can ease him back into it via limited overs cricket. He can play a few T20s in NZ then test his fitness in the back end of the Sheffield Shield comp. I expect he'll be back in test calculations by the time our next series comes around.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 27, 2021, 2:17 pm
Matt wrote: January 27, 2021, 12:25 pm Wade OUT, Carey IN. Kinda a no brainer, and yet, I've never seen Carey play as a batsmen. I agree, they needed to punt on a batsmen.

Steketee is more for his good form at First Class level last couple of season plus his performances against India A. His BBL form has been OK but not the level that would propel him into a test candidate. Him and Abbott won't play anyway. Pattinson and Neser probably same.

With quarantine etc we can't fly out replacements so Carey is definitely there as cover for Paine. He could play as a batsman in a pinch but expect he's behind Head and Henriques in that regard so don't expect him to play unless Paine gets hurt.
I would have liked to see them take a punt on someone. A Renshaw, Labu, type punt. Even if they just carry drinks. But you're right
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 27, 2021, 8:05 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 27, 2021, 2:17 pm

I would have liked to see them take a punt on someone. A Renshaw, Labu, type punt. Even if they just carry drinks. But you're right
Yeah but I don't think there is anybody on the radar like that at the moment. Going with known commodities. See how the back end of the Sheffield Shield pans out if somebody pops up.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The only player worth that punt is Sam Whiteman at this point. He’s no spring chicken either. And given the BBL stunts all proper cricket for 2 months it’s essentially tough titties to someone like him.

Something I find very interesting is what this means for player mindset and the Sheffield shield. Australia do need to take a big squad for net bowlers. But barring injury Mark Steketee (especially him as he’d need 3/4 injuries) and Mitch Swepson get dragged around South Africa with no chance of playing while Qld finish the season without them. **** happens but I think that would hurt as a cricketer imo.

If the 2 do coincide then Qld essentially get their chance of winning wiped without their 3 main bowlers. And there’s a big chance those 3 main bowlers will do nothing but carry the drinks whilst being unavailable.

I know Covid makes things like this necessary but ends up pretty rough on certain people imo.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I'll be honest, I'm not as across the players this yr as much as normal, only the notable names. So haven't really got an idea of the youth coming through, but normally there us 1 or 2 guys to look at.

I see Fraser McGurk (spelling might be wrong) played some T20 for the Renegades this yr. How is he fairing otherwise? Coz he was that next group of youngsters behind Puc.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Jake Fraser-McGurk has only just entered the First Class scene with Victoria. Had a couple of games last season as a 17-18yo. Scored a 50 in his first go and not much in his other innings. Hasn't played for Vic this year. No question he's got talent. A bit early to make judgements though.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 28, 2021, 11:38 am Jake Fraser-McGurk has only just entered the First Class scene with Victoria. Had a couple of games last season as a 17-18yo. Scored a 50 in his first go and not much in his other innings. Hasn't played for Vic this year. No question he's got talent. A bit early to make judgements though.
Ta
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

With none of the youngsters putting their hand up to say 'pick me, pick me' I would have gone with a middle order player who has been on the scene for a while. Ashton Agar (27 years of age). Sure he is no superstar but India just showed such players can do a job for the national side. The Kiwi's have been selecting players of this ilk for yonks and it allows them to get up near the top of the rankings as long as the better players don't slide into a pit. Agar is generally solid in the field, tick one for someone like me. He bowls left arm 'spin' and we don't have anyone else who does that, tick two. He doesn't think he is Ricky Ponting and throws his wicket away as too many of our middle order do. Tick 3 for me.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: January 31, 2021, 7:30 pm With none of the youngsters putting their hand up to say 'pick me, pick me' I would have gone with a middle order player who has been on the scene for a while. Ashton Agar (27 years of age). Sure he is no superstar but India just showed such players can do a job for the national side. The Kiwi's have been selecting players of this ilk for yonks and it allows them to get up near the top of the rankings as long as the better players don't slide into a pit. Agar is generally solid in the field, tick one for someone like me. He bowls left arm 'spin' and we don't have anyone else who does that, tick two. He doesn't think he is Ricky Ponting and throws his wicket away as too many of our middle order do. Tick 3 for me.
Agar is more a spin bowler who is a handy batsman. Realistically he's not good enough to hold down a no5 or no6 spot at test level. Much better batsmen than him have failed to do so already. His future is in short form cricket. In the longer form he's below par with both bat and ball.

Also pointless bringing in an additional spin bowler when the current brains trust use Lyon almost exclusively. We spent the entire series with a capable leg spinner in Labuschagne and only gave him a handful of overs just prior to the 2nd new ball.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Agar's card has been marked as a White ball player now, particularly T20.

I doubt he will feature in tests again, he bowls too darty.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Agar isn’t good enough to play test cricket either with the bat or ball. He’s not good enough to bat higher than 8 and takes his first class wickets at over 40.

Swepson is the number 2 spinner and rightly so.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Commentators mentioned Zampa the other night. How much he's improved as a spin bowler and could be considered a Test candidate now. Being a permanent fixture in the Australian limited overs squads has meant he's hardly played Sheffield Shield cricket in recent years. His last game was November 2019. Taken 105 wickets in 38 games at 48 which is hardly inspiring.

He may get to play a few games at the back end of the season as they play right through into April this year. Would have to do something exceptional to leapfrog Swepson.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He might not even make the NSW team though tbh. He’s improved his white ball bowling but it’ll be trash in proper cricket.

Lyon
Daylight
Swepson
Forget about it and play an extra seamer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He's basically a right armed Brad Hogg

Hogg was a gun white ball bowler but rubbish in Tests/FC where bats weren't looking to attack him. Same with Zampa.

Both averaged over 40 in FC with the ball