The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Azza »

I don't think he adds much value to the side anymore. Carey anyone?

I can't see Head becoming our Captain, so it's either Cummins or Smith. Interesting times.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Im ok with this. At 37, hard to see even stop gap value in Paine anymore.

Carey and Inglis are in the A side, so hopefully this Aus vs Aus A thing becomes a real shootout. While unpopular, I like Inglis over Carey TBH.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: November 19, 2021, 4:34 pm I don't think he adds much value to the side anymore. Carey anyone?

I can't see Head becoming our Captain, so it's either Cummins or Smith. Interesting times.
The noise has been to elevate Cummins. I don't mind this if he wants to do it.

Head obviously has experience, but is struggling to hold a spot in the XI.

Smith is the obviously choice IMO, but that would require CA to deal with the sandpapergate fallout of going back to him.

Labu was the left field suggestion.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Loosebuschange as Captain. God the camera wouldn't even be able to stay still at the toss - no thanks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Yet another disappointing end for a Sporting figure. If CA knew about this why was he appointed Captain? Nothing remains a secret these days. Seriously dumb act and he would have been in his 30s at the time so no boy. What a pain....

We may see a fast bowler as a Test Captain. Pat Cummins has been groomed for the role and he has an Ashes series to learn the ropes. Labu as the VC. I don't think they will go back to Smith. Too much baggage after sandpaper gate.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

ABD has called stumps on his career
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: November 19, 2021, 5:01 pm
Azza wrote: November 19, 2021, 4:34 pm I don't think he adds much value to the side anymore. Carey anyone?

The noise has been to elevate Cummins. I don't mind this if he wants to do it.

Head obviously has experience, but is struggling to hold a spot in the XI.

Smith is the obviously choice IMO, but that would require CA to deal with the sandpapergate fallout of going back to him.

Labu was the left field suggestion.
Head is the best choice IMO. However we would need to move away from the ingrained mentality where the captain cannot be dropped. If he's not batting well enough then replace him and name a new captain. Simple as that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

For mine it has to be Pat Cummins or Steve Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah no way it's going to be Head. They probably will want a cleanskin too so I think Smith is less likely than Cummins. However I can imagine Cummins will miss matches here and there either due to injury or rest so that will make the choice of VC important.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

They’ll name Cummins as captain but Smith will run the team from first slip. Heads no chance, you can’t have a captain that struggles to make the team.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pick your best team then name a captain. Don't pick a captain then name a team around them.

The role of Australian Test Captain has been severely diminished since Langer became coach. He dictates just about everything.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 20, 2021, 11:00 am Pick your best team then name a captain. Don't pick a captain then name a team around them.

The role of Australian Test Captain has been severely diminished since Langer became coach. He dictates just about everything.
Cummins makes the best team.
If he is capable, then why not?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

How about Marnus ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The problem with Cummins is that making him captain puts a hell of a lot of pressure on a fast bowler who has had severe injury concerns I'm his past. They probably need to ignore that though and just name him.

The most interesting thing is who replaces Paine. His position is untenable without the captaincy. Carey and Inglis the front runners. Peirson is the form keeper bat. I've always been a bit sketchy on Carey but I think what he did in the 50 over world cup carries weight and should be given a crack at it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

It always felt like the captaincy would go back to Smith once the furore over Sandpaper-gate died down. Now is the perfect opportunity to give it back to him.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I feel for Paine and I question why/how this all comes out 4 years after the fact and after it had been dealt with. However, I know think it’s time to move him on.

My line up at this stage would be:

Warner
Renshaw
Labuschange
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Cummins (c)
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

12th Richardson

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah I can't see what Paine adds to the team anymore tbh.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

the bone wrote:It always felt like the captaincy would go back to Smith once the furore over Sandpaper-gate died down. Now is the perfect opportunity to give it back to him.
I think if Paine had stepped down in 'natural' circumstances - ie. no controversy, they could go back to him... but to replace Paine (who replaced Smith in controversial circumstances) with Smith is not going to go down well.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Dusty wrote: November 21, 2021, 12:46 pm I feel for Paine and I question why/how this all comes out 4 years after the fact and after it had been dealt with. However, I know think it’s time to move him on.

Warner
Renshaw
Labuschange
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Cummins (c)
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

12th Richardson

Renshaw hasn't been opening in any form for a while now.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

julian87 wrote:
Dusty wrote: November 21, 2021, 12:46 pm I feel for Paine and I question why/how this all comes out 4 years after the fact and after it had been dealt with. However, I know think it’s time to move him on.

Warner
Renshaw
Labuschange
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Cummins (c)
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

12th Richardson

Correct.

He was unfairly punted from the role. I think he deserves a shot.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

No way Renshaw will get picked ahead of Khawaja or Harris ... I mean yeah, he isn't even in the squad stating the obvious. Still, he did show more than Harris on the international stage...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dusty wrote: November 21, 2021, 5:06 pm
julian87 wrote:

Warner
Renshaw
Labuschange
Smith
Head
Green
Inglis
Cummins (c)
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

12th Richardson

Correct.

He was unfairly punted from the role. I think he deserves a shot.

Agree Renshaw was prematurely cut from the test squad. Thing is his form as an opener fell off a cliff after that. He only started scoring runs again when he shifted to no6. Now way he gets pitched into an opening role on recall.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

gergreg wrote: November 21, 2021, 1:21 pm
the bone wrote:It always felt like the captaincy would go back to Smith once the furore over Sandpaper-gate died down. Now is the perfect opportunity to give it back to him.
I think if Paine had stepped down in 'natural' circumstances - ie. no controversy, they could go back to him... but to replace Paine (who replaced Smith in controversial circumstances) with Smith is not going to go down well.
The two controversies were completely different. Sandpapergate was over 3.5 years ago, it’s time to get over it. Give the C back to Smitty!
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

With the high cost of building materials like Sandpaper, the Australian captain needs to be someone with a solid IPL contract.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/tim-pa ... ocial-WWOS

I have Inglis at the top of my list, then Carey. However, I wouldn't object to throwing Phillipe in the deep end.

I think its telling that all our keeper batsmen options avg 32-34 in red ball cricket though. 🏏

PS. The WA keeper who gave the gloves away scored 170* odd today. Sam Whiteman
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: November 21, 2021, 10:25 pm
The two controversies were completely different. Sandpapergate was over 3.5 years ago, it’s time to get over it. Give the C back to Smitty!
Add to that Smith wasn't directly involved. His was a failure of leadership. He's copped enough punishment for what he did (or didn't do).
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/tim-pa ... ocial-WWOS

I have Inglis at the top of my list, then Carey. However, I wouldn't object to throwing Phillipe in the deep end.

I think its telling that all our keeper batsmen options avg 32-34 in red ball cricket though. Image

I haven't watched Inglis this season but I thought his numbers were inflated last year on 2 tons on roads with big scores already on the board.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 22, 2021, 6:56 pm https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/tim-pa ... ocial-WWOS

I think its telling that all our keeper batsmen options avg 32-34 in red ball cricket though. 🏏

Why would you take Philippe over Inglis?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
the bone wrote: November 21, 2021, 10:25 pm
Add to that Smith wasn't directly involved. His was a failure of leadership. He's copped enough punishment for what he did (or didn't do).
I think Smith is the best person for the job and let's face it, it's tough to lead a team from fine leg or third man - as Cummins would be doing.

But the optics of having 3 consecutive captains shrouded in controversy are not good at all. Cricket Australia would be crazy to appoint Smith as captain.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Steve Smith should never have been sacked. Put him back in.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 22, 2021, 7:50 pm
Matt wrote: November 22, 2021, 6:56 pm https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/tim-pa ... ocial-WWOS

Younger.
Talented ball striker.
Seems to be maturing a bit with his cricket.
Its a punt.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 22, 2021, 8:14 pm
Northern Raider wrote: November 22, 2021, 7:50 pm

Younger.
Talented ball striker.
Seems to be maturing a bit with his cricket.
Its a punt.
24 vs 26 is hardly a significant age difference that justifies taking a punt. Personally I'd wait till Philippe can show he's worthy of selection in the WA team ahead of Inglis before catapulting him into the Test team.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: November 22, 2021, 8:11 pm Steve Smith should never have been sacked. Put him back in.
Yes he should have. But I'd be fine with him being captain now, although I don't think that will happen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No he shouldn’t.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m looking forward to the Summer of Smudge.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: