NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Pittsburg limp home in OT, when they had it won very early.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 18, 2021, 1:31 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 18, 2021, 11:08 am What a horror show this season is turning out for us Dolphins fans. 10-6 last year with a young team showing a ton of promise has regressed dramatically. Blown yet another game they should have won. Could/should be 3-3 instead of 1-5. It's the antithesis of last season where they were pulling wins out of the bag when they were looking like losing. Now they manage to break the Jags 20 game losing streak. This game was on ESPN so I managed to watch every painful minute.

I have completely re-evaulated season goals. It is now to finish ahead of the 49ers because we traded our own first round pick and kept theirs.
Where are you at on a scale of 1-10 with Tua?

1 - He's a franchise QB, it's everything around him that's wrong
10 - Get him the **** out of here, he stinks
Can I say 4-6... still on the fence, but by seasons end we'll probably know
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: October 18, 2021, 11:08 am What a horror show this season is turning out for us Dolphins fans. 10-6 last year with a young team showing a ton of promise has regressed dramatically. Blown yet another game they should have won. Could/should be 3-3 instead of 1-5. It's the antithesis of last season where they were pulling wins out of the bag when they were looking like losing. Now they manage to break the Jags 20 game losing streak. This game was on ESPN so I managed to watch every painful minute.

I have completely re-evaulated season goals. It is now to finish ahead of the 49ers because we traded our own first round pick and kept theirs.

Sample size is too small at the moment so my assessment would be very conservative. On what I've seen I'd give him a 6-7 with potential to shift either way. Coming of a serious injury in his rookie year he did a pretty good job. Started this year and injured again. That's obviously the biggest red flag right now.

Today he was very good, although the intercept was an error in his mechanics. Other than that he did what he could to get a win. Maybe that's where he's at and always will be at. A solid QB who does a good job without beign that next level match winner. If that's the case you need to put the pieces in place around him and right now the Dolphins don't have those pieces.

The focus always seems to be on Tua, which I don't agree with. IMO the teams failures this season are squarely at the feet of coaches and management. There's a long list of contributing factors so I won't bore you with details. It really all comes back to Flores and Grier as this the result of what they've built.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: October 18, 2021, 2:05 pm Pittsburg limp home in OT, when they had it won very early.
They were never really in control of the game though. Seahawks were always in the hunt and only needed those one or two good drives to get back into it. My biggest shock was seeing Geno Smith starting. I didn't even know he was still on and NFL roster. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: October 18, 2021, 4:54 pm

Sample size is too small at the moment so my assessment would be very conservative. On what I've seen I'd give him a 6-7 with potential to shift either way. Coming of a serious injury in his rookie year he did a pretty good job. Started this year and injured again. That's obviously the biggest red flag right now.

Today he was very good, although the intercept was an error in his mechanics. Other than that he did what he could to get a win. Maybe that's where he's at and always will be at. A solid QB who does a good job without beign that next level match winner. If that's the case you need to put the pieces in place around him and right now the Dolphins don't have those pieces.

The focus always seems to be on Tua, which I don't agree with. IMO the teams failures this season are squarely at the feet of coaches and management. There's a long list of contributing factors so I won't bore you with details. It really all comes back to Flores and Grier as this the result of what they've built.
Interesting
I watch red zone and follow the league closely but I don’t follow every time like my own was I was curious to get some insight into a fans position
I think I mostly agree, I’m not seeing a lot from Tua that says he can’t play, just doesn’t seem to be a team who does things consistently well but the injuries from Tua and not yet showing he’s the type of transcendent player who can overcome is a touch concerning

I’ll say this though, jalen waddle is a player
He’s so stinking good already.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BURN!!!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 18, 2021, 4:57 pm
Matt wrote: October 18, 2021, 2:05 pm Pittsburg limp home in OT, when they had it won very early.
They were never really in control of the game though. Seahawks were always in the hunt and only needed those one or two good drives to get back into it. My biggest shock was seeing Geno Smith starting. I didn't even know he was still on and NFL roster. :lol:
I thought Steelers look good early. And Seattle looked clueless in the 1st quarter and a bit.
Watt came to play in the 2nd half.
I wasn't convinced by Geno or the Seahawks. Collins might be better than Carson though.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 18, 2021, 5:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 18, 2021, 4:54 pm

Interesting
I watch red zone and follow the league closely but I don’t follow every time like my own was I was curious to get some insight into a fans position
I think I mostly agree, I’m not seeing a lot from Tua that says he can’t play, just doesn’t seem to be a team who does things consistently well but the injuries from Tua and not yet showing he’s the type of transcendent player who can overcome is a touch concerning

I’ll say this though, jalen waddle is a player
He’s so stinking good already.
Not as good as Chase, but yeah, Waddle can play
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Botman, do u ever go back and look at a draft class or position and check your theories a yr or 2 later?

Wondering what your thoughts are on the 2020 WRs now vs draft day/wk???
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Monday Wrap up

- Already spoken a bit about Maimi, didnt see much of the game but losing to the jags is not good. Really like Waddle, not quite out on Tua yet but there is some concerns. These are troubling times.
- Jags finally get a win and im happy for Lawrence. Again haven't seen much of this game but what i did see (caught the final 5 minutes waiting for red zone) he is really starting to find his feet. Really excited for him to get with a real offence and coaching staff.

- Dont let this score line fool you, this was not a great performance by KC. Mahomes continues to making some baffling decisions. Reminds me of Texas Tech Mahomes, but i remain convinced they'll figure that out. But im very concerned about their SB hopes.
- WFT absolutely stink. Enough already, Offensively they can only do so much with Heinicke but where is Chase Young? Where is Montez Sweat? Jamin Davis finally flashed a little bit today after getting very few snaps... This defence was suppose to be special. Riverboat Ron needs to sort it the **** out.

- LA Rams waffle stomped the Giants. Wasn't close and never looked close. When this offence is rolling it really looks unstoppable. They're finding a good balance of feeding Kupp and still keeping Woods and the others in the mix. Cant help but think they'll be found out when the play offs come around though.
- Danny Dimes turned back into a pumpkin. He had a good few weeks, but this is what worries you. Just irresponsible QB play from him today. Kadarius Toney looks a big draft miss for me, wasn't a huge fan but he looks dynamic... though he went off injured again today.

- Carson Watch: Played REALLY well today, the colts are going to be 1 game back after the Bills hammer the Titooons tomorrow. And Wentz is now 6/13 towards another eagles first :D... seriously though he looks much improved, as i sort of expected, and Jono Taylor is pretty legit.
- Not much to be said about the Texans, they dont have a QB of the future on roster, Mills isnt it but he tries hard. Will be a solid back up in the league. They continue to try hard but the talent disparity is starting to take its toll now the excitement of a new season has suprassed them.

- The bengals need to stop winning games so their coaching staff can get fired into the sun and they can get a real offensive staff in here. The offense is legit good. Mixon, Burrow, Chase... just a really FUN trio who can do special things.
- The Fightin Dans are a bit like the Texans.. the enthusiam is starting to wane now as the loses stack up, just not talented enough. Dan Campbell really sort of bussed Goff today, and rightly so. So that's a situation that bares monitoring. Really dont think Goff is the starter this time next year.

- Packers got a slightly scrappy win but never really felt threatened imo. I was interested in Rodgers really going at Bears fans... felt like a thing you do when you know it's the last time you play in Soldier Field. A fitting send off. He has and continues to own the Bears.
- Bears d makes things interesting and Fields has his moments but it's growing pains at the moment and that's just how you've got to view it. The new regime that is SURELY coming for the Bears, GM and Coaching staff next year will be very interesting.

- Real statement performance from the Ravens. They ran the ball with impunity, they dominated on both lines of scrimage and Lamar was just able to sit back for the most part and do his bit. This is one that will have AFC teams sitting uncomfortably in their chairs tonight.
- Im basically willing to write this one off as a bad game for the chargers, they've been so good all year and nothing worked for them today. Herbert was off, the defence was monstered. Not going to worry. They're a good team who had a bad day.

- This vikings team upsets me greatly. Just feels like a team who deosnt really know what they want to be. Zimmer has the defence mostly performing well, but the offence goes into deep slumbers for a long time, and i get that you have Dalvin Cook and he's awesome, but Theilen and Jefferson are also awesome. Just lean into it. You dont have to be a dour offence 75% of the game. I actually hate them.
- Similar thoughts about the Panthers, its clear to me now that this whole thing doesnt work without CMC. The jury is starting to come in on Darnold, and it's not looking great. I think they're going to do something wild this off season to figure that out. Tepper wont tolerate this.

- I've been hestitant to really buy in on the Cards as a proper contender so far and im still sort of feeling like they're going to faulter down the stretch, but whooo boy this is getting spicy. The defence is the surprising part, they're playing really well and Kyler is just unreal.
- Big ol stinky egg laid by the Brownies and it happens all to often, this Baker Mayfield sitiation is reminding me a lot of the Goff situation... its all smoke and mirrors with the play calling and QB play. He's not ever going to be good enough to get them to the top, despite everything else around him being pretty good... but what do you do? Who can you get who's better? REALLY fascinating situation to see what they do going forward

- What a performance by the Raiders coming off a very big week. I thought the offence looked really good, a lot more play action, Maxx Crosby playing like his hair was on fire. They never looked like losing... Quietly, Henry Ruggs is transforming into a real weapon.
- Probably Teddy B's worst game of the year. His numbers will look OK but he missed a lot of key throws, including an easy TD to Sutton which could have given them a chance to steal this game. Surtain II is playing amazing football but he's not getting a lot of help.

- Cowboys are rolling and Dak is playing as good as any QB in the league. And he has to becasue his HC continues to put obstictles in front of him. I cant trust this coaching staff in the big moments, not with Beave's finger on the trigger. They're a really good team offensively, the defence will be in trouble when the turn over luck runs out, but mark my words, Kellen Moore is the HC of this team in 2022... or he's someone elses.
- Really solid performance and frankly should have won the game. BB didnt trust Mac, the Pick 6 is a tip drill but the WR was clean open. He turtled up and it probably cost them. There is a lot to like about Mac, but this is now a lost season for the Pats, open it up and let Mac learn his lessons.

- Seattle and Pitt im going to lump into the same. This game was terrible. I hated every moment of it. Such a terrible game. Neither QB could really operate. I didnt even really watch OT because i couldnt give a ****. Both of these teams need to get out of my life. My key takeaway is Najee Harris with a good offence would be an absolute monster. That's it. The time is yours on the rest.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: October 18, 2021, 7:32 pm @Botman, do u ever go back and look at a draft class or position and check your theories a yr or 2 later?

I dont really do it as a matter of habit, but i do it out of interest, just a self evalation of where i got it wrong or right and why sort of thing
From memory WR class:

- I had Lamb as my favourite WR of the class and i think that's held up pretty well. He's a stud. Should be an eagle. Alas...
- I really like Juedy and thought he was the "best" though not my favourite WR in the draft, and i think prior to the injury he was showing what sort of game changer he was. Feel good about that eval
- I was interested in Ruggs but think he was firmly behind those two. I'd still have it that way but you can see why he was the first WR taken given what he can do to defences in a Tyreek Hill way.
- I remember being very high on Jefferson but stupidly buying into the slot reciever narrative... so mark that one down as a loss. I think at this stage, in a redraft he'd go first ahead of Lamb... but i was pretty interesting in all 4 of those guys and i think they're all going to be good.

- I did the dumb fan thing and talked myself into Reagor, despite not being a huge fan because my team grabbed him and we needed speed. He's fine, he'll be a role player... but there is a reason they drafted Smith a year later.

For some idiot in Canberra, i think i went alright.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Agreed @Botman, Lawerance is gonna be legit, but needs a heap of help on and off the pitch in the personal department.

Homeboi was almost diabolical today. He did some really dumb shot. You can forgive the Hill INT, its a dropped pass, the 2nd one is a bad pass, but the weird loopy one?!?!... Dumb!

WFT and Giants STINK! Toney is good, but looks baitable. I'll be honest, I hadn't seen much of him til the past few wks. Looks good.

Rams are gonna be there when the whips are cracking. Can Stafford get them over the line?

Texans stink, but they knew that.
Colts are ok today. Was nice to see TY, but Taylor is very good.

Lions are losing their pluck.
Mixon and Chase are legit, Burrows might be there to assist with the ride.

Best this going for the Packers, the coming of Dillion. We've seen ARod, Adams and Jones.
Bears aren't good, and Fields has a long way to go. I like Kahlil Herbert though.

Agree RE Ravens vs Chargers.

Agree RE Vikings, they should put up big numbers on Offence.
Panthers hung around, but given the errors, they probably shouldn't have. I think Darnold has proven this yr he that he can play, but you can't blame all his previous misgivings on Jets.

Cards have big moment players. Big play ability. Very explosive.
People say Cowboys can only win 1 way, well, Browns should be painted with the same brush. You can argue there is some very similar personal comparisons, but Mayfield is yet to mature.

Raiders were always going to bounce this wk. Ruggs 1st yr vs 2nd is light years apart.
I like the Patrick's too.

Yes, Harris is being held back. Claypool deserves a better QB.
Geno is Geno.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 18, 2021, 7:52 pm
Matt wrote: October 18, 2021, 7:32 pm @Botman, do u ever go back and look at a draft class or position and check your theories a yr or 2 later?

I dont really do it as a matter of habit, but i do it out of interest, just a self evalation of where i got it wrong or right and why sort of thing
From memory WR class:

- I had Lamb as my favourite WR of the class and i think that's held up pretty well. He's a stud. Should be an eagle. Alas...
- I really like Juedy and thought he was the "best" though not my favourite WR in the draft, and i think prior to the injury he was showing what sort of game changer he was. Feel good about that eval
- I was interested in Ruggs but think he was firmly behind those two. I'd still have it that way but you can see why he was the first WR taken given what he can do to defences in a Tyreek Hill way.
- I remember being very high on Jefferson but stupidly buying into the slot reciever narrative... so mark that one down as a loss. I think at this stage, in a redraft he'd go first ahead of Lamb... but i was pretty interesting in all 4 of those guys and i think they're all going to be good.

- I did the dumb fan thing and talked myself into Reagor, despite not being a huge fan because my team grabbed him and we needed speed. He's fine, he'll be a role player... but there is a reason they drafted Smith a year later.

For some idiot in Canberra, i think i went alright.
I think you hit on those guys too.
It's very very early, but what's your feel on this yrs WRs?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Early doors but

Thought Ja'Marr Chase was a superstar, he is.
Thought Davonta Smith's route running would translate, and it does, my mild concerns about his size is proving to be a non factor. Dude gets open, QB cant hit him for a lick.
Thought Waddle's explosive traits would translate. They do.
LOVED Bateman... its one game but man i was excited by a bit of what i saw today
Thought Terrance Marshall Jr had a lot of big play talent, still think that, and think he's shown a lot of flashes of that
Really liked Amon-Ra St. Brown as a legit slot option in the league, i think he's going to be that.
Liked Rondale Moores big play ability, its there

Was not a fan of Toney... that's not looking great. He looks very dynamic. Legit

I loved the class, think i called it the deepest WR class i've ever seen, thought it went 10-12 deep of legit players. I think that's proving to be true
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Have to say the cowboys pats game was cathartic for eagles fans

Jalen Mills getting burned by a game ending touch down and Agholar dropping a game winning touchdown

It’s much funnier when these things happen to the pats then my eagles :lol:
Last edited by Botman on October 19, 2021, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: October 18, 2021, 7:38 pm
- Jags finally get a win and im happy for Lawrence. Again haven't seen much of this game but what i did see (caught the final 5 minutes waiting for red zone) he is really starting to find his feet. Really excited for him to get with a real offence and coaching staff.
It was my first good look at Lawrence. The ability is there for all to see. Just a matter of learning to be a QB at NFL level, which is the same for all rookies. Needs a bit more poise as he adjusts to a more complex game. Guys like Burrow and Herbert looked to have this from the get go. Lawrence is taking a bit more time. Admittedly he's in a very ordinary team.

Similarly with Tua in that game. I thought he looked a little frantic on occasions when he had more time than it appeared. I put that down to some psychological scars of playing with sore ribs and memories of the tissue paper O-line that caused the injury. His protection was much improved yesterday. Hopefully he takes confidence from the game and has another good outing in a winnable game against the Falcons.
Last edited by Northern Raider on October 19, 2021, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: October 19, 2021, 6:26 am Have to say the cowboys pats game was cathartic for eagles fans

Jalen Mills getting burned by a game ending touch down and Agholar dropping a game winning touchdown

They are getting hammered on Cowboys twitter too
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: October 19, 2021, 6:26 am Have to say the cowboys pats game was cathartic for eagles fans

I didn't see the game so not sure of the context. On that photo I'm seeing a 1st down around the Patriots 40. What was the impact ?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 19, 2021, 8:20 am

I didn't see the game so not sure of the context. On that photo I'm seeing a 1st down around the Patriots 40. What was the impact ?
In OT driving for the W
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: October 19, 2021, 8:28 am

In OT driving for the W
I checked the drive recap. Next play was a 14 yard pass and 1st down at the NE 39 yard line. I'm not seeing any real impact.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's got one man to beat, can go left or right with it, with a ton of room on either side of the hashes, and Agholor for all his faults is excellent in open space and has great speed...
It's an objectively good walk off touch down opportunity, maybe he does get tackled, but you cant put those opportunities on the ground. You just cant. At the very least, thats an explosive play that substantially enhances their chances of winning

But that's what Agholar does. He drops potential game changing plays
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

How many more Cardinals wins before Larry Fitzgerald makes a comeback as a veteran 7th string WR
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: October 19, 2021, 9:48 am

He's got one man to beat, can go left or right with it, with a ton of room on either side of the hashes, and Agholor for all his faults is excellent in open space and has great speed...
It's an objectively good walk off touch down opportunity, maybe he does get tackled, but you cant put those opportunities on the ground. You just cant. At the very least, thats an explosive play that substantially enhances their chances of winning

But that's what Agholar does. He drops potential game changing plays
I know Agholor may have been able to beat the safety and may have also gotten away from the slot corner on his heels. Classic "what if" situation of which there are 50 per match. Most likely outcome was the safety pushes up and tackles him, or at least slows him enough so the corner can make the stop. In which case it's 1st and 10 around the 40. Exactly where they were after the next play. I'm not excusing the drop. Just saying the impact is being a little over stated in this Tweet.

P.S. I'm more than happy for the Nelson Agholor bashing to occur. :thumbsup
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bah... logic be damned
Nelly dropped the game and Mills surrendered it, and none of that happened in an eagles jersey... you cant take that away from me :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This im not expecting to be a very good game, unless you like seeing the Bills drop a hammer
Thinking the Bills run away with this by 2-3 tds
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: October 19, 2021, 10:26 am This im not expecting to be a very good game, unless you like seeing the Bills drop a hammer
Thinking the Bills run away with this by 2-3 tds
On current form yes. Titans can step up though. A couple of AFC playoff teams going head to head. Should be a good one.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Derrick Henry all the way!!!! Titans couldn't get the ball past the markers before that play.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: October 19, 2021, 11:07 am Derrick Henry all the way!!!! Titans couldn't get the ball past the markers before that play.
that 1 play pretty likely sinks my multi.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Titans make a real game of this.
Hope that continues
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Titans D has been on point all half right until that TD. Gave Allen a free shot at a wide open receiver in the end zone.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Titans didnt get the memo's:
1) you cant run on Bills
2) Bills with route you
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:Titans didnt get the memo's:
1) you cant run on Bills
2) Bills with route you
But all Titans have got is 'the run', isn't it?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: October 19, 2021, 12:27 pm Titans didnt get the memo's:
1) you cant run on Bills
2) Bills with route you
There's rushing TD no3. Lucky they ignored the memo.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

DERRICK HENRY IS A GROWN MAN!!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

WOW. Massive call to give up the 3 points and go for the win. Titans hold.