NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Back to the future for Panthers. Signed Cam Newton on 1 year deal worth $10m. Looks like he's their starter for the rest of the year, even if Darnold does return early from shoulder injury.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: November 12, 2021, 9:23 am Back to the future for Panthers. Signed Cam Newton on 1 year deal worth $10m. Looks like he's their starter for the rest of the year, even if Darnold does return early from shoulder injury.
Yeah, that's not back up money he's being paid
The Darnold experiment is very clearly over
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: November 12, 2021, 9:39 am
Northern Raider wrote: November 12, 2021, 9:23 am Back to the future for Panthers. Signed Cam Newton on 1 year deal worth $10m. Looks like he's their starter for the rest of the year, even if Darnold does return early from shoulder injury.
Plus they will obviously be on the market for a new QB for 2022. Lets see if they have a serious tilt at the top tier ones likely to be available (Rodgers, Wilson, Watson) or yet another project.

Thinking further we're going to see a red hot QB market for next season. Not only the teams who don't have a quality starter, you also have those like Bucs and Steelers who will need to move on from their established QB. Realistically there are very few teams settled in that position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Von, now OBJ, Rams are 100% trying to buy some silverware.

Love that Cam came back. Darnold will now be a career backup.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: November 12, 2021, 10:32 am
Plus they will obviously be on the market for a new QB for 2022. Lets see if they have a serious tilt at the top tier ones likely to be available (Rodgers, Wilson, Watson) or yet another project.

Thinking further we're going to see a red hot QB market for next season. Not only the teams who don't have a quality starter, you also have those like Bucs and Steelers who will need to move on from their established QB. Realistically there are very few teams settled in that position.
Yeah im really interested in the QB market this year.
Running down the NFL standings the none of the following teams having a new starting QB next year would surprise me

Dolphins, Browns? Steelers, Texans, Raiders, Broncos, Eagles, WFT, Packers, Vikings?, Lions, Bucs?, Saints, Panthers, Seahawks

Obviously Watson, Wilson and Rodgers will fill 3 of those spots... and GB have their "answer" internally for now. And i dont think there is much chance Rodgers is there in 2022. Wilson i think ends up staying in Seattle but there is a lot of smoke around that situation. Watson will be somewhere else next year for sure.

There is some question marks in there
Cousins would land on his feet somewhere, if the Vikings do just eat that cap and move on which i think is unlikely but it really wouldnt shock me if they just eat the money and move on. I think we're at that point with the vikings
the browns are probably going to run it back with Baker on the 5th year option next year, but if he just flat out stinks and sinks their play off chances, they might talk themselves into a Cousins/Teddy B/Jimmy G style player
I dont think Tom Brady retires this year, but at this point he's one serious injury away or another SB ring and his wife finally convincing him enough is enough from just pulling the plug, so i think they're always on these lists now

It's really gonna be a fascinating off season for the QBs... it worries me a lot with my eagles. That's a lot of teams and we're not exactly the most desirable spot right now
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Pumped to have Cam back. Perfect match… the rest of the season would’ve been borderline unwatchable with Darnold, let alone PJ Walker. They swung and missed on Darnold. I was optimistic it would work, but Darnold really stinks.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 12, 2021, 11:08 am
Northern Raider wrote: November 12, 2021, 10:32 am

Yeah im really interested in the QB market this year.
Running down the NFL standings the none of the following teams having a new starting QB next year would surprise me

Dolphins, Browns? Steelers, Texans, Raiders, Broncos, Eagles, WFT, Packers, Vikings?, Lions, Bucs?, Saints, Panthers, Seahawks

Obviously Watson, Wilson and Rodgers will fill 3 of those spots... and GB have their "answer" internally for now. And i dont think there is much chance Rodgers is there in 2022. Wilson i think ends up staying in Seattle but there is a lot of smoke around that situation. Watson will be somewhere else next year for sure.

There is some question marks in there
Cousins would land on his feet somewhere, if the Vikings do just eat that cap and move on which i think is unlikely but it really wouldnt shock me if they just eat the money and move on. I think we're at that point with the vikings
the browns are probably going to run it back with Baker on the 5th year option next year, but if he just flat out stinks and sinks their play off chances, they might talk themselves into a Cousins/Teddy B/Jimmy G style player
I dont think Tom Brady retires this year, but at this point he's one serious injury away or another SB ring and his wife finally convincing him enough is enough from just pulling the plug, so i think they're always on these lists now

It's really gonna be a fascinating off season for the QBs... it worries me a lot with my eagles. That's a lot of teams and we're not exactly the most desirable spot right now
Thats half the market. Far out!
TBF, I think half the QBs are in the league ATM, and its just going to be a massive reshuffle.
Phins (as usual), Texans, WFT, Eagles? (esp with multiple 1sts), Lions will be at the top of the draft board, and as such will get 1st dibs on the new batch.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Ravens 3 - Phins 6 at the half. Both teams struggling to move the ball.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 12, 2021, 12:48 pm Ravens 3 - Phins 6 at the half. Both teams struggling to move the ball.
Ravens play down to their opposition, then win on the last drive. So, its all going to script ATM.
Phins playing their wildcard... Tua is in for a series.... which didnt last long.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ravens finally make a simple play to beat the blitz and its cost them 6.
Well, they are well down now, so is it Lamar time?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This game absolutely stinks
The best thing was the illegal touch ol screen haah
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 12, 2021, 2:04 pm This game absolutely stinks
The best thing was the illegal touch ol screen haah
I wanted it to stand. It was glorious!!!
Kudos to the CB whole stuck his nose in there too.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

And Ravens, with 2 roughing the passer calls, are now down 5, with 4.12 to go
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Tua is dancing. Phins are gonna win it
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Not a pretty game by any stretch. Massive credit to Phin's D for shutting down Lamar and co. Not every game needs to be a shoot out.

Ultimate irony is this goes in the W column for Jacoby Brissett as starter. Before he left the field it looked like an audition for the NFLs worst QB.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i thought Tua gave the offence a pretty big lift, but this game was won by the Phins on defence
they were absolutely flying around in the secondary making big time plays and the pressure packages cooked by by Flores just destroyed the Ravens.
Flores kind of needed a game like that to remind people he's a good HC. They just need to get it all together.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dolphins biggest problem is having the worst O-Line in the NFL. This is after 3 years of building too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: November 12, 2021, 9:00 pm Dolphins biggest problem is having the worst O-Line in the NFL. This is after 3 years of building too.
yeah its a real problem, not because it's bad, but because of the invest they've put into it and it's still bad
reminds me a bit of the eagles WR group, they've gone in and in and in again, and all they've got to show for it is 1 dude (Smith) who can play, the rest just arent difference makers

the dolphins have sunk a lot of resources into that posisiton group and Liam Eichenberg is showing SOME signs of promise but it's VERY grim
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: November 12, 2021, 9:14 pm
Northern Raider wrote: November 12, 2021, 9:00 pm Dolphins biggest problem is having the worst O-Line in the NFL. This is after 3 years of building too.
yeah its a real problem, not because it's bad, but because of the invest they've put into it and it's still bad
reminds me a bit of the eagles WR group, they've gone in and in and in again, and all they've got to show for it is 1 dude (Smith) who can play, the rest just arent difference makers

the dolphins have sunk a lot of resources into that posisiton group and Liam Eichenberg is showing SOME signs of promise but it's VERY grim
Eichenberg is about the only guy you would keep on the roster for next year. For no other reason than he's a rookie and needs to be given a chance. The rest can move on or slide down the depth chart. They've tried rebuilding through the draft and failed dismally. Time to bring in some veteran FAs. Don't need pro-bowlers. Adequate starters would be sufficient to upgrade the group.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Woods torn ACL.
Well... there's a good reason to sign OBJ.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

@Botman,
Is Big Ben injured? COVID?
OR...
Has Steelers dropped him for Rudolf???
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Seems Big Ben is on COVID
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Only 1 way to get a Pitt. You gotta DIGG!!! BOOM!!!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cowboys 1st stringers having an early night. Still 12mins left. Haha.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

At home with a sick child today. Hoping to see the Raiders put up a fight vs KC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Quez Watkins with a brutal drop right on halftime! Eagles settle for a FG, lead 20-10 with 5 seconds left before halftime
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: November 15, 2021, 8:51 am Quez Watkins with a brutal drop right on halftime! Eagles settle for a FG, lead 20-10 with 5 seconds left before halftime
Sickening.
You dont get throws like that from Hurts very often, absolute dime... cant let them go to waste

My boy Davonta Smith is absolutely tearing it up though
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

This is really how the eagles have to play with Hurts
They need to lean heavy on the play action early, hope Hurts can deliver accurately for long enough to get a 2 score lead and then just pound the rock and control the tempo

Perfect game script... it'll play against a lot of teams, its at least a competent and professional plan, but it cant go far in the play off race. Which is why they need a QB who can play other ways
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 15, 2021, 10:23 am This is really how the eagles have to play with Hurts
They need to lean heavy on the play action early, hope Hurts can deliver accurately for long enough to get a 2 score lead and then just pound the rock and control the tempo

Perfect game script... it'll play against a lot of teams, its at least a competent and professional plan, but it cant go far in the play off race. Which is why they need a QB who can play other ways
Eagles have 2 choices...
1. A QB
2. A badass D that can win by themselves
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I know that was the Falcons, but we dropped a hammer in that 1st half.

Moved the ball at will - Dak avged over 10yds a completion today. Falcons sold out to stop the run and got killed for it. CD and Coop were always open. Then Pollard ran on them late.

Our CBs all got an INT - they have 13 of Cowboys 14 this yr. Diggs must be well in the conversation for DPOY with 8 picks in 8 games (Howard had 10 last yr). Lucky or not, that's 8 balls.

No DEs... no dramas, Armstrong and Parsons will cause havoc.

Quinn gets his revenge.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

And just like that the Chiefs are back in first place. Chargers in their downward slide now
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Mahomes is shredding the Raiders. KC offense has come alive after a few sub par performances.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Monday Round Up

- Eagles thoughts are above, but the frustrating thing about this game is Hurts showed some ability to pass and Smith is a bonafided star, he's been uncoverable all year, its good to finally see him get the rewards for that. The catch over Surtain was spectacular.
- The Broncos were beaten down this game much the way they did some beating last week. This is just sort of the team they are, week to week you're not going to know which team shows up.

- The jets stink bombs continue to pile up, this time White Mike turned back into a pumpkin. They're banged up and not very talented but you'd have to have alarm bells ringing given the lack of defensive intensity and identity. Offensively, the back end of this year is going to be important for Zach Wilson, you want to see some progression.
- Not a lot to say about the Bills, they rolled and did it pretty easy. I will say for them it was good to see Diggs be featured in the offence, they'll need that to continue to get where they want to go. Think Matt Breida gave that running game something, think they should give him more run there

- Very odd performance from the Bucs and particular Tom Brady who looked miserable. Brady and these Bucs seem to have a game like this in them but they're usually good enough to win. Today they were out played and out coached. Not ideal coming off a bye. But im sure they'll be fine.
- Really good performance from WFT. They came in with a really good plan and executed quite well. Chase Young is out for the year and that's a real shame, he was starting to heat up. This is the type of performance that might convince WFT that Heineke can be the guy. He can't.

- The Falcons came in here with high hopes and absolutely got steam rolled. Think a few things went against them early in this game and it all snowballed very quickly against a team who was determined to have a bounce back game. Bury the tape game
- Cowboys had to have this kind of performance to just cleanse the palate after that broncos game. They fired on all cylinders and put the doubts about them to bed, for now we can probably assume that was an outlier.

- The titans survive and but this was not a great performance given what the Saints offence is without a real QB and no AK. They were lucky to survive too. This team is one im really struggling to buy into. Without Julio now for at least 3 weeks.
- Really impressed with the offensive plan from the Saints, they hung in this game and could have won and maybe should have if not for a very bad roughing call to negate a red zone INT and a bad penalty on the 2 point to tie it up. They will need a QB though. And this is an aggressive org... very curious to see what they do.

- Jags defence is really making improvements. They're stringing some games together now and being competitive. They need to invest in some real help for Lawrence, he's throwing to a return man who is failed on multiple rosters as his key guy. Etienne coming back next year would help.
- Wentz Watch: Another full game of full snaps and the colts are in the wildcard race. 3 games to go to secure the first. LFG.
But really not a good performance to limp home against the Jags and have so many punts and 3 and outs. They're OK but a long way off contending.

- FIGHTIN DANS GET A DRAW... they should have had a win if the **** kicker didnt shank it like you wouldnt believe. Goff is an utter disaster. Just can not deliver for the life of him. They should just cut him and move on, they got their picks.
- Mason Ruldolph is not the long term answer, he's not even the answer for the back up job. Dude just isnt good, and really is consistently not good. Their Qb issues continue to plague them. Another fascinating win now veteran team needing a win now qb for 2022.

- The brownies did the thing in their pants again. Same old Browns. Without Chubb and the game being on Bakers arm, and he was absolutely dreadful. Granted he's playing fairly banged up but it's a problem, defensively they had a big let down game.
- The Pats did whatever the hell they wanted, Mac had his best game of his rookie campaign by far. This team might be a sneaky AFC contender. They're not THAT good, but they know what they're good at and they hit that stuff time and time again. That's a good recipe in a not great AFC?

- The chargers can dread it, run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. They just keep charging. They shouldnt have lost this game. They're far better. I really dont like the way they have Herbert playing. They've got a F1 race car and are plotting around the car park in first gear with it right now. Unlesh Herbert with aggressive down field throws.
- Vikings come out on top of a close game, and i really liked that they seemed to understand Justin Jefferson is monster and they should just feed the guy. He made play after play after play. They should pass more, even if they have Dalvin Cook.

- Cardinals finally hit the skids. Not going to read too much into it, expected this performance last week, instead it came here. No Murray or Hopkins, they're 8-2, no need to panic. Get healthy and get back on track
- Really fun performance from the Panthers, Cam gave them a real lift on and off the field. He'll be their starter next week and i think he'll be good for them. CMC looked to be back to his best again too. Defence dominated.

- Seattle were awful. Wilson was awful. Not as bad as his over produced pre game nonsense about him being back and being called wolverine, and rehabbing 49 hours a day, and how maraculous this come back is... brother, friend... you were gone for 3 weeks, we barely noticed. Relax. Also, maybe you should have given it another week or two
- Not a very strong performance from the packers either, very rusty, but at least Adams was invovled in the game again. Defensively they're improving and they're getting healthy... Aaron Jones injury could be a big blow, but AJ Dillion is a TRUCK.

- Raiders distractions finally catching up with them. The defence is struggling now, the offence is missing it's deep threat and teams are squatting on Waller. Djax had a very strange play, but he's got those in him. Feels like a team that is dropping out of the race, not building into it.
- First really good KC performance in weeks. They were extremely effecient and effective offensively. Defensively they made plays and were opportunitic. It's only the Raiders so we'll see, but a performance to build off... and for all the hand wringing about the Chiefs. They're still winning the division and probably good SB odds right now
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That Broncos orange is an offensive colour.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: November 15, 2021, 2:04 pm Mahomes is shredding the Raiders. KC offense has come alive after a few sub par performances.
Yeah...
Wk before the Cowboys