NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: September 17, 2021, 10:34 am That body weight roughing the passer rule has to be the worst rule in football
in that instance 100%. Whats Young supposed to do there?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: September 17, 2021, 10:43 am
the bone wrote: September 17, 2021, 10:34 am That body weight roughing the passer rule has to be the worst rule in football
in that instance 100%. Whats Young supposed to do there?
Soft, soft rule
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Nick Gates with a Dak Prescott-esqe leg injury. Devastating stuff
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: September 17, 2021, 10:58 am Nick Gates with a Dak Prescott-esqe leg injury. Devastating stuff
yuuuuk
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Scary Terry beats James Bradberry for a nice TD catch
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

WFT front 4 causing Danny Dimes some issues.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Danny Dimes is the best RB in NY
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Well, looks like WFT will remain plucky this yr. They can only take what you give on offense though, so, you just have to keep pressure, and you should get results.

Giants... yeah not really sure. Danny Dimes is making plays, but getting beat up too. I suspect there are too many issues there.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I’m not one to condone book burning, but someone needs to find the giants playbook and put it on the pyre
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

And just as I say that, they dial up a nice play for a Darius Slayton TD
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

i like my eagles chances to be competitive in this NFC East
It looks as stinky as ever.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Timmy vs Jimmy turned into a good game
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Giants offense is truly boring. So very vanilla from Sir claps-a-lot. Danny Dimes will make some plays, but if you can capitalize on the errors you will win. Barkley will take half the yr to get going after the ACL I reckon.

WFT are what they are. Will play defense, esp the front 4, but if you can keep them out there they will tire. Heinicke will only take whats given to him, and they dont really have play makers.

Both these will give the Pheagles a chance @Botman. You just need to win some Div games and youll be in the hunt.

Cowboys early injury status is an issue, but if wk 1 is anything to go by, they shouldnt be troubled in the Div.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Gallowday gave Danny Dimes a hell of'va spray today.
Looks like the equipment manager initially, but Danny is pissed
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Considering the lowly season win projections and both coming off losses,I really thought the quality of the game today was great.
Some clutch throws from Heinicke down the stretch,see sawing scores,it really was a good watch for the neutrals.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I finally got a chance to check out Lincoln Financial Field, albeit for a Temple Owls game, rather than an Eagles game. Very cool stadium. Big capacity, but condensed. Felt like you could sit anywhere and feel close to the field. Atmosphere would be insane at an Eagles game. Temple lost 28-3 to Boston College
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Did u see the DJ Graham 1 handed INT yet?!?
Wooow!!!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: September 19, 2021, 8:28 am Did u see the DJ Graham 1 handed INT yet?!?
Wooow!!!
That was epic!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: September 19, 2021, 8:28 am Did u see the DJ Graham 1 handed INT yet?!?
Wooow!!!
Yeah i saw that come across the TL
outrageous stuff

VERY excited for Alabama and Ole Miss in a few weeks, that'll be a track meet

The young draft eligable Qbs arent super impressive, Spencer Ratler probably establishing himself early as QB1 imo
Really interested in Malik Willis, who has a appealling skillset, albeit a bit unrefined and raw.

I think the two best skill players are at OSU, with Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave, Joe Ngata not getting a good chance to showcase his skills, might be a steal if this offensive output for Clemson remains as it is... hardly a hot take but the best player in this draft is clearly Kayvon Thibodeaux, he didnt play this week and will be out for a few weeks yet but if you get a chance, cheak him out. DE for Oregon. Just a monster coming off the edge.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 19, 2021, 7:04 pm
Wooow!!!
Yeah i saw that come across the TL
outrageous stuff

VERY excited for Alabama and Ole Miss in a few weeks, that'll be a track meet

The young draft eligable Qbs arent super impressive, Spencer Ratler probably establishing himself early as QB1 imo
Really interested in Malik Willis, who has a appealling skillset, albeit a bit unrefined and raw.

I think the two best skill players are at OSU, with Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave, Joe Ngata not getting a good chance to showcase his skills, might be a steal if this offensive output for Clemson remains as it is... hardly a hot take but the best player in this draft is clearly Kayvon Thibodeaux, he didnt play this week and will be out for a few weeks yet but if you get a chance, cheak him out. DE for Oregon. Just a monster coming off the edge.
I've heard of him. People do say he is a beast
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

After beating up the Falcons last week, bit of a reality check for the Eagles this week. For most of the first half they were winning the trenches but after a 91 yard completion they came away with 0 points after a 4th down incompletion on a Philly-special look-a-like play. 49ers then went on a length of the field drive for a TD to go into half time up 7-3 despite Philly being the better team. In the second half the 49ers had another length of the field drive for a TD, soaking up 9 minutes and taking a 14-3 lead. Hurts made some plays with his legs to get the Eagles within 6, but a couple of killer penalties and the inability to stop a Jimmy G QB-sneak for a first down ended their chances of a comeback.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yep, was very much expecting to lose that game and frankly by more
Think that was a good game for the eagles long term. Think they'll learn a lot about themselves when they re-watch the tape.

Niners are a MUCH better football team but the eagles dominated the first half, and with better execution and play calling, the eagles probably should have gone into the half leading 10-3 if not more, instead they trailed 10-3. Big swinging point. They hung in there with a team i think will go far. So as disappointing as the loss was, there was still a lot of encouraging signs for the future even if it sort of proved how far off the eagles in 2021
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS!!!!

Yes, yes, i realize that the Chargers lost it. 2 TDs called back for penalties. We let them convert far too many 3rd and 10+, after defending so well on the 1st 2 downs. Our manufactured front 4 wasnt ideal, but it did enough. I like Parsons as a change up DE, but a 2-3 down DE he isnt. Diggs INT is the 2nd best 1 this weekend.

BUT... Winning is winning. Zeke was good, Dak was good, CD was good (loved the lateral on the hail mary play, so nearly worked), Pollard BALLED OUT!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

How about Beave squandering about 25 seconds on the clock to play for a game winning 56 yard FG?
God i hope that incompetent boob never leaves the cowboys
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

QB carnage too.
Tua, Dalton, Wentz, and Taylor didnt return. Mayfield was pretty banged up.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 20, 2021, 9:59 am How about Beave squandering about 25 seconds on the clock to play for a game winning 56 yard FG?
God i hope that incompetent boob never leaves the cowboys
Yeah... f knows what was going on there
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raven vs Chiefs was a BANGER!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Matt wrote:Raven vs Chiefs was a BANGER!
Match of the round Matt? I might have to catch a full replay of this one, though I've been spending far too much time with the playstation lately.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Piss poor officiating in the Cowboys Chargers game

But not a surprise really. Gotta try and keep the NFC East relevant somehow.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: September 20, 2021, 2:38 pm
Matt wrote:Raven vs Chiefs was a BANGER!
Match of the round Matt? I might have to catch a full replay of this one, though I've been spending far too much time with the playstation lately.
I've only watched 3 and a bit.

1st is, Giants vs WFT... not a great game exactly, but 2 bad teams made for a competitive game, and a weird finish.

Obviously Cowboys vs Chargers. Some interesting things, but only to the hard core, and or fans of the teams.

Chiefs vs Ravens definitely lived up to the billing. Worth a watch for sure. Even if it's the condescend version - is it 45mins these days? No gaps, just ba k to back plays?

Seattle vs Titans was good, but I was distracted watching the Cowboys. Given how much ball Titans had, I'm surprised Seattle pushed them to OT. Derrick Henry is amazing! Lockett balled out too. Good game.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Watched the Ravens / Chiefs highlights. Ravens running game is very impressive.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My weekly Monday run down:

- Eagles takes out the way early, this was a morale victory for me. I didnt expect us to win, in fact i expected us to get belted. The eagles dominated the game in the first half and frankly should have gone into the break 13-3. Some bad execution and play calling in the red zone hurt them. But to hang in there with a team like the niners and even have had a chance to win that game gives me a bit more faith in this coaching staff. We're not good enough or talented enough to beat a team like that with the errors we made, but there is some promising signs
- Niners looked good, but they have to figure this QB thing out. Jimmy G didnt scare me at all. The running game, didnt matter who, that terrified me. Any time George Kittle or Deebo Samual got the ball it was scary. Put in a QB who can give you a little x factor and sky is the limit.

Quick hitters
- Zach Wilson looked TERRIBLE today, BB does that to almost every rookie QB though. Early doors but the returns aren't great so far.
- Dont think Mac Jones had a very strong game today either, but he did enough. He's just not going to turn the ball over a lot. Damien Harris had a wildly fun TD run too. Rumble, young man, rumble!
- Lawrence is clearly immensely talented, and the jags have put an absolute clown show around him. The sooner this Urban Meyer era ends in Jacksonville the better for Lawrence.'
- Denver are exactly who we thought they'd be with Teddy. They play good defence, they dont make mistakes and they notch wins. Dont think they'll have the next gear into them to beat the better teams but they'll win most games they're favoured in.
- The bills won easily, but i still saw a LOT of weird Josh Allen stuff. Im officially worried.
- I've been hesitant to write off Tua but there does seem to be something about him that feels like he's snake bitten. There is some really good stuff with him but other times you cant understand what he's doing. Now he's hurt again. Watson feels like a foregone conclusion.
- The rams looks good enough on offence but that defence has taken a step back without Brandon Staley. You can definitely move the ball on them.
- Wentz just cant give up on a play and can't stay healthy. Very long odds we end up with the colts 1st round pick. He made some good plays and they stuck around in this game and had a chance to win it. But the issues that plagued Wentz in his final year at Philly have travelled with him to Indy. Michael Pittman looks great though.
- the chargers just really need to focus in on reigning in Herbert. He's really good but he's not QUITE Mahomes so he's just sometimes gotta take what they give him. A few critical errors, and some... less than legit penalties cost them today
- The offence is great, Micah Parsons looks really good rushing the passer (less impressive in coverage), the defence in general can be had and Mike McCarthy is going to a major hand break... I would bet really good money Kellen Moore is the HC next year.
- LVR might be legit? I think they'll probably fall back to the pack and not make the play offs but im at least open to the idea that they could be a play off team. Pretty good showing on both sides of the ball.
- I said it last week and ill keep saying Ben Roethlisberger is absolutely cooked. He might be the worst QB in the league right now. Can't do anything with him in that offence.
- The bengals look improved in a lot of ways except the OL, and it's getting Burrow killed and reinforcing bad habbits. I think they should really consider picking up the phone to the Eagles to try and get Andre Dillard. Or anyone. They can't do this to Burrow. His 3 back to back to back picks really blew this game
- Justin Fields should not lose this job. It's not that he was really good, in fact he was kind of bad. But he needs to learn what he can and can't get away with. This Bears defence is actually not as bad as i thought it would be.
- The Browns had a pretty professional win in the end. Started off very shaky but they corrected it and by the end it was pretty cruisy. They're a good team, they'll give the top AFC's a game in the play offs if Baker can have a good game when it counts.
- Give credit to David Culley, dude got given the worst job in NFL history, everyone assumed it was a life time achievement appointment and he'd come in, be a good dude and get sent packing 2 years from now when the Texans have their house in order, and maybe that's still the deal. But he's got this team playing hard and being competitive.
- What the hell happened to NO? Was this the real saints? Was last week the real saints? Was last week more about the packers? I have no idea what to think of this team right now. Horrific display. Though they had a ton of coaches in COVID protocols.
- Carolina also a team like Denver who play good solid defence, aren't going to make a ton of mistakes and their weapons even beyond McCaffrey are really quite good. Got a lot of time for Robby Anderson and DJ Moore.
- Kyler Murray is obnoxious in his talent... Lamar might be faster but there is something about Kyler's running style that makes him as dangerous imo. And he's a much better passer in the pocket. I think i'd take Kyler over Lamar if given the choice. And i LOVE Lamar.
- The vikings pretty much have to trade this years first and the next 2-3 firsts for Justin Tucker. This ongoing kicking fiasco is infuriating and i dont even like the Vikings! I cant imagine being a fan. Justin Jefferson is so god damn legit though. Also Cousins is just not very exciting. I'd love to see them find a way to upgrade him
- Atlanta are really not good but im struggling to understand why Kyle Pitts is not the focal point of this offence. You got the guy #4 overall because he's an impossible match up and he's just a non factor. Not a great start for the Arthur Smith regime. Matty Ryan might be low key cooked too.
- With 10 minutes left in the game the Bucs were only up 3 and Atlanta had the football and i never once worried about them losing the game. They felt comfortable the entire way. Brady has 9 TDs in 2 games, that's a HOT start.
- How the seahawks blew that game is beyond me. I didnt see enough of it to really get a guage of it but they seemingly had that thing locked away and then somehow they blew it.
- Rumours of Derrick Henry's demise were greatly exagerated. Dude absolutely rolled over the top of Seattle. Im always surprised at how fast and spry he is in the open field given he's built like a **** LBer

And finally...

- KC with another sloppy game. Bad snaps, key fumbles on a game winning drive, Mahomes even threw a terrible int. That's kind of how you have to beat them. You gotta hang around long enough and hope they do some **** that helps beat themselves. The Ravens took Hill away and Kelce was unstoppable. I'm officially off the CEH wagon, i know it's just one fumble but aside from that, he's just not very good IMO, he's got the right skillset but he just doesnt seem to have the juice to get it done. I dunno, he might be a bust.

- Love the balls from Harbs to just go for it. It was the right call and the obvious call but it still took balls. You're way better off trying to get 1 yard than you are trying to stop Mahomes needing only a FG. Lamar and Harbs are so god damn fun to watch, there is a syncornicity and implicit level of trust they have in each other which is truly wonderful to see.
Last edited by Botman on September 21, 2021, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

another good summary @botman
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I've only just started watching but my favourite player is Chubb. That guy just decides he's moving forward and he can't be knocked over.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: September 21, 2021, 10:18 am I've only just started watching but my favourite player is Chubb. That guy just decides he's moving forward and he can't be knocked over.
U need to watch Derrick Henry.... you might be swayed.
Chubb is very good.