NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider »

Just finished watching the Phins knock off Panthers. Easily their best all round performance so far. Tua had an excellent game against the NFL's top ranked pass defense. Combined with a bit of a break out game for Waddle with his first 100+ yard performance.

The Cam Newton homecoming parade has hit the skids big time. 5/21 for 92 yards and 2 INT. Ended up benched for PJ Walker.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Another week goes by and another team just physically dominates the Rams
Its a classic sports trope but this Rams really really does seem to be a lot of glitz and glamour but with a soft underbelly, and anyone who plays hard, tough football and doesnt get in the track meet with them can handle them fairly easily

Also, McVey's handling of the clock at the end there was Beave-esque... just had no idea what to do. Not that it would have mattered, the likelihood of recovering an onside kick isnt great... but as soon as they were in range, they needed to kick the FG, try to get the onside kick and have about a minute to score the game tying touch down...
instead on 3rd and 1, a clear 30 seconds+ after they're in range.. he RUNS the ball, with no time outs and a running clock, doesn't get the first down and then rushes the FG unit on...

What is it with these coaches?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

A lot of teams are:
7-4
6-5
5-6
5-7
Really does suggest that this yr "any given Sunday " is a real thing
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: November 29, 2021, 11:45 am A lot of teams are:
7-4
6-5
5-6
5-7
Really does suggest that this yr "any given Sunday " is a real thing
Week 12 and there's an incredible number of teams still in the Wildcard hunt. Only half a dozen teams effectivley out of contention.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Lamar is just so underwhelming as a passer. The threat of the run is all that keeps him in a job
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Both teams struggled to get any roll on in the passing game. Lamar because of turnovers and Mayfield because he was hobbled.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

That game was painful to watch
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Eagles game thoughts

- Really disappointed, and frankly pissed at the eagles dropping this game. No excuses for it. They were the better team and any modicum of execution and they win handly. Can't put this on coaching, the plays where there, Hurts just didnt execute and key drops and turns over stripped them any chance of winning the game. Really disheartening stuff from a "is Hurts the future" perspective. Also it upsets me greatly that Davonta Smith can be open ALL THE **** TIME, and he gets 2-3 targets a game... it comes back to what i've been saying about Hurts... it's possible to be successful with him game to game, but if your game plan to win with a QB has to be "run the ball 40 times a game" and as soon as you're down 2 scores the game is virtually over, is that a QB you can build around long term? I dont think so, and i dont think the eagles do either.

- Credit at least to the giants D, they made enough plays to win the game. That's the best i can say. Honestly feel like if this game is played 10 times, the eagles win it 7-8 times. The giants are said to be moving on from Gettleman, and i find it hard to believe the new GM will want to continue long with Judge.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

WEEKLY ROUND UP

- Really impresed with the Bucs come back win, though i think this game they got a bit lucky. Think they'll be better once AB comes back, for whatever reason, he and Gronk are the engine that drives that team. Lenny had himself a day and it's cool to see him be this sort of player after his college career and then disappointing start in the pros
- TOUGH loss for the Colts. Think they had this game for a while there but then weirdly Taylor didnt touch the ball for 22 straight colts plays... that's not how you win if you're the colts. Credit where it's due, Wentz is playing pretty well. And this time next week, the eagles will have a 3x 1st round picks

- Jets get another win! Didnt see a ton of this game, not sure there was a ton to see. But at least its a win, Zach Wilson and the Jets brass tax and get into a good week of prep feeling good about themselves.
- Houston are a dumpster fire, but they know that. One of the biggest issues with them is how few actual peices there are here, even trading away Watson for a HAUL of picks... its 3 years before they can even challenge for the play offs imo.

- YIKES. That Cam performance... it was not what they wanted. And CMC was in a walking boot at the end of the game. They go into the bye week feeling as lost as they've ever been. The one bright spot is defensively they're really good and fun. Not a hot take, because im gonna take the heat out of it a little bit... if i could have Myles Garrett or Brian Burns, i'd pick Myles Garrett, but it's much closer than people think. Burns is a STUD.
- Another good win by the Dolphins and a very good all around performance. NR will speak on it, but have to think this is how you want it to look, defence making plays, Tua being a sharp, accruate and decisive distributor and Jalen Waddle being a superstar.

- The Patriots are warming to the task. This is terrifying for all of us who are sick of seeing the damn pats win every week but it feels like they're about ready to lunch another long term run at contending. Mac Jones really isnt a whole lot different to what early years Tom Brady was.
- Not a lot to talk about with the Titans... the titans without Henry, AJ Brown and Julio is really not a team worth talking about. That's just too much fire power missing. They did well to hang in this game as long as they did.

- STATEMENT WIN! Bengals dont just win, they curb stomped the steelers and did whatever they wanted. Joe Mixon got silly today, and absolutely clowned a very highly regarded Steelers front. This is a team really trending up, they're probably going to win too many games to fire the coach, which i feel sucks.
- This game will be remembered for me as the moment we really understood where each franchise was and where they are headed. The bengals? They're heading up... the Steelers, they're on a crash course to QB purgatory. They're very talented in all other positions... if they could just get themselves one of the veterans and then build up the OL, they can turn this around quickly imo

- Jags had a chance to win this game but the talent continues to be a problem. They were far and away the least talented team today and they played the falcons. Curious to see how they appraoch this off season. I'll never forgive them if they ruin Lawrence, who continues to make plays every week that make you sit back.
- The Patterson season continues to be one of the stories of the season for me. This is WILD. Ive come to terms with the fact they're not going to just feed Kyle Pitts like i want. Maybe next year.

- Oh man what a stinky egg by the Chargers. This is what holds you back from buying in on them. Too many of these types of games. They were the better and more talented team, with a major QB AND coaching (i think?) advantage and lost. Tough beat.
- The Broncos are the NFL 2021 spirit animal... no idea what you'll get each week, one week they're curb stomping the Cowboys, then they get waxed by an average eagles team, then drop a hammer on the chargers. Chaos football.

- LA Rams thoughts as above. Flashy team. Not tough enough, get bullied by any team willing to push them around. Stafford isnt the superstar we all hailed him as.
- This packers team looks primed for a run imo... they havent scratched the surface of what they can do and they're starting to get healthy at key positions. Fascinating situation if they make a very deep play off run, or even win the damn thing... what then for Rodgers? haha.

- My entire interest in the Vikings is in who commits stone cold murder of Kirk Cousins on live TV first, Mike Zimmer or Justin Jefferson? Jefferson can't even hide his disdain for Kirk anymore. And rightly so, he was missed at least a dozen times today, including on the game tying drive WIDE **** open and the ball is sailing 6 feet over his head or 5 feet in front of his feet.
- San Fran are finding their formula... but they'll lose it VERY quickly if this Deebo Samuel. He does so much for them. Also, i feel like i've said this before. Brandon Aiyuk... good player? Maybe keep using him.

- That was a miserable MNF game, shouts to anyone who got through it... i was riding a very important fanstasy football game, and once Andrews got the two big catches and a touchdown and **** me, i got the **** out of it. Miserable game. That did happen in the second half though so i followed intently before then and yesssh, ugly game. The last 5 minutes of the first half was... utterly ridiculous. Hard to imagine either team going far in the play offs given where they are right now
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 29, 2021, 7:50 pm WEEKLY ROUND UP

- Really impresed with the Bucs come back win, though i think this game they got a bit lucky. Think they'll be better once AB comes back, for whatever reason, he and Gronk are the engine that drives that team. Lenny had himself a day and it's cool to see him be this sort of player after his college career and then disappointing start in the pros
- TOUGH loss for the Colts. Think they had this game for a while there but then weirdly Taylor didnt touch the ball for 22 straight colts plays... that's not how you win if you're the colts. Credit where it's due, Wentz is playing pretty well. And this time next week, the eagles will have a 3x 1st round picks

- Jets get another win! Didnt see a ton of this game, not sure there was a ton to see. But at least its a win, Zach Wilson and the Jets brass tax and get into a good week of prep feeling good about themselves.
- Houston are a dumpster fire, but they know that. One of the biggest issues with them is how few actual peices there are here, even trading away Watson for a HAUL of picks... its 3 years before they can even challenge for the play offs imo.

- YIKES. That Cam performance... it was not what they wanted. And CMC was in a walking boot at the end of the game. They go into the bye week feeling as lost as they've ever been. The one bright spot is defensively they're really good and fun. Not a hot take, because im gonna take the heat out of it a little bit... if i could have Myles Garrett or Brian Burns, i'd pick Myles Garrett, but it's much closer than people think. Burns is a STUD.
- Another good win by the Dolphins and a very good all around performance. NR will speak on it, but have to think this is how you want it to look, defence making plays, Tua being a sharp, accruate and decisive distributor and Jalen Waddle being a superstar.

- The Patriots are warming to the task. This is terrifying for all of us who are sick of seeing the damn pats win every week but it feels like they're about ready to lunch another long term run at contending. Mac Jones really isnt a whole lot different to what early years Tom Brady was.
- Not a lot to talk about with the Titans... the titans without Henry, AJ Brown and Julio is really not a team worth talking about. That's just too much fire power missing. They did well to hang in this game as long as they did.

- STATEMENT WIN! Bengals dont just win, they curb stomped the steelers and did whatever they wanted. Joe Mixon got silly today, and absolutely clowned a very highly regarded Steelers front. This is a team really trending up, they're probably going to win too many games to fire the coach, which i feel sucks.
- This game will be remembered for me as the moment we really understood where each franchise was and where they are headed. The bengals? They're heading up... the Steelers, they're on a crash course to QB purgatory. They're very talented in all other positions... if they could just get themselves one of the veterans and then build up the OL, they can turn this around quickly imo

- Jags had a chance to win this game but the talent continues to be a problem. They were far and away the least talented team today and they played the falcons. Curious to see how they appraoch this off season. I'll never forgive them if they ruin Lawrence, who continues to make plays every week that make you sit back.
- The Patterson season continues to be one of the stories of the season for me. This is WILD. Ive come to terms with the fact they're not going to just feed Kyle Pitts like i want. Maybe next year.

- Oh man what a stinky egg by the Chargers. This is what holds you back from buying in on them. Too many of these types of games. They were the better and more talented team, with a major QB AND coaching (i think?) advantage and lost. Tough beat.
- The Broncos are the NFL 2021 spirit animal... no idea what you'll get each week, one week they're curb stomping the Cowboys, then they get waxed by an average eagles team, then drop a hammer on the chargers. Chaos football.

- LA Rams thoughts as above. Flashy team. Not tough enough, get bullied by any team willing to push them around. Stafford isnt the superstar we all hailed him as.
- This packers team looks primed for a run imo... they havent scratched the surface of what they can do and they're starting to get healthy at key positions. Fascinating situation if they make a very deep play off run, or even win the damn thing... what then for Rodgers? haha.

- My entire interest in the Vikings is in who commits stone cold murder of Kirk Cousins on live TV first, Mike Zimmer or Justin Jefferson? Jefferson can't even hide his disdain for Kirk anymore. And rightly so, he was missed at least a dozen times today, including on the game tying drive WIDE **** open and the ball is sailing 6 feet over his head or 5 feet in front of his feet.
- San Fran are finding their formula... but they'll lose it VERY quickly if this Deebo Samuel. He does so much for them. Also, i feel like i've said this before. Brandon Aiyuk... good player? Maybe keep using him.

- That was a miserable MNF game, shouts to anyone who got through it... i was riding a very important fanstasy football game, and once Andrews got the two big catches and a touchdown and **** me, i got the **** out of it. Miserable game. That did happen in the second half though so i followed intently before then and yesssh, ugly game. The last 5 minutes of the first half was... utterly ridiculous. Hard to imagine either team going far in the play offs given where they are right now
Heard on Around the NFL podcast, Waddle was the 2nd best yardage WR in the month of Nov. Not bad!

If GB win, ARod can totally do a Brady, and sail off onto the sunset.

Couple of very ordinary games this wk, Jets vs Texans, G-Men vs Eagles, but man o man, Ravens vs Browns... OOPH!

I believe CMC is gone for the yr.

Deebo was hopeful - is he a WR or a RB these days? Is he Patterson 2.0? Patterson is fun to watch FYI.

Cook dislocated shoulder isnt ideal.

PS. Half the Cowboys coaching staff are on Covid protocol. McCarthy is 1. Those in COVID-19 protocol: Terence Steele (swing tackle), Mike McCarthy, o-line coach Joe Philbin, asst o-line coach Jeff Blasko, off asst Scott Tolzien, strength and conditioning staff: Harold Nash, Kendall Smith, Cedric Smith.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Lincoln Riley has ditched the Sooners and bolted for USC. I’m very interested in how the Sooners pending move to the SEC works out for them. They’ll be raking in money hand over fist even more than they already are, but I predict they’re going to struggle going from Big12 king to mid-tier SEC team. They have owned the Big12 for 20+ years - soon they’ll be fighting with LSU, A&M, Florida, etc to be 3rd place behind Alabama and Georgia. And then they’ll realise that being the Big fish in a medium sized pond wasn’t so bad. None of this applies to Texas as they weren’t winning anyway, so they’ll just enjoy canoodling in their baths of cash.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I don’t think I’ve seen a blocked extra point kick be run into the opposite end zone. I didn’t even realise it was worth 2 points… I assumed it was 1, same as the extra point. We could go into halftime with an unusual 9-9 score line.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: November 30, 2021, 12:27 pm Lincoln Riley has ditched the Sooners and bolted for USC. I’m very interested in how the Sooners pending move to the SEC works out for them. They’ll be raking in money hand over fist even more than they already are, but I predict they’re going to struggle going from Big12 king to mid-tier SEC team. They have owned the Big12 for 20+ years - soon they’ll be fighting with LSU, A&M, Florida, etc to be 3rd place behind Alabama and Georgia. And then they’ll realise that being the Big fish in a medium sized pond wasn’t so bad. None of this applies to Texas as they weren’t winning anyway, so they’ll just enjoy canoodling in their baths of cash.
yeah i think this move makes a lot of sense for Riley
He cant hope to do anything serious in the SEC... making a move now to USC where he's going to really be able to dominant So Cal recruiting and probably make a pretty solid run of competing and winning the Pac12 and getting into the play offs every year

I think this is probably a 2-3 year stop at most for Riley. He apparently wants to eventually go to the NFL and i fully expect him to be a hot candidate in the next 24-36 months.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

College football championship week this weekend. Nice to see some different teams this year - no Ohio State, Clemson or Oklahoma.

Friday
Pac-12
Oregon vs Utah

C-USA
Texas San Antonio vs Western Kentucky

Saturday
Big 12
Oklahoma State vs Baylor

Middle America
Northern Illinois vs Kent State

Mountain West
San Diego vs Utah State

SEC
Georgia vs Alabama

American
Cincinnati vs Houston

Sunbelt
App State vs Louisiana

Big 10
Michigan vs Iowa

ACC
Wake Forest vs Pittsburgh
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: November 30, 2021, 12:35 pm
the bone wrote: November 30, 2021, 12:27 pm Lincoln Riley has ditched the Sooners and bolted for USC. I’m very interested in how the Sooners pending move to the SEC works out for them. They’ll be raking in money hand over fist even more than they already are, but I predict they’re going to struggle going from Big12 king to mid-tier SEC team. They have owned the Big12 for 20+ years - soon they’ll be fighting with LSU, A&M, Florida, etc to be 3rd place behind Alabama and Georgia. And then they’ll realise that being the Big fish in a medium sized pond wasn’t so bad. None of this applies to Texas as they weren’t winning anyway, so they’ll just enjoy canoodling in their baths of cash.
yeah i think this move makes a lot of sense for Riley
He cant hope to do anything serious in the SEC... making a move now to USC where he's going to really be able to dominant So Cal recruiting and probably make a pretty solid run of competing and winning the Pac12 and getting into the play offs every year

I think this is probably a 2-3 year stop at most for Riley. He apparently wants to eventually go to the NFL and i fully expect him to be a hot candidate in the next 24-36 months.
Yeah and I think we’ll get a glimpse into Riley’s plans based on how much he prioritises recruiting vs the transfer portal. I assume he’ll lean heavily into recruiting in his first couple of years, but if he starts looking more at the portal, it could tip us that he’s in win-now mode before he jets to the NFL.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: November 30, 2021, 12:52 pm Yeah and I think we’ll get a glimpse into Riley’s plans based on how much he prioritises recruiting vs the transfer portal. I assume he’ll lean heavily into recruiting in his first couple of years, but if he starts looking more at the portal, it could tip us that he’s in win-now mode before he jets to the NFL.
I read last night he had a few 5* recruits from California committed to the Sooners for 2023... i suspect they'll be uncommitted and recommitted to a program closer to home by the end of the week :roflmao
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: November 30, 2021, 1:27 pm
the bone wrote: November 30, 2021, 12:52 pm Yeah and I think we’ll get a glimpse into Riley’s plans based on how much he prioritises recruiting vs the transfer portal. I assume he’ll lean heavily into recruiting in his first couple of years, but if he starts looking more at the portal, it could tip us that he’s in win-now mode before he jets to the NFL.
I read last night he had a few 5* recruits from California committed to the Sooners for 2023... i suspect they'll be uncommitted and recommitted to a program closer to home by the end of the week :roflmao
:lol: You can understand why Sooners fans would be dirty
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Wilson and the Seahawks offence are stinking it up - they cannot get anything going.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: November 30, 2021, 1:43 pm Wilson and the Seahawks offence are stinking it up - they cannot get anything going.
Rus shouldnt be near the kitchen, least of all cooking right now
feel like that finger is still a major problem for him. Never seen im throw as poorly as he has since returning from injury
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

This Seahawks brand of football is like CanberraRaidersFootball on Valiums with how boring it is to watch
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PFF grades for Week 12. Jordan Mailata is the 2nd highest graded player in the entire NFL at 93.5
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 1, 2021, 3:47 pm PFF grades for Week 12. Jordan Mailata is the 2nd highest graded player in the entire NFL at 93.5
WOOOOOW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: December 1, 2021, 3:47 pm
Northern Raider wrote: December 1, 2021, 3:47 pm PFF grades for Week 12. Jordan Mailata is the 2nd highest graded player in the entire NFL at 93.5
WOOOOOW
What I like about PFF grades is they base the rating on the specific role of the position. Means you can see the unsung heroes top the charts.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: December 1, 2021, 3:57 pm
Matt wrote: December 1, 2021, 3:47 pm
WOOOOOW
What I like about PFF grades is they base the rating on the specific role of the position. Means you can see the unsung heroes top the charts.
Yup. It's a good setup
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

All Day is now a Seahawk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: December 2, 2021, 1:41 pm All Day is now a Seahawk
Not sure that'll do much to improve their run game or offence generally... unfortunately AD is a long way off his best
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: December 2, 2021, 6:58 pm
Matt wrote: December 2, 2021, 1:41 pm All Day is now a Seahawk
Not sure that'll do much to improve their run game or offence generally... unfortunately AD is a long way off his best
He is, but going to that trash heap is gonna hurt his legacy
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Na, the NFL is littered with these sorts of things, no one will remember it at all

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 094685002/
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Another TNF stinker coming up with Taysom Hill getting the start at QB.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

PrimetimeRaider wrote:Another TNF stinker coming up with Taysom Hill getting the start at QB.
Not that I follow too closely but Payton has always come across as an elite coach. I don't know why he persists with Hill? Maybe a lack of a better alternative?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: December 3, 2021, 7:14 am
PrimetimeRaider wrote:Another TNF stinker coming up with Taysom Hill getting the start at QB.
Not that I follow too closely but Payton has always come across as an elite coach. I don't know why he persists with Hill? Maybe a lack of a better alternative?
Hill is their gadget guy. Hasnt really been viewed as a fulltime QB, hence the bizarre contract.
They are still coming to terms with being a Bree-less franchise. Not sure Winston is the answer, but Simien and Hill probably arent either.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: December 3, 2021, 5:52 am Another TNF stinker coming up with Taysom Hill getting the start at QB.
Stinker?!?! Why?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im a bit interested in this game actually
Dak and the Cowboys have been in a big funk, with Cooper and CeeDee back, can they get going again? And Taysom with Sean Payten getting in his weird bag is fun too
Think this could be a good game
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Matt wrote: December 3, 2021, 7:35 am
PrimetimeRaider wrote: December 3, 2021, 5:52 am Another TNF stinker coming up with Taysom Hill getting the start at QB.
Stinker?!?! Why?
Stinker mightve been the wrong word lol but I'm expecting it to be over at halftime in the Cowboys favour. I'd be happy for Hill to prove me wrong and keep it close. A competitive game in the 4th is all I want really. Preferably 33-30 instead of 10-7 :)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You might have been on to something here, PrimeTime
This game STINKS so far haha