NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

Botman wrote: November 5, 2021, 1:25 pm I have no idea why Wentz is still in this game, but i thank the colts for it
He's played every snap again this game despite it being a total blow out

9 games down, 4 to go.
Yeah I have no idea why Wentz played a full game. It was almost as if Frank Reich was sending a message to Colts fans that regardless of what happens, they’re not going to sit Wentz for the sake of the draft pick. They were up 35-10 late in the third and they still trotted out Wentz which was weird… then Taylor rips off a 75 yard TD run on the first play of the series, and you thought, OK that must be it for Wentz now. Regardless of the contingent draft pick, it’s madness to be playing your franchise QB late in a blowout like that.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah exactly
Ignoring the draft pick stuff entirely
This is not exactly a dude who’s stayed healthy in his career, just for his own health you’d sit him
He was in the game with 4 minutes left throwing BOMBS, taking shots and running for first downs
It was genuinely bizarre
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

With the way Hines and Taylor were going, Wentz wasn't getting hit anyway
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Josh Allen was sacked and intercepted by Josh Allen.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Well...
Cowboys sucked a lemon. Far out!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This has been a very unpredictable season so far. Upsets every round.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Huh? What just happened in the giants game? Interception?
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

It ended with a sack fumble on Carr in the end zone
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Cowboys got blown out by the Broncos :lol: don’t let the score fool you, they were down 30 to blot before a couple of garbage time TDs.

Jacksonville beat the Bills in the upset of the round.

Giants beat the Raiders… not a great game for Derek Carr - he missed a few chances in the red zone.

Darnold struggles in a loss to the Pats.

Browns do it easy in the battle of Ohio behind Chubb’s running game.

Dolphins finally get a second win against the hapless Texans.

Another Vikings game goes to OT, and this time they lose to the Ravens… Lamar had 120 yards on the ground.

Falcons almost blow another big lead, but end up kicking a game winning field goal to beat the Saints.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Broncos with a chance to go 4-0 against the NFC East next week when they host the Eagles. They’ve also beaten the Jags and Jets, and lost 4 games that you’d expect them to lose - Steelers, Browns, Raiders and Ravens. Essentially a team that will beat the bad teams, and mostly lose against the better teams. Makes today’s beat down of the Cowboys even funnier.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Very strange day of results
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wheels have really fallen off the Bills lately. After rattling up a number of big wins they got upset by Titans then an ulgy win over 1-6 Dolphins and now a loss to 1-6 Jags. They will be very nervous going against the 2-6 Jets next week.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The NFL media is loving that Josh Allen had a big game for the Jags against Josh Allen the QB. Lots of talk about Josh Allen sacks Josh Allen, intercepts Josh Allen and recovers a fumble from Josh Allen. Fair to say that in the head to head battle between Josh Allen and Josh Allen it was Josh Allen the clear winner.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: November 8, 2021, 8:20 am Broncos with a chance to go 4-0 against the NFC East next week when they host the Eagles. They’ve also beaten the Jags and Jets, and lost 4 games that you’d expect them to lose - Steelers, Browns, Raiders and Ravens. Essentially a team that will beat the bad teams, and mostly lose against the better teams. Makes today’s beat down of the Cowboys even funnier.
Wasn't funny from where I was sitting. But I agree with the sentiment.

That said, Bills lost to Jagz. That's worse that losing to the 4-4 Broncos
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Eagles thoughts first. Skip if you're not interested in the insane ramblings of an eagles fan.

A professional loss. Aquitted themselves well and had they got a key stop late in the game could have stolen the game. Offensively they've found a identity. It's heavy run, Hurts involved in the run game and barely letting him drop back, but when he does he's able to make simple reads and deliver in clean pockets because they're worried about the run. Trouble is, if that's how you've got to play to make Hurts useful, is that a way to win long term? IMO no. This just further proves to me Hurts isnt the guy.
Defensively they're just broken. Not aggressive enough. Not talented enough. Dont put the few talented players we have in positions to succeed

- Chargers and Herbert just ate everything up short. They kept drives alive. Took what they were given and got out of there with a win after travelling across country. Think given the fortnight they'd come off they'll take that and run. Still some troubling signs. This stinky eagles team were one or two key plays away from winning this game. Teams as talented as the Chargers shouldnt be a play away from a loss to this team.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Week 9 Monday Wrap Up:

- Atlanta got a nice win here and strangely sit in the play off picture, they're in right now! Yikes. Matt Ryan looked great today and Cordarrelle Patterson continued to make play after play. It's really something to watch. The A. Smith seeds starting to sprout?
- Bad loss for the Saints, whose QB situation might really just sink them now. There is no good answer. Super interested to see what this very aggressive franchise does this year at that position.

- I dont know what on earth happened in Dallas today offensively, happy to chalk that up as one off. I know what happened defensively, Teddy B did what every else has done, attacked Travon Diggs in coverage and Tim Patrick lit his **** up. This is what happens when the turnover luck drys up. Good ball hawk, still not a good cover corner.
- Denver traded Von Miller in a signal that they were probably giving up on the year and then absolutely stomped the cowboys. Strange. And this was not a case of Cowboys playing poorly, they had some minor miscues but this was really about the Broncos out playing them.

- The panthers swung and missed with Darnold. They know that now, like others who eschewed the QB position last year, they're now regretting it given what is on offer this year. Think Tepper will go VERY hard at Watson in the off season if he's open to it.
- The Pats are a solid team but their wins are all against pretty bad teams. Like the running game and they're slowly opening up things for Mac. Think they'll sneak into the play offs, can't see them making much noise though.

- Vikings do this every week. I think the Zimmer and Cousins era is coming to an end. Zimmer is easy but Kirk has 45 million of dead cap if he's cut next year. I dont think dead cap matters much anymore but that's pretty steep even for me. Another curious QB team.
- Lamar is playing insanely good football right now, if he could get any help from his defence, it would help him tremendously. He's shreaddding the narrative about him not being able to play from behind.

- Truly dominant and statement win by the Browns. No OBJ and everyone just put in and they owned that game from start to finish. Think Baker will hold them back when needed most, but Chubb and Hunt when he gets back can take them a long, long way.
- Another knock against the Bengals being for real. They've laid one too many eggs now for me to really believe in them. The core is there amd they have taken a step but i think they need a coaching change to take the next one.

- Bills game today was abysmal. They just couldnt get anything going at all. Easily the most surprising performance of the year. And a bit knock on their SB credentials. SB teams dont lose to a jags team like this. Going to be hard to wash the taste of that out of my mouth
- Good on the Jags, they've been through a tough season and i think they've got some tough times still to come, but chalking up another win is a good for them and their building proecess. 9-6, not a lot to say beyond that.

- Miami threatened at times to blow this game. Which for me, would have been delightful but they got the win and maybe now with a win and the deadline behind them, they can start to build... nope, it was Jacoby under centre, not Tua. More QB narratives to dog them.
- Texans really stink. I thought they'd actually win this game with Tyrod back under centre, he was horrendous today. And the team was mostly garbage, but they know that, and i guess on some level this part of the plan.

- Tough spot for the Raiders. Their drama filled season continued and they dropped a game they really shouldnt have. It was clear what impact Ruggs had on the team offensively too, they couldnt get anything down field, it's all hard. They're signing Djax so he'll fill that role for them.
- the GGGGGGGG-men get a nice win, undermanned and that'll keep the media market at bay for a week. Daniel Jones is playing well enough to convince the Giants to go back in on him and Judge for 2022 which delights me, but its not going to end well.

- Im starting here with the chiefs... this is really bad. REALLY bad. I dont mind the defence being ****, that's to be expected, but the defence is playing OK now and offensively they are just not working right now. I dont get it. They're too damn talented to be this bad.
- Jordan Love looked utterly miserable and totally unprepared to play. That is not how the packers thought this would go, Rodgers has infinite leverage now. The packers can't be feeling good about this off season. If Rodgers plays, thet win this game by 20+

- The bloom now totally off the Kyle Shanny rose. Another absolute stink bomb, this time coming off the bye, with a healthy team and going against the Cards missing it's best two offensive players and losing a RB early. Also, hey Kyle, that Aiyuk guy looks pretty good! Maybe feature him in the offence instead of feeding a 40 yo Mo Sanu? And FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, it's over... just put Lance in there and get it over with, enough with Jimmy G. Enough. No one took a bigger hit today than Kyle Shanahan imo... his genius tag needs to be revoked at this point.
- Big shouts to the Cards, i keep doubting them, and still do because im a **** apparently, and all they do is keep stacking wins under suboptimal conditions. This is feeling more like a ME problem than a Cards problem.

- Another game where the stink will be hard to wash out. This time from the highly fancied Rams. What on earth was that? It's not a one off either. While the collective football community have annoited McVey and the Rams... imagine if they get 2-3 years down the track from here without a ring... it could get real ugly, real fast. This team doesnt feel like a SB winner to me.
- The titans keep doing their thing. I like the shift they made today. They wanted and tried to run the ball the same way without Henry, it didnt work but they did a really good job of moving more towards a passing game. Julio looked healthier and AJ Brown is a beast. Lean into it, this AFC is quietly there for the taking
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 8, 2021, 7:40 pm Week 9 Monday Wrap Up:

- Atlanta got a nice win here and strangely sit in the play off picture, they're in right now! Yikes. Matt Ryan looked great today and Cordarrelle Patterson continued to make play after play. It's really something to watch. The A. Smith seeds starting to sprout?
- Bad loss for the Saints, whose QB situation might really just sink them now. There is no good answer. Super interested to see what this very aggressive franchise does this year at that position.

- I dont know what on earth happened in Dallas today offensively, happy to chalk that up as one off. I know what happened defensively, Teddy B did what every else has done, attacked Travon Diggs in coverage and Tim Patrick lit his **** up. This is what happens when the turnover luck drys up. Good ball hawk, still not a good cover corner.
- Denver traded Von Miller in a signal that they were probably giving up on the year and then absolutely stomped the cowboys. Strange. And this was not a case of Cowboys playing poorly, they had some minor miscues but this was really about the Broncos out playing them.

- The panthers swung and missed with Darnold. They know that now, like others who eschewed the QB position last year, they're now regretting it given what is on offer this year. Think Tepper will go VERY hard at Watson in the off season if he's open to it.
- The Pats are a solid team but their wins are all against pretty bad teams. Like the running game and they're slowly opening up things for Mac. Think they'll sneak into the play offs, can't see them making much noise though.

- Vikings do this every week. I think the Zimmer and Cousins era is coming to an end. Zimmer is easy but Kirk has 45 million of dead cap if he's cut next year. I dont think dead cap matters much anymore but that's pretty steep even for me. Another curious QB team.
- Lamar is playing insanely good football right now, if he could get any help from his defence, it would help him tremendously. He's shreaddding the narrative about him not being able to play from behind.

- Truly dominant and statement win by the Browns. No OBJ and everyone just put in and they owned that game from start to finish. Think Baker will hold them back when needed most, but Chubb and Hunt when he gets back can take them a long, long way.
- Another knock against the Bengals being for real. They've laid one too many eggs now for me to really believe in them. The core is there amd they have taken a step but i think they need a coaching change to take the next one.

- Bills game today was abysmal. They just couldnt get anything going at all. Easily the most surprising performance of the year. And a bit knock on their SB credentials. SB teams dont lose to a jags team like this. Going to be hard to wash the taste of that out of my mouth
- Good on the Jags, they've been through a tough season and i think they've got some tough times still to come, but chalking up another win is a good for them and their building proecess. 9-6, not a lot to say beyond that.

- Miami threatened at times to blow this game. Which for me, would have been delightful but they got the win and maybe now with a win and the deadline behind them, they can start to build... nope, it was Jacoby under centre, not Tua. More QB narratives to dog them.
- Texans really stink. I thought they'd actually win this game with Tyrod back under centre, he was horrendous today. And the team was mostly garbage, but they know that, and i guess on some level this part of the plan.

- Tough spot for the Raiders. Their drama filled season continued and they dropped a game they really shouldnt have. It was clear what impact Ruggs had on the team offensively too, they couldnt get anything down field, it's all hard. They're signing Djax so he'll fill that role for them.
- the GGGGGGGG-men get a nice win, undermanned and that'll keep the media market at bay for a week. Daniel Jones is playing well enough to convince the Giants to go back in on him and Judge for 2022 which delights me, but its not going to end well.

- Im starting here with the chiefs... this is really bad. REALLY bad. I dont mind the defence being ****, that's to be expected, but the defence is playing OK now and offensively they are just not working right now. I dont get it. They're too damn talented to be this bad.
- Jordan Love looked utterly miserable and totally unprepared to play. That is not how the packers thought this would go, Rodgers has infinite leverage now. The packers can't be feeling good about this off season. If Rodgers plays, thet win this game by 20+

- The bloom now totally off the Kyle Shanny rose. Another absolute stink bomb, this time coming off the bye, with a healthy team and going against the Cards missing it's best two offensive players and losing a RB early. Also, hey Kyle, that Aiyuk guy looks pretty good! Maybe feature him in the offence instead of feeding a 40 yo Mo Sanu? And FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, it's over... just put Lance in there and get it over with, enough with Jimmy G. Enough. No one took a bigger hit today than Kyle Shanahan imo... his genius tag needs to be revoked at this point.
- Big shouts to the Cards, i keep doubting them, and still do because im a **** apparently, and all they do is keep stacking wins under suboptimal conditions. This is feeling more like a ME problem than a Cards problem.

- Another game where the stink will be hard to wash out. This time from the highly fancied Rams. What on earth was that? It's not a one off either. While the collective football community have annoited McVey and the Rams... imagine if they get 2-3 years down the track from here without a ring... it could get real ugly, real fast. This team doesnt feel like a SB winner to me.
- The titans keep doing their thing. I like the shift they made today. They wanted and tried to run the ball the same way without Henry, it didnt work but they did a really good job of moving more towards a passing game. Julio looked healthier and AJ Brown is a beast. Lean into it, this AFC is quietly there for the taking
Some good teams dropped some **** performances today.

Cards are going to be hard to beat in the NFC now, with a game on the rest, and a relatively easy draw. Cowboys vs Cards Wk17 looking like having big playoff implications.

Titans are going from my AFC smokey, to AFC legit. It's about as ugly a football as u can play, but it's dam effective. They continue to knock off good teams.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Love watching Jackson play. Guys just hanging off him and there's no panic. How goddamn quick is Bateman. I don't support any teams yet but might be becoming a Ravens fan.
Although love me some Chubb.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders cut Damon Arnette due to death threats on video holding a gun. (What a ****! Footballers really are dumb) Raiders "enjoying" sending 1st Rd picks packing in 2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:Love watching Jackson play. Guys just hanging off him and there's no panic. How goddamn quick is Bateman. I don't support any teams yet but might be becoming a Ravens fan.
Ravens are a consistently good side, in a really tough division. The only redeeming quality of Baltimore, the city, is its football team.

Agree with you, Jackson is great to watch. Such an elusive runner of the ball and he actually has a surprisingly strong arm.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Lots of wrinkles in the OBJ waiver wire situation. Browns restructured his contract before the official cut so it's effectively 1 year at $7.24m. Only a limited number of teams with that cap space currently available so anybody else picking him up would need to make other roster moves or contract restructures to fit him in.

He also becomes a free agent after this year so a team needs to either negotiate a longer deal with him or treat it like a short term play. That would also limit potential landing spots to teams chasing a quick fix now. That would be playoff contenders with a shortage at WR. He brings minimal value to teams that are out of contention.

OBJ has also stated he wants to be playing for titles which means he could be a disgruntled acquisition for any team not in the mix for January. Given the waiver order you need a lot of teams to pass on him before he gets to the ones that meet his agenda.

Likely outcome now is that all teams pass and he immediately becomes a free agent. His landing spot will then be mutually agreed upon with a more manageable contract.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If i were the chiefs, i wouldnt take any chances with FA, i'd restructure a deal and create the space and get him in there on the WW.
The chiefs have Hill who is excellent down field, the little screens, and long drags etc... they have Kelce who is a seam stretcher, and great around the middle of the field and red zone

what they dont have is a true x boundary receiver who can separate on the boundary and make those tough back shoulder throws, the curls, daggers and sharp in breaking routes when Mahomes hits his back foot on the drop. I dont know if OBJ is that player anymore, been a little while since we've really seen that from him, but man it'd take that swing if im the chiefs. If it doesnt work out, he leaves and you probably get a 3rd comp pick for the trial and error.

I do agree though that it's looking increasingly likely he'll go unclaimed and be able to pick his spot. Ravens, Saints, Seahawks, Chiefs and Packers are the teams i expect will be EXTREMELY active
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I'd be stunned if he ended up at the Chiefs. While you can make a case for the need they also have significant money invested in pass catchers with Hill and Kelce among their top earners. Add in Mahomes salary and thats a huge chunk already commited to the passing game. Restructuring deals to squeeze in OBJ is not smart business IMO.

Seahawks are the most likely to get him on waivers. Currently 9th in order, have cap space, Wilson due back could see them make a run at a wildcard. There is logic bringing in OBJ for the remainder of the year as this might be their last shot for a while.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I know I'm a bit behind, but Jason Peters looks wrong in White
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Have not enjoyed the last 2 years of Jason Peters. More than it looking wrong in a Bears jersey, it looks wrong seeing an all time great LT be so washed up.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

zim wrote: November 8, 2021, 10:45 pm Love watching Jackson play. Guys just hanging off him and there's no panic. How goddamn quick is Bateman. I don't support any teams yet but might be becoming a Ravens fan.
Ravens are a worthy team to go for. Underdog city, play a tough brand of football, and are always competitive.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Boy that game got interesting late and despite being dog **** most of the time

THe refs pretty much decided that game, the bears deserved to win, a handful of absolute **** calls swung it... but Nagy also mananged to be a **** clown in this. The Bears REALLY need to get him the **** out of there to give Fields a chance. Boy i'd love to see Brian Dabol with Fields.

As for the steelers, this house of cards cant go on much longer. Ben cant **** play. He just cant. It's all so hard and tough. And the OL is so bad. But the promising stuff is Pat Freiermuth is really good and between him, Claypool who is outrageous given his QB issues and Najee Harris is as good a necleous as you could offer a young QB. The defence is excellent and young too. They could turn this around and be a legit juggernaut again VERY quickly if they found the right QB

I think they'd be the SB favourites right now if they had Rodgers over Ben
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 9, 2021, 7:04 pm Boy that game got interesting late and despite being dog **** most of the time

THe refs pretty much decided that game, the bears deserved to win, a handful of absolute **** calls swung it... but Nagy also mananged to be a **** clown in this. The Bears REALLY need to get him the **** out of there to give Fields a chance. Boy i'd love to see Brian Dabol with Fields.

As for the steelers, this house of cards cant go on much longer. Ben cant **** play. He just cant. It's all so hard and tough. And the OL is so bad. But the promising stuff is Pat Freiermuth is really good and between him, Claypool who is outrageous given his QB issues and Najee Harris is as good a necleous as you could offer a young QB. The defence is excellent and young too. They could turn this around and be a legit juggernaut again VERY quickly if they found the right QB

I think they'd be the SB favourites right now if they had Rodgers over Ben
Massive call
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It might seem that way, but I dont think so
This is a 5-3 football team who doesnt really have a functional QB.

This is a team who's QB isnt respected, teams are squatting on the run game and short routes, they're coming after him because he cant move in the pocket anymore, and the OL isnt very good. But Najee is very good, the WR group is actually ridiculous. Claypool and Dionte with a good QB would be really special. Pat Freiermuth is showing he can make plays as a chain mover. The only issue is the OL, but a good QB can somewhat negate that by getting the ball out quick, or improvising and getting out of the pocket. Ben cant do that. Rodgers can. Expertly.

Defensively, it's loaded. The DL is so damn good. The back 7 are working through some talent issues but under Tomlin they've always been so well coached that they're able to be effective and productive

And so you look at the AFC right now, and Bills just lost to Jags, KC are out of sorts. The Titans... are hard to trust. There is no real run away leader right now in the AFC. This steelers roster and coaching staff with not just a good, functional QB but an elite one would special
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

OBJ reportedly down to deciding between the Chiefs, Packers and Saints
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Big Ben looks like he could eat Kyler Murray and still have room for dessert
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: November 11, 2021, 9:05 am OBJ reportedly down to deciding between the Chiefs, Packers and Saints
Ended up coming down between the Packers and Rams, and he's headed to the Rams.
Yeesh.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 12, 2021, 6:53 am
Botman wrote: November 11, 2021, 9:05 am OBJ reportedly down to deciding between the Chiefs, Packers and Saints
Ended up coming down between the Packers and Rams, and he's headed to the Rams.
Yeesh.
Yeah... im confused by this choice. They don't need him
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's going to be very funny if the Rams dont win the SB... and i honestly dont think they will
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

1 year deal. Be interesting to know the terms considering they could have picked him up off waivers for his current $8m contract. Possibly a performance based deal that sees him earn more if he's productive but less if he's not.

Rams have basically sacrifced their draft for a number of years and focused on building a roster from free agents and trades. Very much a win now strategy