Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:52 am
Matt wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:48 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:43 am
Matt wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:36 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 20, 2022, 2:15 pm Welcome back Botman. You're giving too much oxygen to a nutjob in the other thread. :lol:

Totally agree with that. I really don't see Tua moving, at least for 2022. However once a few dominoes start to fall in the QB market who knows how they might end up. I always find NFL off season almost as entertaining as the games themselves.
Which thread? I must have missed something good
Botman got into full engagment with our resident conspiracy theorist in the Coronovirus thread. It distracted him from important topics like the NFL Offseason (while the playoffs are still going).
Yeah, I'm not going in there. That thread causes too many problems.
You know you can't catch COVID via the Internet right? :P
:lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 21, 2022, 9:16 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:52 am Eagles won't get anybody of his calibre in Free Agency unless they make a few other roster moves to create space. Still another strong WR class this draft so better a chance of landing an elite player there at relatively good value.
The eagles cap situation is pretty straight forward.
- Extend Slay, give him more gtd money and lower his cap hit (he's a pro bowler and shows no signs of slowing up)
- Cut Brooks and Seumalo (both lost their starting jobs this year through play/injuries)
- Let Derek Barnett walk (not a positive contributor)
- Trade Andre Dillard (won't get much for him but he'd be able to be moved)

Those moves in themselves can create roughly 30m on top of what they have now without really impacting their team.
If they see a free agent they want, they'll fairly easily be able to make the space to make a run.

If the eagles took a WR, it would be their 3rd first round WR in 3 years... i just don't see them doing that, though I'd be perfectly fine if they did, especially given the depth there. A Chris Olave or Drake London/Treylon Burks would be a fairly nice pairing with Davonta Smith.
Wonder if Cowboys would be interested in Dillard?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: January 21, 2022, 11:27 am
Botman wrote: January 21, 2022, 9:16 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2022, 8:52 am Eagles won't get anybody of his calibre in Free Agency unless they make a few other roster moves to create space. Still another strong WR class this draft so better a chance of landing an elite player there at relatively good value.
The eagles cap situation is pretty straight forward.
- Extend Slay, give him more gtd money and lower his cap hit (he's a pro bowler and shows no signs of slowing up)
- Cut Brooks and Seumalo (both lost their starting jobs this year through play/injuries)
- Let Derek Barnett walk (not a positive contributor)
- Trade Andre Dillard (won't get much for him but he'd be able to be moved)

Those moves in themselves can create roughly 30m on top of what they have now without really impacting their team.
If they see a free agent they want, they'll fairly easily be able to make the space to make a run.

If the eagles took a WR, it would be their 3rd first round WR in 3 years... i just don't see them doing that, though I'd be perfectly fine if they did, especially given the depth there. A Chris Olave or Drake London/Treylon Burks would be a fairly nice pairing with Davonta Smith.
Wonder if Cowboys would be interested in Dillard?
Dillard would be a nice pickup for most teams. Not sure why the Pheagles would want to trade him. Cap figure is not that high for a very serviceable and versatile OL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Basically he's a first round pick who's our swing tackle... except swing tackles ideally can play either side, so you dont have to mess up two positions. Dillard has been a pretty big disaster at RT, so much so that when Lane Johnson was out, they played Mailata at RT and Dillard at LT.
Mailata was pretty ordinary at RT and Dillard showed he can hang at LT.

But overall the line suffered because we had to weaken both tackle spots. So i just dont think he's suited to a swing tackle role.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 21, 2022, 12:52 pm Basically he's a first round pick who's our swing tackle... except swing tackles ideally can play either side, so you dont have to mess up two positions. Dillard has been a pretty big disaster at RT, so much so that when Lane Johnson was out, they played Mailata at RT and Dillard at LT.

But overall the line suffered because we had to weaken both tackle spots. So i just dont think he's suited to a swing tackle role.
You have to remember. I'm a Dolphins fan. Dillard would immediately become our best OL. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2022, 1:03 pm
Botman wrote: January 21, 2022, 12:52 pm Basically he's a first round pick who's our swing tackle... except swing tackles ideally can play either side, so you dont have to mess up two positions. Dillard has been a pretty big disaster at RT, so much so that when Lane Johnson was out, they played Mailata at RT and Dillard at LT.

You have to remember. I'm a Dolphins fan. Dillard would immediately become our best OL. :lol:
There is half a dozen teams, if not more who IMO, should be interested in getting him. I really think if he was traded to a team and was just their starting LT, within 12 months he'd be considered a top 10-15 guy at the position. He's gone against some dudes in the NFL at LT and handled himself really well. He's a barely used 26 year old LT, these guys can play well into their late 30's, so you've potentially got a decade long anchor for the OL.
He's a good LT imo, he's just not a good swing tackle because he simply can't play RT.

@Matt, i feel confident in saying the only way the eagles would trade him in division is if it was for too much value than they can afford to say no too :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 21, 2022, 1:20 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2022, 1:03 pm

There is half a dozen teams, if not more who IMO, should be interested in getting him. I really think if he was traded to a team and was just their starting LT, within 12 months he'd be considered a top 10-15 guy at the position. He's gone against some dudes in the NFL at LT and handled himself really well. He's a barely used 26 year old LT, these guys can play well into their late 30's, so you've potentially got a decade long anchor for the OL.
He's a good LT imo, he's just not a good swing tackle because he simply can't play RT.

@Matt, i feel confident in saying the only way the eagles would trade him in division is if it was for too much value than they can afford to say no too :lol:
Im sure you are right, but while our LT might be a HOFer, he loves time in the recovery room. Knight isnt good enough at LT to be a swing tackle.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just read an article evaluating Patriots season. Overall they were 7-0 against teams with a losing record and 3-8 vs teams with a winning record (includes playoff loss). They been good at beating up on the weak teams. Obviously struggle against better opposition. 2022 will be an interesting year to see which way they go.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Don’t know a great deal about Schoen but he comes from an organisation and FO that built it from the ground up about as well as you can. They draft well, they understood draft capitol and it’s value compared to a proven star in Diggs, and they’ve done a great job of managing the cap despite being fairly talented and deep across the team.

So on paper it looks like a pretty good hire.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Schoen was part of the Miami scouting team for a number of years before joining the Bills. Don't know much about him although with that background you'd expect him to be big on drafting talent.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 22, 2022, 7:49 am Schoen was part of the Miami scouting team for a number of years before joining the Bills. Don't know much about him although with that background you'd expect him to be big on drafting talent.
Yeah I just read his background is in scouting
So it’ll be interesting to see what he does with those top 10 picks. I’d imagine he’s got someone in mind to come with him to help manage the cap side of things

And of course who’s he going to bring in as HC. Wonder if Daboll is the next domino to fall there

Wouldn’t feel good about Schoen/Daboll as an eagles fan, feels like that should be a fairly competent duo :(
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 22, 2022, 7:53 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 22, 2022, 7:49 am Schoen was part of the Miami scouting team for a number of years before joining the Bills. Don't know much about him although with that background you'd expect him to be big on drafting talent.
Yeah I just read his background is in scouting
So it’ll be interesting to see what he does with those top 10 picks. I’d imagine he’s got someone in mind to come with him to help manage the cap side of things

And of course who’s he going to bring in as HC. Wonder if Daboll is the next domino to fall there

Wouldn’t feel good about Schoen/Daboll as an eagles fan, feels like that should be a fairly competent duo :(
Drums are beating for Daboll to Miami where he has ties and on surface appears a good fit. Schoen to Giants adds a wrinkle to that, although we have no idea what kind of relationship he has with Daboll.

With the Giants draft picks (5 and 7) they could do anything. Grab who they want, move up for their coveted man or move back and stockpile more picks. Potentially even a combination of these. Lots of options.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I hope for both our sakes Daboll lands in Miami :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Biggest issue for Miami is their long list of failed head coaches have all been first timers in the NFL. Do we continue down this path given the lack of success to date with the approach? This is why guys like Harbaugh and Pederson would be preferred.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

More on Baltimore firing DC Wink Martindale:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/331 ... ource-says
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Big offseason for the Chargers and Herbert's immediate success with all that cap space. Basically only need a RT on Offense if Mike Williams re-signs and then pump the rest into the defense. A lot of work to do on that side of the ball though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Titans dodge a bullet. Interception on the 1st play of the game. Managed to keep them to a field goal.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bengals O-line having a lot of trouble with Titans defensive front. Looks to be their Achilles heel right now.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Love me some AJ Brown
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

16-16 all at 3-quarter time. Comes down to 4th quarter…
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Good contest. Mix of smothering defense with big offensive chunk plays by both teams.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

WHY FAKE TO HENRY 3rd and 1?!?

It's Lynch in the SB all over again
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hahahaha. That was predictable, and Bengals didn't bite
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Big call to go for it. 53 yard field goal very makeable.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

The winner of this game is gonna be slaughtered next week
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PrimetimeRaider wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:12 am The winner of this game is gonna be slaughtered next week
I would never want to predict what the Titans will deliver on a week to week basis. Most bipolar team in the playoffs.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Interesting game. I was making brunch but assuming that Titans intercept in the 3rd 'stood'? 50/50 call I thought. If that was a catch in the end zone would it stand?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sack-a-thon
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

By Adam Schefter

Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler announced his retirement on Saturday evening in a statement released by the team.

"It is an emotional day as I announce I am retiring from my football coaching career," said Butler. "I have spent every year since 1990 as a coach in the NFL and the NCAA, but the time is right for me to walk away after a successful career both playing and coaching the game I love. I want to thank the Rooney Family, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin and all the coaches and players that I have been involved with over my entire coaching career. I look forward to spending more time with my family, whom have been so supportive of me throughout the years. I wish nothing but the best to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I will be cheering them on during my retirement."
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

On no!
Westbrook inine drop becomes a pick.
20sec for FG range
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

CHASE!!
15secs.
In range
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

My tip prior to the playoffs:

Div Playoffs:
Bengals then face Tits, and win in a close 1. Henry returns and gets 100yds, but its Mixon and Chase carrying the Tigers home with some big plays in even bigger moments.

Henry only 60, BUT, Chase got his 100, and got into FG range.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That game really had an OT feel to it. Bengals prevail in regular time.

Now we get to see the 49ers get their asses handed to them.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:32 am That game really had an OT feel to it. Bengals prevail in regular time.

I hope it happens. However, I reckon 9ers will hang in there for 3 Quarters
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:38 am
Northern Raider wrote: January 23, 2022, 10:32 am That game really had an OT feel to it. Bengals prevail in regular time.

I hope it happens. However, I reckon 9ers will hang in there for 3 Quarters
Packers will have this under control by halftime.