The Golf Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by Begbie »

LP Raider wrote:Will be to much for Baddeley his driving stats are very poor, out of the aussies Day is the most likely seems to thrive on the pressure.

Put your money on Donald Begbie, over 400 holes without a three put should be consistent enough to take out the 10 mill.
Maybe so with Baddles- but if he can hit 6 under today he can do it again tomorrow if you get my point. Donald 400 holes with out a 3 put- unbelievable- thanks for that stat- just imagine if he had a long game then! I might stay up and watch this tonight- interesting!
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Begbie wrote:
LP Raider wrote:Will be to much for Baddeley his driving stats are very poor, out of the aussies Day is the most likely seems to thrive on the pressure.

Put your money on Donald Begbie, over 400 holes without a three put should be consistent enough to take out the 10 mill.
Maybe so with Baddles- but if he can hit 6 under today he can do it again tomorrow if you get my point. Donald 400 holes with out a 3 put- unbelievable- thanks for that stat- just imagine if he had a long game then! I might stay up and watch this tonight- interesting!
Have to see the replay of the playoff dude.

Bill Haas plays an unbelievable shot from the hazard on the second playoff hole to salvage par. Ends up winning the Tour championship and Fedex Cup.

Well deserved win, an the aussies played extremely well and we had 3 out of the top 6 to end the weekend.
WorkChoice
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Anyone watching the Australian Open - I've backed Jason Day to finish on top today. It sucks, no channel 10 where I live.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

I love Pesidents Cup - how good is K T Kim?!?- Why have I not heard of him before?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

The Golf Thread

Post by Postman Pat »

Begbie wrote:I love Pesidents Cup - how good is K T Kim?!?- Why have I not heard of him before?
it's great golf isn't it, the passion from these guys is great. Love Jason Day's enthusiasm.

The Korea has some amazing golfers, a lot of them play in Asia and Europe so they dont have the profile of players on the US PGA tour.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Did you seen that put Day made from off the green - shame it counted for nothing - still, great to watch! I reckon Jason will be a number one player for us in the not to distant future. Scotties been solid too. Love those Koreans!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Just tragic....

North Korean leader Kim Jong-il's death was noted on Twitter as an epic loss to golf, with hundreds recalling the Stalinist state media's reports of Kim's 11 holes-in-one in a single round in 1994.

Reports hailed Kim's 38-under par 34 over 18 holes at the 7,700-yard (7,041m) Pyongyang Golf Course in his first try at golf, a feat watched purportedly by 17 security guards protecting the man hailed as 'Dear Leader'.

Kim, who died on Saturday of a heart attack at age 69, was 52 at the time he purportedly fired a round where birdie was his worst score on any hole.

Twitter sceptics wondered whether or not Kim might have tried to surpass such stars as Tiger Woods or reigning English world number one Luke Donald had he truly gone 21 strokes below the best score from a US PGA golfer.

"Look at it this way: with Kim Jong Il dying, everybody will be moving up one spot in the world golf rankings," noted Dan Daly in a Twitter posting.

Others pondered the golf showdowns that never happened.

"Kim Jong-il's passing means Luke Donald is now indisputably golf's world no.1," tweeted John Mackay.

"Congrats Luke. Just a shame it wasn't settled on the course."

"Golf world mourns the passing of the prodigious world leader never to win a major," tweeted Shaun Hinds.

Even Paddy Power tweeted: "The world has lost a golfing legend, we're 1,000,000/1 for any PGA player to beat Kim Jong Il's record round of 38 under."

Some saw hope for Kim from beyond the grave.

Rick Reilly posted: "Just in from North Korean state news agency: Kim Jong Il's corpse shoots 54, incl 6 aces."

Nick Howell pondered what might have been, saying his record round "Could've been even better if his ball hadn't stuck under the windmill on the eleventh."

Alistair Barrie was shocked there was not more mention on golf websites, noting: "No one seems remotely concerned that the world's greatest golfer has died."

"With passing of Kim Jong Il, sports world may have lost greatest golfer of all time," tweeted HuffPost Sports.

"The golf world mourns the loss of Kim Jong-Il. Routinely scored 3 or 4 aces every round according to state run media, so it must be true," wrote Len Berman.

Ray Ratto had his suspicions, tweeting: "Don't fully buy this Kim Jong-Il golf story. Surely the Callaway people would have sent him a hat, a shoulder patch or something".

In a timely post with Christmas approaching, Chris Scoular said: "The North Korean equivalent of finding out Santa isnt real must be finding out Kim Jong Il didnt invent the hamburger or shoot a 38 in golf."
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Flicked over to the final round of the LPGA Lottee Championship yesterday and thought to myself "**** that course looks familiar". Upon watching a group playing the 18th I realised it was the Ko Alina golf course, Oahu, Hawaii, a course on which I played with my best mate the day of my wedding this time last year.

The course is easily the nicest golf course I've ever played on (though not hard due to only playing on courses throughout Canberra and the South Coast) and it certainly jacked me up to go back there as soon as possible. The day we played, there must have been, on average, 2 greenkeepers per hole, thus its pristine condition. The golf clubs provided were absolutely top shelf and the carts included GPS with which to measure your distance, and television screens with continual sports updates. Upon completing your round some ol' mate meets you on the 18th to give you a beer and a warm towel with which to wash your hands and face (bit pretentious but I still loved it).

Have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Was wondering, does anyone else have any similar golf experiences which they can share? Michael, you're a golfer, right, and you appear to have travelled to just about all parts of the bloody planet? Any unforgettable golfing stories, mate?
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I've played a lot of the best courses in Australia, but the parts of the world I've travelled to haven't involved any golfing. I didn't even see any in Central or South America, or Asia - I'll save that sort of travelling for when I'm old and decrepit.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Good luck to Adam Scott tonight in the British Open, 4 stroke lead going into the final round.
WorkChoice
freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by freddo »

What is it with Aussies falling apart during the final rounds of big tournments
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

I hope the Scott family have a drafted a suicide watch roster for Adam for the next week or two. Seriously, how bad must he be feeling right now.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Lucky bloke has Ana Ivanovic as his other half.

He'll be fine.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

yes, that would soften the blow knowing she's waiting to comfort him.
freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by freddo »

We should have a greenhouse golf day? anyone keen
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

C'mon Aussie WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

**** me, what a shot by Angel.

I hope he misses the putt.
WorkChoice
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Play-off time! Tough luck for my boy JD there, too.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Now it's turned into a chipping comp to win the Masters.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Finally we have won one, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
WorkChoice
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

GET IN THERE!
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

After 28 years of watching the Masters, this is my all time favourite sporting moment.

Adam Scott 2013 Australian sportsman of the year, this win is huge for Australian sport.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Looks like my man Scotty boy will have another chance of choking in a major, equal leader after the first round of the PGA.
WorkChoice
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

How good has Scott's year been?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Bubba Watson wins 2014 US Masters.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Has anyone seen Adam Scott's putter? It's about 1 metre wide. I reckon he's cheating.
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Gotta do something to compete with McIllroy at the moment - he's in white hot form!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Maybe it is the Kahlua laced Ice cream, but I am getting strangely fired up over the Ryder Cup..

GO TEAM EUROPE!!
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Off to a 6th play off hole.

Now for a 7th.

Scott's putting has cost him again - Chalmers takes out the win.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

So what on Earth is going on with Robert Allenby being kidnapped, beaten up and dumped in some random location..
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

The Golf Thread

Post by Raider Bell »

Saw that. Did not expect that in my newsfeed today, that's for sure.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Schifty wrote:So what on Earth is going on with Robert Allenby being kidnapped, beaten up and dumped in some random location..
The gallery from the Australian open a few years ago couldn't help themselves any longer.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Allenby once scoffed at me and turned his back. Just sayin'
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Did you send Muse on another overseas trip for a revenge mission?
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Uh-oh. You don't strike me as the kind of man who forgets. Why'd he scoff, did you ask him to buy you a beer?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"