Tokyo Olympics

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Tokyo Olympics

Post by greeneyed »

Matthew Wilson and Zac Stubblety-Cook miss the semi finals in the 100m breaststroke.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2021, 9:31 pm Fourthington.
Its like the NRL, you ease yourself into the final. Just ask Kieren Perkins; just get into the final
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Australian women dominant in the 4x100m freestyle relay. Finish first by a long way their heat. Qualify in first for the final tomorrow at 12:45pm tomorrow.

That's it for the swimming tonight.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

We can critique most sports despite not having a deep understanding of the sport .... but then ... dressage .... seriously what the **** is going on here?

It's like the John Cleese ministry of funny walks, for horses.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Watching the 3x3 basketball on the 7 plus app.

That's a sport I can get around

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Anyone watching the pommel horse? That leg form! Please.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 24, 2021, 1:15 pm What do people think about alternate versions of sports participating at the Olympics? Rugby 7s, Beach Volleyball, Mountain Bike/BMX racing. You could argue different skill sets, but surely 3 x 3 Basketball is taking the piss.
I don’t have a problem with most of them, but 3 x 3 basketball is a bridge too far.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Intense scenes at the beach volleyball!!!

Go Australia!!!
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bad luck boys!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Fourthington.
There is winning, and there is losing. None of this placing BS. He shall be called Loseington.
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

Skateboarding starts at 9:30 today.

Australia rep Shane O’Neill is in heat 2.

He is often in the top 10 in a similar event called ‘street league skateboarding’.
He’s in the same heat as Japan’s Yuto horogomi, who I think will win gold or be very close. Nyjah Huston is hot favourite though.

Overall there are some amazing skaters and I can’t wait to watch.

For non skaters you may not understand he subtleties of scoring- hoping the commentators break it right down.

Not sure if Shane will rank well, if skateboarding was in Olympics at the last games, he prob had a better chance of winning. He’s not in his prime anymore but still up there with the best
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

1. Have to laugh at the street cred of these Olympic team skateboarding outfits.

Looks like Country Road has employed the people who designed the Harvard University preppy clothing look, to copy a kids outfit from the poor streets of Los Angeles using only Louis Vuitton cotton/satin mix material.

2. Where did we find this hopeless and embarrassing Australian skateboarder to represent us? The Vaucluse skateboard park where dad drops him off in the Range Rover.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman, do you think you could explain how the skateboarding works? These commentators are "cool" but they're not really explaining it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You do tricks, the judges give you points.

It's like gymnastics on wheels

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I feel like this is going to flare up a debate the General and I had years ago, but is skateboarding a sport?

I think any activity where a judge determines the winner over individual ability makes something a competition, not a sport.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Australia’s first medal, Brendan Smith bronze in men’s 400m medley
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

the bone wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 24, 2021, 1:15 pm What do people think about alternate versions of sports participating at the Olympics? Rugby 7s, Beach Volleyball, Mountain Bike/BMX racing. You could argue different skill sets, but surely 3 x 3 Basketball is taking the piss.
I don’t have a problem with most of them, but 3 x 3 basketball is a bridge too far.
Yeah, I feel 3 x 3 and Rugby 7’s are too far. Everything else on your list is ok
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bronze for Brendon Smith. :( Didn't go as well this morning as he did last night. I was hoping for a gold there. USA takes gold and silver.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

the bone wrote:Australia’s first medal, Brendan Smith bronze in men’s 400m medley
Great job Brendan! ImageImage
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: July 25, 2021, 11:39 am Australia’s first medal, Brendan Smith bronze in men’s 400m medley
A dog **** breaststroke leg really hurt him
Lost 3-4 seconds on that leg
Came home with a wet sail but not good enough
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 25, 2021, 11:38 am I feel like this is going to flare up a debate the General and I had years ago, but is skateboarding a sport?

I think any activity where a judge determines the winner over individual ability makes something a competition, not a sport.
I think that's a sport, but it isn't a sport if it involves a machine. Motor racing isn't a sport. Events involving animals, like horses, very dubious. I'm inclined to say not. But if it is primarily the human's endeavours, possibly involving rudimentary forms of equipment, that's sport. Doesn't matter if it is judges awarding points.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Emma McKeon comes second in the Women's 100m butterfly semi final. France first. McKeon qualifies third.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:
the bone wrote: July 25, 2021, 11:39 am Australia’s first medal, Brendan Smith bronze in men’s 400m medley
Loooser, LOSER

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 25, 2021, 11:08 am Botman, do you think you could explain how the skateboarding works? These commentators are "cool" but they're not really explaining it.
Never understood skateboarding
Don’t want to
Doesn’t belong here
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 25, 2021, 11:38 am I feel like this is going to flare up a debate the General and I had years ago, but is skateboarding a sport?

I think that's a sport, but it isn't a sport if it involves a machine. Motor racing isn't a sport. Events involving animals, like horses, very dubious. I'm inclined to say not. But if it is primarily the human's endeavours, possibly involving rudimentary forms of equipment, that's sport. Doesn't matter if it is judges awarding points.
Anything that's judged isn't a sport.

Boxing wins on points can get in the bin

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: July 25, 2021, 11:47 am
Botman wrote:
Loooser, LOSER

As a friend said to me, “more like Brandon Myth”
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We're about to see some Winnington.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Our first silver, McLoughlin 2nd in 400m freestyle
Last edited by the bone on July 25, 2021, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tunisia gets gold from lane eight! Jack McLoughlin gets silver. Jack was right there, but just couldn't hold his lead in the final stages. Just so close for him. Swam a great race. USA get bronze. Winnington seventh.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Tokyo Olympics

greeneyed wrote:

See, back in the day, I would argue about Motor racing being sport. These days, when your ability to make it to the top relies on how much money you can bring over athletic ability, it’s a business and no longer a sport.

If the winner is determined by a judge, it means it’s subject to interpretation. Bias can come into play and cloud their decision. For it to be a sport, it’s got to be determined by the skill of the athlete.

@Botman - Back me up here

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That was one hell of a race. Congratulations to the young Tunisian. As for the other two, should be made to swim home.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 25, 2021, 12:02 pm
greeneyed wrote:

See, back in the day, I would argue about Motor racing being sport. These days, when your ability to make it to the top relies on how much money you can bring over athletic ability, it’s a business and no longer a sport.

If the winner is determined by a judge, it means it’s subject to interpretation. Bias can come into play and cloud their decision. For it to be a sport, it’s got to be determined by the skill of the athlete.

@Botman - Back me up here
That means anything that involves a referee or judge can't be considered a sport... So rugby league isn't a sport as the referee makes interpretations and may be subject to even unconscious biases. Under that definition, running, swimming, athletics, weight lifting the only sports. Fastest, strongest, furthest, highest, nothing else.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I really don't like seeing the USA win in the swimming. Don't like it at all. Brendon is pretty happy with the bronze by the looks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 25, 2021, 12:03 pm That was one hell of a race. Congratulations to the young Tunisian. As for the other two, should be made to swim home.
Not Mack Horton earned his ticket home, can’t begrudge them guy for this effort and being beaten by the best that a swimming powerhouse like Tunisia can offer
But Losington needs to have a good hard look at himself in the mirror and ask if he’s really about this Olympic life
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Tunisia gets gold from lane eight! Jack McLoughlin gets silver. Jack was right there, but just couldn't hold his lead in the final stages. Just so close for him. Swam a great race. USA get bronze. Winnington seventh.
Losington, disgrace