Tokyo Olympics

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Tokyo Olympics

Post by BJ »

I enjoy suddenly becoming an expert in sports I only watch every four years.

My family will likely hear me claim “that was an outstanding ten pin bowling pin twirling performance by the Hungarian gymnast, I can’t believe the Chinese judge only gave an 8.7”.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:I enjoy suddenly becoming an expert in sports I only watch every four years.

My family will likely hear me claim “that was an outstanding ten pin bowling pin twirling performance by the Hungarian gymnast, I can’t believe the Chinese judge only gave an 8.7”.
Yeah same with the diving. Boy he really struggled get out of the tuck position for the entry.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 21, 2021, 10:29 pm Swimming would be the bottom of my list. I like track and field, and then some of the more obscure. Like the different martial arts. Any news on whether HG and Roy are involved?

They seem to have some Victorians associated with the AFL who are doing something that I’m told they think is funny.
Sounds like the front bar guys... Mick Molloy, Santo (the least funny of the d gen mob) and 2 other boofheads?

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:Just watching pre opening coverage. It’s going to be tough watching completely empty stadiums, for sports you really don’t have any interest in. The Olympics is about the “event”. I also was alerted to what they’re doing on 7plus… and you can stream up to 40 different channels. That’s amazing. You can watch whatever events you want! No flicking around etc. If you want to watch the swimming, which I like, you just select the swimming channel. What a world we live in.
The Hello Sports boys made a very good point in there latest podcast in the fact a large proportion of Olympic sports are competed in front of next to no one for the other 206 weeks between Olympics. I think it’s fair to say that the athletes should be able to still perform at a very high standard.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Postman Pat wrote: July 21, 2021, 10:53 pm
greeneyed wrote:Just watching pre opening coverage. It’s going to be tough watching completely empty stadiums, for sports you really don’t have any interest in. The Olympics is about the “event”. I also was alerted to what they’re doing on 7plus… and you can stream up to 40 different channels. That’s amazing. You can watch whatever events you want! No flicking around etc. If you want to watch the swimming, which I like, you just select the swimming channel. What a world we live in.
The Hello Sports boys made a very good point in there latest podcast in the fact a large proportion of Olympic sports are competed in front of next to no one for the other 206 weeks between Olympics. I think it’s fair to say that the athletes should be able to still perform at a very high standard.
Yeah but I don’t watch them in the other 206 weeks because it’s not an event. And it’s not the same event, not being an event.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:
Yeah but I don’t watch them in the other 206 weeks because it’s not an event. And it’s not the same event, not being an event.
I’m really not sure how a collective public viewing changes your viewing pleasure, apart from panning to the crowd what changes?

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Postman Pat wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
I’m really not sure how a collective public viewing changes your viewing pleasure, apart from panning to the crowd what changes?
Exactly, who gives a **** if people are there

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I do. Not that I want to see people there if it’s not safe. Just that… watching a beach volleyball game without the crowd involvement… it is sort… who cares? It probably would have made more sense to cancel in one way.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:I do. Not that I want to see people there if it’s not safe. Just that… watching a beach volleyball game without the crowd involvement… it is sort… who cares? It probably would have made more sense to cancel in one way.
Have you watched many beach volleyball games? You might not care but it’s probably a bit more important that the beach volleyballers care.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Postman Pat wrote: July 22, 2021, 12:46 am
greeneyed wrote:I do. Not that I want to see people there if it’s not safe. Just that… watching a beach volleyball game without the crowd involvement… it is sort… who cares? It probably would have made more sense to cancel in one way.
Have you watched many beach volleyball games? You might not care but it’s probably a bit more important that the beach volleyballers care.
I’m just saying how I feel. Sure, let them play. But don’t expect me to care too much.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

gergreg wrote:If you didn't win gold gangers then your Olympic 'tip' feats will soon be forgotten.

Gold gangers?

What kind of score on the gangers system don you need to win a gold gangers?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I find myself drawn to women’s beach volleyball.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:I find myself drawn to women’s beach volleyball.
Coming up next it’s Brazil V Sweden in women’s beach volleyball. Featuring Sweden’s former top model........
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
Coming up next it’s Brazil V Sweden in women’s beach volleyball. Featuring Sweden’s former top model........
Ratings go through the roof

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:
BJ wrote:
Ratings go through the roof

“And that darling of the ice, Katarina Witt skates by”.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: July 21, 2021, 10:51 pm
BJ wrote:I enjoy suddenly becoming an expert in sports I only watch every four years.

Yeah same with the diving. Boy he really struggled get out of the tuck position for the entry.

"Christ! Imagine over rotating on a simple dive like that? Cant get away with that **** at this level. Honestly. Get it together. She'll be lucky to get 7.5 for that."
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

"Pfft amateur" he says as he finishes his 2nd beer of the evening whilst smashing a bag of chips

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 21, 2021, 10:51 pm

"Christ! Imagine over rotating on a simple dive like that? Cant get away with that **** at this level. Honestly. Get it together. She'll be lucky to get 7.5 for that."
Haha... and then when every single judge is giving 8.5's and the wacky New Zealand judge gives a 6.3. You're like 'what the **** is that kiwi judge thinking?'

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Time to wheel out this classic

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:Very excited to throw obscene vitriol at australian athletes who let the nation down, and more importantly, me personally.
Almost all of which i dont even know exist right at this very moment

I will learn of them during the course of this next 2-3 weeks, i will learn to love them, i will believe in them, if they succeed they will be showered in glory, and when they fail they will taunted and booed until my throat is sore.

I **** LOVE the Olympics.
LETS **** GOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The only thing better than the olympics is the commonwealth games
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Yep. Big shock.
I wonder what would've happened if Brisbane didn't bid

I imagine that one of the other cities that bid would have hosted it.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Olympics still a thing.

Has anyone told the old farts running the show that elite sportspeople want to be paid as well.

No one cares
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Anyone know why the teams are coming out in random order?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Anyone know why the teams are coming out in random order?
I assume they are following the Japanese alphabet. Either that, or they are playing Paper, Scissors, Rock to see who goes next. That will stuff up the contact tracing. TR?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Japanese alphabet

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thank you. I had thought France insisted the counties come out in order of the French spelling on country names.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 23, 2021, 9:54 pm
greeneyed wrote:Anyone know why the teams are coming out in random order?
I assume they are following the Japanese alphabet. Either that, or they are playing Paper, Scissors, Rock to see who goes next. That will stuff up the contact tracing. TR?
yeah thats correct
HERE OUR LOSERS COME
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Is Micahel Diamond still shooting for us? Another guaranteed gold.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Kazakhstan. Is nice
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Begbie wrote:Is Micahel Diamond still shooting for us? Another guaranteed gold.
I thought he went to jail. I could be completely off the mark (yes pun intended).

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wow… Sweden… who on earth thought that was a good idea?

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Good to see Switzerland rocking the unused Queensland tracksuits

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Sweden actually kick well, well above their weight in the Summer Olympics. 9th on the most Summer Olympics total medals of all time and a population of just 10 million. Australia are 8th and slightly ahead.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I feel sorry for the official wavers and clappers.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They must be getting tired, this has gone forever