Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

benda
Brett Mullins

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by benda »

Raiders_Pat wrote: November 29, 2021, 4:10 pm
benda wrote: November 29, 2021, 3:46 pm For anyone doubting how good it would be to get Cotric back have forgotten just how solid he was for us!
Brings ball back with interest, knows how to finish and overall id like to think holds himself to a high standard. To date no off field incidents.

He has also been to Sydney (which i predicted many years would happen) so that should be now flushed out of his system.

Get the deal done asap and the rightful owner for the Canberra "2" jersery.
I think it's less about forgetting how good he was for us and more about remembering how ordinary he was for the Bulldogs this year. I wouldn't knock it back at $450k though... but if it's any more, I think it's very reasonable to be questioning the value for money.
Dogs had heaps of other problems.... i dont think its a good gauge.

If his attitude is still good, i am sure he will recover from it.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: Nick Cotric ready for shock return to Canberra as Bulldogs make cost-cutting decision

Post by Rickmando »

I’m all for sensible cap management. Spend the big dollars in the spine, pay a few game breakers in other positions, and then fill up the rest with cheap veterans and rookies.

Nic is a local junior, rep player, and a potential game breaker. We were happy to pay Croker more than 500K pa - and he was only one of those things.

Wing is an important position in modern football. Let’s pay the man and bring him home. If it’s at the expense of Simo or one of our many other low-ceiling mediocre players, so be it
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Rickmando wrote: November 29, 2021, 4:25 pm I’m all for sensible cap management. Spend the big dollars in the spine, pay a few game breakers in other positions, and then fill up the rest with cheap veterans and rookies.

Nic is a local junior, rep player, and a potential game breaker. We were happy to pay Croker more than 500K pa - and he was only one of those things.

Wing is an important position in modern football. Let’s pay the man and bring him home. If it’s at the expense of Simo or one of our many other low-ceiling mediocre players, so be it
This is it. We're saving in the spine by paying unders for our fullback and halfback, so we have a little bit of wiggle room to spend on game-breakers elsewhere. I still don't advocate paying big money, particularly as we have so many young guns in the wings, but this is a good buy.

Also, we need a balance of experience and youth but Cotric is both. That's rare for us.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

You mean the club is spending less at haldback than the average halfback contract?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Imagine signing for a club being a winger on that sort of coin, **** the bitching and moaning would be intolerable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: November 30, 2021, 5:36 am You mean the club is spending less at haldback than the average halfback contract?
I think if you look at our two halves, we'd be spending the average/median that clubs are across their two halves. One gun, one cheapy is a common enough strategy.

We do have a budget FB.

But we spend bigger than some on our hooker (currently).

It's possible in my mind now we are paying similar overs to others in the squad like we are to Croker, which is gobbling our cap.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The fact is we're on the hook for over $1.5 million for the next three years to Croker. Now, unless things are moving in the background we aren't aware of, the Cotric signing is the type of thing you just have to accept you miss out on as a result of the poor choices made in early 2020. I don't think you can really afford to have a winger and centre pairing taking up over 10% of your cap which they will be if Cotric comes back.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I can’t disagree with your logic Rodge - I think Cotric being young and still potentially improving mitigates a lot of the risk over the course of a 3 year deal. But you’re kicking the can down the road in terms of overspending on those positions, without doubt.

If we were to miss out on him because of deals like Croker’s and Whitehead’s, it’s understandable from a financial point of view. You would just hope it’s a cautionary tale/lesson learned for the future?
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Doesnt Cotric want to play centre?
Perth Based Raiders Fan
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PerthRaider86 wrote: November 30, 2021, 8:34 am Doesnt Cotric want to play centre?
Reportedly the Bulldogs promised him they’d play him at centre and that was part of the attraction. However, he lasted a month at centre before being shifted to the wing at the Bulldogs. Maybe he’s realised that Ricky wasn’t wrong about him not being a centre.
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

greeneyed wrote:
PerthRaider86 wrote: November 30, 2021, 8:34 am Doesnt Cotric want to play centre?
Reportedly the Bulldogs promised him they’d play him at centre and that was part of the attraction. However, he lasted a month at centre before being shifted to the wing at the Bulldogs. Maybe he’s realised that Ricky wasn’t wrong about him not being a centre.
A Centre who can’t draw and pass certainly limits his value to the team.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 30, 2021, 7:53 am The fact is we're on the hook for over $1.5 million for the next three years to Croker. Now, unless things are moving in the background we aren't aware of, the Cotric signing is the type of thing you just have to accept you miss out on as a result of the poor choices made in early 2020. I don't think you can really afford to have a winger and centre pairing taking up over 10% of your cap which they will be if Cotric comes back.
Exactly - it’s a very simple discussion if the focus is on whether Nick is a better winger then Semi or Simo. You are right to dig a little deeper into whether the club is appropriately managing the cap across all positions. Nothing against Nick, but I don’t think this is the right signing, and I don’t think we have the luxury of taking a punt on the back of some very bad signings that have hurt the balance of our roster.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

⁸The decision to extend croker is looking more and more asinine with each coming day.

He's a very favourite player by many, but let's not overlook the reality.

I'd give up Croker in a heart beat to sign Cotric and keep HSS, Timoko, Rapana etc.

There is no justification to hope Croker returns. He's past it. Time to face reality, pension him off
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

dubby wrote: November 30, 2021, 1:57 pm ⁸The decision to extend croker is looking more and more asinine with each coming day.

He's a very favourite player by many, but let's not overlook the reality.

I'd give up Croker in a heart beat to sign Cotric and keep HSS, Timoko, Rapana etc.

There is no justification to hope Croker returns. He's past it. Time to face reality, pension him off
Sacrilege Dubby! You’ll get told off for speaking such sense!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Can't think of anyone who thought the Croker extension was a good move at the time.

From what I can gather, it sounds like the extension provided the club with an opportunity to restructure his previous contact a little to reduce his annual salary by around $100-150k p.a., but extend him for a few years. Maybe that helped us maintain our 2019 squad? Dunno. Either way, it hasn't turned out well.

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Wests Tigers join race to snare Bulldogs winger Nick Cotric

A surprise contender is poised to hijack Nick Cotric’s return to Canberra after coming in with a big offer for the out-of-favour Bulldog. He was poised for an immediate return to Canberra but in a late twist, former NSW winger Nick Cotric could now be headed to Wests Tigers.

Just a week after the club signed Parramatta forward Isaiah Papali’i for 2023, Wests Tigers have positioned themselves to secure Cotric. Cotric bought a home near Sutherland and wants to remain in Sydney. He wants to renovate his house.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 28604e9fca

Tigers confirm shock raid for Bulldogs’ versatile ex-Origin gun Nick Cotric: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a533820d94
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Good news!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

My view of Cotric would significantly decrease should he go to Tigers. If you go from 1 cellar dweller to another, to chase coin, you quickly start falling into the mercenary category.
Now, I'm an advocate for players making what they can while they have the ability but, bad career moves back to back will leave some bad tape and reputation for the next gig... if there is 1. He'd be better off cutting out the middle man and going to Eels. At least they are a shot at finals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have to agree Matt. Going to the Tigers would be a disaster for him. Basket case. I think it would be a shame if the Raiders missed out, but they shouldn't get in any bidding war. He shouldn't take up more than $450,000 of the cap, given the way he's been playing. The Raiders should stick to that.
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

Let him go to the Tigers we have enough young guns coming through.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 30, 2021, 2:55 pm Can't think of anyone who thought the Croker extension was a good move at the time.

From what I can gather, it sounds like the extension provided the club with an opportunity to restructure his previous contact a little to reduce his annual salary by around $100-150k p.a., but extend him for a few years. Maybe that helped us maintain our 2019 squad? Dunno. Either way, it hasn't turned out well.
I can

Seiffert82 wrote: February 17, 2020, 2:05 pm Yeah, Croker is crap. Massive overs. Yawn.

He'd be on the equivalent of ~$550k under the cap (after taking up a slice of the junior/long serving player allowance). Seems reasonable when Taser Boy Scott is reportedly on ~$450.

The club seems to be doing quite a good job managing this salary cap thing. I'll leave it to them to sort out.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

:o
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Couldn’t have turned out better for us.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Didnt the initial reports state he didnt want to go to the Tigers , therefore they have already approached him
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: November 30, 2021, 6:31 pm Didnt the initial reports state he didnt want to go to the Tigers , therefore they have already approached him
Money talks part of the reason he left in the first place
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: November 30, 2021, 6:31 pm Didnt the initial reports state he didnt want to go to the Tigers , therefore they have already approached him
Yes they did state that.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

What happened to the “Cotric is reluctant to join West’s” narrative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

You’d feel more confident about the path if we were in a bidding war with the roosters for a player being released by the Panthers rather than a war with the tigers over a player the doggies are looking to flog off.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I'm all for Cotric returning- he makes our backline significantly stronger whichever way we shape it.

But also absolutely don't get shifted even 50k in a bidding war. He wants to go to Tigpies and they want a 500k winger. Have at it.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Danaman137 wrote: November 30, 2021, 6:47 pm What happened to the “Cotric is reluctant to join West’s” narrative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's called a "Sam Ayoub".
BigPapa
John Ferguson

Post by BigPapa »

Successful clubs never pay top dollar for wingers it's bad business and currently why the Dogs are looking to offload him.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Yeah not getting into a bidding war....Especially if it means Timoko or HSS miss out. The Tigers can have him if it's about the cash
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Not interested in getting in a bidding war with the Tigers. If I was the club I'd stick firm and say you can take our offer or go and play for the basket case that is Wests.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Sounds like he is off to the Tigers! What an anti climax
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

What a hugely disappointing off season....It's obvious to me the reports are true about our cap space