Official: Todd Carney sacked

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bailes23
Gerry De La Cruz

Re: Official: Todd Carney Sacked

Post by Bailes23 »

love_the_green wrote: Todd, you can thank your stupid manager for this outcome.
He can thank himself.. three stuff ups in 12 months. He's lucky he lasted this long.
GoldCoast Raider wrote:We need to support the team , stay strong , we can build something around the herbs , but we may need to change our style of play a little.
Well said GoldCoast Raider... This is the attitude we as Raiders fans need to take to the game on Sunday!
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

ak47 wrote:In all the years of supporting the raiders
This is my lowest moment
The most inept decision I have ever heard
We sign Tilse, Williams who have bad history
We sack our son, who has issues
Seriously they couldn’t come to an agreement???
In 1.5 yrs time he could be belting us at bruce stadium (sadly I hope he does to prove what a wanker D furner n Co are)
WE HAVE THE MOST STUBBORN WANKERS RUNNING THIS CLUB
:clap:
nasty_daddy
John Ferguson

Post by nasty_daddy »

100%green wrote:Congrats to Management for sticking to their guns and making the right decision.
Second that.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

the only thing we can build around herb right now is a garden.
a herb garden.
fed by compost...

the kid isnt a first grade half back yet.
adm007
Dean Lance

Post by adm007 »

I love the raiders i love its players and the supporters are great but i hate management and their inept abilties to do what they need to do and that is manage, And Todd Carney is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of their poor decision making capabilties
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Just as long as he isn't playing NRL in the next two years.

Now we are left with $400k doing nothing, with no one left on the market, after losing our only star player.

Well done Todd. Well done management.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

Something tells me that Todd was happy with the 5 point plan but his Manager wasn't. I think thats what cost us in the end.

If Todd loved this club he would have said ok, i stand down this season.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

julian87 wrote:Just as long as he isn't playing NRL in the next two years.

Now we are left with $400k doing nothing, with no one left on the market, after losing our only star player.

Well done Todd. Well done management.
throw the money @ thurling n picker.. give em bigger/longer contracts
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

adm007 wrote:I love the raiders i love its players and the supporters are great but i hate management and their inept abilties to do what they need to do and that is manage, And Todd Carney is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of their poor decision making capabilties
I agree, the club has made some very poor decisions in the past. good on them for sticking to their guns, but at times like this pride needs to be checked out the door.
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

I am absolutely **** gutted... Dn't know what else to say.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Martini
Gary Coyne

Post by Martini »

He dug his own grave. Innocent or not the latest incident on the weekend was never going to sit well with the club or media. Even if he was acting like an angel the fact that he was associated with some sort of argument will leave him open to people to slant the story any which way they please. That said i am a little suprised he was cut but not at all shocked.

So i hope everyone on here that was beating the herbert drum over dobson is correct! Carney has hardly shown all the promise that has been talked of yet so who knows it may not be as big loss as some think.
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

Bronx Goodwin's Facebook update

Bronx Goodwin is feelin 4 his mate !!! tc.
Guy Incognito
Jason Croker

Post by Guy Incognito »

Its disappointing but he only has himself to blame.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

david231280 wrote:Bronx Goodwin's Facebook update

at least they can keep each other company in the unemployment line?
RSK
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campo.

Post by RSK »

david231280 wrote:Bronx Goodwin's Facebook update

Just saw that. Doesn't look good for Bronx when his decision rolls around.
The world appears in shades of green.
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

I now know what it feels like to be a bulldogs fan...................which i hate!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Martini wrote:He dug his own grave. Innocent or not the latest incident on the weekend was never going to sit well with the club or media. Even if he was acting like an angel the fact that he was associated with some sort of argument will leave him open to people to slant the story any which way they please. That said i am a little suprised he was cut but not at all shocked.

So i hope everyone on here that was beating the herbert drum over dobson is correct! Carney has hardly shown all the promise that has been talked of yet so who knows it may not be as big loss as some think.

do not worry your pretty little head over that one..
This place is woke.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

adm007
Dean Lance

Post by adm007 »

i think in all this we have lost another player as well Bronx Goodwin, do we honestly have a big enough squad to compete next year, im not being a smart **** but it seems we are going into 09 very skinny
greenlining
Peter Jackson

Post by greenlining »

This stinks.
Why do I support this club? We are all suckers for eternal punishment.
steve3800
Simon Woolford

Post by steve3800 »

Todd's future was in his hands. The club stood by todd despite the many off field indiscretions and did its best to keep him out of trouble. The Raiders are a team. You have guys like Alan Tongue who drive 10 hours from a funeral (close family member) to pass a fitness test to take the field. Then you have Todd who thinks its a great idea to go out and get p*ssed with Bronx and p*ss on someones leg/head etc. What do you think the other players think? do you think they want Todd derailing their season each year because he cant behave himself when out? He is a grown man not a child. Its lucky the guy he p*ssed on didnt snap him, if it were me i wouldnt have been so understanding despite being a raiders supporter forever.

If you are going to be angry, be angry at todd. The board didnt tell him to go out and p*ss on someones leg. They had their hands forced by a guy that just couldnt learn his lesson and thinks p*ssing on people is socially acceptable. For those tools who keep crying his innocent, have a think about it. Do you really think the club would sack one of their largest investments without actually knowing EXACTLY what happened? there is probably a lot more things that have happened that never went public and they have just had enough.

The Raiders are a team, and they cannot keep pinning their season around a childish fool who lets the team down at the most important part of the year.

Maybe Todd will learn a very valuable lesson out of this...........a very valuable lesson.
GREENHELL!
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

Todd Carney sacked by Raiders, banned by NRL

The Canberra Raiders have torn up the contract of Todd Carney.

Canberra chief executive Don Furner said the board arrived at the decision this morning following a series of off-field behavioral issues with the representative halfback.

"The board decided they had had enough," Furner told reporters this afternoon after releasing Carney from his $400,000 a year contract.

Carney met with the board this morning in a bid to have a suspension imposed for the remainder of the 2008 season revoked.

The controversial playmaker was handed a five-point ultimatum last week, which stipulated he would have to undertake counselling, go on an alcohol ban until 2012 and remain suspended from playing until 2009.

"The board met and discussed Todd with his manager and they were granted the request to put his case to the board, and regrettably the board after deliberation chose to terminate his contract today," said Furner.

"They felt they had given him enough chances and that he could continue no longer.

"The decision was made that he had plenty of chances over his time with the club, and with his behavioural issues the board decided that they had had enough and that's what they came up with.”

Furner said the decision was made even more difficult considering Carney was local product with countless hours having been put in his development.

He said the club is willing to assist Carney through his rehabilitation including funding for any counseling services or rehabilitation plan.

Carney is expected to be de-registered by the NRL to avoid him joining any other club.

http://www.rugbyleaguelive.com.au/Artic ... arney.aspx
ddp
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joel Thompson

Post by ddp »

What an absolute **** joke!
Other clubs back their players after rape charges and god knows what, and we sack our only star.
I am stunned at the moment.
Always Green!
Walt Flanigan
Jason Croker

Post by Walt Flanigan »

While disappointed, he did deserve it. I'm actually quite proud of the club today. That decision took some balls.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

david231280 wrote:
He said the club is willing to assist Carney through his rehabilitation including funding for any counseling services or rehabilitation plan.
Wow, if true the club is really standing up and being the bigger man here.

:shock:
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

nasty_daddy wrote:
TongueFTW wrote:So far this season we have lost:
Michael Weyman, Michael Dobson, Colin Best, Neville Costigan, Marshall Chalk, William Zillman, and Todd Carney - possibly more to leave (Logan, for example). What an absolute joke the management of this club is. Say what you will about the reasons for these players leaving, but you would think a plan would be in place for backing up the players up.

I will always support this club, but my God, management is making it difficult.
I'm pretty sure Logan is signed to return next year.
  • Weyman's good when he's all there, but he's too patchy for mine. He's spent a lot of time on the sidelines with injuries and on-field discipline issues.
    Dobson as it turns out has left us short of potential halves, now that Carney's no longer with the side, but he had an opportunity to get a starting position every week, when the best we could do was let him play for South Logan while he waited for an injury (or sacking) from our regular pairing.
    Best is definitely unfortunate. He was fairly solid up to the point that he signed with Souths, but has lifted since running out onto the field at ANZ against the Bulldogs.
    Costigan wouldn't be an automatic selection in most people's Top 17, and the guys we've signed for next season will give us a fair bit of depth in the 2nd Row. I'm happy to see Nev move on.
    Chalk's solid, but to me he's nothing more than a super-sub who can fill in at most positions. I wouldn't play him as starting Fullback, Wing, Centre or 2nd Row, again I'm not upset that he's going.
    Zillman is another that I'd have preferred to keep, but he's had 2 season-ending knee injuries in successive seasons, and his non-showing has allowed Milne to shine. If the Titans can keep him on the field all season, it might come back to bite us that he wasn't signed, but if he was as keen to get back to his family as I'm led to believe, we might never have stood a chance.
    Carney has had one off-field drama after another. How many times could management (and the fans) excuse him, for the sake of keeping him in the Lime Green?
It's a shame that of all the 5 points, the one that he's rejected is the one that would have seen him miss only 5 more regular season games (plus up to 4 weeks of finals), but as long as he's not rewarded by an increased contract at another NRL club over the next 2 seasons, I can live with it.

Sorry to see you go Toddy, better luck next time.
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
adm007
Dean Lance

Post by adm007 »

Butters wrote:
david231280 wrote:

Todd will be giving them the big up yours to that
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Big call...very big call.

Remember, before anyone explodes....

The club knows a LOT more about Carney than has been revealed in the press.

Keep it in mind.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

steve3800 wrote:Todd's future was in his hands. The club stood by todd despite the many off field indiscretions and did its best to keep him out of trouble. The Raiders are a team. You have guys like Alan Tongue who drive 10 hours from a funeral (close family member) to pass a fitness test to take the field. Then you have Todd who thinks its a great idea to go out and get p*ssed with Bronx and p*ss on someones leg/head etc. What do you think the other players think? do you think they want Todd derailing their season each year because he cant behave himself when out? He is a grown man not a child. Its lucky the guy he p*ssed on didnt snap him, if it were me i wouldnt have been so understanding despite being a raiders supporter forever.

If you are going to be angry, be angry at todd. The board didnt tell him to go out and p*ss on someones leg. They had their hands forced by a guy that just couldnt learn his lesson and thinks p*ssing on people is socially acceptable. For those tools who keep crying his innocent, have a think about it. Do you really think the club would sack one of their largest investments without actually knowing EXACTLY what happened? there is probably a lot more things that have happened that never went public and they have just had enough.

The Raiders are a team, and they cannot keep pinning their season around a childish fool who lets the team down at the most important part of the year.

Maybe Todd will learn a very valuable lesson out of this...........a very valuable lesson.
:clap: :cry:
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

adm007 wrote:
Butters wrote:
david231280 wrote:

Todd will be giving them the big up yours to that
Probably - well at least he can get back to his favourite pastime now - i.e. getting on the piss and acting like a grub.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

on a side note...

i wonder how Herb is feeling?

sad to see carney go? excited knowing that he'll be first choice halfback for a while?
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

Raiders terminate Carney's contract

The CFMEU Canberra Raiders have terminated the contract of Raiders halfback Todd Carney, following a meeting of the Raiders board today.

The board met with Carney and manager David Riolo to discuss a number of matters in regards to Carney's off-field behaviour, before coming to the decision to terminate Carney's contract.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the board agonized over the decision, but unanimously felt that it was the best decision in the interest of the club going forward.

"The board met and discussed Todd with his manager and they were granted the request to put his case to the board, and regrettably the board after deliberation chose to terminate his contract today," Furner said.

"They felt they had given him enough chances and that he could continue no longer.

"The decision was made that he had plenty of chances over his time with the club, and with his behavioural issues the board decided that they had had enough and that's what they came up with."

Furner said the decision was made even more difficult that Todd was local product and countless hours have been put in his development. He said the club is willing to assist Todd through his rehabilitation including funding for any counseling services or rehabilitation plan.

http://www.raiders.com.au
beetlejuice
David Furner

Post by beetlejuice »

MCLINDEN!!!!!!!! WE NEED YOU!
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

very very mixed emotions here , sorta like when he got himself in the **** in the first place (this year ) i had a gut feeling he was on his last legs as it was , and there was no coming back , but the board give him ANOTHER lifeline , all he had to do was sit out the season and improve his behaviour , but no .... i wanna play, we are gonna make the finals , another drama the team did not need

i dont know the details of his contract , but im pretty sure there would be something in it to protect the club from having to 1. pay him out 2. not register his contract for the four years 3. put up with his **** any more -

fair enough he is mates with all the players , and probably a good bloke off the piss
and will be a great player , if he can get it right

but the nrl should NOT register him for the remainder of his contract -3ys because he had an option for the fouth

good luck with life Todd , sorry to see you go but the thing is .....this had to be done

YOU ARE NOT BIGGER THAN THE RAIDERS

NO PLAYER EVER IS - LIFE WILL GO ON - WE WILL WIN WITHOUT YOU :hi

well thats my say on the matter for now anyway
Tixie
Peter Jackson

Post by Tixie »

About bl**dy time - He's been given more chances than most and keeps finding trouble - the disruption his behaviour has caused to the teams run this whole year his unforgiveable.

Salford will probably get him and end up regretting it!
1st Field Hygiene - We clean up after you!
Stop dribbling - it's an environmental hazard

RAIDERS MEMBER #5213