Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Richo72
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Richo72 »

greeneyed wrote: November 8, 2021, 1:15 pm ‘Nobody spoke up’: Discarded star Joey Leilua sprays Madge, Tigers culture over ugly exit

Wests Tigers discard Joey Leilua has taken aim at Michael Maguire and believes he was axed by the club for standing up to the coach.

“When I played in Canberra, we all spoke up, didn’t matter if you played two games, one game, zero games if you trained with us in pre-season you had a say in the team…but we didn’t have that at the Wests Tigers. (Stuart) was like the person where if you see something, you talk about it, everyone spoke up so that’s where I thought I was at with the club, you speak up and that’s how you got the best out of each other.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ca1488992e
Surely he'd be worth a punt on a "train and trial" deal, especially if his family is in Canberra?
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Richo72 wrote: November 8, 2021, 4:23 pm
greeneyed wrote: November 8, 2021, 1:15 pm ‘Nobody spoke up’: Discarded star Joey Leilua sprays Madge, Tigers culture over ugly exit

Wests Tigers discard Joey Leilua has taken aim at Michael Maguire and believes he was axed by the club for standing up to the coach.

“When I played in Canberra, we all spoke up, didn’t matter if you played two games, one game, zero games if you trained with us in pre-season you had a say in the team…but we didn’t have that at the Wests Tigers. (Stuart) was like the person where if you see something, you talk about it, everyone spoke up so that’s where I thought I was at with the club, you speak up and that’s how you got the best out of each other.”

Surely he'd be worth a punt on a "train and trial" deal, especially if his family is in Canberra?
Off the bench and angry!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

He left the Raiders having a whinge about Ricky, now whinging about Mcguire ( not sure about the clubs before us)
There is a pattern here.....
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Adam Cook, train and trial deal with the Warriors: https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2021/11/ ... nto-gear2/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:Adam Cook, train and trial deal with the Warriors: https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2021/11/ ... nto-gear2/
good kid, not sure he's an nrl player

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

Richo72 wrote: November 8, 2021, 4:23 pm Surely he'd be worth a punt on a "train and trial" deal, especially if his family is in Canberra?
I'd offer him a 1 year minimum salary as a bench forward. Let him and Rapa have a swansong.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: November 8, 2021, 7:18 pm No.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
That’s the correct answer. Good luck to BJ and hope someone takes a punt on him (doubt it though) but should we…. See above - No!
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

While we're at it, lets get Adam Mogg back. What's Josh McCrone up to? Glenn Buttriss? Kris Kahler? Terry Martin?

Christ on a bike.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders hooker Simon Woolford joins Parramatta Eels coaching staff

Former Canberra and Dragons hooker Simon Woolford is set to join the coaching staff at Parramatta. Woolford will coach the Eels' Jersey Flegg side and mentor the club's best young players.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-news-t ... e6ea36066b
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders fullback Caleb Aekins signs with Leigh Centurions

Leigh Centurions have signed former NRL fullback Caleb Aekins who becomes the latest addition to the playing squad ahead of the 2022 Betfred Championship campaign.

Aekins, 23, played seven games for Canberra Raiders in the current 2021 season after first making his NRL debut with Penrith Panthers in 2018.

Read more: https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/v2/blog/2021/1 ... enturions/
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

Timbo wrote: November 9, 2021, 1:25 pm

While we're at it, lets get Adam Mogg back. What's Josh McCrone up to? Glenn Buttriss? Kris Kahler? Terry Martin?

Christ on a bike.
I'd love to get Adam Mogg back... throw him the assistant coach role to be next in line to the throne.

He's just stood down as Redcliffe coach with a handy record:
• two Intrust Super Cup grand finals (2016 and 2018)
• Intrust Super Cup minor premierships (2016 and 2018)
• two Queensland Rugby League club championships (2016 and 2017)
• Intrust Super Cup Cup premiership winner 2018
• National State Championship runner-up in 2018

Never heard of Christ Onabi'ke, but he'd probably love the bike paths.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joseph Leilua reportedly has an NRL lifeline on the table from English second-tier club the Featherstone Rovers: https://www.zerotackle.com/former-tiger ... le-111940/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Stuckey named the pick of the Pride: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/11/22/ ... the-pride/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joey Leilua tests positive for COVID, signs with Featherstone

Manly Sea Eagles player Josh Aloia has become the first NRL player to test positive for Covid-19, which has seen his highly-anticipated boxing bout against Paul Gallen postponed. Joey Leilua, who was training with Aloiai and due to fight on the card, tested positive several days ago and Aloiai also received a positive result on Wednesday morning. Leilua was scheduled to fight Chris Heighington on the undercard in Newcastle. But Leilua is unlikely to appear in a postponed event as he just signed with English side Featherstone and was set to fly out after the bout.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/bre ... f51e54d2a3
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hope the big fella has a speedy full recovery and kills it for Featherstone.

Is there a pathway to the SuperLeague for him? Is Featherstone a feeder club he can be selected from or will he only get a shot of Featherstone is promoted to the 1st division (if that’s even possible?)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No. Plus promotion doesn’t happen until the end of next season.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: November 24, 2021, 10:07 pm No. Plus promotion doesn’t happen until the end of next season.
I didn’t see him getting another NRL contract but I would have thought he’d crack first div in the UK. Maybe the standard over there has lifted a bit.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of young outside back Junior Tupou, effective immediately, for the next three seasons. A New South Wales U/16’s and U/18’s representative player, the 19-year-old played SG Ball for the Canberra Raiders before linking up with rugby union outfit, the Brumbies, for the past year, which also saw him selected for the Junior Wallabies in 2021.

Read more: https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/202 ... ior-tupou/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:Wests Tigers sign Junior Tupou

Wests Tigers are pleased to announce the signing of young outside back Junior Tupou, effective immediately, for the next three seasons. A New South Wales U/16’s and U/18’s representative player, the 19-year-old played SG Ball for the Canberra Raiders before linking up with rugby union outfit, the Brumbies, for the past year, which also saw him selected for the Junior Wallabies in 2021.

Read more: https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/202 ... ior-tupou/
I don't remember the name

Edrick The Entertainer
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Kai O'Donnell has returned to the Burleigh Bears
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Do we have a link/source on Kai O'Donnell?

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

I received an email from the club.. "The UAA Burleigh Bears are pleased to announce the signing of Kai O’Donnell. Kai came through the Clubs MMC and Colts system and was part of the ISC team in 2018 before spending the last 3 season with the Canberra Raiders."
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Canberra Raiders back Adrian Purtell named as coach for Eden Tigers

The Eden Tigers have made out like bandits after securing the services of former NRL player Adrian Purtell as first grade coach for season 2022. Purtell, who was named the Canberra Raiders rookie of the year in his maiden season in 2006, was announced as coach for the Mighty Tigers on social media on Friday.

Purtell will make the shift from Albury to Eden this week and join the club for his maiden training run on Thursday night where players will have a run and a casual barbecue with the incoming coach.

Read more: https://www.edenmagnet.com.au/story/753 ... rs/?cs=659
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

I heard Purtell is ‘running’ to Eden to take up the new job. He’s expected to make it for the start of Season 2031.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders have lost juniors player Joe Roberts to Blacktown Sea Eagles.

Read more: https://blacktownworkersseaeagles.com.a ... e-roberts/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I just watched a Fox League replay of Raiders v Broncos. 1993 played at Bruce.

The ball handling, knowing where the receiver was always.

It was hot potato with purpose, poise and skill.

They were a fantastic bunch of players.

Raiders team.
1. Gary Belcher
2. Noa Nadruku
3. Mal Meninga
4. Brett Mullins
5. Sean Hoppe
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Paul Osborne
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. David Furner
12. Quentin Pongia
13. Jason Croker

40. David Boyle
41. David Westley

Lomax was kicking goals, well attempting to.

1993..the premiership we should have won.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:I just watched a Fox League replay of Raiders v Broncos. 1993 played at Bruce.

The ball handling, knowing where the receiver was always.

It was hot potato with purpose, poise and skill.

They were a fantastic bunch of players.

Raiders team.
1. Gary Belcher
2. Noa Nadruku
3. Mal Meninga
4. Brett Mullins
5. Sean Hoppe
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Paul Osborne
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. David Furner
12. Quentin Pongia
13. Jason Croker

40. David Boyle
41. David Westley

Lomax was kicking goals, well attempting to.

1993..the premiership we should have won.
was it 93 or 94 Ruben had the contract drama?

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ123
Noa Nadruku

Post by BJ123 »

Early 94 when Wiki had the dramas from memory. Warriors came into comp 1995.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Caution: this might be a bit much for some people.

‘Lost everything’: Former NRL star Brett Finch reveals rock bottom: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/lost- ... 36f82a5815
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BJ123 wrote: December 11, 2021, 5:11 pm Early 94 when Wiki had the dramas from memory. Warriors came into comp 1995.
It was early 95. He sat out the first 5-10 rounds.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

yurithe1 wrote: December 11, 2021, 6:21 pm Caution: this might be a bit much for some people.

‘Lost everything’: Former NRL star Brett Finch reveals rock bottom: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/lost- ... 36f82a5815
If you draw the analogy to big night out when you play up more than you’d hoped. If you are full of regret and feeling embarrassed you tend to mention it little and quietly learn from your mistakes. When you tell the world about just how wild you were it’s hard not to feel that you might be glorifying your behaviour just a little. I hope Brett is on a path he needs to be.
BJ123
Noa Nadruku

Post by BJ123 »

Billy Walker wrote:
yurithe1 wrote: December 11, 2021, 6:21 pm Caution: this might be a bit much for some people.

If you draw the analogy to big night out when you play up more than you’d hoped. If you are full of regret and feeling embarrassed you tend to mention it little and quietly learn from your mistakes. When you tell the world about just how wild you were it’s hard not to feel that you might be glorifying your behaviour just a little. I hope Brett is on a path he needs to be.
I’m also a little concerned he loves the limelight more than the lesson.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ123 wrote: December 13, 2021, 9:36 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

I’m also a little concerned he loves the limelight more than the lesson.
Hoping it’s not the case for Brett, but I remember watching a doco on the drug troubles of former West Coast Eagle Ben Cousins and what stuck out to me was the passion in his voice when he described his benders and euphoria or the drugs he took. I’ve luckily lived a life where I’ve avoided those vices, but I found it hard to reconcile how someone so taken by his addiction could possibly kick it. Like I say I hope Brett is on a different healthy path but not sure about the value of that story.