Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

yurithe1 wrote: August 24, 2021, 3:17 pm
Billy Walker wrote: August 23, 2021, 7:13 pm
gergreg wrote: August 23, 2021, 5:50 pm
zim wrote:There's no problem having a winger with a bit of bulk if you've also got speedster. Dogs have had nothing. Next year they'll have someone lightning quick at fullback (Dufty), on the wing (Addo-Carr) and at centre (Naden). But that contract was always too big for Cotric.
They might even have the guys around him to give him another go at learning centre next year.
Could always end up at the Roosters if the dogs are paying half that contract.
It would be so typical of this competition if he ended up at the Roosters with Bulldogs paying half his salary. We all love to point the finger at certain clubs for managing their cap, or sombrero but a bigger problem is those basket case clubs with stupid cap management.
Do you reckon the chooks would want him though? I’m not trying to bag him, I liked what he did for us but I don’t think his highlight package approaches Nofualuma or Momano let alone Ado-Carr, Saab, To’o, Sivo or Johnson. I certainly wouldn’t have him in the top 5 wingers in the game.
To be fair, he believed in himself that he could make it as a centre. Ricky was unconvinced after giving him (IIRC) two shots at that position. He has the size to make it as a centre, but to me he doesn't seem to have much in the way of ball-playing skills to create opportunities for his winger or inside men.

I'd be happy to eat crow if he gets shown how to play in that position and kills it. I think at this stage though, if he is on the short list to be released, he's going have to sound out someone on his own since the Doggies probably won't invest in someone who might not be there next year.
Yeah I was calling for him to be a centre when he was here but agree he hasn’t excelled there. He is a tough one - lots going for him but I think he is on the slide and might struggle to find his groove.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Todd Carney and Glenn Buttriss launch a vodka brand - never surrender

https://www.drinknevs.com.au/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

-TW- wrote: September 2, 2021, 9:10 am Todd Carney and Glenn Buttriss launch a vodka brand - never surrender

Imagine my surprise...
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

-TW- wrote: September 2, 2021, 9:10 am Todd Carney and Glenn Buttriss launch a vodka brand - never surrender

"The drink was inspired by that one time I jumped on my neighbours four-wheeler without permission at 5am, turned it on and held the throttle open on it until they came outside."

Eh good on him. I wish I had the capital to start a brewery/distillery. Low alcohol beer is booming.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Carney reckons the Vodka is so good he’ll drink it straight from the bubbler.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I wonder if Santiago knows about this

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Obviously they both wrote the blurb for the website. That was painful to read.

Never surrender to bad spelling and grammar.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Old School Green wrote:Obviously they both wrote the blurb for the website. That was painful to read.

Never surrender to bad spelling and grammar.
That was beyond painful

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Madge confirms duo's exit with his own future clouded

Michael Maguire has confirmed Joey Leilua and Michael Chee-Kam’s time at the Tigers is over ahead of the their final round clash with the Bulldogs

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d737d28c69
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Joey strikes me as someone who will struggle to accept the reality of being an ageing sportsman and writing cheques his body won’t be able to cash. I predict he will make this thread in future over an incident in some suburban lower grade comp where his frustrations get the better of him. Hope I’m wrong and he gracefully transitions into a happy life post footy.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

He's basically John Hopoate #2
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Dugan retires after Cronulla Sharks terminate contract over COVID breaches

Josh Dugan has announced his retirement less than an hour after Cronulla terminated the few months of his contract following a second breach of the NRL's biosecurity rules.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/10/sha ... -breaches/

Cronulla Sharks statement

The Sharks have terminated the contract of Josh Dugan following a second Apollo protocols breach.

The decision was made after a review and internal hearing process, with the Club and Josh's management mutually agreeing to the immediate termination.

The second breach occurred on August 20, with Josh having fronted the Sharks Disciplinary Committee for a previous breach which occurred back in June.

The Sharks will make no further comment on the matter.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What a waste..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

dubby wrote: September 7, 2021, 3:00 pm He's basically John Hopoate #2
I think that is a very inaccurate slur on Joey. He may have been somewhat of a tool onfield, rash reactions etc, but he was never despicable character that Hopoate frequently proved himself to be, plus his behaviour off field after a shaky early life was very good by NRL standards. Hopoate was a stain on the game, Joey was not.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-PJ- wrote: September 10, 2021, 5:48 pmWhat a waste..
You say that now PJ, but I’m tipping reality TV will truely allow this lad to blossom.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Anthony Milford arrested over alleged domestic violence

Brisbane playmaker Anthony Milford was arrested overnight following an alleged assault in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane. Milford, 27, was arrested at 2am on Monday morning with three counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and one count of wilful damage. It has been reported by 4BC radio that the three charges are all related to allegations of domestic violence.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5c029faf33
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Oh dear...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

There is this undeniable trend with some NRL players.

>Get good contract
>Train and play well
>One day, just don't
>Decide you hate money
>Do/be alleged to have done something dumb and illegal
>Contract torn up
>End up playing in QLD/NSW Cup
>Repeat above steps until you have busted yourself down to mowing lawns
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The article I read didn’t report it as a domestic violence matter. That is terrible news for all involved.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Finch, Carney, Dugan, Milford.

Clear examples of emerging superstars who leave the small pond of Canberra for the excitement and opportunity of the big city, before they have properly developed as people and players.

I’m confident they all would have had better careers if they’d knuckled to another few seasons in Canberra before moving on.

Maturity and mental development trumps raw football skills on so many occasions.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

BJ wrote: September 20, 2021, 10:47 am Finch, Carney, Dugan, Milford.

Clear examples of emerging superstars who leave the small pond of Canberra for the excitement and opportunity of the big city, before they have properly developed as people and players.

I’m confident they all would have had better careers if they’d knuckled to another few seasons in Canberra before moving on.

Maturity and mental development trumps raw football skills on so many occasions.
I disagree. I’ve often thought there’s plenty of players who never would have played rep footy if they’d stayed in Canberra, or at least not been a mainstay.

Finch got rep duties playing for the glamour club Roosters.

Gus Gould said Carney was “too loose” for rep-level football. Played for the blues 12 months later as a Rooster and won the Dally M.

Dugan played one game for the blues as a Raider, got dropped immediately ala Campese and Ryan O’Hara. Becomes a mainstay after joining the Dragons and Sharks.

Milford goes from being a talented kid in a bottom 4 side to being a second away from being the Clive Churchill medalist in a grand final winning Broncos side the very next year.

I genuinely think there is (or has been) an anti-Raiders bias when it comes to rep selection. Some of it to do with the “out of Sydney” location, some of it to do with the club underachieving.

The quickest path to rep footy was to play for the Roosters and Dragons. I also doubt the likes of Paul Vaughan and Michael Weyman would have played rep footy if they stayed in Canberra.

I think the likes of Finch, Carney, Dugan, Milford staying in Canberra longer than they did would not have allowed them to “mature”, if anything most were toxic influences on the path of self destruction.

As sad as it is for Raiders fans, they don’t go onto to win Dally Ms and play in grand finals and play multiple rep games for the blues and Australia by staying in Canberra.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

I think you are extremely naïve if you believe that any of our guys above are doe eyed innocents before they leave Canberra.
The small pond and friendly / disinterested local media means that they can probably get a way with a whole lot more. Does anyone believe that if James Tedesco went around randomly assaulting punters like Jackie Boi the story would be out of the headlines for so long?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Finchy wrote: September 20, 2021, 11:05 am

I disagree. I’ve often thought there’s plenty of players who never would have played rep footy if they’d stayed in Canberra, or at least not been a mainstay.

Gus Gould said Carney was “too loose” for rep-level football. Played for the blues 12 months later as a Rooster and won the Dally M.

Dugan played one game for the blues as a Raider, got dropped immediately ala Campese and Ryan O’Hara. Becomes a mainstay after joining the Dragons and Sharks.

Milford goes from being a talented kid in a bottom 4 side to being a second away from being the Clive Churchill medalist in a grand final winning Broncos side the very next year.

I genuinely think there is (or has been) an anti-Raiders bias when it comes to rep selection. Some of it to do with the “out of Sydney” location, some of it to do with the club underachieving.

The quickest path to rep footy was to play for the Roosters and Dragons. I also doubt the likes of Paul Vaughan and Michael Weyman would have played rep footy if they stayed in Canberra.

I think the likes of Finch, Carney, Dugan, Milford staying in Canberra longer than they did would not have allowed them to “mature”, if anything most were toxic influences on the path of self destruction.

As sad as it is for Raiders fans, they don’t go onto to win Dally Ms and play in grand finals and play multiple rep games for the blues and Australia by staying in Canberra.
Jack says hello...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy I’m wondering if this Canberra bias was suspended through the period that Ricky was winning Daly M’s and other awards for fun and the majority of the Maroons and Blues teams were made up of raiders. Or was it possibly just that we were really great then and haven’t really been that good for a sustained period of time since?
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

I don't think BJ was saying they would or would not have had better representative football careers. I think his point was that they all left for the bright lights and money and demonstrated over time that they had a poor work ethic and attitude. More development time in Canberra may have changed that, then again, it may not have in the cases of some who have demonstrated that they have no common sense.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

“More development time in Canberra” - When did we become a feeder club?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Thanks Green Blogger for actually comprehending the side I was coming from.

But in fairness to the other comments, I actually agree with many of the points the others made.

But I still reckon a few of the players mentioned harmed their long term development as footballers by not staying longer in Canberra and ‘maybe’ maturing as people and NRL players.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

BJ wrote: September 20, 2021, 3:47 pm Thanks Green Blogger for actually comprehending the side I was coming from.

But in fairness to the other comments, I actually agree with many of the points the others made.

But I still reckon a few of the players mentioned harmed their long term development as footballers by not staying longer in Canberra and ‘maybe’ maturing as people and NRL players.
Agree BJ, I think some players get blinded by the big bucks and huge promises that dont actually happen.
They also underestimate the pressure of being on big money and big reputation/concept that you are going to save the day every time

You can add Shannon Boyd and Brenko to that list and let's be honest the jury is still well and truly out with cotric

In terms of Mildord Canberra provided shelter from outside influences who love you for the money you can spend and the doors you can open but will dump you the moment you can't do it anymore.
Vaccinated
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

hrundi89 wrote: September 20, 2021, 12:32 pm

Jack says hello...
Yeah he's one current example and a favourite of Freddy and Joey. I'm more talking the past 20 odd years.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: September 20, 2021, 1:10 pm Finchy I’m wondering if this Canberra bias was suspended through the period that Ricky was winning Daly M’s and other awards for fun and the majority of the Maroons and Blues teams were made up of raiders. Or was it possibly just that we were really great then and haven’t really been that good for a sustained period of time since?
Yeah this is definitely a massive factor. If we'd been playing as good as the Storm for the past 20 years and winning premierships and a top-eight staple, then they could hardly ignore us and we'd have plenty of rep players. But being bog-ordinary for the past 20+ years PLUS being outside of Sydney hasn't helped our cause. Our few bright lights get ignored playing for a crappy club. They move to the Roosters and all of a sudden they're rep players. However if the glamour clubs have ordinary seasons they're players still get selected for rep duty.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finch is the only one on that list I consider capable of maturing anywhere. Don’t think it matters where on earth the other 3 find themselves.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: September 20, 2021, 7:01 pm Finch is the only one on that list I consider capable of maturing anywhere. Don’t think it matters where on earth the other 3 find themselves.
I think he means Brett not Robert? :roflmao
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:Finch is the only one on that list I consider capable of maturing anywhere. Don’t think it matters where on earth the other 3 find themselves.
How can you not understand that Dugan would have matured from a 2 year old to a 4 year old. Image
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I'm shocked to see the Milford case has ended up being a DV case.

First reporting sounded more like dills in a nightclub pushing his buttons.
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »