Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 31890
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Junee

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by dubby »

I don't think it's a mental health problem at all.

My understanding is he made inappropriate comments as part of a group chat.

He's not charged with sharing or sending, just commenting.....as is my understanding.
User avatar
Finchy
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1779
Joined: March 30, 2008, 9:59 pm
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: December 15, 2021, 11:57 am He never said help rather than jail
He said help not just jail… rather significant difference between those two

I feel like you’ve either misread or misunderstood his post and gotten angry at him about a bunch of stuff that he simply never said or implied

But anyways I’ll leave it to cranky to clarify his comments if he feels he needs to.
I'm not angry at him or even "attacking" him personally from my point of view, I just disagree with either his opinion or phrasing of it. Finch may have "mental health issues", but it's not as if he's some disadvantaged abused housing commission kid raised in a violent and drug riddled upbringing who was set up to fail from the start. He's had a privileged upbringing and earned millions of dollars playing at the highest levels of sport in the country. And then he got sad in retirement and chose substance abuse to fill the void of sporting highs he no longer had. He lives in a nice house in Sans Souci with a beautiful wife and daughter, and has had years of rehab and counselling to help with his drug issues.

Then, once *allegedly* caught discussing/sharing the sexual abuse of children, rather than condemn him, the first assertion is "that is a mental health issue". Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, that would be for a professionally trained specialist and the Magistrate/jury to determine. My personal opinion is that the mental health card gets played and accepted way to easily these days to excuse away the worst behavior. Yes you may be depressed or have anxiety, but millions of people do, and they manage to not seek sexual gratification through the abuse of children to "cope" with it. What a cop out.

In my opinion you have to be so mentally impaired or brain damaged to be able to tell right from wrong to pull the mental health card, and even then if you're that deranged you should be locked up in a facility for life for the safety of society. Finch is not a deranged idiot, he's an adult leading a fairly privileged life, and knows right from wrong.

To then say "the guy is to be pitied", why? I don't pity murderers, rapists, paedophiles, or people that get off on child sexual abuse. I pity their victims, I'm not wasting time pitying them no matter how bad their life may have been. Victims of abuse themselves or not, they're adults and know right from wrong. If they dish out the same atrocities on others that were committed on them (and they hated so much and ruined their lives), well more shame on them for repeating it when they know better and have lived it.

Then saying "I hope he gets the help he needs and is not just left to rot in jail as most are" hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement that he gets jailed as well as getting help, it implies that rotting in jail is an unfair option. I would argue it's the best and safest option for society. They've given up their right to live it in as a normal human being.

The throw-away line at the end of "the welfare of the victims is also a priority". That should be the first and only priority. Finch's mental well being is not on-par with the victim's in this. Screw him. He can sort his pathetic life and issues out in jail where he belongs, provided he's guilty of the allegations.

You say that neither you or COM are defending or excusing the allegations, but how else can it be implied? Playing the mental health and pity card sounds like the only way of defending and excusing it, and his lawyers will likely be using that same defence in court. There is no other way of defending or excusing it, so I don't believe I have erred in interpreting COM's comments as anything other than an implied defence or excuse, regardless of it's intended meaning.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan
User avatar
gergreg
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10672
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by gergreg »

-PJ- wrote:Walks straight into the Silverwater starting 13.
I think his team will be the Cooma Rock spiders.

Joking aside - this is really disappointing. The game doesn't need this sort of publicity. And echoing Julian (I think) comments, I hope his family is taking care of themselves.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12093
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by cat »

I think its a lonnnngggggg stretch to link these allegations to Finch's issues with alcohol, drugs and gambling

I'm no doctor but I would also think 40 is an old age to suddenly get interested in kiddy ****.

Hopefully no ramifications for any of the clubs he played for
Vaccinated
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5356
Joined: June 9, 2013, 11:25 am
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Raiders666 »

cat wrote: December 15, 2021, 5:03 pm I think its a lonnnngggggg stretch to link these allegations to Finch's issues with alcohol, drugs and gambling

I'm no doctor but I would also think 40 is an old age to suddenly get interested in kiddy ****.

Hopefully no ramifications for any of the clubs he played for
Why would this have ramifications for the clubs he has played for?
cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12093
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by cat »

dubby wrote: December 15, 2021, 12:35 pm I don't think it's a mental health problem at all.

My understanding is he made inappropriate comments as part of a group chat.

He's not charged with sharing or sending, just commenting.....as is my understanding.
Why was he in the group chat?
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12093
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by cat »

Raiders666 wrote: December 15, 2021, 5:08 pm
cat wrote: December 15, 2021, 5:03 pm I think its a lonnnngggggg stretch to link these allegations to Finch's issues with alcohol, drugs and gambling

I'm no doctor but I would also think 40 is an old age to suddenly get interested in kiddy porn.

Hopefully no ramifications for any of the clubs he played for
Why would this have ramifications for the clubs he has played for?
I'm thinking along the lines of "metoo" movement but younger....
Vaccinated
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14085
Joined: February 25, 2008, 3:02 pm
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Begbie »

No coming back from this for Brett Finch.
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Posts: 155
Joined: December 9, 2016, 11:03 am
Favourite Player: Chicka

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by BJ123 »

Begbie wrote:No coming back from this for Brett Finch.
Matty Johns will still think he’s hilarious and a great larrikin of the game.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5356
Joined: June 9, 2013, 11:25 am
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Raiders666 »

BJ123 wrote: December 15, 2021, 7:09 pm
Begbie wrote:No coming back from this for Brett Finch.
Matty Johns will still think he’s hilarious and a great larrikin of the game.
Yeah I doubt it
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

A good few days later and I’m still struggling to get my head around the Finch story. He isn’t a personality I’ve ever liked and there aren’t too many stupid things that I wouldn’t put past him but I wouldn’t have thought he’d be associated with something like this. There aren’t too many mitigating circumstances with an accusation like this, but I keep expecting we will hear something to suggest it was more foolishness that intent - Something like perhaps he forwarded a few emails unaware that that among 10,000 questionable images there were 5 that were illegal. This just doesn’t seem to be the case and in fact the more details we hear the worse it appears to sound. I still struggle to find any sympathy for him at all. I know he probably isn’t of perfect sane mind but tell me how many people that commit serious crimes really are.

Brett will be dealt with by the legal system, I really hope the NRL community and associated media has a think about the personalities it entrusts to promote and encourage our sport going forward.
cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12093
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by cat »

Billy I think the last part of your post is the most important part and the part I will be watching closely.

I think the men of league foundation and other ways the game supports its ex players when they fall on hard times ( illness etc) is great.

BUT there are lines that once crossed you should never be allowed back over. Charges like those Finch and Hayne are facing should be over that line.

There should be no jobs for the boys, no invites to reunions, no free tickets to games etc

This is a guy who was about to start coaching young players .......
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: December 18, 2021, 8:00 am Billy I think the last part of your post is the most important part and the part I will be watching closely.

I think the men of league foundation and other ways the game supports its ex players when they fall on hard times ( illness etc) is great.

BUT there are lines that once crossed you should never be allowed back over. Charges like those Finch and Hayne are facing should be over that line.

There should be no jobs for the boys, no invites to reunions, no free tickets to games etc

This is a guy who was about to start coaching young players .......
Don’t disagree with any of that Cat, but the point I was making was more about who the NRL and associated media chooses to glorify and establish as role models post career. Apart from having a poor track record with illegal substance abuse I don’t find guys like Finch, Joey or Wendell to be particularly talented, insightful or funny in the commentary box. I’m sure with the same investment someone like Sia, El Masri, or any number of other players that have retired without a stained record would do a great job.

Alexander and Braith are a pain to endure and should be fired to the sun for other reasons but at least they aren’t terrible role models. I think Mick Ennis is probably a good example of what they should be aiming for. He won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but he is insightful and doesn’t base his entire repartee around in jokes and stories of rogue adventures that the game should be working hard to stamp out.

After this offseason, nobody should be putting a microphone anywhere near either Munster or Brandon Smith, but you watch how controversy sells and both will be a huge interest story in 2022 and beyond as they transition into a post playing role in the game despite neither having a solid grasp of the English language.
User avatar
Rick
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6730
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Rick »

Spot on. One of the better posts on this forum.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12093
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: December 18, 2021, 9:28 am
cat wrote: December 18, 2021, 8:00 am Billy I think the last part of your post is the most important part and the part I will be watching closely.

I think the men of league foundation and other ways the game supports its ex players when they fall on hard times ( illness etc) is great.

BUT there are lines that once crossed you should never be allowed back over. Charges like those Finch and Hayne are facing should be over that line.

There should be no jobs for the boys, no invites to reunions, no free tickets to games etc

This is a guy who was about to start coaching young players .......
Don’t disagree with any of that Cat, but the point I was making was more about who the NRL and associated media chooses to glorify and establish as role models post career. Apart from having a poor track record with illegal substance abuse I don’t find guys like Finch, Joey or Wendell to be particularly talented, insightful or funny in the commentary box. I’m sure with the same investment someone like Sia, El Masri, or any number of other players that have retired without a stained record would do a great job.

Alexander and Braith are a pain to endure and should be fired to the sun for other reasons but at least they aren’t terrible role models. I think Mick Ennis is probably a good example of what they should be aiming for. He won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but he is insightful and doesn’t base his entire repartee around in jokes and stories of rogue adventures that the game should be working hard to stamp out.

After this offseason, nobody should be putting a microphone anywhere near either Munster or Brandon Smith, but you watch how controversy sells and both will be a huge interest story in 2022 and beyond as they transition into a post playing role in the game despite neither having a solid grasp of the English language.
Well said Billy

From a marketing/,brand/image focus I'm not sure what the NRL are thinking most of the time

On one hand they want it inclusive, women and children friendly, good representation/leaders for the community etc


But then in the next breath they lean towards and focus on the bad boys

They support white ribbon but allow players like dylan walker to not only play but be leaders

They support the vaccine push but wont mandate vaccination

The list goes on
Vaccinated
User avatar
Question
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15097
Joined: May 20, 2007, 5:13 pm

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Question »

Yeah good post Bill the kid...These **** dopes and i mean absolute gronks( penrith) are our youths role models, I mean ****, they **** they bleed and they are not above any of our lovely diseases like.cancer etc, these **** morons should appreciate the coin we feed these **** and stfu.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Question
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15097
Joined: May 20, 2007, 5:13 pm

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Question »

**** dopes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

Have I been totally sucked in by George Rose promotions for thinking the BJ v Heinighton fight tonight could be a good watch? Have any of you been sucked in to forking out the pay for view like I have?
cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12093
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 10:23 am Have I been totally sucked in by George Rose promotions for thinking the BJ v Heinighton fight tonight could be a good watch? Have any of you been sucked in to forking out the pay for view like I have?
If you mean have i enjoyed the joey show and had a good laugh , yep I've been sucked in

My favourite? When he told heinington he finshed with nothing and chris said "just 2 grand final wins "

Do i think it will be a good fight? No idea i can't stand boxing

But considering how he was with a fire cracker and how well he took criticism from his coaches, I dont think it will be chris crying for his mummy.....
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: December 22, 2021, 11:39 am
Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 10:23 am Have I been totally sucked in by George Rose promotions for thinking the BJ v Heinighton fight tonight could be a good watch? Have any of you been sucked in to forking out the pay for view like I have?
If you mean have i enjoyed the joey show and had a good laugh , yep I've been sucked in

My favourite? When he told heinington he finshed with nothing and chris said "just 2 grand final wins "

Do i think it will be a good fight? No idea i can't stand boxing

But considering how he was with a fire cracker and how well he took criticism from his coaches, I dont think it will be chris crying for his mummy.....
Look if two meat heads are silly enough to stand in a ring and pummel each other I’m silly enough to pay to watch it. I actually find these fight nights entertaining. Often 2 experienced boxers will fight a very technical fight with great deference which is very skilful but not always great viewing. There non-boxer fights can often be a wild ride! I’m looking forward to it.
cat
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12093
Joined: April 1, 2008, 5:19 pm
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse
Location: Sydney

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 12:05 pm
cat wrote: December 22, 2021, 11:39 am
Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 10:23 am Have I been totally sucked in by George Rose promotions for thinking the BJ v Heinighton fight tonight could be a good watch? Have any of you been sucked in to forking out the pay for view like I have?
If you mean have i enjoyed the joey show and had a good laugh , yep I've been sucked in

My favourite? When he told heinington he finshed with nothing and chris said "just 2 grand final wins "

Do i think it will be a good fight? No idea i can't stand boxing

But considering how he was with a fire cracker and how well he took criticism from his coaches, I dont think it will be chris crying for his mummy.....
Look if two meat heads are silly enough to stand in a ring and pummel each other I’m silly enough to pay to watch it. I actually find these fight nights entertaining. Often 2 experienced boxers will fight a very technical fight with great deference which is very skilful but not always great viewing. There non-boxer fights can often be a wild ride! I’m looking forward to it.
I'm looking forward to the press conference after too :roflmao
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

I watched BJs press conference - seriously the lad was never passing a HIA test whether he had a head knock or not!
User avatar
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22366
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by -PJ- »

Someones going to be crying for the mummy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: December 22, 2021, 12:15 pm
Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 12:05 pm
cat wrote: December 22, 2021, 11:39 am
Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 10:23 am Have I been totally sucked in by George Rose promotions for thinking the BJ v Heinighton fight tonight could be a good watch? Have any of you been sucked in to forking out the pay for view like I have?
If you mean have i enjoyed the joey show and had a good laugh , yep I've been sucked in

My favourite? When he told heinington he finshed with nothing and chris said "just 2 grand final wins "

Do i think it will be a good fight? No idea i can't stand boxing

But considering how he was with a fire cracker and how well he took criticism from his coaches, I dont think it will be chris crying for his mummy.....
Look if two meat heads are silly enough to stand in a ring and pummel each other I’m silly enough to pay to watch it. I actually find these fight nights entertaining. Often 2 experienced boxers will fight a very technical fight with great deference which is very skilful but not always great viewing. There non-boxer fights can often be a wild ride! I’m looking forward to it.
I'm looking forward to the press conference after too :roflmao
Refund please….. dreadful
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 34737
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Botman »

BJ FORRRRRRRRRRRREVER!
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: December 22, 2021, 9:08 pm BJ FORRRRRRRRRRRREVER!
Did you watch it Bot? How bad was his post fight interview. I’m not sure there was a clear winner but I feel like an out and out loser paying $60 for that.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 34737
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: December 22, 2021, 9:23 pm
Botman wrote: December 22, 2021, 9:08 pm BJ FORRRRRRRRRRRREVER!
Did you watch it Bot? How bad was his post fight interview. I’m not sure there was a clear winner but I feel like an out and out loser paying $60 for that.
Nope. Dont like boxing
Personally find combat sports to be beyond the pale for me in terms of violence and blantant money driven corruption. Wont engage in it.
Saw news that BJ won on my twitter TL, which tickles me greatly because Heino is a much loved and respected footballer who did it all the right way and apparantly could beat some brain dead idiot who loves KFC like i do because BJ is a lord.

I love that one of the least respected NRL players apparently **** up one of the most repsected played because he's just tougher and harder. And a lot of fans of the code are probably sad about this.
But i never pay a cent of my money to watch combat sports.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

It was more rugby than boxing - lots of cuddling, holding and not much boxing. The highlight was BJ walking out in a sombrero with Mexico written on it to the tune of achey breaks heart which he sang along to… more than a little random.

I wouldn’t describe BJ as a gracious winner - his tirade to the camera post fight was out and out embarrassing to be honest.

The young May kid from the Panthers was the highlight, gave Freddy Lusick a pretty good touch up although Freddy is a tough young lad.
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

Just as a side note, the commentator tonight mentioned that Joey was in hospital for 8 days because of his recent covid and apparently was in quite a bad way for four of them.
User avatar
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Posts: 4453
Joined: March 9, 2008, 8:22 pm
Favourite Player: Hodgson
Location: Sylvania

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Postman Pat »

I didn’t watch it but I doubt what happened tonight resembled boxing at all, reads like even the H Garside decision was a shocker.

We have too many Aust world class fighters at the moment to watch footy players play fight.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
User avatar
Question
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15097
Joined: May 20, 2007, 5:13 pm

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Question »

Jeez that was pretty sad, I would like stick to throw an arm around him in a soft headlock bring him in close sniff the top of his head and whisper in his ear, come back for a year shagger.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User avatar
gergreg
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10672
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by gergreg »

Postman Pat wrote:I didn’t watch it but I doubt what happened tonight resembled boxing at all, reads like even the H Garside decision was a shocker.

We have too many Aust world class fighters at the moment to watch footy players play fight.
Totally agree with this. An Aussie won several world titles a few weeks ago in the US and I'd never heard of him. Sure I'm only a casual fan these days but there's something wrong when Paul Gallen is a name more people know than George Kambosos. YouTube his fight if you haven't seen it (anybody interested).
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6900
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

George Rose and his No Limits Boxing has put on a few entertaining bouts in the past but last night was an absolute stinker.

I’m not a fan of woman’s boxing, but the two ladies that opened the card put on the most entertaining fight of the night as they actually threw punches rather than grapple and hug.

In one bout some man mountain MMA world’s strongest man took on another almost equally large human. They did everything but box and the fight stopped in a disqualification after the strongman trip threw his opponent to the canvas. He then put on a disgraceful show arguing with the ref.

Justin Hoges beat the Ross Dog in a less that memorable fight. I recently watched a magpie and a currawong tussle over piece of cheese in my backyard with more passion and better footwork.

I’m not sure if Freddy Lusick showed tremendous courage, outright stupidity or just hadn’t been told what boxing it, but he head butted T Mays’ fist for 4 rounds in a bout Jeff Fenech wanted stopped after 30 seconds. I was actually happy to see it to go another 4 rounds it wasn’t quite as enthralling as the magpie and the currawong but there was an element of science involved in terms of determining how many heavy blows to the head can a human take before he falls over.

BJ showed a little style quickly followed up by wild rubbish - it was a lot like watching his NRL career condensed into a handful of 2 min rounds. He left the ring with a tirade of swear words aimed at all those who doubted him - his wife joined in flipping the bird and throwing some choice words of her own. It was quite a display and Heington was left to quite graciously tell everyone that BJ is actually a really good guy with goodness in his heart.

The Gartside fight was a terribly premature stoppage given it was two boxers with an ability to defend themselves and a seasoned jaw that came not not after Freddy Lusick’s head was allowed to be a speedball for 4 rounds. What annoyed me more was that Gartside had recent hand surgery so was literally fighting his Filipino opponent one handed. I’m still thinking I’ll email George Rose and ask if he might consider giving me $30 of my $60 back if he’s only putting up one armed boxers.

Gallen is Gallen but hard not to admire the work he has done. The man can box and although the much larger Darcy Lusick was allowed to put all his weight on him, hold his head with one hand and punch with the other, Gal found a way through and won well.

I agree with Gals comments post fight - you can whinge all you like about footy players boxing but the night before at the same venue there were 100 people watching boxers fight. It’s the personality that sell fights and Gal has done a lot for Aussie boxing.

These fights seemed put together on far too short of notice. Fitness was a big issue, rules and knowing how to box another.

Definitely not $60 worth and I’ll be a little more choice where I spend my pay for view dollars going forward.

That’s Billy’s Boxing wrap for this week!
User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9945
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: December 23, 2021, 7:56 am Justin Hoges beat the Ross Dog in a less that memorable fight. I recently watched a magpie and a currawong tussle over piece of cheese in my backyard with more passion and better footwork.
:roflmao

I'm a boxing fan, I only follow the heavyweights though. It is one of those sports that is getting harder to follow the more we learn about the long term impacts. They used to show these fight nights for free in NZ, they've started charging $40 for the last couple. No chance I'm parting ways with that much money for this joke of an event, just hilarious they expect you to pay the same for this as for Wilder vs Fury.
User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15969
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by bonehead »

I still love Joey, he's a human highlight. He's been a grub but he was our grub, he's a winner

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Post Reply