Tedesco backflips on Raiders deal, stays with Tigers

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Tedesco backflips on Raiders deal, stays with Tigers

Post by greeneyed »

Come on, it's not the young kid's fault. Give him a break.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Nah ge he's getting it from me every chance I get, what a shame I got a free ticket for the knoughts and tigpies Sunday. Just booked our annual boys trip to Dickson too
Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Tedesco signs with Raiders * not a joke*

Post by -PJ- »

green94 wrote:he has 2 weeks to backflip... :lol:
I wrote this on the 27th of May, not funny now though... :nooo
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah calls for NRL to end get-out rule despite James Tedesco re-signing

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah questioned the NRL having a rule that allowed players to back out of contracts before round 13 of each season even though it enabled his club to retain Canberra-bound James Tedesco.

"I don't agree with the rule and if you ask me, I think it's a terrible rule," said Farah on Thursday. "Other players are taking advantage of it so why can't James? It's happened in the past but, as I said, I don't agree with it. I don't think it should be there but it is, no rules are broken. Canberra were put in that situation last year with [Josh] Papali'i [who backed out of a deal with Parramatta] and they were trying to get [Brisbane-bound] Anthony Milford out this year. So it's not the first time."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z33l0F2w4w
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

James Tedesco backflip good for NRL, says Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter

James Tedesco's contract backflip is a good thing for rugby league, says Tigers coach Mick Potter.

"It shows something about the club and the players that we do have, that he is going to sacrifice money to stay and play with his mates," Potter said.

"That is a big plus for the club and a big plus for rugby league, that players want to stay and play with people they have grown up with.

"It's not a slight on anyone but he just wants to play with his mates. For young Ted it is a learning curve. It is probably something he didn't think all the way through.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z33l1BqlW9
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Its no different to the Papa deal. He has his whole team in his ear, his mates, and the prospect of playing with us having watched the other 3 of our big 4 say NO. Not surpried he backflipped, but he still screwed us over.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

^^

Yea good one Potts. Tell that to the young lad when Tigs flick him after a few injuries and he's short $1m in his bank account
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

James Tedesco's manager claims backflip could be blessing for Canberra Raiders

Canberra won't want to hear it just yet, but the James Tedesco backflip could serve as a NRL blessing in disguise according to his manager Sam Ayoub.

The Wests Tigers fullback reneged on an estimated $600,000-a-year deal with the Raiders on Wednesday just days before the round-13 deadline to remain with his mates.

"I was sick in the guts, I was churning, my head was spinning, because I've got a lot of time for (coach) Ricky Stuart," Ayoub said. But when asked if it could serve as a blessing in disguise as the Raiders are freed up to target several promising younger players elsewhere, Ayoub replied "there's a lot of merit in that".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z33l1yU9Jj
gnocchi1
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by gnocchi1 »

**** off Mr Ayoub, you are a germ.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

greeneyed wrote:James Tedesco's manager claims backflip could be blessing for Canberra Raiders

Canberra won't want to hear it just yet, but the James Tedesco backflip could serve as a NRL blessing in disguise according to his manager Sam Ayoub.

The Wests Tigers fullback reneged on an estimated $600,000-a-year deal with the Raiders on Wednesday just days before the round-13 deadline to remain with his mates.

"I was sick in the guts, I was churning, my head was spinning, because I've got a lot of time for (coach) Ricky Stuart," Ayoub said. But when asked if it could serve as a blessing in disguise as the Raiders are freed up to target several promising younger players elsewhere, Ayoub replied "there's a lot of merit in that".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z33l1yU9Jj
:lol: what?
What in the **** has ayoub got lined up here? :lol:
Shano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: The dood with the boofy hair

Post by Shano »

Sorry, I'm not seeing a lot of merit in nrl these days
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Todd Greenberg says NRL's round 13 rule is still the best system available

The NRL's head of football Todd Greenberg has defended the competition's under-fire regulations that allowed James Tedesco to back out of a $1.9 million deal with Canberra only a week after the Raiders announced his acquisition for the next three years.

"The concept is simply that it gives the incumbent club every opportunity to retain their players. That was the catalyst for this at the start of it and that's why it remains there," Greenberg said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z33kwDrqqF
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Sorry Mr Greenberg you are wrong
Raiders Something
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Raiders Something »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Lucy wrote:
DJ89 wrote:I don't follow Super Rugby, as it is the worst spectacle in the world, but can someone tell me if the Brumbies struggle attracting players as much as the Raiders?
They do. But they don't have to live in Canberra.
The Super Rugby season goes from early Feb through to early August plus preseason. That's over half the year. Add to that the ARU declared a few years back that non Australian representatives were to remain in their Super city after the end of the Super Rugby season to partake in the local comp.

So Lucy, if the Brumbies players are training and playing in Canberra for about 3/4 of the year, but are not living in Canberra, where exactly are they living?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL defends controversial round 13 rule after James Tedesco backflips on Raiders deal

The NRL has defended the controversial round 13 rule that allowed James Tedesco to backflip on his deal with the Canberra Raiders.

"Some of the players signing contracts are young and impressionable and, for such a big decision in their lives, they should be given time to ensure they have made the right choice,'' an NRL spokesman said.

''The rule has the support of the Players Association because it gives players time to contemplate their decision.

''It is understandable that fans become upset when a player changes his mind and decides not to join a club, so we encourage clubs not to announce new signings until after the round 13 cut-off.

''That is when a contract is registered and that is when the clubs are in a position to announce that the signing is confirmed.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/nrl- ... z33ldhNjnd
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

greeneyed wrote: ''The rule has the support of the Players Association because it gives players time to contemplate their decision.
Clearly impossible to contemplate said decision before you make it and sign a contract..... I wonder if the RPLA would be just as behind it if it was a club tearing up a contract and not putting it forward to the NRL (no idea if this can actually happen). Stupid rule, yes we 'benefited' from it, which could well have been a ploy to get us to pay overs with the intent of never leaving anyway. Doesn't matter who benefits, fan's lose out, bin it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We didn't benefit from it in the case of Nathan Smith....

:opps Sorry... yes we did.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And Papalli..
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I don't have a problem with the rule but I am seriously concerned about where this leaves the club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL didn't even wheel out a real person to tell the Canberra public: **** you. Just an "NRL spokesperson".
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Why cause the media department went off too early?

It's not the NRL's fault the guy saw we were **** and changed his mind to stay with his mates
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Please »

greeneyed wrote:James Tedesco backflip good for NRL, says Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter

James Tedesco's contract backflip is a good thing for rugby league, says Tigers coach Mick Potter.

"It shows something about the club and the players that we do have, that he is going to sacrifice money to stay and play with his mates," Potter said.

"That is a big plus for the club and a big plus for rugby league, that players want to stay and play with people they have grown up with.

"It's not a slight on anyone but he just wants to play with his mates. For young Ted it is a learning curve. It is probably something he didn't think all the way through.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z33l1BqlW9
Yeah, it's **** great for the NRL
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Tim W wrote:Why cause the media department went off too early?

It's not the NRL's fault the guy saw we were **** and changed his mind to stay with his mates
It's all well and good to blame our media department, but what's to stop Ayoub leaking it to the press if he intends to abuse it?
He leaks it to a few sources, they build the media pressure and what is the club expected to do in response? Suddenly its a rock and a hard place and even if they don't announce it, we as fans start to get excited anyway. Then he backflip's behind closed doors, maybe we aren't quite as annoyed at it all since it was never confirmed, but the flawed system is still abused and our club used as a play thing....
manbearpig
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Wighton

Post by manbearpig »

Question wrote:This club is great, and **** the hell off you slippery eel **** **** troll, you **** play out of sydney and are a **** disgrace, just **** off back in your hole you **** troll.
:lol: :lol:
Im just, bicking back being bool
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

This is a rubbish system which is being systematically abused by Ayoub and other player managers. I also find it hard to believe that tedesco wasn't offered more by the tigers, in one way or another.

The NRL offers no incentives for investing in junior development yet allows third party payments that allow the glamour clubs to operate well outside the salary cap.

Well it's clear where the priorities lie and they almost assure the raiders will struggle to be better than mediocre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hearing it is incorrect that Tedesco didn't get more for the backflip.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

greeneyed wrote:The NRL didn't even wheel out a real person to tell the Canberra public: **** you. Just an "NRL spokesperson".
Watch your language thanks GE.

Just kidding! I love hearing you swear!
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

oh well, I would have been devo if we had someone who's injured more than campo, although this new roosters winger is applying for that position now
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think the rule is stupid.

What other major sporting code allows a player to sign a contract and is given a later date to say.......nah, think I'll not do that now?

It is basically a chance for clubs to match or better the offer from the rival club. I know it may appear two faced for me to say this in light of Nathan Smith and Josh Papalii, but frankly both parties need to take accountability for their actions.

If we signed Smith, he has basically agreed to join us. He should have come. Crap signing or not, he should have played for Canberra.

Same with Papalii. He decided to join Parramatta. He should have gone. I'm glad he didn't, but he put pen to paper and agreed to go there. He should have gone.

Same with Tedesco.

I cannot sign a car loan or mortgage and later renege because of a change of heart. I'm legally accountable (to a point) and there are consequences if I don't go ahead. (poor example, but you get my point)

Should be the same principal for NRL players contracts.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You have a cooling off period with those loans, Dubby.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

Every contract you sign you have a cooling off period. I'm not sure what institutions you use dubs, but I'd ask the question in future, as right now you are being screwed mate..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

It is a terrible system though isn't it? Especially when there are little weasels like Ayoub involved.

Is there any other sport in the world that allows this **** rubbish to occur so often?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Just make it a one month trade period at the end of the year. If players need time to cool off they can sign deals early.

At least it's all done and dusted quickly then.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

But that wouldn't play into the hands of the NRL's plan to provide for the clubs of interest and taken from the less desirable. The larger the period, the more opportunity to ensure the clubs that are the "heart" of the NRL can purchase the players they require to build the profile of the game.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"