All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Realm
David Shillington
Favourite Player: tongue is god

Re: Tedesco backflips on Raiders deal, stays with Tigers

Post by Realm »

dubby wrote:I think the rule is stupid.

What other major sporting code allows a player to sign a contract and is given a later date to say.......nah, think I'll not do that now?

It is basically a chance for clubs to match or better the offer from the rival club. I know it may appear two faced for me to say this in light of Nathan Smith and Josh Papalii, but frankly both parties need to take accountability for their actions.

If we signed Smith, he has basically agreed to join us. He should have come. Crap signing or not, he should have played for Canberra.

Same with Papalii. He decided to join Parramatta. He should have gone. I'm glad he didn't, but he put pen to paper and agreed to go there. He should have gone.

Same with Tedesco.

I cannot sign a car loan or mortgage and later renege because of a change of heart. I'm legally accountable (to a point) and there are consequences if I don't go ahead. (poor example, but you get my point)

Should be the same principal for NRL players contracts.
Yes you do, you have a cooling off period where you can walk away, no strings attached. Same with a phone contract or anything of that liking.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:You have a cooling off period with those loans, Dubby.
Yes, is it as...... Rewarding..... I guess
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahaha dubby

Never change
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Tedesco Taint

There were some at Wests Tigers who were rightly concerned over James Tedesco's durability when the club was in contract negotiations a few months ago. While they did not doubt the kid's ability, the fact he had already suffered two serious injuries raised serious concerns and was a contributing factor in the club not attempting to match Canberra's over-the-top offer. Sadly, Tedesco has been hit with another long-term leg injury and some at the Raiders may be feeling they dodged a bullet. He is a brilliant prospect and you only hope he can one day get an uninterrupted run.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-pr ... mlzpa2fj4p
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Im frickin happy he backflipped now,
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
country_ringer
Glenn Lazarus

Post by country_ringer »

It has to of been karma
PROUD BAY 55
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Made of glass maybe a blessing in disguise he backflipped
In Ricky We Trust
godofcheese
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by godofcheese »

I thought of the irony when it was Campo he tackled and both stayed down with injured legs.

Campo ultimately got up..... and ran more in the first 40 minutes then he had in his last 40 games.
Interstate Member #3382
How is 2017 Looking?: 1. J Wighton, 2. J. Rapana, 3. J Croker (C), 4. J. Leilua, 5. N. Cotric, 6. B Austin, 7. A. Sezar, 8. S. Boyd, 9. J Hodgson, 10. J. Paulo, 11. J. Papalli, 12. E. Whitehead, 13. S. Soliola, 14. K. Baptiste, 15. J. Tapine, 16. D. Taylor, 17. L. Bateman = Looking Good
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

a part of me was wishing Campo would stay down...forever.

I'm sorry, I feel terrible.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

country_ringer wrote:It has to of been karma
No just Campos knee
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

country_ringer wrote:It has to of been karma

is that Crookwell witch still working for us :P
Vaccinated
country_ringer
Glenn Lazarus

Post by country_ringer »

Haha i think we need as many witches as possible
PROUD BAY 55
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

He tried to take out campese like an idiot, it was a suicide run. It was like he had an agenda. Karma is a bitch.
I hope campo copping that hit and not bein injured will help him realise his knee is not that soft anymore I.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

CJ42 wrote:He tried to take out campese like an idiot, it was a suicide run. It was like he had an agenda. Karma is a bitch.
I hope campo copping that hit and not bein injured will help him realise his knee is not that soft anymore I.
Did you see Campo try to change direction on the run? Took him about 5 steps. Defense had time to read the paper before adjusting.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
YZ250
Gary Coyne

Post by YZ250 »

"Did you see Campo try to change direction on the run? Took him about 5 steps. Defense had time to read the paper before adjusting."

I saw this - it was funny and tragically sad at the same time.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He will become zillman with all his injuries
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Tim W wrote:He will become zillman with all his injuries
He's played 20 odd games.

There's a massive chance he will be the next Todd Polglase.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

julian87 wrote:

Polglase didnt have too much skill to begin with though. I'd liken him to David Seage.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think the only thing in his favour this time is it was an impact injury and not a straight recurrence of his ACL. It's hard to remember a player having that many injuries and going on to reach his potential though.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

DJ89 wrote:
julian87 wrote:

Polglase didnt have too much skill to begin with though. I'd liken him to David Seage.
Indeed.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

edwahu wrote:I think the only thing in his favour this time is it was an impact injury and not a straight recurrence of his ACL. It's hard to remember a player having that many injuries and going on to reach his potential though.
Bone breaks have a lot bigger margin of error than an ACL though, especially a kneecap
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Especially a broken kneecap requiring surgery on an already reconstructed knee
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I feel for the guy big time. He's a huge talent but it certainly looks like a TLL like career is on the cards
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Pigman wrote:I feel for the guy big time. He's a huge talent but it certainly looks like a TLL like career is on the cards
If he's lucky. Tempting as it is to gloat, I think not. He seems like a decent guy, as far as one can tell, and he stayed at the Tigers for the right reasons.

Of course, sucko to them.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

DJ89 wrote:
julian87 wrote:

Seage was a real lost talent.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Northern Raider wrote:
DJ89 wrote:
julian87 wrote:

Seage was a real lost talent.
Not as bad as that other Newcastle bloke who destroyed us at fullback in the world's highest-scoring game - I forget his name, what happened to HIM?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Milton Thaiday... retired at the end of 2007 according to Wiki
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think it is a great shame for Tedesco, his club and the game that such a talented player cops such an injury particularly after his other unrelated injuries over the past few years. He seems like a well grounded young bloke and I wish him well with his recovery.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Agreed RR. There is no joy in the.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

No joy? We just saved 2.1mil in cap space over 3 years, sure we need a player but we still have next year to find one. Im very happy
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I wish him no ill, good luck to the kid
Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I wish him no ill either, but I honestly think we dodged a bullet.

I've been thinking about our "miss list" from a few weeks ago, and that may turn out to be a good thing (except Mansour who I really rate).

Proctor is not worth $700k per season. If we land Symonds for $350k we still get a bloody handy backrower.

Ennis is over 30 and his best days are behind him. He relies on niggle and "gamesmanship" to earn the upper hand. I say lets look to Cronin for the #14 jersey in 2015. This kid can play anywhere for less than Ennis $500k per season and with ten years ahead of him.

Tedesco. Brilliant talent, but as Michael would say he's made of balsa wood. At $2.1 million we've saved ourselves more with his medical cost.

We haven't stepped out of the shadows in to a huge pile of dog **** put it that way.

However, we DO need to recruit some honest, hardworking and reliable players. Tom Symonds would be the sort of "moneyball" player I'd pursue.

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Tedesco , super talent but what we are seeing is that he is brittle and may not have a long career , huge risk especially the dollars we offered.

I think we are lucky there

All the best to him with his recovery , he does seem a decent young man.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote:I wish him no ill either, but I honestly think we dodged a bullet.

I've been thinking about our "miss list" from a few weeks ago, and that may turn out to be a good thing (except Mansour who I really rate).

Proctor is not worth $700k per season. If we land Symonds for $350k we still get a bloody handy backrower.

Ennis is over 30 and his best days are behind him. He relies on niggle and "gamesmanship" to earn the upper hand. I say lets look to Cronin for the #14 jersey in 2015. This kid can play anywhere for less than Ennis $500k per season and with ten years ahead of him.

Tedesco. Brilliant talent, but as Michael would say he's made of balsa wood. At $2.1 million we've saved ourselves more with his medical cost.

We haven't stepped out of the shadows in to a huge pile of dog **** put it that way.

However, we DO need to recruit some honest, hardworking and reliable players. Tom Symonds would be the sort of "moneyball" player I'd pursue.
Agree in general. Also think we've dodged a bullet with Milford. Despite his obvious gifts I don't think he's worth the money we were looking at paying to keep him.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote:I wish him no ill either, but I honestly think we dodged a bullet.

Agree in general. Also think we've dodged a bullet with Milford. Despite his obvious gifts I don't think he's worth the money we were looking at paying to keep him.
I wouldn't say we've dodged a bullet with Milf just yet, if he can transfer his skills into a FG 5/8 he'll be worth every penny. I know there's an if in there but players like him done come along very often. Time will tell.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.