2016 Rd 2 V Roosters: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Sydney Roosters?

Raiders 13+
8%
Raiders 1-12
67%
Draw
8%
Roosters 1-12
No votes
Roosters 13+
17%

Total votes: 12

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters
Canberra Stadium
Saturday 12 March, 3:00pm
Gates open 10:30am, Holden Cup 10:45am, Intrust Super Premiership 12:40pm
Tickets: Click here
Transport: Click here and here
TV coverage: Fox Sports live
Radio: ABC, 2CC

The Raiders produced a great first up 30-22 home win over the Panthers in 35C in Round 1. But it was a costly one, with both first choice halves injured, and ruled out for four to six weeks. Both Aidan Sezer (eye socket) and Blake Austin (medial ligament) showed some great form, with Sezer seeing out the game and scoring two tries. Austin scored one. Huge losses.

But there were lots of other positives. Jack Wighton was very strong at the back. Joey Leilua was damaging. Even the player many fans weren't even expecting to play in firsts, Jeff Lima, was punishing. Josh Hodgson is on his way to being one the premier hookers in the game, up with the very best. And how good was it seeing Shaun Fensom charging to the line, stepping even, to score the try that would seal the match.

2016 Round 1: Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

In Round 2 the Raiders are again at home - in plus 30C degrees - this time against the Sydney Roosters. Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has a huge hole to fill in the halves, with Austin and Sezer gone for at least a month. As expected, Sam Williams comes into the team at half after missing Round 1 with a virus. And 19 year old Lachlan Croker his been given his debut at five eighth - rather than moving Jack Wighton from fullback into the halves. The selection has the support of the senior players - and the majority of fans, based on discussion on The Greenhouse. It is exciting to see Croker get a chance - and it's consistent with the old footy adage - don't weaken one position in trying to fill another. Stuart has made no other changes to the winning Round 1 side.

The Roosters have made just one change to their Round 1 team, with Daniel Tupou coming back on the wing, with Englishman Joe Burgess moving onto an extended bench.

Late changes: None expected at this stage.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

History: Canberra has won 25 and lost 33 matches against the Sydney Roosters. In the last 10 matches, the Raiders have won just three contests. In 2015, the Raiders lost the only match between the sides, 34-6 - a sorry performance at the Sydney Football Stadium. The Raiders have a fairly good record at Canberra Stadium against the Roosters, winning 11 of 17 clashes. In addition, the Roosters have not won in Canberra since 2010 - but the again, they've only visited twice since then.

2015 Round 4 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

And, here's some Raiders-Roosters history for you... the famous 1990 Canberra Raiders record 66-4 win over the Roosters! It was the first game between the clubs at the ground. Here's hoping for a repeat!

1990 Round 5 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

Form: The Raiders are on an official LLWWW form line in their last five appearances, while the Roosters have a WLWLL form line. The Raiders also won their only trial of 2016 against the Knights in Orange. The Roosters suffered a big 42-10 loss to the Rabbitohs in Round 1. South Sydney led 32-0 before the Roosters scored their first try in the 55th minute. The performance was in stark contrast to the pre season 38-12 win over St Helens in England.

Betting: The Roosters are $1.77 favourites in the match; the Raiders are paying $2.05. The Raiders have 1.5 points start.

Our tip: The Raiders have suffered a big blow, losing both first choice halves to injury in Round 1. But Sam Williams (69 first grade games) is a very strong back up - and it's exciting to see Lachlan Croker get his debut. The Roosters' halves pairing is very talented, but also very inexperienced - with Mitchell Pearce on suspension. Jackson Hastings has 21 NRL games and Jayden Nikorima made his NRL debut just last week. There's probably not a better time for Croker to make his own debut.

The hot weather is again a concern. The Round 1 heat will have taken its toll on Canberra. But they have a seven day turnaround, and Raiders showed they can handle it after training at 3pm during the hottest part of summer. It could be the Roosters who struggle more with the conditions. The Roosters also don't look like the side that has won the minor premiership for the past three seasons. Blake Ferguson returns to Canberra Stadium for the first time since walking out on the Raiders - but he seems out of sorts, settling into his new fullback role. The Roosters will have been stung by the loss to the Rabbitohs, and you can expect them to bounce back. Ferguson will be wanting to play at his best as well. But even with Canberra's disruption in the halves, I'm tipping the Raiders will just have enough to defeat the Roosters.

Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Jack Wighton on Blake Ferguson's return to Canberra Stadium: "It's going to be good to play Fergy. It's always a good battle against the Roosters, they're coming off a loss so it's only going to get tougher. Fergy's a good all-round player, he's a natural freak and always has been since he was young."

Jarrod Croker on Ferguson: "I'm sure [Raiders fans] will get stuck into him. It's all part and parcel of any bloke who leaves the club and goes back and plays at that ground, it's always bound to happen... There might be a few big high balls go up and the crowd can get into him then."

Elliott Whitehead on handling an expected repeat of hot weather in Round 2: "We've trained all pre-season at three o'clock in that heat, I'm glad I got through the full 80 minutes."

Ricky Stuart on the debut of Lachlan Croker: "I wouldn't put him in if I didn't have the confidence. I got my senior players in and we spoke about it yesterday and there was no hesitation whatsoever in playing him... It was unanimous, they all wanted him... it wasn't a tough decision."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton 2. Edrick Lee 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Joseph Leilua 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Lachlan Croker 7. Sam Williams 8. Shannon Boyd 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Frank Paul Nuuausala 11. Josh Papalii 12. Elliot Whitehead 13. Shaun Fensom

14. Kurt Baptiste 15. Iosia Soliola 16. Paul Vaughan 17. Jeff Lima

Sydney Roosters

1. Blake Ferguson 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Dale Copley 4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall 5. Latrell Mitchell 6. Jayden Nikorima 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Kane Evans 9. Jake Friend 10. Dylan Napa 11. Aidan Guerra 12. Mitchell Aubusson 13. Isaac Liu

14. Sio Siua Taukeiaho 15. Sam Moa 16. Ian Henderson 17. Vincent Leuluai 19. Joe Burgess

Officials:

Referees: Grant Atkins, Gavin Reynolds; Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor, Belinda Sleeman
Review Officials: Ben Galea, Jason Robinson; Senior Review Official: Bernard Sutton

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersRoosters

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2016 #FromAllAngles

Junior representatives teams and discussion:Click here
Holden Cup teams and discussion: Click here
NSW Premiership teams and discussion: Click here

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2016 Rd 2 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by zim »

Not sure if this the right place for this but there will be some food and beverage changes for this match:

http://weareraiders.com.au/statement-from-gio-stadium/

The key part is:
"Extend the 10% discount on Beverages for an hour from 2pm to 3pm (in the members lounge)".

Shame I'm not going down this weekend :(
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

I received a call from the club this afternoon inviting my boys to the new 'autograph alley' on Saturday. They will be very excited with the news (oh and me too!) :D
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Game day. Enjoy the game all.

I hope to catch it live on my tablet.

If not I hope not to hear the score and watch as if its live when I finish work .

Go Raiders
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I have a terrible feeling about this game
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

Brewing my first beer in probably 12 months today. Need a raiders related theme for its name... it will just be a pale ale/american pale ale depending on what hops I have lieing around... go boys dont let fergo kickstart his season on us
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day.... YES!!! We got this!! Go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hbomb wrote:Brewing my first beer in probably 12 months today. Need a raiders related theme for its name... it will just be a pale ale/american pale ale depending on what hops I have lieing around... go boys dont let fergo kickstart his season on us
Germane Ale?
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Got to excited for this game and posted in the pre-match thread.

If anyone wants their morning ruined:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvnoq3WKPu0
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

gangrenous wrote:
Hbomb wrote:Brewing my first beer in probably 12 months today. Need a raiders related theme for its name... it will just be a pale ale/american pale ale depending on what hops I have lieing around... go boys dont let fergo kickstart his season on us
Germane Ale?
???
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

I'm making the 2.5 hour trek down today I've decided. I hate the roosters with a passion and I figured the boys are up against a bit of adversity for the next month or so, so I'm going to do my bit and try and really get behind them.
COME ON YOU RAIDERS ! !

P.S - where is the best place for me to park ?
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Westsydneyraider wrote:I'm making the 2.5 hour trek down today I've decided. I hate the roosters with a passion and I figured the boys are up against a bit of adversity for the next month or so, so I'm going to do my bit and try and really get behind them.
COME ON YOU RAIDERS ! !

Right outside the actual car park on the Mal Meninga stand side
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Or in the car park, $7.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Good to see you back on the brewing horse!

I'd go with war horns or horns of war, I think horns up is already taken!

Either that or something green related, green goodness or something like that and make sure it is super hoppy!
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

greeneyed wrote:Or in the car park, $7.
But outside the car park, sure you have to walk further but you don't have to pay $7 and it's a lot quicker to get out at the end of the game.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Game day! I'm excited, not sure what to expect though.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hbomb wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Germane Ale?
???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Ale
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/germane?s=t

To save you clicking the links Jermaine Ale played 4 games on the wing for the Raiders in 2005. Germane means relevant/applicable.
Last edited by gangrenous on March 12, 2016, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

pickles wrote:
Good to see you back on the brewing horse!

I'd go with war horns or horns of war, I think horns up is already taken!

Either that or something green related, green goodness or something like that and make sure it is super hoppy!
Pickles comes through with the goods as usual. Cheers mate, I've been dieing to get back into it and an opportunity has arisen for me to be able to set up somewhere so I'm pumped.
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

gangrenous wrote:
Hbomb wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
Germane Ale?
???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Ale
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/germane?s=t
Nice, fair play
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

raiders milk
Dont delete this GE
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Notaroboticfish wrote:
Westsydneyraider wrote:I'm making the 2.5 hour trek down today I've decided. I hate the roosters with a passion and I figured the boys are up against a bit of adversity for the next month or so, so I'm going to do my bit and try and really get behind them.
COME ON YOU RAIDERS ! !

Right outside the actual car park on the Mal Meninga stand side
Or dryandra street, includes a nice 5min Bush walk
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

CIT is free.. And not that far
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

simo wrote:
raiders milk
Another winner, **** I'm going to have to brew a few for the next few weeks then
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Quite a bit of pressure on Williams today. Let's hope he comes through with the goods
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Im pretty confident in a solid performance from williams.
Dont delete this GE
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Hbomb wrote:
simo wrote:
raiders milk
Another winner, **** I'm going to have to brew a few for the next few weeks then
Last season I always tried to brew on game day. At least that way it wasn't a complete waste of an afternoon/evening!
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Lenny Leonard wrote:
CIT is free.. And not that far
The Bruce CIT is the best option by far
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

We've gone $2 plus outsiders into $1.80 favourites.

Injury cloud over someone?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Tupou hasnt trained all week
Hastings will play with an injury

And we are **** hot
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Should the beer toots (or Jr Jr), kind of goes with the horn theme but more importantly will suite the blinder Lachlan is going to have. Anyway bed for now, cya all in a few hours. Bring on the game, Whithead to score his first nrl try!
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

pickles wrote:
Hbomb wrote:
simo wrote:
raiders milk
Last season I always tried to brew on game day. At least that way it wasn't a complete waste of an afternoon/evening!
INGENIOUS!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote:I have a terrible feeling about this game
Yep, same here. Today is the perfect opportunity to prove that the team has turned the corner mentally. They should win this, but as always, it will depend on completing sets, kicking well and solid defence.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Need some high balls up on Mitchell's wing against lee
Thombre
Ruben Wiki

Post by Thombre »

Guys I'm sorry, to comply with the viking theme I've had to change the beer to a baltic porter. I hope you all understand. Plus its getting into cold weather in a few months, nothing like a 3 month old baltic porter
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

VictorTheViking wrote:Need some high balls up on Mitchell's wing against lee
And bomb the crap out of Fergo. Very suspect under the high ball