2016 Rd 3 V Knights: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Newcastle Knights?

Raiders 13+
50%
Raiders 1-12
17%
Draw
28%
Knights 1-12
No votes
Knights 13+
6%

Total votes: 18

Go_Greenm@chine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2016 Rd 3 V Knights: Game Day

Post by Go_Greenm@chine »

Coastalraider wrote:I was at the match yesterday, and the home crowd was amazing in that second half. You could see the Knights lift a notch every time they can back from a try, getting the crowd involved. Momentum swung and I think we did well to limit the points they put on us, our goal line defence has really improved.

We are 5 points from 3 rounds. Everyone here would have taken that as a great start prior to the season starting. It's true that we haven't played awesome footy, but we have found a way. I was concerned when I heard the team list that with Sammys tendency to go missing at times, we would struggle for direction in large periods having no second half on the field. I feel that's exactly what happened.

I'm actually proud of where we are right now, given our halves situation. Take Milford and Hunt out of the Broncos and they are stuffed. Take Thurston and Morgan out of the Cowboys, stuffed. Mbye and Reynolds, Brooks and Moses, Foran and Norman, the list goes on.

What we have done is build a resilient team, who is building a solid platform of points for when our stars come back and run the show. There is a massive amount of improvement to come with our main organising half and our main strike weapon to return, and build what I truly beleive will be one of the best all round halves pairings in the league.

Have faith, and it's pretty bloody good to be green!
Agree with all of that - a great effort by the boys to hang in with a tide of momentum washing over them, and then to pull off a great set play with high skill to get the game back level showed their ability to lift when the game is on the line. This team is bloody resilient and a joy to watch. Go Raiders.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Re-watching now jeez Newcastle line speed was good up in our face
How soon IS now?
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Was there any injury to Hodgo's foot?
How soon IS now?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

He did hurt it early in the match but played on
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

By the time the hooker passes it the D line is already inline with the play the ball... So fast
How soon IS now?
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Our line takes 3 steps forward then waits.
How soon IS now?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

El_Capitano wrote:By the time the hooker passes it the D line is already inline with the play the ball... So fast
You see it every week but I really doubt this is physically possible if they are onside. I mean Bolts 10 metre split is 1.8 seconds and the dummy half wouldn't take that long to pass the ball up after clearing the ruck.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Yeah, that's one of the things I hated about the game...
Our defensive line would take a few steps and wait for the ball runner, allowing Knights to make so much meters.
The Knight's defensive line on the other hand, was rushing up and limiting the meters we could make.
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

I think there's 3 things that affected our line speed.

Firstly, our boys are exhausted after the first 2 weeks in 30+ degree heat, which included injuries an extra minutes from certain players.

Secondly, possession and field position. In all 3 games, we have had less than 50% possession (which, to still be undefeated, shows the 'grit' and 'mental toughness' of the team). When you don't have possession, field position and are defending more often then not, you're going to be buggered. It makes getting off your line faster much, much harder.

Finally, the reduction in interchange. I think numerous coaches have mentioned how much more of an impact this has had on their team early in the season.
Brisbane Raider
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brisbane Raider »

RaiderMeadow wrote:That journo that Ricky gave it to in the press conference... He has thick skin.. Tinkler gave him a bake as well..

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/newc ... msvb7.html
The Robert Dillon piece that Stuart was upset about was a good read that made some good points about Ricky paying overs in the past for players that subsequently turned out to be relative duds. Ricky does himself a great disservice going off like that at journos. It's an embarrassing look for the club.

Dillon is right. The jury is out on whether Tapine is a good buy at the price that the Raiders have reportedly paid for him. It's a huge sum of money for someone with potential only at this stage.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

The point about interchange is a bit iffy though..

Even with how tough the first two rounds have been, this game was the first game that we got through without someone coming off injured and not being able to come back on. And with a 7 day turn around, you'd think we'd be able to keep our energies up for longer in this game than in the last two.

We have another 7 day turn around this week, hopefully the boys are more energetic for the full 80 next week against the Titans.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Brisbane Raider wrote:
RaiderMeadow wrote:That journo that Ricky gave it to in the press conference... He has thick skin.. Tinkler gave him a bake as well..

The Robert Dillon piece that Stuart was upset about was a good read that made some good points about Ricky paying overs in the past for players that subsequently turned out to be relative duds. Ricky does himself a great disservice going off like that at journos. It's an embarrassing look for the club.

Dillon is right. The jury is out on whether Tapine is a good buy at the price that the Raiders have reportedly paid for him. It's a huge sum of money for someone with potential only at this stage.

I thought it was a crap article which took another stab at Stuart for ancient history. He has blokes going back to one or two signings from 6 or 7 years ago when he has recruited better than any other coach in the past two years. Not to mention he has numbers getting thrown around by Newcastle reporters which are ridiculous but taken as gospel.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Finally got to watch the post match press conference.
Good on Ricky, not so much for taking a stance on not talking to that journo, but for continuing the press conference afterwards like nothing happened.
Good stuff Ricky
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Brisbane Raider wrote:

You got a link to this "good read"?
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

zim wrote:
Brisbane Raider wrote:

Might be this one
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/37229 ... the-times/

Hard to tell coz I can't find the reporter's name on the page
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

the blow up was funny, but it was also the height of petulance.
What does it say about Stuart when by his own admission he's only ever read ONE piece from the guy and he blows up like that because he fairly points out the risk of signing a guy like Tapine to such big money deals. It wasnt even that scathing tbh, he a pretty soft gloves approach with Karl Falinga
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Aero wrote:
zim wrote:
Brisbane Raider wrote:

Might be this one

It is the article concerned, Robert Dillon the author.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Aero wrote:
zim wrote:
Brisbane Raider wrote:

Might be this one

I'd be very surprised if that is what the blow up is about. Much, much worse has been said about stick in the past and he hasn't bitten back like that before in a press conference.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote:
Aero wrote:
zim wrote:
Brisbane Raider wrote:

Might be this one

It is the article concerned, Robert Dillon the author.
I'll take your word for it. I can't see the name of the author on the page either. Pretty innocuous article to get bent out of shape over. Really nothing in it at all.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:
Aero wrote:
zim wrote:
Brisbane Raider wrote:

Might be this one

I'd be very surprised if that is what the blow up is about. Much, much worse has been said about stick in the past and he hasn't bitten back like that before in a press conference.
That's the one zim
Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pigman wrote:the blow up was funny, but it was also the height of petulance.
What does it say about Stuart when by his own admission he's only ever read ONE piece from the guy and he blows up like that because he fairly points out the risk of signing a guy like Tapine to such big money deals. It wasnt even that scathing tbh, he a pretty soft gloves approach with Karl Falinga
Classic sticky, barely anyone mentioning toots missed penalty goal.
Misdirection
Edrick The Entertainer
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Dillion has said he has known Ricky for 20 years

Might be a history there more than one article.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newcastle Knights flyer Sione Mata'utia has been booked for a grade one dangerous throw on Canberra Raiders lock Shaun Fensom, and faces a one-match ban.

Read more: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11609447
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raidersrawesome wrote:Dillion has said he has known Ricky for 20 years

Buzz Rothfield reckons Dillon used to work for the Canberra Times when Sticky was still playing for the Raiders. Bit of history apparently
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I believe that to be correct.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote:
El_Capitano wrote:By the time the hooker passes it the D line is already inline with the play the ball... So fast
You see it every week but I really doubt this is physically possible if they are onside. I mean Bolts 10 metre split is 1.8 seconds and the dummy half wouldn't take that long to pass the ball up after clearing the ruck.
In a nutshell it's complete Bull. There were times in that game that Newcastle were given significant advantages in defence.

If the Raiders defended with that sort of 'linespeed' the pea would be blown out of the whistle. The referee is too busy focusing on what Fensom is doing off the ball (in attack) to worry about what the defensive line is doing.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

zim wrote:
Aero wrote:
zim wrote:
Brisbane Raider wrote:

Might be this one

Hmm I wouldnt be surprised if Sticky was more angry about the journo putting down the kid that Sticky signed rather than what the journo was implying about Sticky's recruitment skills...
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

My pet peeve with referees was on display in neon lights in this game, and Canberra were the ones most adversely affected. In the first 30 minutes Canberra had most of the ball and thus got most of the penalties at a stage when the refs were playing what was in front of them. Then the refs realised that the penalties were out of kilter and in the second half tried to even up the count. In order to do this they had to stop being harsh on Newcastle and look for penalties against the Raiders. They continued this right up until about the 70 minute mark when they went back to reffing what was in front of them. In the period when they were going fairly easy on Newcastle their defensive line speed was incredible, and allowed them to put extra pressure on Williams. The Newcastle halves in this period were running riot against a static defence.
Not all the blame for that static defence can be laid at the feet of the reffs, it seems to be a choice made by the raiders, perhaps to reduce penalties in which case it is a failure as 1) the penalties keep coming anyways as above and 2) allowing opposition forwards to make easy meters allows them to work for the penalties the refs are looking to give them.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I really think we panic in defence when the game goes a tad awry. We just need to **** lay down in the play the ball and slow the game down big time. Even if that means penalty after penalty. Because with the way the game is at the moment the refs will blow penalties regardless if the attacking team is making metres. Rolling away and leaving no marker just leaves your team more vulnerable than holding down and rsiking a penalty.

As I said in the long winded post the other night; I picked 4 from 4 penalty sets on atckle 1 when we were defending. My other half doesn't know a lot about the game but she was pretty astounded at an average supporter being able to predict referee decisions in advance so easily. Once those 50/50 penalties go against you, you really have to try and slow the game down, if that's illegally so be it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Finchy wrote:

Buzz Rothfield reckons Dillon used to work for the Canberra Times when Sticky was still playing for the Raiders. Bit of history apparently
That would make the blow up more justified. Either way he's taken all the brunt off Croker and the teams performance. All the best coaches employ this tactic. It's got people whinging about Ricky and not the team, so he's done his job, and I doubt he'll be losing a wink of sleep over what anyone thinks.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

We need to learn that there is times and field positions where giving away a penalty is the best option. Inside our 10 out wide, hold down all day! Get the penalty count to favour the opposition and it pays off later. Penalties in our ten should be given away at any time we feel stretched if we have a lead
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

simo wrote:We need to learn that there is times and field positions where giving away a penalty is the best option. Inside our 10 out wide, hold down all day! Get the penalty count to favour the opposition and it pays off later. Penalties in our ten should be given away at any time we feel stretched if we have a lead
Yeah I think it's something we have been better at this year in the first 2 games. Still lots of room for improvement.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Raider Bell wrote:
Finchy wrote:

That would make the blow up more justified. Either way he's taken all the brunt off Croker and the teams performance. All the best coaches employ this tactic. It's got people whinging about Ricky and not the team, so he's done his job, and I doubt he'll be losing a wink of sleep over what anyone thinks.
Ricky took the focus off the team all year last year and people had a whinge about his PC.
Its a tactic he employs a lot. What he would say to the team behind closed doors would be quite different.
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

When I left he game on Sat I was a bit peeved that we only got the one point. I saw it as one point lost, given my expectation all week that everyone else in the comp would be almost guaranteed 2 points when they play the Knights. But now I think (a) the Knights aren't so bad and loads of other teams will possibly not even get one point so we've got a pass mark and/or (b) it was a blip and the Knights are still that bad, but we get to play them again and some other teams don't - so if we get the two points next time we're actually doing better than those other teams.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Knights are bad but in the NRL bad teams can still get up for a game and win . They were up for their 1st home game. We were flat but managed to fight for a draw