2016 Rd 4 V Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans?

Raiders 13+
19%
Raiders 1-12
44%
Draw
8%
Titans 1-12
22%
Titans 13+
6%

Total votes: 36

Canberrigan
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2016 Rd 4 V Titans: Teams and Previews

Post by Canberrigan »

zim wrote:

I don't know why I'm even bothering but:

Image 1 shows Rapana positioned correctly out wide. Way outside his man but close enough to Leilua that if it goes through the hands he can be there to receive a pass from him. This is the moment Jack receives the ball.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/706 ... hton-1.png

Image 2 shows Wighton about to pass the ball. This is not a no look pass, and it is clear it is not because the pass he selects is a looping one to go over Tupous head. The rooster's player he can see that is in the way.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/706 ... hton-2.png

Image 3 shows how far the ball goes above Rapana's head. He couldn't reach that if he was twice his height.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/706 ... hton-3.png

Image 4 shows where it lands. Just inside the touch line. That is almost the only thing out of what you've said that is on the money and it doesn't even matter because it is clearly just a very poor pass.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/706 ... hton-4.png

It's not bad communication. It's not an instinct play. It's just a very poor pass.
Now we can all move on to more interesting things.

Note to mods: I used links instead of images as the images are quite large.

I think the 2nd pic shows why he fluffed the pass because the Roosters defender is probably obstructing his view and he's given it more air to clear that player. I agree it's not a no look pass but he threw that pass at fullback so criticising him for not being able to throw a long ball is not a great argument for keeping him at the back. It's actually a great argument to move him back to the centres. He also recovered from that shocker to go on and lay two tries on. Imo he's not a natural fullback and others are fine to disagree but he is a better five eighth than the other options of Whitehead, Croker. However if they're not going to play Waqa I don't see the alternative unless they played Whitehead in the centres and Brenko on the wing but I don't see that happening. Waqa should be playing if he's still on the payroll-every two points matters especially with players out injured.

Croker doesn't seem to have an X factor in attack that warrants an express path to NRL. He needs to learn how to break a defensive line that won't automatically yield like he's used to in U20s. He doesn't appear to have a step or an extra yard of pace to do it himself and he doesn't have the timing to throw a pass that will facilitate a line break. Jason Smith could do that and I wouldn't call him an elite athlete during his time with the Raiders but he made Carney look every bit the rookie he was.
Last edited by Canberrigan on March 22, 2016, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack back to five eighth
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

The best part is Sam Williams' reaction in the final photo!
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Canberrigan
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Canberrigan »

DJ89 wrote:
Canberrigan wrote:As for the Panthers they also lost by two points last week and won by just one today. I have less of an issue with the Panthers game because the Raiders had to deal with injuries on the run. That is not the same as the Roosters getting absolutely smashed 40-0 after losing by 1 the previous week and getting 42 put on them in the first round. Roosters and Knights have been consistently terrible whereas the Panthers loss by 8pts to the Raiders was their biggest margin win or loss. The Titans put 30 on the Knights in round 1 and then Souths put 48 on them last week. Is it that hard to sort out the wheat from the Chaff? I mean if you analyse it closely there's consistent performances there. Good: Titans, Souths, Penrith Crap: Roosters, Knights
Ok. So, we beat Penrith by eight. They beat the Broncos by 1. We beat the Roosters by one and the Cowboys beat them by 40.

Lads, load up on the Cowboys by 49 points this weekend against the Broncos.

I know a week is a long time in the NRL and line ups change, home ground advantage swings and teams have different turn around times, but this logic above is flawless.
So if you had to rank the teams 1-16 on the strength of their wins/losses would you have Broncos and Cowboys behind the Raiders like they are on the competition table? If the Raiders get that win over the Knights, then Newcastle are 15th instead of 14th, Roosters 16th. They've played the worst teams and have a +/- differential that sticks out like the proverbial. They really should be somewhere more like 7th-10th on the ladder. I would have them ahead of the Panthers but not by much.
Jack back to five eighth
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The NRL ladder does just that, it ranks the teams by their performance.

And guess what?? We're second!!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

GEM wrote: 'With Hodgson at dummy half kicking options on the last are limited. That's the only concern I have with Whitehead staying at 5/8th. We are relying on Wighton as the 2nd kicking option which hasn't worked well in the past.'

I agree Jack's kicking game 'needs work' but I was encouraged by his kicking into the gale against the Knights. He put in 3 second half kicks to Hodgos 1 and Hodgo played most of the second half at 5/8. Hodgo put in 4 kicks in the first half when he was in the No9 and we had the wind - including the magnificent 40/20. The majority of the kicking (as it should) fell to Sam Williams who put in 5 kicks in each half. (Source: NRL Stats). I haven't seen enough of EW to know if he has a kicking game. I didn't know he had such a fine passing game either until last week. For me it is EW or Lachlan Croker into 5/8 but given Sticky didn't go with LC last week I would go with the same 17 for this week.
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

Debaser wrote:
luke wrote:
Debaser wrote:Is there any chance at all that Sezer could come back a week early??????

Don't know (about you, but I am un chien Andalusia).
Nicely done mate! :clap: :clap:
Still one of my favourite albums
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Mead: Happy to fly under radar

David Mead looks at the team's progression in the first three rounds and the tough new challenge against the unbeaten Raiders on Saturday.

The Aquis Titans travel to GIO Stadium to take on the Raiders who have won two and had a draw from the first three rounds. Kick-off is 5.30pm (4.30pm in Qld).

Video: http://www.titans.com.au/news/2016/03/2 ... op_ra.html
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Brenko Lee taking his opportunities

It was the moment that hauled the Raiders back into their match against the Newcastle Knights - Brenko Lee's try in the final five minutes.

“I’ve got to take it with two hands – it’s unlucky for him (Leilua) to get suspended, but the opportunity opens and I’ve got to take it,” Brenko Lee said.

“Opportunities like this don’t open up all the time, and you have to take them when you can. I know I’ve got to keep working to get better. That’s what Ricky asks of all the boys – that everyone gets better every session, that’s all you can do.”

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2016/03/ ... ng_hi.html
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

greeneyed wrote:I sure Shillo will be one of those former players the crowd won't be booing at Canberra Stadium.

Apart from the fortress gag and aiming up during origin selection periods, Shillo didn't do anything wrong by the team or fans. He served us well for many years and for a while was our only regular rep player.

Would be poor form from the crowd if Shillo gets booed.

People forget that he's one of the first latte sippers to abandon the big city life to head to Canberra while their career was peaking, rather than joining us when they had nowhere else to go
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Im sure no one has plans to boo shillo. He moved on gracefully
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Aero wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I sure Shillo will be one of those former players the crowd won't be booing at Canberra Stadium.

Apart from the fortress gag and aiming up during origin selection periods, Shillo didn't do anything wrong by the team or fans. He served us well for many years and for a while was our only regular rep player.

People forget that he's one of the first latte sippers to abandon the big city life to head to Canberra while their career was peaking, rather than joining us when they had nowhere else to go
I totally agree with the majority of your post but he came to Canberra to get a starting gig that he couldn't get at the roosters. He peaked after he arrived I thought.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

simo wrote:Im sure no one has plans to boo shillo. He moved on gracefully
I agree and would like to think he'd get a warm reception when he runs on to fortress Bruce.

Then smash him.....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote:
simo wrote:Im sure no one has plans to boo shillo. He moved on gracefully
I agree and would like to think he'd get a warm reception when he runs on to fortress Bruce.

Then smash him.....
Some people seem to be planning it in this thread.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Always liked Shillo.

I do hope he has a poor game this weekend. Nothing personal.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I will boo him through my television on Satd arvo but that's different... :thumbsup

He was good for us and could/should have hung around another 12 months.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

So keen for this one. Probably my one and only live Raiders game for the year. Hope it's warm!
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Leeeave Shillooo alone! Leave him alone!

Haha.

Heading down to the game. Have not been down there since Furner's last game.

If anyone has a single sister feel free to set us up (nothing suss)
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

There might be some 'pillow talk' about 'the Titan who plans to tear down his old fortress'. However, I don't foresee any booing.
The_Green_Hope
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The_Green_Hope »

As soon as someone stops playing for the Raiders they are dead to me until they retire. Wouldn't boo a player that left legitimately though. Fergo, Dugan and Carney were obvious candidates for serious booing.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The_Green_Hope wrote:As soon as someone stops playing for the Raiders they are dead to me until they retire. Wouldn't boo a player that left legitimately though. Fergo, Dugan and Carney were obvious candidates for serious booing.
how often does that booing work out for us though?
Dont delete this GE
The_Green_Hope
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The_Green_Hope »

simo wrote:
The_Green_Hope wrote:As soon as someone stops playing for the Raiders they are dead to me until they retire. Wouldn't boo a player that left legitimately though. Fergo, Dugan and Carney were obvious candidates for serious booing.
how often does that booing work out for us though?
I like to think that underneath the ripping performance they often put in reply that they are crushed inside. Don't shatter my illusion Simo.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If the halves are still unavilable I think we need Hodgson there. Whitehead did his physical duties pretty well but we really lacked a second half commanding ball IMO. Every time we went right we looked like scoring (or scored) and we only went there a few times. Hodgson one side of the ruck and Williams the other will create more attacking opportunities IMO. If Clydsdale isn't right or Baptiste can't play 80 I've got no probalem with Whitehead starting at 6...but Hodgson has to move there after the opening 20-25 once the game opens up.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Gerg wrote:
Aero wrote:

I totally agree with the majority of your post but he came to Canberra to get a starting gig that he couldn't get at the roosters. He peaked after he arrived I thought.
Yeah, he didnt reach his peak till a year or so under Furner if my memory serves me correctly. His form was on the way up though, but yeah, just had too much competition for spots at the Roosters. It's still a far cry from the journeymen or about-to-be retirees that usually comes to us
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:If the halves are still unavilable I think we need Hodgson there. Whitehead did his physical duties pretty well but we really lacked a second half commanding ball IMO. Every time we went right we looked like scoring (or scored) and we only went there a few times. Hodgson one side of the ruck and Williams the other will create more attacking opportunities IMO. If Clydsdale isn't right or Baptiste can't play 80 I've got no probalem with Whitehead starting at 6...but Hodgson has to move there after the opening 20-25 once the game opens up.
Which is what should've happened against the Knights. I firmly believe if Baptiste had come on earlier in the second half when the Knights just started to gain the front foot we would've won. The zip he provides around the ruck and the steadying influence of Hodgson in the halves would've wrested the momentum back towards us IMO.
Last edited by The Nickman on March 22, 2016, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

And I'm not sure how he fits at full strength but I really like Tapine. He's a point of difference in our pack IMO, a bit of power, spark and footwork that we may just lack across the board otherwise. Once we're settled he probably has to make our bench as a running forward. I guess that means one of the older middle third players misses out./
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Nickman wrote:
julian87 wrote:If the halves are still unavilable I think we need Hodgson there. Whitehead did his physical duties pretty well but we really lacked a second half commanding ball IMO. Every time we went right we looked like scoring (or scored) and we only went there a few times. Hodgson one side of the ruck and Williams the other will create more attacking opportunities IMO. If Clydsdale isn't right or Baptiste can't play 80 I've got no probalem with Whitehead starting at 6...but Hodgson has to move there after the opening 20-25 once the game opens up.
Which is what should've happened against the Knights. I firmly believe if Baptiste had come on earlier in the second half when the Knights just started to gain the front foot we would've won. The zip he provides around the ruck and the steadying influence of Hodgson in the halves would've wrested the momentum back towards us IMO.
I agree to an extent and I actually said as much to the blokes I was with about 5 into the second half; that Baptiste was extremely important for us working into the wind.

But getting your reserve hooker on isn't going to change anything when you don't touch the ball for 10 consecutive sets of 6.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

julian87 wrote:And I'm not sure how he fits at full strength but I really like Tapine. He's a point of difference in our pack IMO, a bit of power, spark and footwork that we may just lack across the board otherwise. Once we're settled he probably has to make our bench as a running forward. I guess that means one of the older middle third players misses out./
x2 I think FPN is the most expendable.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Also Hodgson looked far from comfortable on his foot for about an hour of the game.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
I agree to an extent and I actually said as much to the blokes I was with about 5 into the second half; that Baptiste was extremely important for us working into the wind.

But getting your reserve hooker on isn't going to change anything when you don't touch the ball for 10 consecutive sets of 6.
But he came on during those 10 consecutive sets. He needed to come on well before that! I said to the missus at the time "Baldy Beardy has been on for ten minutes and we haven't even had the ball once! It's too late!!"
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Nickman wrote:
julian87 wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

But he came on during those 10 consecutive sets. He needed to come on well before that! I said to the missus at the time "Baldy Beardy has been on for ten minutes and we haven't even had the ball once! It's too late!!"
I know. One of his first involvements was a desperate attempt at a try saver on Mataora. We're pretty much agreeing here anyway. Baptiste came on too late and Hodgson needs to play way more halves if the main 2 are out.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I like you, Julian.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote:I like you, Julian.
You do know simo can see that? Right?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Green_Hammock wrote:
julian87 wrote:And I'm not sure how he fits at full strength but I really like Tapine. He's a point of difference in our pack IMO, a bit of power, spark and footwork that we may just lack across the board otherwise. Once we're settled he probably has to make our bench as a running forward. I guess that means one of the older middle third players misses out./
x2 I think FPN is the most expendable.
I agree regarding FPN. Has been consistently underwhelming in green.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Soooo cute when you act like im not going to get a call after your 3rd micro brew
Dont delete this GE
Debaser
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Debaser »

luke wrote:
Debaser wrote:
luke wrote:
Debaser wrote:Is there any chance at all that Sezer could come back a week early??????

Don't know (about you, but I am un chien Andalusia).
Nicely done mate! :clap: :clap:
Still one of my favourite albums
Yep Doolittle is epic!