Cowboys 13+
18%

Total votes: 40

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2017 Rd 1 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Elliott Whitehead back and ready to kick on

After a stellar debut season in the NRL, Canberra Raiders back-rower Elliott Whitehead returns refreshed and ready to ride the highs and lows of the 2017 season.

"We are just starting fresh… there's a long way to go," he said. "We just need to concentrate on Round 1 in Townsville and hopefully build on some confidence there and then kick on. It's going to be a tough season but we are just going to wait and see where we are at come Round 26."

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/whitehead-back-and-r ... fault.aspx
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

simo wrote:When it doesnt warrant a full game suspension the player will be required to wear a novalty headgear for a game. The headgear will likely have a ***** drawn on it for lols

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That explains junior and that 5th grade union fiasco! Just serving his sentence.

Say hello to Miguel Taylor!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker worried his captaincy secret may be out

Injured centre Jarrod Croker has backed star hooker Josh Hodgson's captaincy while he is on the sidelines, although he conceded his secret might be out. He joked it wouldn't take Hodgson long to cotton on to how easy he has it in captaining the Raiders given all the experienced leaders he has around him through the likes of Sia Soliola.

"Hodgo's my right hand man, he's always sort of been there. He was the obvious choice. I think Hodgo will find how easy I've got it with the leaders around and he won't change at all on or off the field."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ujkzt.html
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

This is what makes our leadership group so good. Every player on the teams voice seems to count

Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fired up after being rated rank outsiders against North Queensland Cowboys

Despite being the NRL’s giant killers last year, Canberra will head to Townsville as rank outsiders in betting with only wooden spoon favourites Newcastle starting at longer odds when they travel to New Zealand to face the Warriors.

"It was learning curve for us and I am glad it happened to be fair,” Hodgson said of the trial loss to the Knights. “It was a bit of a shock to the system, the speed of the game and the result of the game, to a few people. That is probably a good thing going into round one.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... af127560be
Moreliaviridis
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Joel Thompson

Post by Moreliaviridis »

There is good reason writing of the Raiders against the Cowboys. Having lived in Townsville on and off the years I cannot recall seeing a Raiders win in Townsville. I was away with work the last time we won. Plenty of teams have tried, few have succeded to get a win against the Cowboys.
This year is the first time I believe we have a team that actually beat the Cowboys at home. Injuries and suspensions certainly haven't helped our cause but we have the depth and a new culture that will see us through. For a change I want to be able to give it to the Cowboys supporters instead of copping it after ever loss.
It is going to very hot, there has been rain around so humidity may play a play part and don't discount the Cowboys fans. I have faith in Ricky and the team to turn the tables this year.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

I think DT should be suspended for two games. Lucky for us we sat him out of the 9's and the Allstars (we were going to send him instead of Croker i swear >.>). NRL can backdate the suspension like they do so love doing, no regular games missed. Simples.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Moreliaviridis wrote:There is good reason writing of the Raiders against the Cowboys. Having lived in Townsville on and off the years I cannot recall seeing a Raiders win in Townsville. I was away with work the last time we won. Plenty of teams have tried, few have succeded to get a win against the Cowboys.
This year is the first time I believe we have a team that actually beat the Cowboys at home. Injuries and suspensions certainly haven't helped our cause but we have the depth and a new culture that will see us through. For a change I want to be able to give it to the Cowboys supporters instead of copping it after ever loss.
It is going to very hot, there has been rain around so humidity may play a play part and don't discount the Cowboys fans. I have faith in Ricky and the team to turn the tables this year.
I only watched 1 game when we won and that was a brad drew field goal!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

We almost won a few years ago - Stickys first game as coach I think. Had the lead until the Thurston show started - pretty sure it was a quick tap from mid field that lead to their comeback

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

2006 I'm pretty sure was the last time we won there, Carney kicked a field goal from 40 out
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Aero wrote:We almost won a few years ago - Stickys first game as coach I think. Had the lead until the Thurston show started - pretty sure it was a quick tap from mid field that lead to their comeback

Mccrone with his back turned
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cowboys will test Raiders left edge

FORMER Cowboys centre Paul Bowman expects the team to direct some early traffic at Canberra’s makeshift left-edge in next Saturday’s season-opener as salary cap pressure forces the Raiders to offload talent.

Asked if the left edge was an area the Cowboys could look to exploit against the Raiders Bowman said: “Yeah it is, it’s never good to lose anyone to injury but especially a player the quality he (Croker) is, and he’s their captain, it’s a pretty big out for them.

Read more: http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sp ... ef1020c92f
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

-TW- wrote:2006 I'm pretty sure was the last time we won there, Carney kicked a field goal from 40 out
I remember Matt Russell (I think) carrying on like a pork chop about that. Saying how the raiders won off of the ugliest field goal he has ever seen etc etc. Never mentioned that Carney just blasted it 40m.
Bloody muppet
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

greeneyed wrote:Cowboys will test Raiders left edge

FORMER Cowboys centre Paul Bowman expects the team to direct some early traffic at Canberra’s makeshift left-edge in next Saturday’s season-opener as salary cap pressure forces the Raiders to offload talent.

Asked if the left edge was an area the Cowboys could look to exploit against the Raiders Bowman said: “Yeah it is, it’s never good to lose anyone to injury but especially a player the quality he (Croker) is, and he’s their captain, it’s a pretty big out for them.

Read more: http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sp ... ef1020c92f
Wow... Rocket science right there
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Ilanraiders wrote:
Moreliaviridis wrote:There is good reason writing of the Raiders against the Cowboys. Having lived in Townsville on and off the years I cannot recall seeing a Raiders win in Townsville. I was away with work the last time we won. Plenty of teams have tried, few have succeded to get a win against the Cowboys.
I only watched 1 game when we won and that was a brad drew field goal!!
Man I remember that like it was yesterday!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

KingDynamite wrote:
-TW- wrote:2006 I'm pretty sure was the last time we won there, Carney kicked a field goal from 40 out
I remember Matt Russell (I think) carrying on like a pork chop about that. Saying how the raiders won off of the ugliest field goal he has ever seen etc etc. Never mentioned that Carney just blasted it 40m.
Bloody muppet
Mark Braybrook probably, he whined and bitched about us winning vs the Tigers where we were offside and charged down their shot to go up the other end and kick one

We cheated apparently
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

KingDynamite wrote:
Bloody muppet
Me and some mates were talking about that the other day
The actual ugliest field goal of all time was the one carney kicked at Ctown to sink Skando's farewell

That one against the cowboys was an absolute rocket
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

-TW- wrote:
KingDynamite wrote:
Bloody muppet
Mark Braybrook probably, he whined and bitched about us winning vs the Tigers where we were offside and charged down their shot to go up the other end and kick one

We cheated apparently
Junior was the commentator on that one as well. The tears were delicious!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ugliest field goal has to be McCrone I think it was. Would have missed by miles but deflected by a charge down through the posts.

Also did Campo miss that shot from like 10 out or did that go over. I've got vague memories of an awful one from him.
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

bonehead wrote:
Aero wrote:We almost won a few years ago - Stickys first game as coach I think. Had the lead until the Thurston show started - pretty sure it was a quick tap from mid field that lead to their comeback

Mccrone with his back turned
And Thurston being allowed to take a quick tap off the mark and in front of Mccrone who was the one penalised. Refs usually pull the player back when this happens.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jordan Rapana wants to be more 'ruthless' for the Canberra Raiders

They scored 34 tries between them in 2016, but Jordan Rapana has vowed to make his combination with Joey Leilua even better at Canberra this year.

"I want to be a ruthless defender," Rapana said. "A player people come up against and kind of fear. We scored tries last year we also leaked quite a few points on our edge. It's something that we've done a lot of work on in the pre-season. But I know teams are going to be coming down a lot harder on myself and Joey."

Read more: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/897 ... ra-Raiders
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

gangrenous wrote:Ugliest field goal has to be McCrone I think it was. Would have missed by miles but deflected by a charge down through the posts.

Also did Campo miss that shot from like 10 out or did that go over. I've got vague memories of an awful one from him.
Didn't Tilse or Shillington kick one?

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Shillo put up a bomb for a try i think

Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

simo wrote:Shillo put up a bomb for a try i think

Vs knights in a monumental thrashing, dugan scored off it
Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rick wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Ugliest field goal has to be McCrone I think it was. Would have missed by miles but deflected by a charge down through the posts.

Didn't Tilse or Shillington kick one?

Tilse knocked on,ended up kicking the ball and it hit the post
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

That's right. I remember pissing myself laughing at would would have happened if it went over ImageImage

What an unco giraffe

Braddrew
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

Just had a look through the photos for the opposed session, and I could be wrong but Whitehead seems to be on the left side for a lot of the photos with Soliola on the right edge. If thats the case it would seem like we are going in with this starting 13:
1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Whitehead
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Austin
7. Sezer
8. Tapine/ Lima
9. Hodgson
10. Boyd
11. Papali
12. Soliola
13. Bateman

To me it would make more sense to shift Soliola there so we aren't breaking up that right edge. Either way I actually feel more comfortable with Whitehead rather then Turner (just from what ive seen so far).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That would make me feel a WHOLE lot better about the left edge.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Agree
I don't post facts
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sticky's selection stunner

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is contemplating a stunning selection move which is considered completely left-field. Elliott Whitehead has been training in the centres for the past fortnight with the the belief that his ability as a strong defender will be suited to shutting the Cowboys outside backs.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/l ... r7/slide/2

@Braddrew
Looks like other's have picked that up too. Good catch.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Wow- yeah good pickup.

I'm very surprised as I'd only heard of Whitehead ever playing on the right- didn't we shift Papa's sides to accomodate him?

I would have worries about his speed/agility against some centres but Ricky has access to all their times and so on so I'll trust he thinks he can foot it.

I DO have more confidence in Whitehead there than Turner, I know Whitehead can tackle and is a smart footballer. He's fairly experienced as well with SL experience, internationals and a full NRL season so he'll be able to give Cotric some knowledge and confidence.

It's growing on me as an idea but Whitehead will be some kind of footballer if he can pull it off.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Whitehead could possibly also be training there in case one of the 2 NRL debutants has a Barry Croker and needs a hooking.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

:thumbsup I like this selection. Not sure where it leaves Turner but I think he needs a few reggies games to see if he can lift to the pace of FG in Australia.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Is Whitehead quick enough on his feet to defend at centre?

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'