Eels 13+
15%

Total votes: 20

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2018 Rd 6 V Eels: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by hrundi89 »

Well at least this should provide some indication about Austin and Paps' intent.

Even if they're not at their best physically they can still put in the effort that shows they deserve to be there.

They have the talent, they just need to use it, and use it regularly.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

I have to say, I have more faith in Austin in a 2 year deal than Papalii doing anything new, amazing, rebuilding, etc.

Paps I'm sorry to say is on the fade.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Sticky out. Completely shows his dropping off Papa and Austin was for show only

And doesn't have the footy smarts to move Wighton

Hingano is too small to play hooker, he's being thrown to the wolves
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Is Garvey not a part of the top squad or has he been named previously on the extended bench?

Not a fan of dropping Knight, I hope Papalii justifies his selection this week.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jozzas
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by jozzas »

All I'll say is that if Tapine doesn't get that edge spot that was Papalii's, I'm just about done with this whole thing. Tapine had one of the best performances you'll see last week and 100% deserves to stay there. If Papalii walks back into it, Ricky has rocks in his head. That would just be the icing on the poor selections and poor use of bench cake.

Also, neither Hingano nor Sezer are hookers. If you need another hooker, carry one on the effing bench. What happened to Hingano is what happens when you put a halfback in the middle and expect him to defend like a hooker with zero experience doing so. I actually am embarrassed on behalf of the coaching staff that this stuff keeps happening each week. Under 12s sides with dad-of-one-of-the-players coaches do a better job of this stuff.
Goobeeful
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Goobeeful »

jozzas wrote: April 10, 2018, 5:17 pm What happened to Hingano is what happens when you put a halfback in the middle and expect him to defend like a hooker with zero experience doing so. I actually am embarrassed on behalf of the coaching staff that this stuff keeps happening each week. Under 12s sides with dad-of-one-of-the-players coaches do a better job of this stuff.
Hinganos played at hooker before though. Need to calm down a bit mate
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

jozzas wrote: April 10, 2018, 5:17 pm All I'll say is that if Tapine doesn't get that edge spot that was Papalii's, I'm just about done with this whole thing. Tapine had one of the best performances you'll see last week and 100% deserves to stay there. If Papalii walks back into it, Ricky has rocks in his head. That would just be the icing on the poor selections and poor use of bench cake.

Also, neither Hingano nor Sezer are hookers. If you need another hooker, carry one on the effing bench. What happened to Hingano is what happens when you put a halfback in the middle and expect him to defend like a hooker with zero experience doing so. I actually am embarrassed on behalf of the coaching staff that this stuff keeps happening each week. Under 12s sides with dad-of-one-of-the-players coaches do a better job of this stuff.
Tapine was named in the back row in round 1. Whitehead is the person likely to move if Paps doesn't play in the middle.

Personally, I think Papa should play in the middle and hope he does. He needs to roll up his sleeves and prove to the Raiders faithful that he wants to stay at the club.

As for Austin being recalled. I hope Ricky has pulled him aside this week and told him that a sub-par performance on Saturday will be his last in a Raiders jersey. Similarly, I hope he has told Hingano that he'll be straight into the halves if Austin doesn't perform.

We have to win on Saturday. If we don't Ricky is going to be right back where he was after the Manly game.
Braddrew
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

Timbo wrote: April 10, 2018, 4:51 pm I just let out a groan so loud people on my bus looked.

I just don't get it. Austin and Papalli have done nothing to deserve the recall. We apparently signed Garvey just to take up cap space. Knight was good last week and is punted. Wighton is apparently on his last legs at the club, was shopping himeslf to the Knights because he wants to play centre, and is straight back in a spine position.

Once Ricky forms a plan, he cannot be moved, despite the obvious.

If we lose on Saturday night because of the players who were rubbish through the first few weeks, Rick better start typing up his CV. Because going back to players who lost you matches the week after breaking the drought is **** insanity.
Papalli is easily in our best 17 every week, why would you want him not playing at all this week (as mounties have the bye)? Its a pretty simple call imo, to recall our only SOO player who made 182 metres, 4 tackle-breaks and 21 tackles last week for mounties. What more did you want him to do?
I agree that Garvey should be named at 14, however he is on minimum coin so he really isnt taking up cap space. I also agree that knight was good last week, he made an impact off the bench but Papalli is better so he has to make room. If Papa comes on after 20min to replace Bateman at 13 then I think its our strongest bench we can field. Ive never been a huge fan on Lui, but he has actually made an impact off the bench the last few weeks and we have looked our best this year when Boyd has been on the field.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

So one win and all is rosy with Ricky, will be interesting to see how the team plays
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Knight bought a lot of enthusiasm to the side last week and he is a front rower of the future so we need to be blooding him now and keeping him in the side. I’m shattered he hasn’t retained his spot. I agree with the Garvey and Hingano sentiment. I’m concerned about Saturday, Austin being the main concern

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

It's come to the point where I would rather have Josh McCrone in the halves instead of Austin. You really have to feel for Knight, he finally gets some decent minutes then he's replaced by the fattest **** in the NRL the next week.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Braddrew wrote:
Timbo wrote: April 10, 2018, 4:51 pm I just let out a groan so loud people on my bus looked.

I just don't get it. Austin and Papalli have done nothing to deserve the recall. We apparently signed Garvey just to take up cap space. Knight was good last week and is punted. Wighton is apparently on his last legs at the club, was shopping himeslf to the Knights because he wants to play centre, and is straight back in a spine position.

Once Ricky forms a plan, he cannot be moved, despite the obvious.

If we lose on Saturday night because of the players who were rubbish through the first few weeks, Rick better start typing up his CV. Because going back to players who lost you matches the week after breaking the drought is **** insanity.
Papalli is easily in our best 17 every week, why would you want him not playing at all this week (as mounties have the bye)? Its a pretty simple call imo, to recall our only SOO player who made 182 metres, 4 tackle-breaks and 21 tackles last week for mounties. What more did you want him to do?
I agree that Garvey should be named at 14, however he is on minimum coin so he really isnt taking up cap space. I also agree that knight was good last week, he made an impact off the bench but Papalli is better so he has to make room. If Papa comes on after 20min to replace Bateman at 13 then I think its our strongest bench we can field. Ive never been a huge fan on Lui, but he has actually made an impact off the bench the last few weeks and we have looked our best this year when Boyd has been on the field.
Nailed it. Our only SOO player has been sent a message, he responded. Now he plays in firsts and I’m sure will be strong for us.

On Austin I’m thankful for all of the good publicity he has brought the club. But he isn’t the answer for us anymore. I hope he plays well and earns himself a new contract elsewhere.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

BVRaider wrote: April 10, 2018, 5:52 pm It's come to the point where I would rather have Josh McCrone in the halves instead of Austin. You really have to feel for Knight, he finally gets some decent minutes then he's replaced by the fattest **** in the NRL the next week.
I disagree here BV, last year on a few occasions I mentioned how fat Austin looked, this year I think hes looks very fit.

This Saturday will be very interesting, a poor performance and a loss will see loss of confidence and faith in Ricky.

And not just this Saturday, if he keeps the same team as the first 4 weeks and gets even close to the same line speed and attitude will see unrest amongst fans.

I hope it works but honestly I have big doubts
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

BVRaider wrote: April 10, 2018, 5:52 pm It's come to the point where I would rather have Josh McCrone in the halves instead of Austin. You really have to feel for Knight, he finally gets some decent minutes then he's replaced by the fattest **** in the NRL the next week.
McCrone? i suggest you go and review McCrones " Best Of" and you will retract that statement, as for Papalii, il tip him to have big game this week against the Eels
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Johno wrote: April 10, 2018, 5:57 pm
I disagree here BV, last year on a few occasions I mentioned how fat Austin looked, this year I think hes looks very fit.

This Saturday will be very interesting, a poor performance and a loss will see loss of confidence and faith in Ricky.

And not just this Saturday, if he keeps the same team as the first 4 weeks and gets even close to the same line speed and attitude will see unrest amongst fans.

I hope it works but honestly I have big doubts
The fat **** he's referring to is Papalii, not Austin
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

R-E-L-A-X people.

Papa has been in our side since round 10 2011 (great debut and awesome win!) so this is the first time he has been dropped in his NRL career, that should be more than enough to light a fire within him. Also, he is starting from the bench.

Austin and Sezer will be the halves pairing all game with Hingano playing a Baptiste style role to Havili.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

1992 wrote: April 10, 2018, 6:13 pm R-E-L-A-X people.

Papa has been in our side since round 10 2011 (great debut and awesome win!) so this is the first time he has been dropped in his NRL career, that should be more than enough to light a fire within him. Also, he is starting from the bench.

Austin and Sezer will be the halves pairing all game with Hingano playing a Baptiste style role to Havili.
I bet my left twin that last bit don't happen...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Blake Austin and Josh Papalii earn Canberra Raiders recall

They took their medicine and now high-profile Canberra Raiders duo Josh Papalii and Blake Austin have convinced coach Ricky Stuart they are ready to aim up.

"I’ve been very impressed with how Papa and Blake have taken their relegation. That’s why they’ve been selected again, they’ve taken their medicine," Stuart said. "There was no other way to take it, you’ve got to be professional about the situation, and they both have. They’re a big part of our squad and I need them both playing very well.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 4z8qo.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart could leave Jack Wighton's immediate future in own hands

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart will leave Jack Wighton to decide if he is prepared to play at NRL level this week as he deals with the pressure of facing nine charges in court.

"He had his second child last Thursday morning and he probably has been a little bit fortunate that we had the Thursday game so he had a little bit of time off over the weekend," Stuart said. "He has been back at training since Monday. The NRL squad had [Tuesday] off but he was back in on Monday and training with the squad.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 4z8of.html
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

So they got dropped for form or attitude ? Because neither have regained any form....
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

jozzas wrote:
"All I'll say is that if Tapine doesn't get that edge spot that was Papalii's, I'm just about done with this whole thing. Tapine had one of the best performances you'll see last week and 100% deserves to stay there. If Papalii walks back into it, Ricky has rocks in his head. That would just be the icing on the poor selections and poor use of bench cake."

Agree with this part. And it's similar for the other fwds (e.g., Lui) that stepped up and took ownership. And gee it sends a bad message when one of the pack gets dropped after what they did last week. I love Paps but i'm struggling to come to terms with his selection.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I'm not too disappointed about the recalled players. I would've picked Papalli on the bench to come on into the middle after the game is settled as well. If his dropping hasn't fired him up to come in and do a job, he's done his dash with the coach and fans i'd say. A similar story with Austin, if he doesn't come back in full of enthusiasm and ready to try earn his place, he now knows he's off to Mounties and we'll get by without him.

Best case scenario is these players come back in and help us maintain the rage from last week. This is going to be the biggest key this weekend, we have to be up for it like we were last Thursday because Parra's entire season is virtually on the line already and I predict they'll bring the aggression and spirit that we showed last week. This Parra side should be nowhere near 0-5, they're a good side on paper. Like GEM said above, if we don't win this weekend then Ricky is back to where he was after the Manly game.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Woodgers wrote: April 10, 2018, 7:07 pm This is going to be the biggest key this weekend, we have to be up for it like we were last Thursday because Parra's entire season is virtually on the line already and I predict they'll bring the aggression and spirit that we showed last week. This Parra side should be nowhere near 0-5, they're a good side on paper. Like GEM said above, if we don't win this weekend then Ricky is back to where he was after the Manly game.
Agreed with this, Parra are far better than their record suggests IMO, it's been a regular occurrence with Raiders teams over the years to overlook opponents and if they come in this week with anything less than the attitude we showed last week we could quite easily get rolled.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: April 10, 2018, 6:31 pm Blake Austin and Josh Papalii earn Canberra Raiders recall

They took their medicine and now high-profile Canberra Raiders duo Josh Papalii and Blake Austin have convinced coach Ricky Stuart they are ready to aim up.

"I’ve been very impressed with how Papa and Blake have taken their relegation. That’s why they’ve been selected again, they’ve taken their medicine," Stuart said. "There was no other way to take it, you’ve got to be professional about the situation, and they both have. They’re a big part of our squad and I need them both playing very well.

Ya see, it's this type of comment from the coach that annoys me.

"I've been very impressed with how Papa and Blake have taken their relegation. That's why they've been selected again, they've taken their medicine"

So it didn't matter if they dropped 100 balls, missed 100 tackles and generally stunk it up last week for Mounties..they took their axeing well and have been reinstated..

That's the way I'm reading it...

And it's just wrong.

You're dropped to reserve grade to work on your game..geez that's annoyed me.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 10, 2018, 6:31 pm Blake Austin and Josh Papalii earn Canberra Raiders recall

"I've been very impressed with how Papa and Blake have taken their relegation. That's why they've been selected again, they've taken their medicine"

So it didn't matter if they dropped 100 balls, missed 100 tackles and generally stunk it up last week for Mounties..they took their axeing well and have been reinstated..

And it's just wrong.

How do you know those two haven’t been training their butts off in the past 2 weeks, doing extra’s, etc to earn a recall. They may have sucked it up and put in at training

In Ricky We Trust
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Brew wrote:
-PJ- wrote:

And it's just wrong.

How do you know those two haven’t been training their butts off in the past 2 weeks, doing extra’s, etc to earn a recall. They may have sucked it up and put in at training

true, but who's to say Knight Rider wasn't either?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: April 10, 2018, 7:18 pm

And it's just wrong.

Blake Austin didn't play last week, the bottom line is he's the best option given Sam Williams' injury.

Josh Papalii did play last week, and these stats, despite the Mounties' loss, suggests he has earned a recall on field: https://www.nswrl.com.au/siteassets/com ... enrith.pdf
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, particularly Papalii who has earned a lot of it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: April 10, 2018, 7:23 pm
-PJ- wrote:

And it's just wrong.

Ok.. Then why not just say that ?

Blake and Papa have had a week at Mounties to work on a few things and I'm satisfied they're ready for a return to NRL. Not real hard brew....

And let's not forget..if Sam wasn't hurt Austin would still be at Mounties.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

So if Hingano hasn't recovered from concussion in time will Bateman move into hooker rotation?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Schifty wrote: April 10, 2018, 7:37 pm So if Hingano hasn't recovered from concussion in time will Bateman move into hooker rotation?
No..in true Stickystyle Bateman will play #7 while Sezer plays #9.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Woodgers wrote: April 10, 2018, 7:07 pm I'm not too disappointed about the recalled players. I would've picked Papalli on the bench to come on into the middle after the game is settled as well. If his dropping hasn't fired him up to come in and do a job, he's done his dash with the coach and fans i'd say. A similar story with Austin, if he doesn't come back in full of enthusiasm and ready to try earn his place, he now knows he's off to Mounties and we'll get by without him.

Best case scenario is these players come back in and help us maintain the rage from last week. This is going to be the biggest key this weekend, we have to be up for it like we were last Thursday because Parra's entire season is virtually on the line already and I predict they'll bring the aggression and spirit that we showed last week. This Parra side should be nowhere near 0-5, they're a good side on paper. Like GEM said above, if we don't win this weekend then Ricky is back to where he was after the Manly game.
Ditto
Long time creeper....... First time poster
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2018 Rd 6 V Eels: Teams and Previews

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

gergreg wrote: April 9, 2018, 8:42 pm
InFernos_Raiders wrote: April 9, 2018, 8:13 pm
Schifty wrote: April 9, 2018, 7:48 pm Eels are a rabble, Brad Arthur needs to venture into the stationery cupboard and see if he can find the old overhead projector..
It’s the ‘Hayne Virus’ just look at the Eels now compared to last season and then take a look at the Titans last year and now it’s the ‘Hayne Virus’.
I think losing Radradra is a bigger issue. He singlehandedly won them games last year. Plus they had the salary cap issues as a kind of motivation (us v them) type of inspiration.
True...
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote:
-PJ- wrote: April 10, 2018, 7:18 pm

And it's just wrong.

Blake Austin didn't play last week, the bottom line is he's the best option given Sam Williams' injury.

Josh Papalii did play last week, and these stats, despite the Mounties' loss, suggests he has earned a recall on field: https://www.nswrl.com.au/siteassets/com ... enrith.pdf
Producing those numbers demands a recall.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The alarm bells have sounded since Stick’s ridiculous presser statement of the players “making him apologise to them”. No, **** that. No **** apology required. It only reinforces the pampered, untouchable environment for that top 17 that got us into this situation in the first place.

I can see the eels doing us this week, but it won’t be specifically Austin, Papalii or another individual to blame - it will be this **** soft complacent mental approach to the game that seems to be our default (unless Stick short circuits it for a week here and there with his bluster).

All I’ll say is, you’ll know how it will go down by the end of the first set of 6 we defend (which last week was superb by the way, and resulted in a comfortable win). It’s about mentality.