Raiders penalised $150,000 for shifting NRL game to Wagga

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: Wagga to host Canberra Raiders NRL game in 2019 under Wagga City Council deal

Post by Timbo »

Bay53 wrote: August 28, 2018, 12:59 pm
Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 12:38 pm Yeah, I had a look on Google Maps. It's a bit on the fringes.

I did see they've dumped a fair bit of money into the main oval in the main bit of town, which also apparently has proper floodlights. Would that be considered as an option I wonder if they wanted us to play a night game?
That is Robertson Oval which is far more central. It is an AFL / cricket ground. They have used it in recent years for AFL preseason games and Shield cricket.

I doubt they would play there, they will play it at the NRL venue. As much of a sporting town as it is, it probably doesn’t boast the facilities of some of the other country NSW towns.
I can appreciate that, but it was deemed NRL standard for the City/Country match I guess, so it's obviously up to code.

It's also why I've wondered why we haven't looked at somewhere like Albury given that Lavington Sports Ground is one of the better rural grounds out there. But if Wagga is putting up the money, and we're taking the grant from the NSW Government for the CoE, then Wagga it is.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Wagga to host Canberra Raiders NRL game in 2019 under Wagga City Council deal

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: August 28, 2018, 12:32 pm
Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 12:07 pm They got 9200 to the City/Country Match that was played there a few years back.

If we got that vs. say, the Titans at Wagga it'd be a pretty cracking atmosphere.
I was at that game. We were in some corporate thing which really was just hay bales on the corner near the dressing rooms which are in the south west corner. I went for a walk on the Eastern hill and there really didn’t look to be any steepness to it. I am pretty sure there were no grandstand tickets available for purchase for the game.

We have played a couple of trials there. I am pretty sure we played the Bulldogs there one year and GE got there about 2 hours before the gates open to make sure we got seats in the grandstand.

I think Sieffert, Phillip Oval and the new facility at Gungahlin would all have better grandstands than the ground in Wagga. I have a feeling the Wagga ground was once called MacDonald Park but then changed to McDonalds Park due to a sponsorship with the Golden Arches. It is a bit out of town but on the Canberra side as you drive in.
The grandstand at Phillip probably has bigger capacity, but it's getting pretty old, and those slat seats are seriously narrow. But the community stadiums at Greenway is probably better, and Gungahlin is definitely better than the ground at Wagga. Gungahlin is better by a long way. Seiffert Oval is a better ground, even in it's current condition.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

greeneyed wrote: August 27, 2018, 9:00 pm So there it is confirmed... but no advice to members about what this means for their memberships that are about to automatically rollover. Nor what will be done for members in terms of facilities at Wagga and in particular what seats they have access to.
It's still early days.

I'm thinking I'll get a 6 game Bronze membership for 2019. That way, I'll still have a good selection of games to choose from.

As for shifting the game to the country, I don't mind something that pushes back against the infiltration of AFL into NSW country. Wagga is a pretty strong Aussie Rules region, though, so my issue is with them being the regional centre that gets the game even though they helpe get the funding for the Centre of Excellence from the NSW Government.

BTW, did I miss the bit that says how much Wagga Wagga Council will be paying the NRL/Raiders to stage the match there? Just asking since they pay for the Giants to stage games there.

I'm not too fussed about the game they get either since the chances are it will be the game against the Gold Coast or possibly the Cowboys. GC tends to attract smaller crowd numbers. I think that because of Thurston and the Army presence in Canberra, numbers for Cowboys matches were up due to the chance to see a marquee player and homesick ex-Townsville/FNQ residents. If the Cowboys have another crap season, that will just about set it in concrete that it will be game that goes to Wagga. Why open the gates at GIO if you're only going to get a tiny crowd especially if it's in Winter?
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: August 27, 2018, 10:43 pm The way it’s been described to me in the past is that the financial incentives are embodied in the Stadium deal (not a grant). But that could be wrong... happy to be corrected.
BTW, I stand corrected. The grounds are charged for use at "commercial" rates (the stadium lets out contracts for the operation of the games on match day, security etc etc and passes that on to the ground hirer). The Raiders, Brumbies and Giants then get grants from the ACT government for staging events in Canberra. The Raiders get the least per match subsidy, the Giants by far the most. So Bay 53, you were correct!

What is essentially happening here, is that the Wagga City Council is providing a better financial incentive to stage a match than the ACT government is at present. It's embarassing for the ACT... well it would be if they cared two zots about rugby league. Which they don't.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gilby_gillard wrote: August 28, 2018, 1:24 pm I’m an away member so doesn’t impact me.

However I assume this means we won’t lose a home game to the ‘Magic Round’

Potetially that may have happened if we didn’t do something like this?
Yep, that was already going to be a Raiders away game... can't remember who said it, but I think it was someone from the club on ABC radio.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 1:28 pm
Bay53 wrote: August 28, 2018, 12:59 pm
Timbo wrote: August 28, 2018, 12:38 pm Yeah, I had a look on Google Maps. It's a bit on the fringes.

I did see they've dumped a fair bit of money into the main oval in the main bit of town, which also apparently has proper floodlights. Would that be considered as an option I wonder if they wanted us to play a night game?
That is Robertson Oval which is far more central. It is an AFL / cricket ground. They have used it in recent years for AFL preseason games and Shield cricket.

I doubt they would play there, they will play it at the NRL venue. As much of a sporting town as it is, it probably doesn’t boast the facilities of some of the other country NSW towns.
I can appreciate that, but it was deemed NRL standard for the City/Country match I guess, so it's obviously up to code.

It's also why I've wondered why we haven't looked at somewhere like Albury given that Lavington Sports Ground is one of the better rural grounds out there. But if Wagga is putting up the money, and we're taking the grant from the NSW Government for the CoE, then Wagga it is.
Lavington is probably good for AFL, but an awful ground for rugby league. There is a big hill on one side, but the sideline is a mile from it. The only grandstand is at one end of the ground. And the western sideline, has very limited standing space only.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BTW... I'm told there will be a members email this afternoon sometime explaining more... and members will have an early buying window for Wagga. The effective costs of memberships are going up, given the reduced game... but the members email will give the whole explanation.
Ezy
Brett Mullins

Post by Ezy »

As a Canberra-based member, I think this is a great initiative. The NRL don't seem to have the means (or drive) to match the AFL investment in regional areas, so taking premiership games out there is the next best thing IMO.

Happy to overlook the membership price thing for the sake of the bigger picture.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:I’ll no doubt go to the game. I’ll drive, and I’ll stay overnight at least. Six hours in a car in a day plus an 80 minute game is too much for me these days, especially if it’s a late night drive (though I suspect it’ll have to be a day game given the lighting). I won’t be going in a bus!
Wagga has hosted City Country at night, I'm sure the lights are fine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah as a Sydney member, and former country bumpkin, I’m happy with this decision. I think it’s a great initiative, and Football needs to go out to the country areas.

Considering the NRL decided to ditch City/Country, I think this is a good alternative

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

-TW- wrote: August 28, 2018, 4:09 pm
greeneyed wrote:I’ll no doubt go to the game. I’ll drive, and I’ll stay overnight at least. Six hours in a car in a day plus an 80 minute game is too much for me these days, especially if it’s a late night drive (though I suspect it’ll have to be a day game given the lighting). I won’t be going in a bus!
City/Country was a Sunday arvo game when they hosted it at McDonalds Park, the current ground.

Eric Weisel Oval was when it was played at night, which has been since torn down I believe.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Will there be a Viking Clap?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

hobbsy wrote:Will there be a Viking Clap?
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Timbo wrote:
-TW- wrote: August 28, 2018, 4:09 pm
City/Country was a Sunday arvo game when they hosted it at McDonalds Park, the current ground.

Eric Weisel Oval was when it was played at night, which has been since torn down I believe.
Didn't know that.

Bloody developers
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Yeah as a Sydney member, and former country bumpkin, I’m happy with this decision. I think it’s a great initiative, and Football needs to go out to the country areas.

Considering the NRL decided to ditch City/Country, I think this is a good alternative

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Apparently a condition of the Super League/ARL truce was that there was to be a game a round taken to the Bush and regional areas. This didn't happen obviously.

The Raiders and the game needs this sort of thing to happen and continue into the future. If that means I pay the same as this year for a membership and have to pay for this game then I am fine with that.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to negotiate Canberra Stadium deal to shift to Wagga

The Canberra Raiders will meet with ACT government officials in the coming weeks in the hope of securing flexibility to their stadium contract after shifting a home NRL fixture to Wagga for the next two years. The Raiders have a deal wth the government to play every home match at Canberra Stadium until the end of 2019 and it's understood changing or breaking the arrangement could incur a fine if the parties cannot agree.

A government spokeswoman said: "The ACT government’s agreement with the Raiders - set to expire in December 2019 - requires them to play all home games at [Canberra] Stadium. We’ll seek a discussion with the Raiders in the context of [Tuesday's] announcement."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5006e.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Under 20s to be called the "Riverina Raiders" and play six games in the region...
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

greeneyed wrote:Under 20s to be called the "Riverina Raiders" and play six games in the region...
I like it!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I support that too... provided they're playing the other half their home games in Canberra. We need to get our Under 20s team, at least, back home.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

As someone with extensive family heritage in the Riverina, I love this idea.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

I hate it. We aren't good enough to be giving up home games. We were 7/5 at home this year and deadset should've been 12-0. Threw 5 away. We've been dreadful on the road. 3/8. Giving up a home game could be the difference between making the 8 or not. It shouldn't if you're a good enough side. But it could.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Hazza wrote:I hate it. We aren't good enough to be giving up home games. We were 7/5 at home this year and deadset should've been 12-0. Threw 5 away. We've been dreadful on the road. 3/8. Giving up a home game could be the difference between making the 8 or not. It shouldn't if you're a good enough side. But it could.
Then we need to get better, simple as that! You don't ignore growing the brand and the game simply cause of form. Our form has been terrible no matter where we are!

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

100%green wrote: August 29, 2018, 10:53 am
Hazza wrote:I hate it. We aren't good enough to be giving up home games. We were 7/5 at home this year and deadset should've been 12-0. Threw 5 away. We've been dreadful on the road. 3/8. Giving up a home game could be the difference between making the 8 or not. It shouldn't if you're a good enough side. But it could.
Then we need to get better, some as that! You don't ignore growing the brand and the game simply cause of form. Our form has been terrible no matter where we are!

Fair enough. I do agree that if you're any sort of serious side you should be able to win anywhere. I don't think our form has been terrible at home this year though.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

100%green wrote: August 29, 2018, 10:13 am
greeneyed wrote:Under 20s to be called the "Riverina Raiders" and play six games in the region...
I like it!

Sorry, but Don Junior can shove that idea right up his clack hole.

Rebranding at this level is the thin edge of the wedge prior to a major rebrand for the whole of an organisation later on.

I recall a former CEO bitching about small crowds at Canberra Stadium and how they would be better off moving games to the Central Coast. To me, that was a hint of relocation at the time. Then, I became aware of the Canberra District RL charter which would make relocation difficult if not impossible.

However, if you start talking about renaming your juniors, then relocating them suddenly comes onto the radar.

PS, I'll bet Canberra Milk will be unimpressed if management tries to get the juniors Riverina Milk as a sponsor.

100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

yurithe1 wrote:
I like it!

Rebranding at this level is the thin edge of the wedge prior to a major rebrand for the whole of an organisation later on.

I recall a former CEO bitching about small crowds at Canberra Stadium and how they would be better off moving games to the Central Coast. To me, that was a hint of relocation at the time. Then, I became aware of the Canberra District RL charter which would make relocation difficult if not impossible.

However, if you start talking about renaming your juniors, then relocating them suddenly comes onto the radar.

PS, I'll bet Canberra Milk will be unimpressed if management tries to get the juniors Riverina Milk as a sponsor.
I think that's going a bit far. What he said back then was to get a rise from the government and the fans and it worked at the time.

This region should be ours and I see a branding like this making that clear.

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

So we didn’t even get approval from the ACT Gov to take away a home game before committing to the Wagga match... classic Raiders.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

-GD- wrote: August 29, 2018, 11:44 am So we didn’t even get approval from the ACT Gov to take away a home game before committing to the Wagga match... classic Raiders.
Despite the grief he gets for being a Furner, Don Jnr usually gets the management side of things right. This and the temp rebranding are fails regardless of what his surname is.

yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

100%green wrote: August 29, 2018, 11:32 am
yurithe1 wrote:
I like it!

I think that's going a bit far. What he said back then was to get a rise from the government and the fans and it worked at the time.

This region should be ours and I see a branding like this making that clear.

The only time I'll get behind rebranding of this club is if a sponsor puts in major dollars. I still hope to see the Canberra Apple Raiders playing at a brand new Apple Stadium even though that is expecting Raiders management to go after a bigger global player than Huawei and the kind of leadership and lateral thinking that is pretty much absent on all sides of all ACT local government.

Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Since our current U20's pathway is the Mount Pritchard Mounties, I would argue this is an improvement?
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

greeneyed wrote: August 29, 2018, 10:12 am Under 20s to be called the "Riverina Raiders" and play six games in the region...
That is absolutely a positive and should be applauded.

On the subject of the fine for moving the game away, wearing my hat as an ACT taxpayer, I firmly believe it should be enforced. I think it is perfectly reasonable the club should lose 1/12th of the government grant.

The ACT govt puts up this money to get big events to the city where we would otherwise struggle due to our size. It is so the residents of the ACT can enjoy these events and the businesses can enjoy the economic benefits. If that is being taken away, so should the funding.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Then we need to get better, simple as that! You don't ignore growing the brand and the game simply cause of form. Our form has been terrible no matter where we are!

To be honest, I'm not sure that taking a home game away is necessary to "grow the brand". I can remember quite a few opportunites to do that the Raiders have not taken in recent years, when they have been "taken" to regional centres - and they've done minimal promotion. There was promotional work in the community at Mudgee, but I can remember other visits to country towns when there has been nothing done... not even the simple thing of opening up training to fans/members.

There are big Raiders fans bases in Queensland... and some very good things were done when the team had a training camp pre season on the Sunshine Coast. But nothing when visiting Townsville, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

I know it is difficult when the players are preparing for a game, or recovering and travelling. And winning football games is the most critical thing. But one function for members/fans on a trip like that, it should be possible to incorporate in the planning.

I also don't understand why the NRL is encouraging the Raiders to take games to country areas, when we already are in the middle of southern NSW, and the only club "in" the country. One team towns should not be sacrificing home games, as there is already limited supply of games, compared to Sydney. Fans of Sydney clubs have the opportunity to attend many more games than 12 in their own city.

I know this is a quid pro quo for NSW Government funding for the Centre of Excellence. But if we were consistent in our desire to "grow the brand", we'd be doing a lot more promotional work every time we are taken by another club to the bush. And we could do just as much, without sacrificing one of our home games.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Timbo wrote: August 29, 2018, 12:28 pm Since our current U20's pathway is the Mount Pritchard Mounties, I would argue this is an improvement?
Yep. I'd rather have Canberra teams in NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg... which spread some of their home games around the region. But it is is an improvement on the current situation.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

greeneyed wrote:

To be honest, I'm not sure that taking a home game away is necessary to "grow the brand". I can remember quite a few opportunites to do that the Raiders have not taken in recent years, when they have been "taken" to regional centres - and they've done minimal promotion. There was promotional work in the community at Mudgee, but I can remember other visits to country towns when there has been nothing done... not even the simple thing of opening up training to fans/members.

There are big Raiders fans bases in Queensland... and some very good things were done when the team had a training camp pre season on the Sunshine Coast. But nothing when visiting Townsville, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

I know it is difficult when the players are preparing for a game, or recovering and travelling. And winning football games is the most critical thing. But one function for members/fans on a trip like that, it should be possible to incorporate in the planning.

I also don't understand why the NRL is encouraging the Raiders to take games to country areas, when we already are in the middle of southern NSW, and the only club "in" the country. One team towns should not be sacrificing home games, as there is already limited supply of games, compared to Sydney. Fans of Sydney clubs have the opportunity to attend many more games than 12 in their own city.

I know this is a quid pro quo for NSW Government funding for the Centre of Excellence. But if we were consistent in our desire to "grow the brand", we'd be doing a lot more promotional work every time we are taken by another club to the bush. And we could do just as much, without sacrificing one of our home games.
And this should be a week long event for the Raiders in Wagga... no point in taking a game the and doing nothing. But 11 home games plus one in the bush and regions should be mandatory for all clubs!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't see why, given that penalises the one team cities.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

greeneyed wrote:I don't see why, given that penalises the one team cities.
How???