Eels 13+
42%

Total votes: 12

SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: 2019 Trial 1 V Eels: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by SeeBee101 »

Really surprised that Oldfield wasn't picked in this squad. You would think it would a good chance to see CHK/Simmonson/Abbey/Oldfield in the FB and wing positions to decide which one to run with....
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Oldy locked in on the wingyou would think
Dont delete this GE
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

simo wrote:Oldy locked in on the wingyou would think
Yep. Big story of this game will be the battle for fullback between CNK and Simmonson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Danaman137 wrote:
simo wrote:Oldy locked in on the wingyou would think
Yep. Big story of this game will be the battle for fullback between CNK and Simmonson

maybe cotric is the fullback

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Ricky is paying lip service to our first trial match. The 12 FGers left out should be practicing the fixes to their defensive failures of the last 2 seasons. Instead we see a 'no name' group of players most of whom will be in reggie's all year. Ricky, secure in the knowledge he won't be sacked, has again let an opportunity to improve team performance, through practice, pass him by.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders have first Charnze to stake claim for round one

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has thrown the challenge down - who wants to be part of the Green Machine come round one?

"It's more about giving some younger players an opportunity to play against first-graders, which I do every year," Stuart said. "It's good for our youth in seeing what it's like playing against NRL players. There's guys in there that will be playing towards being chosen for the trial the week after. They're playing to get a potential start for the Dogs trial."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50xpe.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Canberra Raiders recruit Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad ready for fullback fight

New team, new country, all in the space of a week. That's the whirlwind 23-year-old Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has been through ahead of his Raiders debut in Friday night's first trial match against the Eels.

"It came about pretty quickly, I got a call saying there might be an opportunity here and I got told if it happens it'll happen quickly and it did," Nicoll-Klokstad said. "I didn't realise how tough it was going to be until I got the OK that everything was going to be finalised and then it hit me - I was going to be leaving boys I'd got to know over four years."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/14/cha ... ack-fight/

VIDEO: Nicoll-Klokstad: I want to lock down a spot in the team

New signing Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is determined to make an impression in Friday night's trial against the Parramata Eels.

"There's an opportunity here but obviously there is strong competition for a spot and the only thing I can do is put my best foot forward," Nicoll-Klokstad said.

Read more and video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... -the-team/
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 14, 2019, 12:11 pm I also dont think this trial is that important. It isnt going to be much different to a training run. Players will be coming on and off and all in different positions. The opposition isnt really going to offer too much in the sense of regular first grade game. It wont offer a genuine guide to where we are or need to be. Both clubs are treating it similar , basically all clubs are doing the same thing
Eels are only missing 4 or 5 players from their strongest 17 - Will 'Fresh Prince' Smith, Pritchard (though Mahoney sounds like he has got the 9), Taka, Ma'u, Nathan Brown. Arthur has also suggested that his strongest 17 will play the 1st 40mins. So the above statement doesnt sound very true to me.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

And there’s the “charnze” headline, who was it that called it?

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Danaman137 wrote: February 14, 2019, 1:27 pm And there’s the “charnze” headline, who was it that called it?

:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

OK, what can this trial actually tell us now?

If they blow us off the paddock, oh well because they've named a virtual first-grade side and we've left out our ten best players.

If we beat them, oh well it's just last years spooners and their firsts squad is clearly taking it easy.

This was an opportunity to see how our best could actually match up against NRL standard opponents and how the combinations are going. But oh well Ricky knows best.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

"I’m sick of it": Canberra Raiders new co-captain Josh Hodgson not going to let history of missed finals repeat

Star Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson is sick of watching the NRL finals from his couch. Since arriving from England for the 2015 season, the 29-year-old has enjoyed just one taste of play-off action at the Raiders. But having Hodgson available from round one is only adding to the optimism in the nation’s capital.

“I’m sick of watching other teams play finals,” Hodgson said. “I can’t put Fox Sports on anymore when it’s finals time because I’m sick of seeing the ads with everyone else in it.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6655b32375
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Matt wrote: February 14, 2019, 1:25 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 14, 2019, 12:11 pm I also dont think this trial is that important. It isnt going to be much different to a training run. Players will be coming on and off and all in different positions. The opposition isnt really going to offer too much in the sense of regular first grade game. It wont offer a genuine guide to where we are or need to be. Both clubs are treating it similar , basically all clubs are doing the same thing
Eels are only missing 4 or 5 players from their strongest 17 - Will 'Fresh Prince' Smith, Pritchard (though Mahoney sounds like he has got the 9), Taka, Ma'u, Nathan Brown. Arthur has also suggested that his strongest 17 will play the 1st 40mins. So the above statement doesnt sound very true to me.
How is it untrue. I dont think they are going to line up in their combinations for the majority of the match. Players will be coming on and off throughout the game.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: February 14, 2019, 1:28 pm
Danaman137 wrote: February 14, 2019, 1:27 pm And there’s the “charnze” headline, who was it that called it?

ABBA sang about this bloke 'Take a Charnze on me' - and we did !!
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Nice my nephew made the trial squad :)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Trial 1 V Eels: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

No offence Manbush, but everyone’s nephew made the trial squad. Who are those people?

**** hell Ricky.

P.S. seriously though, that’s cool bushy
Last edited by gangrenous on February 14, 2019, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bailey Simonsson in Sevens heaven following Canberra Raiders upgrade

Working with the best will only help make you the best, which is why Canberra Raiders back Bailey Simonsson says his time with the All Blacks Sevens will be invaluable.

"I learnt a lot, most importantly was my time in New Zealand with the team there," Simonsson said of his journey from Canberra and back again. "Some of the boys I got to play with there were the best players in the world so it was really humbling and some of the small things I learnt off them were things I've taken here to try and improve my game.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50xty.html

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders back Bailey Simonsson looking to impress ahead of Parramatta Eels trial

Capable of playing at fullback or winger, former All Black Sevens player Bailey Simonsson is eager to make an impression ahead of tomorrow's trial against the Parramatta Eels.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... eels-tril/
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Let's not use the Eels as an example as to how to do anything.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Matt wrote: February 14, 2019, 1:28 pm

Thatd be me
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Manbush wrote: February 14, 2019, 4:19 pm Nice my nephew made the trial squad :)
Congrats to him
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: February 14, 2019, 5:54 pm
Let's not use the Eels as an example as to how to do anything.
Normally Id agree, but in this case Im with Arthur
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Not me. There are a few positions up for grabs and I want the players in contention to get as many minutes as possible.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:Nice my nephew made the trial squad :)
BUSHY!

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

This management team is a complete joke. Seriously I was thinking about heading to the trial tomorrow night but why bother now.

We will be 4 losses and 0 wins in the first 4 rounds again. Our coach just doesn’t get it.

I didn’t renew my membership this year out of protest and I was thinking about changing my mind but this latest move for the trial match just consolidated my decision

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I like the squad picked for this trial.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LastRaider wrote:This management team is a complete joke. Seriously I was thinking about heading to the trial tomorrow night but why bother now.

We will be 4 losses and 0 wins in the first 4 rounds again. Our coach just doesn’t get it.

I didn’t renew my membership this year out of protest and I was thinking about changing my mind but this latest move for the trial match just consolidated my decision

I've been tossing up whether to renew. I'll probably just get a cheaper option this year, we're all suckers.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote: February 14, 2019, 7:51 pm
BUSHY!

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
DUBSTER!!!
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t see anyone called Manbush in the team.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

From my half brother so didn’t get the Bushy name, though his side did obviously get the sporting ability not mine. :lol:
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

Is anyone doing a stream of the trial like some of our trials in previous years?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Greedysmurf wrote:Is anyone doing a stream of the trial like some of our trials in previous years?
First post of the thread has on line broadcast details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Braddrew
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

LastRaider wrote: February 14, 2019, 7:58 pm This management team is a complete joke. Seriously I was thinking about heading to the trial tomorrow night but why bother now.

:lol: :lol: Not a single ball has been kicked yet and you’ve thrown in the towel for the year.
Why bother supporting the team at all?
:roflmao

Do you understand that some of these players are on a ‘train and trial’ contract? They need to be given a trial game. It also makes perfect sense to me to give our fringe players and players fighting for starting spots in our team, the chance to start a game to prove their worth against an NRL team. That way we can see if they’re up for it.
I’d say the rest of the squad will play 40-60min against the dogs, which is plenty of game time if we’ve had a sharp pre-season
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Unfortunately 40 minutes trial time has not proven to be enough for the top players the past two years in their preparation. You can’t properly test and build combinations in 40 minutes. We’ve been repeatedly told that pre season training is enough... pre season trials are unnecessary... but the past two seasons have shown that strategy is a failed strategy.

The players on train and trial deals already know they’re not getting a top 30 contract. Playing a trial makes no difference to that. If a trial is necessary for that... we should be playing a third trial.
Braddrew
Gary Coyne

Post by Braddrew »

What about 2016 then GE? We only played one trial didn’t we? People were happy with that at the time.
Braddrew
Gary Coyne

Post by Braddrew »

Our slow starts to the previous two years have been because of our inability to close out games in the last 20min. Since this continued throughout the year, people can’t possibly say it’s due to a lack of trial games? Really? It was happening in rounds 15-26