Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by greeneyed »

When you say "this place", I'm assuming you mean the "world"... or "Australia"... or even "Canberra"... people have different opinions. :)

Elliott Whitehead hasn't set the world on fire in the opening games, but he is amongst the best players in the world, and certainly in the top few players in his position IMO. He'll get back to his best pretty quickly.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

edwahu wrote:No doubt he is going well but you could go back and find similar posts about Robinson, Milne, Zillman, Chalk etc. I don't think we should be totally out of the market for a fullback yet.
Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The bigger risk with million dollar players is the contract length. There are very few players that play at that level year after year. In the past decade only Smith, JT, Slater and Cronk have performed at the level deserving of a million dollars a year, consistently. Some others show brilliance for a year but fail to back it up.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: April 6, 2019, 11:56 am The bigger risk with million dollar players is the contract length. There are very few players that play at that level year after year. In the past decade only Smith, JT, Slater and Cronk have performed at the level deserving of a million dollars a year, consistently. Some others show brilliance for a year but fail to back it up.

I agree with this gergreg. That dude from the Cowboys is on $1m a year for the next 9yrs. We don't know what he's form will be like in the last few years of his deal.

Buddy Franklin is 6yrs into a 10yr deal with the Swans and he's definately not the same player..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

-PJ- wrote: April 6, 2019, 1:04 pm
gergreg wrote: April 6, 2019, 11:56 am The bigger risk with million dollar players is the contract length. There are very few players that play at that level year after year. In the past decade only Smith, JT, Slater and Cronk have performed at the level deserving of a million dollars a year, consistently. Some others show brilliance for a year but fail to back it up.

I agree with this gergreg. That dude from the Cowboys is on $1m a year for the next 9yrs. We don't know what he's form will be like in the last few years of his deal.

Buddy Franklin is 6yrs into a 10yr deal with the Swans and he's definately not the same player..
Hahaha. "That dude"? Like it.

I agree with the observation about how few players there are worthy of a million bucks but you've got to factor in the depreciating value of a million dollars a year. I reckon "that dude" is worth it. He's worth it now (300m in one game!) and was worth it last season, and is highly likely to be the best lock in the comp for the next few years. When he starts slipping, it will only be marginally (unless he cops a massive injury - which is the real risk with long-term contracts) but by that time $1M won't be the top salary.

Five years ago, Campo was on $500K a season and it was a lot of money. In five years' time, Taumalolo will still be on $1M and it'll be a middle-tier salary. And he'll only be 30 years-old.

Still, I'd be happy if we never offered anyone a ten-year deal.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

1m is also just a number. I mean DCE is a "million dollar player" but the salary gap between him and Lolo is bigger than the one between Lolo and James Tamou.

I reckon the value you get for your 600 to 800k players is most important, that seems to be the sweet spot where the good sides get a heap of high performers. However evidence suggests you still need a couple of players in a tier above that to actually win a comp.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

TongueFTW wrote: April 5, 2019, 12:15 pm
Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:29 am
PigRickman wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:16 am
PigRickman wrote: March 30, 2019, 1:37 pm what’s a bad TPJ night? 70 minutes, 18 runs, 170+ yards and he’s 23 years old
Just to follow up from this... again for context.
Is TPJ worth a million dollars?...hmmm, well everyone is talking about how bad his last two weeks have been...
This week
67 minutes, 16 runs, 124 metres.

Again, these are games where compared to his usual standard, people are cracking jokes about him playing his way into our price range, saying that he's lazy, and soft. Calling him a pea heart.
The guy has apparently thrown up a two week stint worthy of mockery, which amounts to an average output of about 70 MIN/16 HU/150 M / 30+ TKS
Yeah, that guy is getting 1mil a year and he deserves every cent of it.
Pig, this is one of those situations where the stats Flat out lie. He was recently involved with the ball, I will give you that, but he didn’t do a whole lot with it. Overall,TPJ was a huge net negative for the Broncos last night. He missed crucial tackles and gave away impactful penalties. And most of his “work”In defence was Jersey grabbing or third man flopping. It looks to me indicative of an attitude that flat out sucked, hence my concerned post. I can see where other commentators are at with the assessment that he appears to feel as though he is worth the price tag without yet having the runs on the board.
He made a mistake or two last night as well - however, I think Pig's point is more that even if he is not worth 1m now, you are also paying for potential. It is similar to the people saying Ponga was unproven after his handful for games for NQL and how he did not deserve the big contract for the Knights. It is about getting value over the entire length of the contract, there will be times during that contract where you will feel that you are over/under paying.

My point is rather simple.
He's playing like EDIT and putting up stats that would make most forward blush with embarrassment. That's how good TPJ is, even playing EDIT he's better than 95% of forwards in the game.
And yeah, he's obviously got the best forward in the game potential.

He's getting paid, now you can sit here and say to me you dont think we should be the ones to pay it, that we dont have the ability to take on such high salaries and our best bet to win is to do as we're doing with the Soap Dodgers and taking chances on guys like Beej and hope that it all clicks one year.

But you cant tell me TPJ isnt "worth" 1m a year. His worth is what the market is willing to pay and you better believe his 2020 take him pay (by hook or crook, probably crook if Uncle Nick's putter is at play) will be above 1mil
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

TPJ isn't worth $1mill per year
He just isn't.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If someone pays him, they’re going to have to bank on him significantly improving his defensive intelligence and attitude. Last 2 weeks have shown it to be worse than I thought.
But gee he’s just dynamic with ball in hand. It’s just so obvious his very near future is to be one of the top 5 most influential players in the comp. That’s your money spot
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Beejay wrote:If someone pays him, they’re going to have to bank on him significantly improving his defensive intelligence and attitude. Last 2 weeks have shown it to be worse than I thought.
But gee he’s just dynamic with ball in hand. It’s just so obvious his very near future is to be one of the top 5 most influential players in the comp. That’s your money spot
He is trying to be 'that guy" that swings momentum in d. Because the Broncos don't have any other x factor player from 1 to 17. Can't fault him too much for that.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dogman7
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John bateman

Post by Dogman7 »

Looks like Joe greenwood Wigan might be joing raiders
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Put TPJ next to Sia for a year or two... Honestly if he wants to play like (not just earn) $1Mill that would get him close.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dogman7 wrote: April 6, 2019, 8:24 pm Looks like Joe greenwood Wigan might be joing raiders
Why do you say that?
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Dogman7 wrote: April 6, 2019, 8:24 pm Looks like Joe greenwood Wigan might be joing raiders
Had a year and a half doing OK at the Titans. Decent player and a good leader, but hardly and area the Raiders need to recruit in.
Dogman7
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John bateman

Post by Dogman7 »

I watched Castleford v Wigan last night commenter said there is rumours of him joing next season
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Extremely hard pass. Plodder who looked very average at the competition’s weakest franchise. Next!

We are going to be “linked” with any half decent English player now due to our recent recruitment decisions. I wouldn’t believe everything you hear though.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

PigRickman wrote: April 6, 2019, 6:37 pm
TongueFTW wrote: April 5, 2019, 12:15 pm
Rickmando wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:29 am
PigRickman wrote: April 5, 2019, 11:16 am
PigRickman wrote: March 30, 2019, 1:37 pm what’s a bad TPJ night? 70 minutes, 18 runs, 170+ yards and he’s 23 years old
Just to follow up from this... again for context.
Is TPJ worth a million dollars?...hmmm, well everyone is talking about how bad his last two weeks have been...
This week
67 minutes, 16 runs, 124 metres.

Again, these are games where compared to his usual standard, people are cracking jokes about him playing his way into our price range, saying that he's lazy, and soft. Calling him a pea heart.
The guy has apparently thrown up a two week stint worthy of mockery, which amounts to an average output of about 70 MIN/16 HU/150 M / 30+ TKS
Yeah, that guy is getting 1mil a year and he deserves every cent of it.
Pig, this is one of those situations where the stats Flat out lie. He was recently involved with the ball, I will give you that, but he didn’t do a whole lot with it. Overall,TPJ was a huge net negative for the Broncos last night. He missed crucial tackles and gave away impactful penalties. And most of his “work”In defence was Jersey grabbing or third man flopping. It looks to me indicative of an attitude that flat out sucked, hence my concerned post. I can see where other commentators are at with the assessment that he appears to feel as though he is worth the price tag without yet having the runs on the board.
He made a mistake or two last night as well - however, I think Pig's point is more that even if he is not worth 1m now, you are also paying for potential. It is similar to the people saying Ponga was unproven after his handful for games for NQL and how he did not deserve the big contract for the Knights. It is about getting value over the entire length of the contract, there will be times during that contract where you will feel that you are over/under paying.

My point is rather simple.
He's playing like EDIT and putting up stats that would make most forward blush with embarrassment. That's how good TPJ is, even playing EDIT he's better than 95% of forwards in the game.
And yeah, he's obviously got the best forward in the game potential.

He's getting paid, now you can sit here and say to me you dont think we should be the ones to pay it, that we dont have the ability to take on such high salaries and our best bet to win is to do as we're doing with the Soap Dodgers and taking chances on guys like Beej and hope that it all clicks one year.

But you cant tell me TPJ isnt "worth" 1m a year. His worth is what the market is willing to pay and you better believe his 2020 take him pay (by hook or crook, probably crook if Uncle Nick's putter is at play) will be above 1mil
Agree on his “market value”.

Don’t agree on you rolling out stats at us. TPJ is failing the eye test, and not exactly racking up stats, in the “other” half of his game. His defence is shocking.

Now if you sign him to a big $1M+ annual cheque, you should be hoping like hell you have someone who can teach him both technique and discipline in the defensive aspects of the game. Both are sub-par. As in, below replacement level, currently. This is 50% of his job description!

Im sorry, I don’t care if he’s amazing with ball in hand - he’s currently doing half his job out there
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If we continue playing as well as we are and Williams is signed + Rapana retained, then imo the long term risk of a big money signing needs to be heavily discounted. We would be trying to genuinely win a comp next year.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

edwahu wrote: April 7, 2019, 12:05 pm If we continue playing as well as we are and Williams is signed + Rapana retained, then imo the long term risk of a big money signing needs to be heavily discounted. We would be trying to genuinely win a comp next year.
Yeah. I think we are a quality number 7 away. Williams would be that guy.

Current Williams could also be that guy if Hodgo gets to Cam Smith level and stays there.
Last edited by Green eyed Mick on April 7, 2019, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

7-800k would he be worth the risk?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Just about every side in the comp is spending upwards of $700K on their number one half, except probably Melbourne and the Warriors.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Williams is supposed to be coming for less than that, more like 400 or 500k. We would still need at least another elite talent to compete with the Roosters regardless, and that's with us getting a lot better and assuming they win this year and get bored next season. They are ridiculously stacked.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

sprintman wrote: April 5, 2019, 8:09 pm Dylan Edwards moved from fullback to the wing at half time tonight, he’s struggling. Anybody want him over CKD?
Edwards was killing it before he got injured. All he needs is time. That entire club is playing below par at the moment.
But even if you weren't comparing them on talent we're getting CNK way cheaper than what we would have had to pay Edwards.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

So John batemens instagram comment to Oliver Gildart.....”cant wait for you to get here next year”........anyone know what thats about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: April 6, 2019, 8:47 pm Put TPJ next to Sia for a year or two... Honestly if he wants to play like (not just earn) $1Mill that would get him close.
Indeed.
I wonder what it would cost us in terms of personnel, to get TPJ on top of Georgey Boy...
Sezer and Sam Williams could go, we'd have Wighton, George with Hingano and promote some other young kid to develop on min wage... and then we might have to lose one other really good player like Raps?

But yeah, i think if you got TPJ back down here, with Sia mentoring him... i think he could be the 2nd best forward in the world behind Lolo (John Bateman has obviously been excluded from this due to the fairness to others.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

roneel78 wrote: April 8, 2019, 8:53 am So John batemens instagram comment to Oliver Gildart.....”cant wait for you to get here next year”........anyone know what thats about?

Croker not invited to the party 😂
WorkChoice
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

roneel78 wrote: April 8, 2019, 8:53 am So John batemens instagram comment to Oliver Gildart.....”cant wait for you to get here next year”........anyone know what thats about?

Probably just being a cheeky aunt.
Braddrew
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Braddrew »

Where is all this TPJ talk coming from? Does someone have a reliable source that he is in talks with us?
They way he left the club, I would assume the Raiders would want nothing to do with him. And on that same note I would assume he would want nothing to do with us as he couldn’t wait to leave the club.
He went behind the Raiders backs to phone Wayne Bennett and ask if he could get him to the Broncos. He’s been quoted in saying he had a falling out with Ricky.
Plus every club in the NRL is chasing him, there is just no way he picks Canberra to come back to.
Just my opinion, but he either stays with the broncos, goes with Wayne to Souths, heads back home to Newcastle or takes the brown paper bags at the Roosters. He doesn’t come to Canberra over those options, I just can’t see it
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I found it hard to believe myself but plenty of others on here that I would trust have it as gospel that he made enquiries about coming back last year. He has heaps of mates in the team still and was definitely regularly down here visiting.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

TPJ absolutely approached us about coming back and was told the only way we could make the money work was if he waited another year. He then went and signed a 12 month contract with the Broncos so read into that what you will. Whether we still want him noting the rapidly inflating price tag and the emergence of Bateman and Sutton time will tell. We are certainly not out of the conversation not that anyone credits us with any chance.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Add to that his father being unwell and living in Canberra.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I reckon the Bennett story is extremely suss as well. The rumour that Wayne had approached him broke on here in September but he only signed with them when he was legally able to. If you read the story, he rang Bennett for advice and he offered him a deal straight away. I reckon it was 100% tampering by him and I doubt it was totally initiated by TPJ, given Bennet has also said his number 1 priority when he came back to Brisbane was to sign every good young forward in the game.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

IMO the only reason TPJ isnt worth the 1 mill contracts being suggested, he has 2 dodgy hammies. If Im paying a bloke that kind of coin, he needs to be playing 80-85% of games (as a forward, you expect the odd wear and tear injuries and the odd suspension).

2017 - missed 6 games between Rd 7 and Rd 13. Also missed Rd 3 and Rd 25. Missing a third of the yr. YUK!
2018 - missed Rd 4, 13, 16, 18 (Im sure 2 of those are byes) - only 2 games is pretty good TBH. There are 4 games of 32mins or less though. I know that were Bennett nursing him through games because of the hammies. That said, in 1 of them he won the game in that opening stint, I think vs Panthers I think.
2019 - now has to sit for a 2 game suspension.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

TPJ would be a quality signing ( not for 1 million ) . Would it take 1 million to get him hear with his Dad ( heart attack ) and family living here?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

I can't see TPJ getting $1Million a year. He's not consistent enough IMO.